What's the appeal of the thermal spa?

pookel

I keep seeing references to the thermal spa as the best place to be on ship and I don't really get it. What's the appeal? Isn't it just like heated chairs and a sauna and hot tubs? Is there anything else special there that I'm missing?

I've never been on a cruise before so maybe there's more to it that I'm just not aware of. Can someone spell out for me what the appeal is?

• Like 1

We did it once and the temperature was a little warm for us. Not sure what we were expecting but it was humid and we never reached a point were we were comfortable.  We have been to several spas on land such as Qua Spa Ceasars Vegas and for us the thermal spa paled in comparison.  One other factor that  led to our dissatisfaction with the thermal spa was that because it is enclosed it is kind of an echo chamber.  We were looking forward to quiet so we could read and relax but there was a loudmouth that would not stop talking the hour or so we ere there so we decided to get up and leave.  

Most people seem to really enjoy the thermal spa.  I wish our experience would have been better.

1 hour ago, pookel said:

I keep seeing references to the thermal spa as the best place to be on ship and I don't really get it. What's the appeal? Isn't it just like heated chairs and a sauna and hot tubs? Is there anything else special there that I'm missing?

I've never been on a cruise before so maybe there's more to it that I'm just not aware of. Can someone spell out for me what the appeal is?

Welcome to Cruise Critic 

If you are not a sun lover, the Thermal suite on a larger ship (not the Gem) provides a private sanctuary to rest and relax. After a hard day of touring ashore, we love the saunas and steam rooms along with the hydrotherapy pools of warm jetted water. 

See post #37 on the link below for some photos

1 hour ago, pookel said:

Here's a couple tours....  The Escape has a snow room. Its about 22F with a small snow machine inside it

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 3

I am in love with the thermal suite. My husband knows it's a prerequisite for any cruise we take...except we have a March Joy cruise booked. The Joy doesn't have a thermal suite, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do! Eeeeek!!

I'm normally a person that enjoys the cold. Perfect sleeping temperature is about 55 degrees F. Outside, I prefer it in the high 60's with low humidity.

Onboard, I enjoy the thermal suite for a multitude of reasons. Here are the ones I can remember:

1. It's typically cooler in the thermal suite than it is on the decks/balcony, especially during the day. I enjoy relaxing on the heated ceramic lounger, then dipping in the pool for some bubbles. 

2. The lounger melts my muscles, or at least it feels that way. It's almost as if my body turns into Jell-O. 

3. The bubbles are amazing. I enjoy torturing my body with the bubbles, especially my knees and ankles. Skiing, rock climbing, backpacking, and now, being fat, have taken a number on my once youthful joints! 

4. It's generally a relaxing atmosphere. I won't say it's quiet as the sounds of the bubbles and waterfalls reflect off the walls. People's voices, even when quiet, do echo a bit too. But, the sound of water relaxes me. 

5. It's at the front of the ship. I enjoy that rocking feeling in rough seas. I think the location is switched up on some ships, so I'm specifically speaking of the Getaway here.

6. Other than your stateroom, it's the one place where it's possible to be truly alone. Whether that's literally (which does happen) or with some noise-canceling headphones, listening to music on the loungers. 

7. There's hot tea available at any time and yummy cold infused water. 

8. The lights at night are nice.

9. When it the pool/hot tub, it's really hard to hear other people, so it's easy to not have conversation. I'm an introvert that works in HR, so I get plenty of conversation during a work day. One of the last things I want to do on a vacation is talk to people I don't know.

10. There's no alcohol. I enjoy a drink as much as the next person, but sometimes I just don't want to deal with drunk people (see 9, above). 

I'm sure I'm missing something, but those are a few reasons I absolutely adore the thermal suite. 

• Like 7

We take a cruise to relax. But we always end up more active on vacation than we are in our every day life. We don't typically book the excursion where we just park ourselves on a lounger at the beach. Just recently off the Escape, and one day my watch logged 58,000 steps for the day. I don't even know how many miles that is, but it's a lot. The thermal suite is incredible for those sore muscles. Going from the steam room to the snow room just feels amazing. Relaxing in the sauna or sanarium. I've never been a huge fan of the salt room. I've been on some ships where they've had private hot tubs and lounging areas outside only accessible for thermal suite pass holders. 

For me it depends on the itinerary and the excursions I’m doing . On a western med itinerary a lot of the excursions I picked involved a lot of walking so being able to go to the hot pool and use the jets as a massage action was great, I’ve not really been a convert to the heated loungers as they just aren’t hot enough for me. 

my next cruise has a lot of time at sea so the thermal spa pass will be a purchase for that one as a place to get away for a while and as it’s an Alaskan cruise in October I’m not going to be getting in the water any other way. 

We enjoyed lounging in the thermal spa on the Star this summer.  Probably because we were cruising Greenland and Iceland and the warmth was welcome!  Also the location on the Star is the aft of the ship so the view is wonderful, and the "quiet lounges" were a great place to read or sleep. 

On 12/15/2022 at 7:29 AM, pookel said:

I don't really like heat so maybe this is just a me thing, lol! But someone tell me what a "snow room" is? That sounds interesting!

This photo was taken in the snow room on the NCL Bliss.  You use the snow room after the sauna (or alternating with the sauna) to cool down.  There is icy snow on the walls and the floor.  I could only stay in there for about 30 seconds.

C7A7344F-EBE1-4A5B-B368-C28673013C1D.jpeg

Edited by YVRteacher

17 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

This photo was taken in the snow room on the NCL Bliss.  You use the snow room after the sauna (or alternating with the sauna) to cool down.  There is icy snow on the walls and the floor.  I could only stay in there for about 30 seconds.

C7A7344F-EBE1-4A5B-B368-C28673013C1D.jpeg

Eventually I'm going to get on a ship with a snow room. It sounds and looks amazing! I didn't realize there was snow on the floor which makes it seem even more appealing to me...then again, I just spent five minutes outside with foot tall snow banks around getting the mail and taking the garbage out...in my robe. I did, at least, put sneakers on, instead of wearing flip flops.

But seriously, thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

then again, I just spent five minutes outside with foot tall snow banks around getting the mail and taking the garbage out...in my robe. I did, at least, put sneakers on, instead of wearing flip flops.

I lived in Rome for a short time and I taught at UFA.  When I had to wear a jacket for the July 4th fireworks, I knew it wasn't the place for me.  LOL

• Haha 1

On 12/15/2022 at 8:57 AM, pookel said:

It's relaxing. NCL's ships, especially the ones built within the past 12 years, are huge and bustling places. And that's nice. It means there's actually stuff to do.

But sometimes, being able to get away to an area that's quiet and relaxing makes the vacation so much nicer. Also, personal note, despite only being in my early 30s I got into a bad car accident 10 years ago that left me with lasting back problems and the therapy pool and heated stone loungers are amazing for pain relief.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, goin-away said:

Sailing from New York for New Years Eve, won't warm up for day plus and will be cold on way back. Booked Spa cabin so we'll have a warm pool for the whole week.  

If you're on the Getaway, we'll wave to you from across the thermal suite! I'll be firmly parking my butt there! 

• Haha 1