Chocolate Pistachio Dome Desert

Outerdog

20 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

literally 3 pages of them

I appreciate the response.  None of those look like the shiny bulbous green-tit menagerie I just saw. They come close, but not quite right. I stupidly failed to take a pic of it. It was absurd in its shape and sweet to the point that S&H went out of business.

It was a large shiny green dome of sweet horror. On the Royal. This week.

• Haha 2

WOW!  Many different looking versions.  Hmmmmm, what's up with that?

I am so sad about the demise of one of my favorites, love boat dream 😞  This replacement does not even look like something I would want to try.  The official Norman Love pistachio dome was one of my favorites.  So sad what they have done now.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Coral said:

Just weird how the chef can change a recipe so much?

It's not weird. It's the shoreside chef and costs which dictate this change;  that's why you're seeing this roll out on multiple ships. You'll see the new menus have an updated description. Same with Princess love boat dream. Much cheaper ingredients. 

13 hours ago, hpeabody said:

I am so sad about the demise of one of my favorites, love boat dream 😞  This replacement does not even look like something I would want to try. 

The real original LBD had a crisp bottom, overly rich chocolate (not pudding), and a Godiva chocolate with the sea witch logo on top. It has been years since that version was served.

What is served now is a Love Boat Nightmare.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The above photo was from last week. I got the shiny version.  The ring is supposed to fit around the base of the dome. 

My wife thought it looked like the contents of a toilet bowl. Not attractive at all. 

But...

I ate the whole thing. It was delicious 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Me thinks there is a tremendous amount of variability in what is being presented under the same name on board.  While the stage entertainers all go to California to learn their production shows before getting to the ship (at least Princess used to make a big deal about stateside training for production shows), it seems like food prep is not given such detailed training.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeromep said:

Me thinks there is a tremendous amount of variability in what is being presented under the same name on board.  While the stage entertainers all go to California to learn their production shows before getting to the ship (at least Princess used to make a big deal about stateside training for production shows), it seems like food prep is not given such detailed training.

The weird thing is that I have taken galley tours before and they have pictures of what the dish is supposed to look like - most likely used to plate the meal but they are real pictures.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coral said:

The weird thing is that I have taken galley tours before and they have pictures of what the dish is supposed to look like - most likely used to plate the meal but they are real pictures.

I've done the galley tour before and noticed the visual assembly instructions.  Reminded me a bit of the graphics that fast food joints use in their kitchens.

All of the photos in the thread have some similarity, the belt line of freckled chocolate, some quantity of stacking of chocolate swirls and macaroons, it's the dome that varies.  Is it shiny and green, or is it just chocolate brown, how about matte green with a chia like surface?

"Cha-cha-cha-chia.  It's the new Chia desert from Princess Cruises.  Rich velvety green which is sure not to match with how it actually tastes.  And random stacking of other pastries in our kitchen.  How about some curls of white chocolate and a really small macaroon.  Little dabs of sweet sauces on your plate.  You'll love it.  Princess Cruises, come back new."

• Like 1