Might Need To Cancel Last Minute

halfapair

I am pretty sure I know the answer, but thought I would see what the professionals have to say.

My husband and I are in Miami, FL and ready to board the Insignia on December 28th, but my dad was taken to the hospital for what might be a small stroke. His brother and my mom are with him. Tests are being run, etc. 

If I need to cancel our cruise, will we just be out our whole cruise fare? Probably yes, I am guessing…. 

Has anyone had this happen? We did not take out insurance, and I don’t know if travel insurance would cover something like this. If anyone has experience with travel insurance for medical emergencies for family members, it would be great to hear about your experiences (for next time).

4 minutes ago, halfapair said:

I am pretty sure I know the answer, but thought I would see what the professionals have to say.

My husband and I are in Miami, FL and ready to board the Insignia on December 28th, but my dad was taken to the hospital for what might be a small stroke. His brother and my mom are with him. Tests are being run, etc. 

If I need to cancel our cruise, will we just be out our whole cruise fare? Probably yes, I am guessing…. 

Has anyone had this happen? We did not take out insurance, and I don’t know if travel insurance would cover something like this. If anyone has experience with travel insurance for medical emergencies for family members, it would be great to hear about your experiences (for next time).

Yes, you will be out of the whole cruise fare if you cancel.  Insurance would normally cover this situation, at least according to the details of our policy.  Let's hope the tests have a positive outcome.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, halfapair said:

I never travel without the ins.& I've been on about 30 cruises only had to use it once.I think it's worth it since it's not very much for piece of mind,otherwise you do lose all your money.

You are in the 100% penalty phase. Without insurance, your question about medical emergencies refunds (immediate family in your household or otherwise) has only one answer. You are SOL.

Just now, halfapair said:

What insurance company and plan do you normally get? I will need to start purchasing that policy for us.

Not how to do it. Everyone’s circumstances are different. Contact a travel insurance broker (no fee to you). We use InsureMyTrip.com. They’ll interview you and help you make the right decision. Pay attention- a lot of folks have no clue about what they need or what to buy.

What insurance company and plan do you normally get? I will need to start purchasing that policy for us.

There are credit cards that include a small amount of travel insurance (some require the card to be used for the entire purchase, so deposit + final payment). My credit unions offer $2k and a $3k per person coverage. Larger banks (like Chase) may have larger coverage amounts. I switched to one of these cards (2021?) when none of my cards covered rental car insurance any more. For trips more than the max I either self insure or get travel insurance (usually Alliance). If you are taking multiple trips per year, a yearly travel insurance policy may be a better deal than buying for each trip.

Edit: ^ just do what FF said! I do recommend the credit card option though for minimal coverage.

Edited by AMHuntFerry
  • Like 1

I have always had great service when calling the folks at TripInsuranceStore.com for my trip insurance needs.  Their knowledge to my specific needs gives me confidence.  Steve often hosts a Q&A here on CC.  I hope all is good and you can cruise...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, halfapair said:

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this, and first things first, I hope your father is okay!

Travel insurance policies can vary in their coverage.  The type we get absolutely does cover this situation; we had a very similar claim, but it was very elderly MIL with a sudden heart problem.  She wanted us to go, but the doctors told us, "Uh, no, you probably shouldn't leave town just now".  She was mid/late 90s, and she did make it through (though she passed about a year or two ago, five weeks short of her 100th (fully alert until the last few days).

I'll second the suggestion that you contact Steve at www.TripInsuranceStore.com - but CALL him/them, don't rely only on the short onling policy summaries.  There's no way they can capture all of the possible situations you might be likely to want insured.  They'll ask you questions about things like pre-existing conditions, and if there are any non-traveling family members that might be a concern, etc.

We get insurance from Travel Insured, through TIS.  They can also help with claims, or any unusual or difficult situations (probably for insurance from any of the vetted insurers they work with).  We had a check for the full amount within about two weeks of submitting the complete claims forms.

GC

• Like 1

Most important reason to have trip insurance is not for trip cancellation coverage. It is for medical evacuation which can cost much more than the cost of a cruise if from a remote location. Second reason is for medical coverage outside of your home country which is often not covered by your health insurance policy. Of course cancellation coverage is important also but not to the magnitude of the other reasons, IMHO.

• Like 1

We carry a Chase Sapphire Reserve VISA card that we charge everything to. By everything, I mean out entire life. Every penny we spend that can go on a credit card goes on that card. It has a VERY high annual fee ($550/you get back the first $300 you spend on travel as a credit), but it gives us complete coverage for all trips we use it on. If your situation had happened to us, we would have been covered. 

It also has some great advantages beyond insurance. First, each dollar you spend comes to about 2-3¢ when spent on travel through Chase. A year of spending usually nets us a round-trip Business class ticket to Europe. You also get a Priority Pass that lets you into First Class lounges in most airports. If you use it at restaurants, you can get 3x points and higher for other types of purchases. 

When you get the card the first time, you have an opportunity to earn bonus miles if you spend a certain amount in the first 90-120 days (the current offer is 60,000 points—worth $900 in travel). 

• Like 1

Thank you for all your replies. My dad is home now. And next time we make a purchase this large we will purchase insurance. That is a guarantee!

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas, and you have a happy & healthy new year.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrKoob said:

We carry a Chase Sapphire Reserve VISA card that we charge everything to. By everything, I mean out entire life. Every penny we spend that can go on a credit card goes on that card. It has a VERY high annual fee ($550/you get back the first $300 you spend on travel as a credit), but it gives us complete coverage for all trips we use it on. If your situation had happened to us, we would have been covered. 

It also has some great advantages beyond insurance. First, each dollar you spend comes to about 2-3¢ when spent on travel through Chase. A year of spending usually nets us a round-trip Business class ticket to Europe. You also get a Priority Pass that lets you into First Class lounges in most airports. If you use it at restaurants, you can get 3x points and higher for other types of purchases. 

When you get the card the first time, you have an opportunity to earn bonus miles if you spend a certain amount in the first 90-120 days (the current offer is 60,000 points—worth $900 in travel). 

Main problem with credit card insurance is that medical claims resulting from pre existing medical conditions are often not covered.

Cruisers of a certain age [speaking personally...] all have some pre-existing conditions, therefore this is a major coverage issue.  We get the Allianz Journey policy through our Travel Agent.  As long as you cover the entire cruise fare within 14 days of FINAL PAYMENT [and are medically able to travel on the day you take out the policy], they waive the pre-existing exclusion.  This policy costs a little more than some others, but our experience with the Allianz claims department has been so good that I won't take any other policy.

[We use this trick to maximize coverage and minimize costs:  when we make the first payment on a trip we take out a policy with the minimum coverage amount – this locks in the pre-existing waiver and also locks in our ages for the policy price schedule; then as we add non-refundable payments we increase the coverage, until Final Payment when we bring it up to the top.  You do not pay any more in the end, but you can stretch out the payments.  If we cancel a trip, Allianz lets us roll this policy over to a new trip with no loss of payments.  Also we don't cover the cost of airfare, since the airlines give you the fare back as a credit – insurance wouldn't cover that anyway, so don't pay for phantom coverage!]

2 hours ago, halfapair said:

Thank you for all your replies. My dad is home now. And next time we make a purchase this large we will purchase insurance. That is a guarantee!

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas, and you have a happy & healthy new year.

Hurray! The successful treatment of strokes these days is nothing short of amazing. I hope he has a full recovery soon.

9 hours ago, halfapair said:

Glad to hear that your dad is recovering!  I too learned my travel insurance lesson the hard way.  Just here to give another plug for Allianz, I use them for all my travel coverage, have never had to make a claim thus far but the piece of mind is well worth it.  

Host Jazzbeau,

can you explain more about increasing the amount of coverage as you go along? Do you just call to increase or do it online yourself? Your travel agent? Is it the usual cruise insurance that they offer or specific to a cruise line?

thanks!

11 hours ago, halfapair said:

Good  news

Hope he will be OK

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Cruisers of a certain age [speaking personally...] all have some pre-existing conditions, therefore this is a major coverage issue.  We get the Allianz Journey policy through our Travel Agent.  As long as you cover the entire cruise fare within 14 days of FINAL PAYMENT [and are medically able to travel on the day you take out the policy], they waive the pre-existing exclusion. 

Is this for medical only ?

Or trip cancellation prior to the cruise?

We did cancel a cruise earlier this year at the last minute due to a death in the family.  Pre Covid I never bought travel insurance, but I looked for an affordable way to cover multiple trips per year.  I found a Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card with travel coverage up to $10k per claim and multiple trips/year.  No medical, but GeoBlue is an additional annual medical coverage plan.  The Chase card has an annual fee of $95, which is a great deal if they continue it.  My claim was just short of $10,000 for the cruise and my airfare was on FF miles.  Virtually all my out of pocket costs were reimbursed.  Filing the claim was tedious and frustrating but it did pay, hopefully it will be the only time we have such an experience.

43 minutes ago, shank63 said:

We did cancel a cruise earlier this year at the last minute due to a death in the family.  Pre Covid I never bought travel insurance, but I looked for an affordable way to cover multiple trips per year.  I found a Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card with travel coverage up to $10k per claim and multiple trips/year.  

Thanks for the first hand experience details.  This is the route I have gone but was wondering if it really paid.  I went for the Sapphire reserve to get the airport lounge benefits.   I do expect a tedious process but glad to hear it does pay for what I want covered.   I am also using GeoBlue per trip as it's very affordable.  

• Like 1