Eclipse Inside or OV

RTR 21-0

Hello everyone and Happy New Year!  We are looking at a 6 night Cabo & San Diego cruise and considering either an inside or OV cabin.  This would be our first time on Celebrity so we’re not sure about their cabin layout and would love to hear first hand experience with inside and OV and recommendations. It’s hard to really tell the size from the videos I’ve seen.  We always get a balcony on our Carnival cruises, only once an inside cabin and it was tight. Since we have an overnight stay in Cabo we think we’ll be spending more time off the ship than on, and on sea days wandering around the ship checking it out so won’t be in the cabin as much.  That extra money would be great to apply to our flights but I don’t want that claustrophobic feeling either.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts.   

I stayed in an inside on Eclipse this past July to Alaska. It was the same size as a balcony room, just minus the window or balcony, obviously.  It was quiet and perfect for us because we were never in the room during daylight hours, so we didn't need a window.  The price was half a balcony cabin, so it was definitely worth it 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We personally feel claustrophobic in an inside cabin. We only chose to stay in one the very first time we cruised. We had an issue in our cabin during our last cruise, and we were put in an inside room while they fixed the problem with ours. We both said, no again, to the inside room.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, RTR 21-0 said:

but I don’t want that claustrophobic feeling either.

only once an inside cabin and it was tight. 

There's your answer.

Also, it's very hard for anyone else to decide for you due to your budget and personal preferences.

Example--- It seems that most CCers stay in a suite---

We tried it once but the value wasn't there for us ( Non drinkers, don't need much internet, never required service from our Butler, prefer to make my own reservation, etc ).

Either way, I'm sure you will enjoy Celebrity.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

There's your answer.

Also, it's very hard for anyone else to decide for you due to your budget and personal preferences.

We tried it once but the value wasn't there for us ( Non drinkers, don't need much internet, never required service from our Butler, prefer to make my own reservation, etc ).

Either way, I'm sure you will enjoy Celebrity.

Not sure about your statement that most CCers stay in suites.  Do agree about budget and cabin selection is a very personal preference.  My DH wants to stay in an outside cabin on Deck 3 on S class. I say no way - need my veranda! 

Never been in suite as can't bring myself to pay so much for a cabin.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have stayed in inside cabins the majority of our cruises and are happy to sleep like a baby - particularly helpful during summer Baltic cruises where it is light very late.  We have also enjoyed other cabins but still look to insides to stretch the budget for B2B cruises.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, gfkcruiser said:

Not sure about your statement that most CCers stay in suites.

I'm not positive, but it certainly does feel like it. Even the ones who claim to not be high maintenance seem to always be posting about what the lowest level of suite they'll stay in is. Definitely feels like on here most people are in suites and only go lower if they absolutely have to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I stayed in an Oceanview cabin on Reflection (same class as Eclipse) and it was one of my favourite cabins. It was one of the forward facing cabins looking over the front of the ship and is huge. There is noise from the anchor and ropes being deployed when docking and some vibration, which didn't worry us but some may not like. The space and view were great and it was very quiet at night. We were in 8106.

IMG20220603140500.thumb.jpg.0b32b26f42e456e412b0f3aac0923764.jpg

IMG20220603140527.thumb.jpg.e8dc07dab6c3b6249051b302b43a106e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is the view from the window of 8106 on Reflection. It cost more than an Inside and less than a Balcony and thought it was a great alternative to save some money but still have a spacious cabin with a view. Check the deck plan as other Oceanviews that are not at the front of the ship are not as spacious.

IMG20220603140615.thumb.jpg.63ea7c15577818f6d6c13fd70c504251.jpg

Edited by PurpleTraveller
  • Thanks 2

My wife and I are now both retired and we cruise more than 150 days a year, and to keep up that pace we always cruise in an inside cabin.  Celebrity is the best in this department.  Cabins are large and well designed, and we've never felt uncomfortable.  We sleep so much better in an inside cabin because of the total darkness.  We've cruised in multiple balcony, OV, and even a couple of suite cabins -- not worth the extra cash (IMHO).  

If you are doing a "trip of a lifetime", sure try the best cabin you can afford, but if you are doing BtoBtoBtoB and that's just the start of the year, save some money and book a well situated inside cabin.  After 930 days of cruising, the whole upscale cabin thing is lost on me.  Example:  BtoBtoB in Alaska in May (total for two people) = $3,816, all included for 21 nights on the Solstice, or a 7-night cruise in an S-1 Suite at $3,692 on the Solstice.

Enjoy!

Kel

PS -- we do like those forward facing OV cabins!

Edited by kelmac
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some recent photos of forward-facing OV cabins on S-class ships show two club chairs and a table in front of the window. I really hope that this arrangement exists across that class fleet since we've booked 8101 on the Eclipse!

• Like 1

Our first cruise was an inside, forward, with 2 bunks on Carnival Mardi Gras.  I was happy just to be able to go back then.  If it means saving to do other things and you like to roam around the ship, go for it.  We go with OV now.  I like the window, to see the morning weather......before headed out to get coffee.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again to everyone that has replied and especially on a holiday 😊 very helpful.  I did notice the FF OV and am also interested in those but I’m wondering how much you can feel movement in those?  Have never stayed in a FF cabin and thought that may be something different especially with a view.  Fifteen cruises and the only one I experienced some seasickness was on our return May cruise on Panorama to Mexican Riviera.  That Pacific was pretty rough.  We were aft, deck 7 so I know that had something to do with the amount of motion we felt.  Anyone notice a lot in the FF OV? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RTR 21-0 said:

Thanks again to everyone that has replied and especially on a holiday 😊 very helpful.  I did notice the FF OV and am also interested in those but I’m wondering how much you can feel movement in those?  Have never stayed in a FF cabin and thought that may be something different especially with a view.  Fifteen cruises and the only one I experienced some seasickness was on our return May cruise on Panorama to Mexican Riviera.  That Pacific was pretty rough.  We were aft, deck 7 so I know that had something to do with the amount of motion we felt.  Anyone notice a lot in the FF OV? 

if seas are calm, you will be fine, if rough, forward will feel it, which I love

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RTR 21-0 said:

When we were in 8106 we were in the Mediterranean and the water was like glass so there was no movement to feel. Fortunately I don't get seasick so a forward cabin never worries me. I guess it is very dependent on where you are cruising, how rough the seas are and if you get seasick.

Edited by PurpleTraveller
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Pinboy said:

A sweeping statement- I have never been in a Suite, and I have been a member of Cruise Critic for almost 20 years.

But I do like to sit in the sun and loungers are at a premium, so we often sit on the balcony.

Edited by upwarduk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, upwarduk said:

A sweeping statement- I have never been in a Suite, and I have been a member of Cruise Critic for almost 20 years.

But I do like to sit in the sun and loungers are at a premium, so we often sit on the balcony.

" A sweeping statement "-----

Absolutely---as I said " it seems that, etc etc " based on what I have read on CC.

Frankly, (LOL) I don't care who stays where or even who the Captain is on our cruise or any cruise we book in the future . ( LOL) .

( I do enjoy reading your posts ).

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, upwarduk said:

We haven't cruised for a while, so haven't spent much time on these boards.  Now we have booked a cruise so I am checking frequently.  It certainly seems to me that these days posts have more emphasis on the suite experience than pre covid.  We choose our cabins based on itinerary and weather.  We have had balconies and insides, and will probably never sail in a suite because we are very moderate drinkers and low internet users, so paying for these inclusions isn't worth it for us.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2