Serenade to add laundry facilities

John&LaLa

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

If I think items are going to be sent to the laundry I pack items near end of life. I do have travel underwear now that is made to be hand washed and drys fast. Same with my pants. I pack performence pants that can be hand washed and they drys in a few hours and does not need ironing. Pole shirts and tshirts 60/40 fabric from Eddie Baur wash and hang up drys unwrinkled. 

I have a future goal of gettting my luggage on a cruise down to a carry on. 

Performance pants?      Do tell

• Haha 1

Last place you'll find me on any vacation is in a laundry room. If we are flying to the ship, we bring half as much tees, pjs, socks, and  undies that we need and send the laundry bag out halfway through. To those who want to do laundry, have at it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise5life said:

Performance pants?      Do tell

There are a bunch of different performances fabrics. I have been buying Prana with Stretch Zion Fabric. I prefer their Brion style. Another brand is Kuhn that has some similar fabrics. They are very good for travel. They sell them at REI and Dicks Sporting goods. 

Edited by Charles4515

2 hours ago, ILCTCRUISER said:

Princess “loyalty ambassadors” will tell you, and I can confirm, that the most valued perk of being Elite on Princess is Free Laundry.  If Princess ever takes that away, I think there would be blood….

I get free laundry now, it sux. Don't use it

4 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Yeah, nope Bed sticks up no matter where I place my Luggage. use to bring 2 large Bags now one set and store medium sized inside Larger Bag in the Closet

Have you tried putting the suitcase under the bed with it open?  Also makes it easy to use the case as a laundry hamper -- just pull out a corner and put dirty clothes in the open case.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ILCTCRUISER said:

Princess “loyalty ambassadors” will tell you, and I can confirm, that the most valued perk of being Elite on Princess is Free Laundry.  If Princess ever takes that away, I think there would be blood….

I just did a cruise on Celebrity, and my status match made me Elite with X. 

One nice difference between the two lines is my free laundry on Celebrity is actual laundry, not the wash-n-fold (boil-n-fry) bag that Royal offers. 

I normally only send socks/undies and knit pants (dark colors) in the boil-n-fry bags on Royal, but with Celebrity I sent my t-shirts as well because they weren't washed/dried on high, which would ruin the screen-printing on them.  It was definitely a nice perk!

• Haha 1

On 12/13/2022 at 4:36 PM, John&LaLa said:

As part of the modifications for UWC, Serenade will get a few laundry rooms

Also getting new higher bed frames, and refrigerator in lieu of the existing coolers. Not sure of time frame.

Bed frames are to better accommodate luggage storage. 

Came up during Q&A on Wonder cruise this weekend

Wondering if same for Explorer update the end of January. 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Have you tried putting the suitcase under the bed with it open?  Also makes it easy to use the case as a laundry hamper -- just pull out a corner and put dirty clothes in the open case.

Yup, its a 4 wheel spinner set and spinners stick way out! Had 3 sets, 2 left both good with one set almost new. Not going spend money on new ones until these wear out. So stuck with them for few more years...

2 hours ago, brillohead said:

I just did a cruise on Celebrity, and my status match made me Elite with X. 

One nice difference between the two lines is my free laundry on Celebrity is actual laundry, not the wash-n-fold (boil-n-fry) bag that Royal offers. 

I normally only send socks/undies and knit pants (dark colors) in the boil-n-fry bags on Royal, but with Celebrity I sent my t-shirts as well because they weren't washed/dried on high, which would ruin the screen-printing on them.  It was definitely a nice perk!

The Wash & Fold on RC fries the elastic in my shorts. It looks fine when I pack it, and then the elastic crunches and no longer stretches when I put them on. I just had it replaced on the fourth pair, which having it done, cost more than the shorts. On one cruise, I had to use a hairclip to keep them secured. 

And @heatherb1958 Underwear is kind of inexpensive here for my boring undies. I wouldn't send my bras. But I don't mind if they do the underwear and tops. I will no longer allow them to fry my waistbands. ☺️

Just now, Coralc said:

The Wash & Fold on RC fries the elastic in my shorts. It looks fine when I pack it, and then the elastic crunches and no longer stretches when I put them on. I just had it replaced on the fourth pair, which having it done, cost more than the shorts. On one cruise, I had to use a hairclip to keep them secured. 

With ten weeks of cruising, I sent a lot of undies, socks, and knit pants (stretchy waistbands) in the boil-n-fry bag.  All of them are still alive and well after two months of this type of laundry (did the same thing in the spring and fall of last year, same clothing).  

Sounds like it's something to do with that particular type of elastic, maybe?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brillohead said:

With ten weeks of cruising, I sent a lot of undies, socks, and knit pants (stretchy waistbands) in the boil-n-fry bag.  All of them are still alive and well after two months of this type of laundry (did the same thing in the spring and fall of last year, same clothing).  

The alteration person said, "Maybe they are old?" 

I said, "No. Well Maybe.  But they are my cruise shorts outfits. LOL" 😃

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, brillohead said:

You doubted me about shrunk shirts. It happens. Maybe you are just lucky.

16 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

I have never had the desire to do laundry on a cruise.....never

I can imagine it being helpful for families, also for consecutive cruises or if part of a land/cruise holiday. On QM2 we used their laundry facilities, the cruise was after a week on land in USA. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

You doubted me about shrunk shirts. It happens. Maybe you are just lucky.

I'm probably one of the unluckiest people on the planet.  But I only have clothing that can't really be shrunk any more than it already is -- nothing wool, nothing "dry clean only" or anything of the sort.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, brillohead said:

Your description of “boil and fry” makes me want to ask, did it scream like a lobster?

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, island lady said:

You might want to if you were on a ship for 9 months.  

well, if I retire, and hit a jackpot, than I might desire to do laundry, but I guess, I would also afford to have the ship do it for me?  But for the average person, 1-2 weeks, I have never had a desire to do laundry on vacation.  

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

well, if I retire, and hit a jackpot, than I might desire to do laundry, but I guess, I would also afford to have the ship do it for me?  But for the average person, 1-2 weeks, I have never had a desire to do laundry on vacation.  

"Desire"  LOL.  You make it sound like people do laundry because they enjoy it so much that they have to do it.  Laundry is one of the easiest things in the world to do.  Not like anyone is scrubbing clothing on rocks down at the river.

And, "boil and fry" is a very good description of what the laundry does to clothing.  Very hot water+very hot dryers+commercial size= shrunken and damaged clothes.    I sent a pair of cotton shorts one time by mistake (DH packs and counts) and they came back a couple shades lighter and shrunk so much I couldn't wear them again.  I'd much rather do my own than have the ship destroy clothes.  After 9 months of that temp clothing would be unusable.

Edited by BND
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Longford said:

Possibly, a logistical nightmare.  How many cabins on each deck?  How many people in those cabins?  How many washers and dryers?  What to do when people forget their laundry is in a machine and others are waiting to use?  A one-off for the world cruise might be ok, but long term?  How has this worked on other ships?

Works very well

The machines are fast and people usually hang close by.

We have never had an issue on Princess.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, BND said:

.  I'd much rather do my own than have the ship destroy clothes.  After 9 months of that temp clothing would be unusable.

After 9 months on a cruise I would need new (bigger) clothes sizes, anyway!  

There is some truth for me, about “cruise pounds” 😂

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

Serenade is doing a 274 day World Cruise which is not for the average person. That is why they are adding the laundry rooms. It has nothing to do about what you desire. Royal Caribbean has concluded that people who would book the cruise will desire  laundry rooms. Certainly they are not going to the expense, taking up space, adding plumbing and machines, adding an amenity that they have not had on any of their ships for no good reason. 

Any industrious teen or tween along on the cruise could start their own laundry service for other passengers.  WCLS LLC.   World cruise Laundry Service.   Guarantee to return same day.   Use the self-serve laundry. 😎

Edited by ocean sounds
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1