Diamond drink receipts

fenton04

Day three on Vision of the Sea and after a day and a half no more paper receipts to sign.  It looked to be a nightmare from the get go 

with both of us getting about a12 inch receipts to sign.  Will keep everyone posted.

Royal keeps saying they are trying to stop using so much paper (one of the reasons for not issuing the Cruise Planner in staterooms nightly), but they decided to revert to signing for Crown & Anchor free drinks, surely, they must have a better solution!!

9 hours ago, PompeySailor said:

Have only signed twice after 5 days on Symphony (50 drinks) for 2 of us

Depends on the bar or restaurant.  The 2 requiring a signature were at the Trellis Bar.

Mine was on Oasis by the Beach Pool bar. 

18 hours ago, PompeySailor said:

Have only signed twice after 5 days on Symphony (50 drinks) for 2 of us

Depends on the bar or restaurant.  The 2 requiring a signature were at the Trellis Bar.

Have you gotten drinks from Sand Bar? I have to sign receipt there every time this week. I also don't see my remaining drinks on the receipts I signed.

21 hours ago, nelblu said:

I’m on Oasis and in 4 days only once have I signed a receipt.  It was eye opening.  Coors light $7.49 + 18% grats if I was paying🤣

Vouchers are worth  $16.50 if you were paying.  Recently off 10 night Quantum, mostly Martinis. Voucher value close to $1650, Balcony with all discounts and OBC added in $2050. No wonder Royal is barely breaking even. But some use their vouchers for a $3 bottle of water. 

3 hours ago, screenname2004 said:

Have you gotten drinks from Sand Bar? I have to sign receipt there every time this week. I also don't see my remaining drinks on the receipts I signed.

Not used that bar 

Did not see any indicator on the two we signed as in how many remaining either 

4 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Vouchers are worth  $16.50 if you were paying.  Recently off 10 night Quantum, mostly Martinis. Voucher value close to $1650, Balcony with all discounts and OBC added in $2050. No wonder Royal is barely breaking even. But some use their vouchers for a $3 bottle of water. 

Trust me, those drinks are not costing Royal $1650.00.

7 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Trust me, those drinks are not costing Royal $1650.00.

Typical 1.75 Liter bottle of Bacardi around $20.

1.75 L equals roughly 56 ounces.

Assuming 1.5 ounces per shot served at $8 onboard per shot

37 drinks totaling $292 out of a 1.75 L at $20

By my math that is a 1480% markup.

Even if you add in handling, storage, and labor to dispense it, that is one huge mark-up.

My guess is when you add soda or sugary syrups instead of alcohol to mixed drinks and then sell the drinks for $13+, the markup could approach 2000% because they are substantially cheaper than pure alcohol shots.

30 pack of Coors Lite Beer about $28 (I am sure with the quantity ordering the cruise line gets it for less).    30 beers at $7 = $210

Which comes to a 750% mark up and this requires very little staff labor with opening the can and pouring it into a cup.

Believe me, since I started cruising in 1988, there are rarely times when staff were not walking around trying to offer drinks to the passengers: drinks= $$$$ which drives profitability.

The $1650 drink voucher cost them maybe $165 dollars or less in raw materials, and it makes a great advertising gimmick. The fare paying cruiser feels that he is getting a great deal or can subtract that savings from cruise purchases to justify spending more. The cruise line spreads that expense over 10 days, and they are paying $16.50 in raw materials per day, and you think the cruise is just about free at that point. This is called salesmanship. Getting the customer to buy a product and have the customer thinking they are getting a great deal.

The cruise lines will go out of business if they do not make a profit. RCI is still in business.

7 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Typical 1.75 Liter bottle of Bacardi around $20.

1.75 L equals roughly 56 ounces.

Assuming 1.5 ounces per shot served at $8 onboard per shot

37 drinks totaling $292 out of a 1.75 L at $20

By my math that is a 1480% markup.

Even if you add in handling, storage, and labor to dispense it, that is one huge mark-up.

My guess is when you add soda or sugary syrups instead of alcohol to mixed drinks and then sell the drinks for $13+, the markup could approach 2000% because they are substantially cheaper than pure alcohol shots.

30 pack of Coors Lite Beer about $28 (I am sure with the quantity ordering the cruise line gets it for less).    30 beers at $7 = $210

Which comes to a 750% mark up and this requires very little staff labor with opening the can and pouring it into a cup.

Believe me, since I started cruising in 1988, there are rarely times when staff were not walking around trying to offer drinks to the passengers: drinks= $$$$ which drives profitability.

The $1650 drink voucher cost them maybe $165 dollars or less in raw materials, and it makes a great advertising gimmick. The fare paying cruiser feels that he is getting a great deal or can subtract that savings from cruise purchases to justify spending more. The cruise line spreads that expense over 10 days, and they are paying $16.50 in raw materials per day, and you think the cruise is just about free at that point. This is called salesmanship. Getting the customer to buy a product and have the customer thinking they are getting a great deal.

The cruise lines will go out of business if they do not make a profit. RCI is still in business.

Its better than no free drinks!