UDP- bait and switch

I have been seeing multiple comments on RC dining facebook page stating that on the Allure and a couple of other ships they have not been honoring their UDP package. Several people have stated that they are being told that in Izumi Sushi they can only have a $20 allowance when is specifically states on the website that it is a Pre Fix menu. Also, many people reporting that all the dining reservations are being withheld and they are unable to get any reservations once onboard even though the package states you can eat at unlimited specialty restaurants every night and also lunch on sea days. Apparently they are also trying to charge for an extra entree when a couple wanted to share it.  Is anyone else experiencing this? If so, its appalling the bait and switch that is occurring. I have a sailing this Sunday on the Allure and if this is what is currently happening it will be the last time we sail with Royal Caribbean. 

Edited by islandchick
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, islandchick said:

I have been seeing multiple comments on RC dining facebook page stating that on the Allure and a couple of other ships they have not been honoring their UDP package. Several people have stated that they are being told that in Izumi Sushi they can only have a $20 allowance when is specifically states on the website that it is a Pre Fix menu. Also, many people reporting that all the dining reservations are being withheld and they are unable to get any reservations once onboard even though the package states you can eat at unlimited specialty restaurants every night and also lunch on sea days. Apparently they are also trying to charge for an extra entree when a couple wanted to share it.  Is anyone else experiencing this? If so, its appalling the bait and switch that is occurring. I have a sailing this Sunday on the Allure and if this is what is currently happening it will be the last time we sail with Royal Caribbean. 

Extra charge for Entree starts with the 3rd Entree ordered during the same meal for the same person, and it has not actually taken place yet. We have had three cruise this year, all of them with dining packages and have been able to reserve all the days and times we needed.  Royal pretty clearly lays out the UDP process for A la Carte venues, best of luck on Allure.

What's Included

• Unlimited visits to specialty dining restaurants every night of your sailing and lunch on sea days. 
  • For restaurants with a la carte pricing, you’ll receive a $20 food credit, which can only be used once a day.
  • For ships with this venue, Izumi Sushi is a prix fixe menu or $34.99 food credit.
  • For ships with these venues, Teppanyaki/Izumi Hibachi is included, with a $15 surcharge, and Chef's Table is included, with a $49.99 surcharge. These will be charged once onboard.
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Extra charge for Entree starts with the 3rd Entree ordered during the same meal for the same person, and it has not actually taken place yet. We have had three cruise this year, all of them with dining packages and have been able to reserve all the days and times we needed.  Royal pretty clearly lays out the UDP process for A la Carte venues, best of luck on Allure.

What's Included

• Unlimited visits to specialty dining restaurants every night of your sailing and lunch on sea days. 
  • For restaurants with a la carte pricing, you’ll receive a $20 food credit, which can only be used once a day.
  • For ships with this venue, Izumi Sushi is a prix fixe menu or $34.99 food credit.
  • For ships with these venues, Teppanyaki/Izumi Hibachi is included, with a $15 surcharge, and Chef's Table is included, with a $49.99 surcharge. These will be charged once onboard.

Yes, apparently when shown the whats included list the f&b manager has stated it has changed on Allure. I wouldn't care too much except that they are still selling it as originally stated. This is called fraud and they obviously don't care about their passengers. Of course, this is only based on several reports recently, I will have to see for myself. I always buy the UDP when offered but expect to get what I paid for, if this is a strain for the cruiseline in cost or service then they should discontinue selling it. 

2 hours ago, islandchick said:

We were on the 10/23/22 Allure sailing with UDP.  We boarded with the Key so while we waited, we booked everything we wanted without difficulty except for the lunches.  We couldn't get Chops or Giovannis at all on the app but didn't really care as we've eaten there many times and wanted to try new places.  I had absolutely no difficulty walking up and reserving Sabor for lunch the 1st sea day.  The next sea day (we had 2) we just walked over to Giovannis and booked it for 15 minutes later.  We ate Chops lunch menu day 1 with the Key lunch.  My husband ordered at dinner at 150 2 appetizers and no one batted an eye.  We also went over to Johnny rockets for dessert frequently.  We ate there for breakfast.  That was included as well.  So truthfully, for the amount we paid which was really low and the price of everything, I don't see this bait and switch.  I would not buy the UDP for anything other than Oasis or Quantum class as its a waste with just the 3 restaurants (4 on the Radiance with Samba).  My answer is just ask when you are onboard.  Maybe not with the chaos of day 1, but just call down from your room or stop by.  Also, my husband ordered 2 desserts from every restaurant we were at and one night an extra dinner at Sabor.  The staff was fine.  They also kept bringing us drinks and didn't even charge our 4 diamond drinks. 

Edited to add.  Yes we paid the surcharge for the Hibachi.  It was $30 plus the tip.  We were told by the waiter prior plus we read the fine print the week before our cruise.  We ate there 2x and loved it.  Another place they kept bringing us drinks and not taking them off of the Diamond drinks.  😃 

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

We were on the 10/23/22 Allure sailing with UDP.  We boarded with the Key so while we waited, we booked everything we wanted without difficulty except for the lunches.  We couldn't get Chops or Giovannis at all on the app but didn't really care as we've eaten there many times and wanted to try new places.  I had absolutely no difficulty walking up and reserving Sabor for lunch the 1st sea day.  The next sea day (we had 2) we just walked over to Giovannis and booked it for 15 minutes later.  We ate Chops lunch menu day 1 with the Key lunch.  My husband ordered at dinner at 150 2 appetizers and no one batted an eye.  We also went over to Johnny rockets for dessert frequently.  We ate there for breakfast.  That was included as well.  So truthfully, for the amount we paid which was really low and the price of everything, I don't see this bait and switch.  I would not buy the UDP for anything other than Oasis or Quantum class as its a waste with just the 3 restaurants (4 on the Radiance with Samba).  My answer is just ask when you are onboard.  Maybe not with the chaos of day 1, but just call down from your room or stop by.  Also, my husband ordered 2 desserts from every restaurant we were at and one night an extra dinner at Sabor.  The staff was fine.  They also kept bringing us drinks and didn't even charge our 4 diamond drinks. 

Edited to add.  Yes we paid the surcharge for the Hibachi.  It was $30 plus the tip.  We were told by the waiter prior plus we read the fine print the week before our cruise.  We ate there 2x and loved it.  Another place they kept bringing us drinks and not taking them off of the Diamond drinks.  😃 

Glad it all worked out for you. Your experience sounds like our previous experiences with the UDP as well. Unfortunately the changes that have been reported are on the current sailing. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, islandchick said:

Glad it all worked out for you. Your experience sounds like our previous experiences with the UDP as well. Unfortunately the changes that have been reported are on the current sailing. 

that's a shame.  I had a really good experience on the Allure and sorry to hear this.  Moving forward, the UDP was a little too much of dining out for us and although we loved it on the Allure and the Radiance, we are going to give it a break for a while unless the price is right.  I just wanted to wear my yoga pants and a t shirt and run into the Windjammer at times.  

• Like 1

This isn’t good, if it is as being reported. Of course, I don’t know who is directly reporting this issue.     Fraud -not so sure. Bait and Switch - not generally within the definition of bait and switch. 

we shall see when we get first hand reports. 

2 hours ago, islandchick said:

This is almost a word for word copy of ONE post that complained in the Galveston group on another social media forum.  I wouldn't take one person's word for it. For all we know, they didn't even try to book their specialty restaurants until later. Until the complaint is verified by numerous people, I wouldn't put too much stock into one person's complaint. Unless you are the complainant?

• Like 3

I didn't have this issue on Symphony last week. We ate at specialty restaurants 13 times in 7 days (would have been 15 but we cancelled 1 lunch and 1 dinner because we were too busy or tired to go). 

I ate at Izumi twice, and ate from the set menu both times. The first time I went by myself and received a receipt that showed $42+/- of food that was comped and given to me for $0 with the UDP. The second time I went with my daughter and I don't remember the dollar amount on the receipt (I feel like there wasn't one that time), but know that the bottom line was also $0. The physical menu had a note on it about ordering from the set menu, or using a $34.99 credit to order a la carte.

I went to Playmakers twice, which is one of the restaurants you have to use the $20 credit at, and I asked the waiter what the current deal was because I had read that you could now only use the $20 credit once per day, and I wanted to know if you could come back later in the day to use the remaining credit if it wasn't fully used the first time. He said he hadn't been notified of any such rule and that as far as he knew, you could come back as many times as you wanted in the day, and use a new $20 credit each time.

We also used the $20 credit at Johnny Rockets, but not on the same day that we went to Playmakers. We never used up the entire $40 that we had available between the two of us in one day, so I can't say from personal experience whether there was a system in place to stop you from using the $20 credit more than once.

We did visit more than one specialty restaurant in a day (for example we used it for lunch and then again for dinner, and again for dessert). We also used it one day for 2 dinners (really it was more 1 dinner, and then an after-dinner whole lobster for my daughter later that night). No problems doing that either. 

We never ordered more than 1 entree a piece, but we were brought additional appetizers and main dishes without asking for them. We did order an additional appetizer without realizing it one night, and they gave it to us without charging us anything extra. 

The only issues we had using the UDP all week we're A) it was hard to get reservations at the times we wanted after day 1 because our ship had 6400 people and B) It was more food than we could eat, but we made our best attempt.

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, islandchick said:

All it would take to get the Izumi situation corrected is to reach out to Royal via Facebook or Twitter.  Not the first time a F&B manager or Hotel Director has misinterpreted a policy or tried to go rogue and won't be the last. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

This is the second thread I have read in the last week where someone incorrectly applied the term bait and switch to RCI. If you don’t know what the term means, don’t use it. 

Correct.  This is more "Jim & Tammy Faye Bakker"  Sex scandals and lavish living aside, his conviction focused on the practice of overselling lifetime memberships when there wasn't the capacity to fulfill.

My first Oasis class cruise is upcoming and I've purchased the UDP.  I plan to follow the advice of others and book all my meals upon boarding.  There would be nothing more frustrating that being told, sorry... all booked up... and not being able to enjoy the UDP after paying for it.

15 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

This is the second thread I have read in the last week where someone incorrectly applied the term bait and switch to RCI. If you don’t know what the term means, don’t use it. 

bait-and-switch
/bāt and,(ə)n(d) swiCH/

noun

1. the action (generally illegal) of advertising goods which are an apparent bargain, with the intention of substituting inferior or more expensive goods.

Seems that it applies to this pretty well. Please respond to the question posed or give stories that pertain to the thread instead of trying to pick it apart. Thanks!
Edited by islandchick
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, islandchick said:

bait-and-switch
/bāt and,(ə)n(d) swiCH/

noun

1. the action (generally illegal) of advertising goods which are an apparent bargain, with the intention of substituting inferior or more expensive goods.

Seems that it applies to this pretty well. Please respond to the question posed or give stories that pertain to the thread instead of trying to pick it apart. Thanks!

What inferior good is RCI substituting for UDP? If you got on board and RCI said the UDP can only be used at the Windjammer, that would be considered bait and switch. However, I have not heard one person state that has happened to them. 

I have purchased the UDP on 10 cruises this year on several different classes of ships (Voyager, Freedom, Quantum and Oasis). I have not had any issues on any cruise with using the UDP at any speciality restaurant to include having lunch multiple times at Playmaker’s and Johnny Rockets. 

My only suggestion would be to book reservations as soon as you board the ship, or if you book one of the higher level suites you can book reservations before the cruise. 

5 of us had the UDP on the Allure last month.   We had no problems booking any of the restaurants.  Izumi's $35 dinner was covered.  Giovanni’s was great.  Everything was covered in every restaurant.   It UDP worked as RC described.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, islandchick said:

bait-and-switch
/bāt and,(ə)n(d) swiCH/

noun

At your request I did go back to re-read what you were asking, and as I take in your words it appears that you've gotten yourself all worked up over probably what is nothing, given real life experiences from others, myself included, who have not had these issues with the UDP.

All of those horror stories that seem to have gotten you in such a lather so much so that you're ready to cut ties with RCI forever came from ... where did you say?  FACEBOOK.  As they say, consider your source.

Several of us have defended RCI and their UDP as your misuse of the term Bait & Switch is accusatory based upon hearsay found on a site known for its lack of credible accurate information.

HERE's HOPING:

...that on Sunday you will be pleasantly pleased and happy with how the UDP works out for you on your Allure cruise...

...and that you cut ties with facebook instead!

• Like 2

On 11/30/2022 at 6:32 PM, islandchick said:

Yes, apparently when shown the whats included list the f&b manager has stated it has changed on Allure. I wouldn't care too much except that they are still selling it as originally stated. This is called fraud and they obviously don't care about their passengers. Of course, this is only based on several reports recently, I will have to see for myself. I always buy the UDP when offered but expect to get what I paid for, if this is a strain for the cruiseline in cost or service then they should discontinue selling it. 

Or, you can chose not to purchase it.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 5:10 PM, islandchick said:

Apparently they are also trying to charge for an extra entree when a couple wanted to share it. 

At Chops if you ask for an extra entree they will charge you.  You can have multiple apps, sides and desserts but no second main item. We had a table mate ask for one years ago, and they could for a nominal charge.  It I remember it was $10 for another filet .  They booked in advance of sailing and didn’t have any dining package. 

At Jamie’s and Giovanni’s we have never seen anyone denied extra servings of pasta for sharing or up-charged. 

People share pasta, they don’t share a ribeye. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 2

On 12/1/2022 at 6:17 PM, PWP-001 said:

At your request I did go back to re-read what you were asking, and as I take in your words it appears that you've gotten yourself all worked up over probably what is nothing, given real life experiences from others, myself included, who have not had these issues with the UDP.

All of those horror stories that seem to have gotten you in such a lather so much so that you're ready to cut ties with RCI forever came from ... where did you say?  FACEBOOK.  As they say, consider your source.

Several of us have defended RCI and their UDP as your misuse of the term Bait & Switch is accusatory based upon hearsay found on a site known for its lack of credible accurate information.

HERE's HOPING:

...that on Sunday you will be pleasantly pleased and happy with how the UDP works out for you on your Allure cruise...

...and that you cut ties with facebook instead!

That was a very well written post!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

That was a very well written post!

Thank you.

The OP is sailing today, according to what she said, so I do hope that one on board she'll update us with good news about her personal experiences.

I had issues for lunch when I was on Oasis last year. Went to Izumi and was told no availability. I said that’s fine, let me place a take out order instead, and that I didn’t mind a long wait. They said it wasn’t possible. I just went to Playmakers. Wasn’t worth pushing while on vacation, but definitely had me question if UDP is worth it if availability is limited

4 hours ago, CFIGuy said:

I had issues for lunch when I was on Oasis last year. Went to Izumi and was told no availability. I said that’s fine, let me place a take out order instead, and that I didn’t mind a long wait. They said it wasn’t possible. I just went to Playmakers. Wasn’t worth pushing while on vacation, but definitely had me question if UDP is worth it if availability is limited

I tried ordering "to-go" from Izumi as well. They told me no. I came back the next day and asked again, but this time I said "if I sit down at the sushi bar and order, will you wrap it up for me to go?" and she again told me that it's against their policy, but she'd do it for me this one time if I didn't tell anyone. 

But then she said she couldn't seat me at the sushi bar, I had to sit at a regular table. I placed my order for 1 sushi roll and a side, and my order didn't come out for 45 minutes, and even then, it only came out because I told them I was about to miss a show reservation, so they "looked into it" for me. 

Totally wasn't worth it because we didn't have time to eat the food before going to the comedy show. We took it with us and ate it at the bar, which was probably not appreciated by people sitting near us because it smelled the way food does when you take it out of a to-go container in a space where the food smells aren't expected. 

I enjoyed our food with the UDP, but I will say that I didn't appreciate how hard it was to change reservations after the first day, and I didn't like how long dinner took (an hour and a half, sometimes more). It's just too much time to dedicate to eating when there's so many other fun things to be doing. 

19 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I tried ordering "to-go" from Izumi as well. They told me no. I came back the next day and asked again, but this time I said "if I sit down at the sushi bar and order, will you wrap it up for me to go?" and she again told me that it's against their policy, but she'd do it for me this one time if I didn't tell anyone. 

But then she said she couldn't seat me at the sushi bar, I had to sit at a regular table. I placed my order for 1 sushi roll and a side, and my order didn't come out for 45 minutes, and even then, it only came out because I told them I was about to miss a show reservation, so they "looked into it" for me. 

Totally wasn't worth it because we didn't have time to eat the food before going to the comedy show. We took it with us and ate it at the bar, which was probably not appreciated by people sitting near us because it smelled the way food does when you take it out of a to-go container in a space where the food smells aren't expected. 

I enjoyed our food with the UDP, but I will say that I didn't appreciate how hard it was to change reservations after the first day, and I didn't like how long dinner took (an hour and a half, sometimes more). It's just too much time to dedicate to eating when there's so many other fun things to be doing. 

Absolutely.  I dont think I'll do it again for a while myself unless it's really cheap.  Just too long at dinner.  

• Like 1