Is Celebrity getting a lot more expensive?

slanik

19 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Yes it was CAD plus 250 US obc equals approximately 350 cad assuming FX rate of 1.40. Plus the itinerary is Cozumel, Costa Maya,  Roatan and Belize. On the Edge this past January we only went to the first 3 Islands.  Sky Princess is a beautiful ship our friends in Florida were on her for their Thanksgiving and loved it.   I heard the Atrium is magnificent.  I think the inside cabins are slightly smaller than the E class deluxe but who cares, I'm never there. 

Absolutely no comparison in the two ships IMO -we have sailed both this year.  1) the food, had to send back our entrees one night and should have sent back others on the Sky.  Also, having the choice of the 4 dining rooms is wonderful on the Edge.  2) the entertainment - although the entertainment was better on the Sky than the other Princess ships this year it still doesn't compare to the Edge.  3) No place like Eden on any Princess ship.  You get the idea - apples and oranges. 

We also found that on the Sky Princess has added more cabins and taken away public space.  We sailed on a full ship 2 weeks ago and it was extremely crowded, not one seat of any kind or anywhere on deck at 10 am.  We won't sail on the Sky again unless it is an itinerary not offered on another ship.  

14 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

Absolutely no comparison in the two ships IMO -we have sailed both this year.  1) the food, had to send back our entrees one night and should have sent back others on the Sky.  Also, having the choice of the 4 dining rooms is wonderful on the Edge.  2) the entertainment - although the entertainment was better on the Sky than the other Princess ships this year it still doesn't compare to the Edge.  3) No place like Eden on any Princess ship.  You get the idea - apples and oranges. 

We also found that on the Sky Princess has added more cabins and taken away public space.  We sailed on a full ship 2 weeks ago and it was extremely crowded, not one seat of any kind or anywhere on deck at 10 am.  We won't sail on the Sky again unless it is an itinerary not offered on another ship.  

The Celebrity Edge is probably my favorite cruise ship.  It's just wonderful.

Couldn't agree more about EDEN.  Ate there 3 times (over two EDGE cruises).  Loved it each time.  Plus, listening to the entertainment in the EDEN Bar was a treat I always looked forward to every night.

Probably have a soft spot for the EDGE as it was the first cruise I took after the restart.  Capt Kate was very visible throughout the trip and interface at length with the guests.  She is a delight .

I look forward to my next EDGE cruise, although I don't know when that will be.  Celebrity was offering GREAT deals for a while.  I suspected they would not be able to sustain those prices.  It appears they are racing them, as I expected.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

The Celebrity Edge is probably my favorite cruise ship.  It's just wonderful.

Couldn't agree more about EDEN.  Ate there 3 times (over two EDGE cruises).  Loved it each time.  Plus, listening to the entertainment in the EDEN Bar was a treat I always looked forward to every night.

Probably have a soft spot for the EDGE as it was the first cruise I took after the restart.  Capt Kate was very visible throughout the trip and interface at length with the guests.  She is a delight .

I look forward to my next EDGE cruise, although I don't know when that will be.  Celebrity was offering GREAT deals for a while.  I suspected they would not be able to sustain those prices.  It appears they are racing them, as I expected.

We are on the Apex in May (paid going rate)  We are on the Ascent in April 24 in an IV (not sure how we will like that)but we got a fabulous price when the cruises first appeared.  Check often - I believe the best price is just as they come out.  Still looking to try Beyond but haven't found a good deal yet since I waited.  Hopefully you'll find a good deal soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dar & Bob said:

I've never had an issue with meals on any princess ship but have not sailed since the Royal in 2014.  I love the Edge class of ships also and am on the Apex 15 night TA in April but was just looking for a quick winter getaway and this fit the bill.  Enjoyed spending time at Eden and will probably book a dinner there when on the Apex. Celebrity is offering pretty good pricing for lunch/dinners at the moment.  I'm so intrigued now and will definitely take notes so I can compare. 

7 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I've never had an issue with meals on any princess ship but have not sailed since the Royal in 2014.  I love the Edge class of ships also and am on the Apex 15 night TA in April but was just looking for a quick winter getaway and this fit the bill.  Enjoyed spending time at Eden and will probably book a dinner there when on the Apex. Celebrity is offering pretty good pricing for lunch/dinners at the moment.  I'm so intrigued now and will definitely take notes so I can compare. 

I am not sure people who have not cruised on the Edge Class can appreciation the complete Eden’s area.  On the Apex the whole area was just amazing and so beautiful.  Nothing to do with the restaurant itself.  (Has a great view as well.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I am not sure people who have not cruised on the Edge Class can appreciation the complete Eden’s area.  On the Apex the whole area was just amazing and so beautiful.  Nothing to do with the restaurant itself.  (Has a great view as well.)

I thought the Eden area was a waste of space , looks good the first time in but doesn’t not function 

Food on the Apex April TA was a major problem , but it put down to lack of crew and supplies 

Heading back to S & M class ships 😁

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

Could not agree more about Eden, loved it on my recent Edge TA.  In addition to the open space with incredible views, great entertainment, the Eden restaurant is amazing!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I thought the Eden area was a waste of space , looks good the first time in but doesn’t not function

🤔 Curious about this comment. Assuming you meant 'it doesn't function'? It's a restaurant, bar, lounge, breakfast spot, venue for events, live entertainment, live music, tons of seating throughout the day, expansive views, adjacent outdoor area...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Food on the Apex April TA was a major problem , but it put down to lack of crew and supplies 

Heading back to S & M class ships 😁

Obviously everything is not for everyone.  I am left wondering if you and I were in the same ship and even some of the Edge Class ship’s are different.  I was on the Apex.  How about you?  I am not raving about the Eden restaurant, but the two level expansion views and view both inward and outward.  I also thought the casual Cafe was very nice.  

I am in no way challenging you own experience.  Were you impressed with the Walking/jogging track?  I was.

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

Could not agree more about Eden, loved it on my recent Edge TA.  In addition to the open space with incredible views, great entertainment, the Eden restaurant is amazing!

As we've already established, our tastes are the same.  I agree with you fully.

Eden is such a special area on the Edge ships, it is my favorite.  Beautiful large window views.  Great restaurants, including the Cafe around the back of the bar (go to for breakfast).  Excellent entertainment while having cocktails at the bar.

4 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Obviously everything is not for everyone.  I am left wondering if you and I were in the same ship and even some of the Edge Class ship’s are different.  I was on the Apex.  How about you?  I am not raving about the Eden restaurant, but the two level expansion views and view both inward and outward.  I also thought the casual Cafe was very nice.  

I am in no way challenging you own experience.  Were you impressed with the Walking/jogging track?  I was.

Not directed at me, but aside from the Eden Cafe being a hidden gem and our go-to breakfast spot, we found the entire Eden area underwhelming.   Horribly uncomfortable furniture (but it looks nice, so par for the course on X these days) and a space that doesn't seem to have an identity. Small bar area, spread out seating, and a peculiar upper level that seemed out of the way. 

During the day, I can see it as a true eden for the reader looking for a quiet indoor space.  That's simply not us.  And we tend towards outdoor spaces when sailing, so being inside down there in the evenings isn't all that appealing. 

And it's by far the best walking track on any X class ship! 

Since X has gotten so expensive, we are now in MSC Yacht Club. It is true we do not venture out of the Yacht Club unless it is a port day-too crowded, but other than on the Divinia, they got it right. You never have to leave if you don't want too. Having them carry on your luggage as you get on is a big plus. 

We have been on the Edge and the Apex and were on the Apex for the Transatlantic in April, we loved Eden! Great entertainment, fabulous staff and the restaurant was wonderful. I had the best dessert of my life there. 

With the current pricing, we are priced out of the Suites, but we will still watch for a decent deal on a Veranda, regardless of the class of ship. Each class has it's features. 

On 12/10/2022 at 10:22 AM, RichYak said:

If I won Powerball, I doubt you'd see me sailing with Celebrity any longer. 🤑

On 12/10/2022 at 12:29 PM, TeeRick said:

Yeah I would buy a yacht.

We've talked about just that and both decided that a private yacht would be incredibly boring. We want the variety that comes with the size of the ship.  Maybe we'd stray from X, but a private mega-yacht seems insufferable. 

And we'd probably still book a normal veranda. 

As for the topic at hand, yes Celebrity has gotten stupid-expensive. 

We sail 7n Caribbean cruises, East or West, every year. We stay in a lowly veranda room, with a foray or two into Concierge or Aqua when the price difference was minimal or negative. 

I think the most we have ever paid is just UNDER $3k for that 7n sailing.  

Looking to early '24 the cheapest we can find is about $4k for a plain old unobstructed veranda.  Nope. Not gonna happen Celebrity. You have just priced yourself into the middle (or higher) of other options for a 7n trip, and far above what we can sail on Princess for. 

37 minutes ago, D C said:

As for the topic at hand, yes Celebrity has gotten stupid-expensive. 

We sail 7n Caribbean cruises, East or West, every year. We stay in a lowly veranda room, with a foray or two into Concierge or Aqua when the price difference was minimal or negative. 

I think the most we have ever paid is just UNDER $3k for that 7n sailing.  

Looking to early '24 the cheapest we can find is about $4k for a plain old unobstructed veranda.  Nope. Not gonna happen Celebrity. You have just priced yourself into the middle (or higher) of other options for a 7n trip, and far above what we can sail on Princess for. 

Ummmmm.....Maybe I should do a price comparison for my Alaska cruise 2024.  

But what I booked is NR, I think

48 minutes ago, D C said:

We've talked about just that and both decided that a private yacht would be incredibly boring. We want the variety that comes with the size of the ship.  Maybe we'd stray from X, but a private mega-yacht seems insufferable. 

And we'd probably still book a normal veranda. 

If we hit the lotto, we would probably go for a suite, but then we might go to a true luxury line like Oceana, Seabourn, or Regent. No yacht, DH would rather have a plane. I agree, a yacht would be boring. We still sail with people we've met onboard, and most of them were in cabins lower than suites. They were in the gen pop, which is where we often hang out.

MSC lets you buy someone a "pass" to use the Yacht Club ammenities. We did that with a sailing buddy and she was hooked on Yacht Club. She hasn't sailed with X in 4 years and has no desire to come back. MSC OFTEN has specials with no single supplement so she sails with them at least once a year.

It doesn't make sense to charge a single for tips, drink package and internet when they can't use it. 

If you recall, after the Edge came out, within 8 months it was on the Exciting Deals list. Of course there weren't any deals, it was just on the list.

Now that the drink package is so expensive and tips so high, it doesn't make sense to NOT buy the AI unless you don't drink. But even so, the difference in price is enough to choke you.

9 hours ago, D C said:

Not directed at me, but aside from the Eden Cafe being a hidden gem and our go-to breakfast spot, we found the entire Eden area underwhelming.   Horribly uncomfortable furniture (but it looks nice, so par for the course on X these days) and a space that doesn't seem to have an identity. Small bar area, spread out seating, and a peculiar upper level that seemed out of the way. 

During the day, I can see it as a true eden for the reader looking for a quiet indoor space.  That's simply not us.  And we tend towards outdoor spaces when sailing, so being inside down there in the evenings isn't all that appealing. 

And it's by far the best walking track on any X class ship! 

The outdoor aft area was my favorite little spot to read a booking while enjoying a pre dinner martini. So quiet and serene and at times I was the only one there. 

4 hours ago, drakes2 said:

The outdoor aft area was my favorite little spot to read a booking while enjoying a pre dinner martini. So quiet and serene and at times I was the only one there. 

That is a great space. So unfortunate that it's a smoking area.  Every time we went down there, it was terrible. 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2022 at 8:11 AM, upwarduk said:

I’ve seen a ‘new’ offer today, but they still have the 75% off for the second guest.

This is only creative accounting, as when you go on to the second page when doing a dummy booking, the pricing gets inflated before the 75% is taken off.

If you divide the final price by 2, then that represents the original price p.p.

FF3F9B8B-7C46-41A9-824A-98A94FD79516.thumb.png.84a59895719a3972ef1ae947ff7a1d33.png

IMO a game.  We booked a sky suite about 1 year ago- paid so much less then with the Sale now.  They play games by significantly increasing prices, then giving you a discount off of the inflated price.  IMO best to book early at least one year in advance then if you want to bid on Move up at the last minute do it.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, D C said:

That is a great space. So unfortunate that it's a smoking area.  Every time we went down there, it was terrible. 

It certainly is. Guess I was fortunate to be there when there were not any smokers.  

19 minutes ago, D C said:

Agree 100%.  Even when we would go to Eden pre-dinner for a drink and music, the door to the smoking area would open and close.  We found we would get a solid whiff of smoke smell every time it opened.  We eventually stopped going for that reason. 

I booked a 12 day cruise November 2021.  Half price for 2nd guest and all inclusive. Classic drinks package, wifi and gratuities. The cruise is for January 14 2023 so I booked 13 months in advance. 

I often do a dummy booking to compare - category verandah deck 9 mid ship cabin under the new Journey Eventfull sale (all inclusive)  It would cost only $12.00 more than 13 months ago. 

4 hours ago, Josie201 said:

Agree 100%.  Even when we would go to Eden pre-dinner for a drink and music, the door to the smoking area would open and close.  We found we would get a solid whiff of smoke smell every time it opened.  We eventually stopped going for that reason. 

Yes I noticed that as well. Many evenings I chose to sit at the martini bar in Eden for that reason. 

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

For the health of crew and passengers, smoking should be banned on cruise ships.  I know this  might not be loved by all, it is a healthier option.

I'm with you - but, at the same time, perhaps they should limit alcohol sales and trans-fats !

Tom

• Thanks 1