Live on board the Dawn- misc. comments

A Tucson Guy

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

A Tucson Guy was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Currently just got on the Dawn on Monday in Lisbon. The ship is apparently fully booked and we don't feel any crowds. There were open tables last night in La Dame and the same on Monday in SALT restaurant. On the daily Chronicles regarding dress code, there is no mention of "Levi's not allowed". I saw Levis last night in La Dame and a few with no ties and it was formal night. For us, dinner in La Dame was worth every penny of the upcharge. Monday and tonight were casual night and Levis are allowed with no problems. One comment on SS air for us. We just had a summer cruise to Copenhagen Bus Air and it was perfect. Getting to Lisbon on SS air last Sat. was also perfect- so far, so good. If you have questions, please ask and I will try to answer when I have the time. Overall we are loving the Dawn and looking forward to the Nova in August of 2023.

• Like 6

23 hours ago, A Tucson Guy said:

Currently just got on the Dawn on Monday in Lisbon. The ship is apparently fully booked and we don't feel any crowds. There were open tables last night in La Dame and the same on Monday in SALT restaurant. On the daily Chronicles regarding dress code, there is no mention of "Levi's not allowed". I saw Levis last night in La Dame and a few with no ties and it was formal night. For us, dinner in La Dame was worth every penny of the upcharge. Monday and tonight were casual night and Levis are allowed with no problems. One comment on SS air for us. We just had a summer cruise to Copenhagen Bus Air and it was perfect. Getting to Lisbon on SS air last Sat. was also perfect- so far, so good. If you have questions, please ask and I will try to answer when I have the time. Overall we are loving the Dawn and looking forward to the Nova in August of 2023.

That’s interesting, on our recent 19 Moon voyage, every single day the Chronicle had a little note in the Dress Code section on the front ‘no shorts, jeans or flip flops after 6pm in indoor venues’

I too am on Dawn. I have not noticed jeans in the evening in the beautiful La Dame or competent Atlantide. Or even in La Terrazza. Outside at the Grill or Spaccanspoli may be “anything goes” which is as “picnic mode”.

I dress traditionally and in line with the recommended dress code, and have no issue with wearing a jacket every evening and a proper dinner jacket on formal nights. It’s always worth the effort.

I saw some amusing comments re jeans a year ago by some Seabourn cruisers keen to justify and promote jeans as evening wear. They said their jeans were very expensive; my take is they’re in the business. No kidding! FWIW, my opinion is jeans for men over 50 or 60 look anything but smart on this luxurious ship. Almost comical as if they’re ready for a day off school or maybe gardening tasks. But hey- if they wanna look like that it’s ok, right?

Just my 2 cents on jeans right now. The cocktail hour trio is playing in the Panorama bar,  2 couples are dancing, and the Silversea lady singers are in long sequined gowns. Jeans among us? Please.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 7

Seems there’s a number of us currently on the Dawn and we have not yet met … or maybe we have …

I was on the previous cruise and beaujolais managed to correctly identify me, pretty smart of him, I thought. 

And the best news, Spins joins us in Barcelona!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well, just seen a first on SS. 
Am in Spaccanapoli enjoying an excellent pizza when the lady on the table next to me asks for her uneaten pizza segment to be wrapped to go for breakfast tomorrow. In vain does the waiter suggest a fresh new pizza tomorrow but she insists, says it’ll save her troubling her butler. She prevails, tinfoil is produced, pizza is wrapped and she carries it off in triumph. 
I’m gobsmacked. 
And who says SS doesn’t have interesting evening entertainment. 

• Haha 10

Smooth sailing, and good times for those currently on the Dawn.  We’ll be joining you in Lisbon next week for the crossing.  BTW, did anyone got luggage tags in advance, or were they given at the pier ? We were sent our e ticket, but no tags for the luggage.

I’m a bit bemused by the strong interest (by some) in wearing jeans, because jeans are actually not that comfortable and they weigh more than regular slacks. Yet those who wish to wear jeans on Silversea tend to be the same people who complain about wearing a jacket because it’s uncomfortable or packing a jacket because “it will add to the weight of the suitcase.” 🤔 Pretty sure those jeans weigh more! 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

I’m a bit bemused by the strong interest (by some) in wearing jeans, because jeans are actually not that comfortable and they weigh more than regular slacks. 

Nor do they rinse out and drip dry overnight as do the trousers in 'performance fabrics' that I choose which allows me to travel without checked luggage.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, jollyjones said:

Well, just seen a first on SS. 
Am in Spaccanapoli enjoying an excellent pizza when the lady on the table next to me asks for her uneaten pizza segment to be wrapped to go for breakfast tomorrow. In vain does the waiter suggest a fresh new pizza tomorrow but she insists, says it’ll save her troubling her butler. She prevails, tinfoil is produced, pizza is wrapped and she carries it off in triumph. 
I’m gobsmacked. 
And who says SS doesn’t have interesting evening entertainment. 

I think it is pretty cool that the preference for leftover pizza was properly fulfilled.   Personally, I prefer extra chewy meats.  Everybody is happy on a Silversea ship.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, fdnycruiser said:

Smooth sailing, and good times for those currently on the Dawn.  We’ll be joining you in Lisbon next week for the crossing.  BTW, did anyone got luggage tags in advance, or were they given at the pier ? We were sent our e ticket, but no tags for the luggage.

We got our luggage tags at the SS hotel precruise on the day before the cruise. Just see the SS representative.

6 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Leftover pizza for breakfast. That's a blast from the past! I have some vague "memories" of such a thing from my college days...

Memories created that way would tend to be 'vague,' wouldn't they? 🤣

FWIW, when I see a man wearing a hat indoors I assume he's bald; when I see a woman wearing jeans I assume she has a fataahs. 😉

Well a few smiles from me already…

First to the lady asking for the leftovers to be wrapped up ( hope in the shape of an aluminum foil swan to match your towel art).  Lady, you should know that refrig in your suite doesn’t keep food properly cold, which is why pax are discouraged from taking food to go. I suppose pizza can be left at room temp and won’t spoil that quickly, again, memories of some days or nights in college when leftover pizza was maybe left OUT pizza. I didn’t get sick or die.  I may have experienced some issues, but not sure it was from the pizza.

I left packing for the last minute, so I may have as much luggage as the Stumble fam, if the plane lets me board.  I did add  a lot of denim( or should i say dungarees?)since we aren’t precluded from wearing them in La Dame, or anywhere!  

I am excited to be aboard again,  and see lovely people like Jolly. Hoping I can sit in at triv, I promise i wont play.  See you soonest Jolly!!!!

Stumbles, I will leave the return to luxury comment alone. VERY VERY hard for me to do. 

Finally a question.  Because I still have time before my flight across the pond, and I can add another suitcase, do i need a parka or is there one provided for me?  This is an expedition cruise right?

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Haha 3

Spins, my trivia team seems to have diminished from 8 to 6, not sure if that's permanent but if it is, I'll hold a place for you.

And you'll need plenty of clothes, the weather's turned a bit nippy by our standards. Forecast high 62 degrees tomorrow in Barcelona.

Are you boarding tomorrow 27th or Mon 28th? The ship's overnighting.

Looking forward.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 2

Well, Tucson guy ain’t sayin’ much so I guess we can chatter here till you board. 
Tucson guy - wanna meet for a chat sometime? markham too?
Just returned from another indifferent excursion, seems to be the norm. 
I have cancelled all excursions where I can easily go ashore and explore independently - I only did this one because Valencia is a pain to get into town, even worse because we’re at a commercial dock, not the cruise centre dock, and cannot walk out, must use a shuttle bus. 

• Like 1

Went on a great shore excursion today in Valencia. Paella cooking class and wine tasting. It was not an included excursion, but well worth the price. The chef was engaging and really taught us how to prepare the 5 different dishes. Similar to some SALT excursions I  have done, but much more reasonably priced.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jollyjones said:

Well, Tucson guy ain’t sayin’ much so I guess we can chatter here till you board. 
Tucson guy - wanna meet for a chat sometime? markham too?
Just returned from another indifferent excursion, seems to be the norm. 
I have cancelled all excursions where I can easily go ashore and explore independently - I only did this one because Valencia is a pain to get into town, even worse because we’re at a commercial dock, not the cruise centre dock, and cannot walk out, must use a shuttle bus. 

Sandy and I would be up for a drink. Just let us know when and where. Our dance card is currently not filled!

On 11/26/2022 at 9:33 AM, sea bright said:

Went on a great shore excursion today in Valencia. Paella cooking class and wine tasting. It was not an included excursion, but well worth the price. The chef was engaging and really taught us how to prepare the 5 different dishes. Similar to some SALT excursions I  have done, but much more reasonably priced.

WHY are the SALT excursions so unreasonably priced?

Some are truly one of a kind experiences and worth the upcharge-  like the fabulous cooking class,  lunch and wine tasting at an organic farm in Crete (on the Moon inaugural). However others I have done, especially a couple of wine tastings haven't been worth the upcharge.