Sun Princess - Original

nasa1974

Just now, nasa1974 said:

How about I start a thread that says "Sun Princess Signature Suites". That seems pretty straight forward and could be helpful. 

Here is the Sanctuary thread. It fell to the bottom of page 2.

thanks for the suggestion--I just started the thread.

Hopefully those interested in suite benefits of the Sun will post there to avoid those comments from being buried in this main thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, cruisedoctor said:

Snuck into The Arena early this morning.  Obvious progress being made, in that the electronic screens are now operational.  While it was reported in an earlier post, that Padgett said The Arena would be ready for the next sailing, they said something similar about the ship and then cancelled the 2/18 sailing.  I certainly hope at least some of the shows will be available to those on the next sailing.  I’ll have to wait to see them on the September Transatlantic.

IMG_0851.thumb.jpeg.1ac4e4d75cd1715d503217aabf6eb43e.jpeg

For a ship that holds 700 more people than Royal-class ships the Arena appears to have fewer seats. It’ll be interesting to read about passengers experiences with finding seats when the Arena opens for performances.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, nasa1974 said:

Someone please start a thread about signature suites and benefits.

Last week, before the current passengers boarded, I posted a request that the host begin a thread for each type of cabin (interior, ocean view, balcony, mini-suite, suite) that could be broken down further by the different categories in each type.  It would make researching so much easier to have all the relevant information in one place. 

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

And compare that to the description of a "regular" Mini-Suite:

"Choose a luxurious Mini-Suite with balcony which is substantially larger than a Balcony stateroom. A Mini-Suite includes a separate sitting area with sofa bed, and premium bathroom amenities. For families or groups needing a little extra space, Mini-Suites offer an appealing and affordable option."

The reference to a "balcony which is substantially larger than a Balcony stateroom" is a bit of a mystery. For example, looking at the Deck Plan, compare the balcony size of 11450 (MS) with 11466 (Balcony).

Yes the balconies are the same size but it’s the room that is “substantially larger”. Stateroom 11450 (MS) is 304 sq ft and 11466 (Balcony) is 236 sq ft. Perhaps if they put a comma after the word balcony it might be more clear that it is the room that is substantially larger. 

“Choose a luxurious Mini-Suite with balcony, which is substantially larger than a Balcony stateroom.”

Or just leave out the words “with balcony”

”Choose a luxurious Mini-Suite which is substantially larger than a Balcony stateroom.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, KLM3164 said:

Yes the balconies are the same size but it’s the room that is “substantially larger”. Stateroom 11450 (MS) is 304 sq ft and 11466 (Balcony) is 236 sq ft. Perhaps if they put a comma after the word balcony it might be more clear that it is the room that is substantially larger. 

“Choose a luxurious Mini-Suite with balcony, which is substantially larger than a Balcony stateroom.”

Or just leave out the words “with balcony”

”Choose a luxurious Mini-Suite which is substantially larger than a Balcony stateroom.”

Let that be a lesson to you, kids.  Punctuation matters! 👨‍🏫

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

For a ship that holds 700 more people than Royal-class ships the Arena appears to have fewer seats. It’ll be interesting to read about passengers experiences with finding seats when the Arena opens for performances.

There shouold/would/could be more (better) options in the Dome and the Piazza...

We will have to watch and see how crowd/demand works out.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Globaler said:

They should incorporate a process where the medallion is used to require people to update their presence on a regular basis. They could have a responder on the lounge chair were the lounge chair would timeout if not updated by a certain time. If timed out then chair is open - also if it has been updated then you can’t check in.

I agree but what if people are in the pool or hot tub for longer than 30 minutes?  

6 hours ago, cruisedoctor said:

Snuck into The Arena early this morning.  Obvious progress being made, in that the electronic screens are now operational.  While it was reported in an earlier post, that Padgett said The Arena would be ready for the next sailing, they said something similar about the ship and then cancelled the 2/18 sailing.  I certainly hope at least some of the shows will be available to those on the next sailing.  I’ll have to wait to see them on the September Transatlantic.

IMG_0851.thumb.jpeg.1ac4e4d75cd1715d503217aabf6eb43e.jpeg

Thanks for letting us know and see the progress. I suppose the theater must be inspected and approved by authorities before the artists can start rehearsing for the production shows. It seems unlikely to see these shows in the next two or three cruises. I hope that at least a musician or a small group of musicians, a comedian or any other guest entertainer is able to perform here during the next cruise or so. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

Sorry, but I could not disagree more.  Sun Princess is the first ship to roll out cabins with the following designations:

• Mini-Suites
  • Reserve Mini-Suites
  • Cabana Mini-Suites
  • Reserve Cabana Mini-Suites
  • Signature Suites (that are shaped like Mini-Suites)

As well as being the first ship to roll out cabins that have:

• Reserve Cabana Deck Privileges
  • Reserve Dining Privileges
  • Signature Sun Deck Privileges
  • Signature Dining Privileges.

And is the first ship to have a newly configured Sanctuary that is partially a Sanctuary and partially not.  I think that it is perfectly logical for people looking to figure out what they get for the price they are paying and what they do not get, to obtain that information in a thread with the title "Sun Princess."  And now that the ship is operational and there are people on board, what were once assumptions can now be verified.

I’m feeling left out about the deck situation. Just to have a reserve dining room isn’t special. Kinda rethinking my selection. 

50 minutes ago, SouKnoMe said:

I’m feeling left out about the deck situation. Just to have a reserve dining room isn’t special. Kinda rethinking my selection. 

You might feel differently if you had to endure the chaos of the MDR every night.  Did you see the video that was posted a few days ago?  A giant mob of people outside the MDR at 7:30.  Nope, having access to a more private venue with fewer seats and better service is a great deal IMO.  Don’t forget they have a prime rib cart in the Reserve Restaurant, too.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

@Wishing on a star I’ve heard and read in several places that The Arena has seating for at least 1000.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/2/2024 at 2:48 PM, cruisedoctor said:

Up until this 1st sailing there has been nothing available on the Princess Answers (the place where Princess representatives and travel agents go to find answers to your questions) about The Butcher’s Block Restaurant, other than family style and high end meat being served.  I’m sure that I wasn’t the only one who was leery to make a reservation without knowing all the specifics.  Here is the scoop:

The far aft end of The Eatery is transformed into two of the specialty dining venues each evening.  The Butcher’s Block on the port side, and The Catch on the starboard side.  Here is what the Butcher’s Block area looks like:

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpeg.2ad322e0761b92196ac227a526c198fe.jpeg

The original description said the experience was going to be one long communal table being served family style.  That has changed to a multitude of tables, where passengers will be “sharing” tables, in order to maximize the space available.  Waiters and a butcher will then come around, presenting the various courses of platters of food, from which you would select your choices.  Here is the menu:

IMG_0833.thumb.jpeg.a92ec86d3df671999dc0af8f1fd2f066.jpeg

In the picture below, the platters on the right are the beef tartare, the platters on the left are the rump roast carpaccio.

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpeg.3f42b96f0d2bae7f2fb667b70795ae0f.jpeg

The main course consists of 3 types of steak, which the butcher will explain and carve based on your choice(s).  They can be see in the photo below in the “raw state”.

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpeg.3800b1cebbabc9c3e5933da90773e1a6.jpeg

You can see on the menu, there are also sides to choose from, other items like bread, a salad, etc.  You also get a desert and complimentary red wine.

This looks like a unique and good deal for carnivore passengers.  The manager said it is being very well received so far, and everyone has been leaving “fully” satisfied.  Sorry for the pun!

UPDATES BASED ON QUESTIONS I RECEIVED ABOUT MY ORIGINAL POSTING.

(1). The red numbers on the menu (next to the cuts of meat) refer back to a poster showing where on the steer these cuts come from.

(2). The three cuts of meat #9, #11, #12, & #16 are each presented to the diners by the butcher.  You can order(take) any or ALL of them…it’s up to you.

(3)  As to the cook of the meat you select, they prepare it medium-rare.  However, if you want yours cooked further they will certainly do it for you.

• Thanks 8

10 minutes ago, cruisedoctor said:

UPDATES BASED ON QUESTIONS I RECEIVED ABOUT MY ORIGINAL POSTING.

(1). The red numbers on the menu (next to the cuts of meat) refer back to a poster showing where on the steer these cuts come from.

(2). The three cuts of meat #9, #11, #12, & #16 are each presented to the diners by the butcher.  You can order(take) any or ALL of them…it’s up to you.

(3)  As to the cook of the meat you select, they prepare it medium-rare.  However, if you want yours cooked further they will certainly do it for you.

Thanks!!

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that the Signature and Reserve dining rooms have the same menus?  Also, the only real difference between these dining rooms and the MDR is primarily the rolling prime rib cart?  I would expect the Signature dining room to be on the same level as Laminae on Celebrity or Coastal Kitchen on Royal.  That is a major disappointment to me.  

2 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Sorry, but I could not disagree more.  Sun Princess is the first ship to roll out cabins with the following designations:

• Mini-Suites
  • Reserve Mini-Suites
  • Cabana Mini-Suites

And is the first ship to have a newly configured Sanctuary that is partially a Sanctuary and partially not.  I think that it is perfectly logical for people looking to figure out what they get for the price they are paying and what they do not get, to obtain that information in a thread with the title "Sun Princess."  And now that the ship is operational and there are people on board, what were once assumptions can now be verified.

What is a suite?

I have no idea what the definition of a suite is anymore since anything can be called a suite nowadays. Princess appears to have taken the lead of Mercedes and BMW to sell the "princess suite brand" at multiple price points

• Like 2

I received another question, on a different thread, as to whether there is a difference between The Crown Grill and The Butcher’s Block, since Princess put out a news release last October insinuating that Dario was revamping the Crown Grill’s menu.  I had dinner in the Crown Grill this evening, and spoke with the venue manager about this.

Here is the Princess release from last October;  In addition, the cruise line’s signature steakhouse, Crown Grill, will feature a refined upscale menu designed by Cecchini. The menu proudly features the highly coveted "Bistecca Alla Fiorentina," a distinctive Florentine Steak prepared with the bone, sourced directly from the prestigious Antica Macelleria Cecchini butcher shop in Panzano.

I was told that the menu in the Crown Grill has not changed, and is similar to its counterparts on the rest of the fleet.  What has changed on the Sun, is the experiential “Chef’s Dinner” within the Crown Grill.  On the Sun, it will be called “Chef’s Dinner By Dario” and it will include his special cuts of meat, similar to that served in the Butcher’s Block.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

11 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that the Signature and Reserve dining rooms have the same menus?  Also, the only real difference between these dining rooms and the MDR is primarily the rolling prime rib cart?  I would expect the Signature dining room to be on the same level as Laminae on Celebrity or Coastal Kitchen on Royal.  That is a major disappointment to me.  

I don’t think Reserve and Signature have the same menu as the MDR.  I think the quality of the food and service is supposed to be better than MDR in both Reserve and Signature. Also, there will be no need to fight the MDR mobs; that alone is a huge benefit for me. We’ll have to wait for feedback from people who actually eat in these venues to confirm all this, of course.  But I certainly don’t think the only difference between the Reserve (or Signature) and the MDR is the prime rib cart.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SouKnoMe said:

Reserve dining takes the stress out of the MDR... is it worth it if not getting a special/unique cabin... no but its a nice plus especially since on the Royal class we only book M6s

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisedoctor said:

@Wishing on a star I’ve heard and read in several places that The Arena has seating for at least 1000.

Given that the ship's capacity is 4,300 (and that is assuming only 2 passengers per cabin so the number could increase considerably if the 3 and 4 passenger cabins were counted as such) more than half the passengers will miss the production shows and guest entertainers that are offered only twice on a single night.  I wonder if the show schedules will change.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, gah_cruise said:

Does anyone know of any vlogs and reviews that are posted of the inaugural cruise of the Sun Princess?
I can only find short snippets so far.

As the inaugural is still ongoing you won't get a full review yet - it takes a lot of effort to edit these so the main videos so far will be shorter and more focused - many linked to in this thread if you scroll back

Edited by dides
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

• Mini-Suites
  • Reserve Mini-Suites
  • Cabana Mini-Suites

Seems like a partially thought-out hodge-podge.  Like they said "We need this", "We need that", and they just made it happen as you said - wave the wand.  So, I guess the upsell is for a certain set of privileges and not about the cabin itself.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cruisedoctor said:

In addition, the cruise line’s signature steakhouse, Crown Grill, will feature a refined upscale menu designed by Cecchini. The menu proudly features the highly coveted "Bistecca Alla Fiorentina," a distinctive Florentine Steak prepared with the bone, sourced directly from the prestigious Antica Macelleria Cecchini butcher shop in Panzano.

I'm [more than] a bit confused.  The chef (or is he a butcher?) who is heading up this partnership is Italian, with a famous butcher shop in Tuscany.  The Crown Grill is going to get a Chef's Dinner featuring a Florentine Steak from said chef/butcher.  But the Butcher's Block menu says at the bottom that all of the meat sourced for that restaurant comes from Spain. So is Princess tapping into this butcher's famous offerings at Butcher's Block, or is the chef/butcher merely adding his name to the operation?

Edited by JimmyVWine