To bid or not to bid

colesc15

Curious for others opinions.. We're on Navigator coming up. We're currently in junior suite 1694, so the huge aft balcony. I understand navigator has the steel structure in the back, but from my understanding, deck 10 is above most. 

Royal ups are available, and while I know they're long shots, would you bid? 

Grand suite minimum bid is $100 pp minimum 

Owner suite is $190 pp minimum 

Royal suite is $375 pp minimum. 

Yes, they're all within budget, but are any worth giving up the big aft balcony and already in a junior suite? I'm thinking no to the grand suite, but the owner & royal are intriguing although the "suite experience" isn't as special as the newer ships. 

If it is a 7 day cruise we would probably bid on all 3, at a minimum bid 😉

On Navigstor you are not getting Suite lounge 11-11 free drinks, no Coastal Kitchen so your really just paying for A bigger room and a few other perks like using the CL

JS already get priority embarkation (Suite)

On Oasis class ships makes more sense to bid higher, on non Oasis class ships JS really is not a bad option.

if using the CL is important to you, bid

YMMW

Happy Days!

Edited by PompeySailor
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, colesc15 said:

We've stayed in many suites with Royal and I've never once used the concierge. To each their own 

On embarkation day the concierge asked me to meet him in a lounge on deck 5 of Allure  at 8:15 am, so he could assist with the task. I walked right out without breaking stride just following the few people ahead of me. 

I wonder what he would of done differently had i followed his instruction.

It would of delayed my departure had i followed his request.

And perhaps my pocket would of been a tad lighter .🙂

I also didnt use them for anything the entire cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colesc15 said:

Curious for others opinions.. We're on Navigator coming up. We're currently in junior suite 1694, so the huge aft balcony. I understand navigator has the steel structure in the back, but from my understanding, deck 10 is above most. 

Yes, they're all within budget, but are any worth giving up the big aft balcony and already in a junior suite? I'm thinking no to the grand suite, but the owner & royal are intriguing although the "suite experience" isn't as special as the newer ships. 

We are on the Navigator Jan. 13.

We got the offer for the Royal Suite & the Owners Suite

but...

THEY ARE NOT AVAILABLE !

25 minutes ago, dada2199cc said:

I would use it pre-cruise for sure, 100% of the time.  Plus for CK stuff?

I have only JS booked for my next 12 cruises and check real suite prices every week hoping I can afford it, just for the precruise concierge and CK option.

Having never stayed in a suite and not one to typically use a concierge, I'm wondering what they do for you? What do they do pre-cruise that a TA doesn't do? Wondering what I've cheated myself of. TIA

I would bid.  To me a JS is not that great.  But the others you listed are.  Remember you can only bid up to classes, so competition is not that great.  Plus somebody from a lower class will get your JS so RC makes out.  You never know who's plane is gonna break down.  Nothing to lose.  I always bid a bit more then min, if a min is warranted, but not much.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, loman said:

On embarkation day the concierge asked me to meet him in a lounge on deck 5 of Allure  at 8:15 am, so he could assist with the task. I walked right out without breaking stride just following the few people ahead of me. 

I wonder what he would of done differently had i followed his instruction.

It would of delayed my departure had i followed his request.

And perhaps my pocket would of been a tad lighter .🙂

I also didnt use them for anything the entire cruise.

Correction ...That would be disembarkation day . 

1 hour ago, colesc15 said:

My opinion:  No.   Stick with the cabin you have.  (I am assuming that there are just two of you.)

• Like 4

@colesc15I'd stick with 1694--I've sailed in that cabin twice, it's great.  I have bid and won several Royal Ups, but only bid when it's a quantum or oasis class ship.  On other ships, there's not really a ton of added value, unless you REALLY want a much larger room.  On Navigator, there's not much in the way of things for a Concierge to help you with compared to those other classes, since you don't need reservations for shows, and there's not a Coastal Kitchen.  

People spend their time differently.  Which do you value more a bigger balcony or a bigger cabin?   The concierge does not seem valuable to you.  Are the free happy hour drinks and snacks in the lounge valuable to you?  They are to some, while not to others.  Also, you do not get to pick your suite location, so you could get a noisier location; if you are noise sensitive, that’s a reason to pass.

I’m not sure it matters what others would do, but I’ll share.  We don’t spend a lot of time on the balcony but do enjoy a luxurious suite now and then.  I’d probably bid.

Do not bid.  You're already in one of the best cabins on the ship.  I've not sailed in that exact cabin, but I've sailed in another 10th deck aft balcony cabin.  They're the best.  

I'm pretty sure that Royal Up winners don't get suite benefits -- just the bigger room.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Do not bid.  You're already in one of the best cabins on the ship.  I've not sailed in that exact cabin, but I've sailed in another 10th deck aft balcony cabin.  They're the best.  

I'm pretty sure that Royal Up winners don't get suite benefits -- just the bigger room.  

I do know that you will pay the upgraded gratuity amount for the suite.

I do know that you will not get double points if you upgrade from a balcony or an inside to a suite.

I have read that you will get the suite benefits that go along with the suite.

Someone will need to confirm this as i cant find it in the RCCL site.

I have done navigator 3 times always a grand suite , concierge is very helpful, also get a happy hour in concierge or suite lounge. Breakfast in a specialty restaurant and concierge walks you off the ship and the end of the cruise. Plus a larger suite with a large bathroom with double sinks . I say bid.

excellent pool seats reserved for full suites only.

Edited by George C

We gave up our aft JS for a 1 BR GS on Brilliance in late August. Would do it again in a heartbeat. Great CS concierge, breakfast in Chops every morning, CS drinks, huge cabin with so much storage we had to keep looking for our stuff. I'll bid on all available suites from now on, unless (like our upcoming cruise next week) we're cruising with family/grandkids and we have a block of cabins altogether. (The group trip means we wouldn't be taking advantage of all the other suite perks, either).

Other than that, we'll roll those dice every time!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

No, when we RU'd from a JS to GS we got all the suite benefits. If you RU from a balcony or lower to a suite my understanding is that you don't get double points, but everything else is the suite life.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cruisin from florida said:

We gave up our aft JS for a 1 BR GS on Brilliance in late August. Would do it again in a heartbeat. , huge cabin with so much storage we had to keep looking for our stuff. 

OS on Jewel had 34 drawers!! Next time maybe I'll tape half of them closed, it was a pain gathering up everything at the end!

• Haha 1