Oceanview Cafe dinner service being eliminated?

LMaxwell

A couple other things we noticed while on our Silhouette cruise last week:

No bananas at the breakfast buffet except for some pre sliced in the yogurt section.

Lots of people wearing shorts & t-shirts in the main dining room in the evening (even saw one man with flip-flops).

We  never got a water glass refill at dinner.

The waiters never gave unsolicited recommendations, but if asked, we learned to get something else.  After two nights of overcooked fish, our waiter didn’t recommend the crab encrusted flounder—said it was “fishy”.  We got it anyways and it was hands down the best meal of the week, tender, flaky, tasty, and not fishy at all!

We were on HAL’s Nieuw Statendam in October and the Lido buffet for dinner for the most part offered the same entrees as the main dining room.  Probably as many passengers ate at the buffet on port days as did in the dining rooms.  Once upon a time I would have ranked X superior to HAL, but in the area of food quality & service, not any more— especially on the Pinnacle class ships.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, LoveCruisingSD said:

How would those MDR people feel if they cut that back and made them dine only in OV if they wanted a decent meal?

You have raised a good point, but in reverse...suppose the MDR  service and menu offerings took on the OV style because it's indicated here that it's the people's preference  - although they are not in the majority?   Most would really have a reason to complain.

The OV is providing an alternative to the MDR, not a replacement of a complete menu.  The alternative has not been taken away,  but reduced.  Within those food groups there is variety if the menus reported here are accurate.  From what's posted here, some want all their dinners in the OV, some want a 'place to dine' after a late  excursion, some don't go at all.  With a hit and miss like this, how can X provide a full menu for an undetermined number of diners?  IMO it's good the diners are being counted and the use is monitored.  Something beneficial for OV diners may come out of this with actual study.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SueMo said:

We were on HAL’s Nieuw Statendam in October and the Lido buffet for dinner for the most part offered the same entrees as the main dining room.  Probably as many passengers ate at the buffet on port days as did in the dining rooms.  Once upon a time I would have ranked X superior to HAL, but in the area of food quality & service, not any more

When we sailed on HAL we would go to the buffet when it opened in the evenings just to see the MDR entrees for that night, made it easier to decide what to order in the MDR. After sailing last summer on the HAL Oosterdam following our Reflection cruise, I would have to agree with your food comment. I can honestly say the Oosterdam MDR food, overall was better than the food in the Reflection Luminae. We had for the first time, more misses than hits in Luminae. Fortunately, the food isn't the main reason we cruise Celebrity, the Retreat overall is a much better experience than the suites on HAL. We have two cruises this year in Sky Suites on Equinox and Apex, if the food is no better than the Reflection last year, we may be rethinking our two Edge cruises in 2024 and looking at Viking or Oceania.

Edited by terrydtx

16 hours ago, harz99 said:

We are 2 long term non suite Celebrity cruisers at E-plus loyalty level, quite frankly with all the cutbacks and changes we no longer feel valued in any way by Celebrity, the product is not deserving of the price being asked in any way shape or form, having taken a Canaries cruise on Silhouette last October to use up our FCCs from covid cancellations, i cannot see us ever taking another cruise on this line. Of course there will be plenty of newbies to take our place - they (X) hope!

At this rate we’re going to be on a very quiet Equinox in September, brilliant, no queuing at bars and falling out with arrogant fellow passengers who push in 😁can’t wait 👍

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

1)  The alternative has not been taken away,  but reduced.  Within those food groups there is variety if the menus reported here are accurate.

2) With a hit and miss like this, how can X provide a full menu for an undetermined number of diners?  

I disagree with #1. If reports are accurate, our preference of a fresh, healthy, made-to-order meal has been taken away. What I have seen reported is trays full of unhealthy pre-made choices (lasagna ?, meat stew?, soggy stir fry?). 

Regarding point 2, it wouldn’t take much research for Celebrity to identify trends in the number of diners. I get the need to reduce cost, but if photos are a true representation, X has went to the extreme.

The current evening buffet offered by Celebrity appears to be the worst in the entire industry. Of course, that is not to say the rest of the lines won’t lower their bar also, but what I’m seeing reported is a whole new level of cost savings and anything but a healthy alternative. 

Let’s just hope in a complete of months , Celebrity will be able to have enough staff and there will not be “any supply issues “ and it can go to the way it was in 2012 , minus the jacket in MDR , 

( retired and learn to make bread and cookies , if I put a dinner jacket on the button may pop off and take an eye out 🤣

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Let’s just hope in a complete of months , Celebrity will be able to have enough staff and there will not be “any supply issues “ and it can go to the way it was in 2012 , minus the jacket in MDR , 

( retired and learn to make bread and cookies , if I put a dinner jacket on the button may pop off and take an eye out 🤣

They better have enough staff as most of their 2023 cruises are no longer sailing with reduced passenger load, so demand for food and services will be increasing.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

They better have enough staff as most of their 2023 cruises are no longer sailing with reduced passenger load, so demand for food and services will be increasing.

I don't blame crew for not returning after the way they were treated at the outbreak of the pandemic. Probably will be difficult to recruit crew for a while yet unless they give really good offers. 

• Like 1

I think part of what’s going on with Celebrity and the downgraded food options can be attributed to having a new CEO in place. Richard Fain, longtime CEO and Chairman of the Royal Caribbean Group, retired about a year ago. He was replaced by Jason Liberty, the former Finance Director. 

We are currently on the Reflection. 2 nights ago they had the grill and the pasta station open. It seemed like there were more selections on the standard buffet lines as well. As far as service, everyone has been very kind and helpful in assisting my dietary needs(gluten free) offering to prepare off menu items on both the buffet, Blu, and the Lawn Club Grill. I could not be more pleased. My husband mentioned that he felt the staff was much more polite and cheerful than our pre-pandemic sailing on Princess. So maybe perspective? 

• Like 10

20 minutes ago, mtnlvr53 said:

We are currently on the Reflection. 2 nights ago they had the grill and the pasta station open. It seemed like there were more selections on the standard buffet lines as well. As far as service, everyone has been very kind and helpful in assisting my dietary needs(gluten free) offering to prepare off menu items on both the buffet, Blu, and the Lawn Club Grill. I could not be more pleased. My husband mentioned that he felt the staff was much more polite and cheerful than our pre-pandemic sailing on Princess. So maybe perspective? 

So nice to hear from someone actually onboard in a position to provide their opinion, in this case, positive. ☺️

Edited by Oceangoer2

3 hours ago, jean87510 said:

exactly.  And for more variety of food then I currently have in my refrigerator.

These comments make no sense!  What homework did I do?  I'm an extremely busy professional who took about 10 minutes to provide feedback and suggestions to Celebrity, because I and many others are not happy with this change.  If you're happy with the change, great, but no need to be critical.

As for the refrigerator comment, part of the cruise fare is various dining options, yes with variety.  That's the point of a buffet, not essentially a casual MDR.  We like the option of having a variety of healthy options in the OVC as opposed to two carrots or a stalk of broccoli on my plate in the MDR.  Some people actually like to create their own meal.  I'm not asking for a full return of the OVC, just something in the middle of full and what it is now.  The now literally have the worst buffet in the industry and that happened overnight.

• Like 14

12 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Our MDR menu on the Equinox for our June 4th cruise now shows Pork and Beans as an entree on day 6 of the cruise in the app, this wasn't there previously.  Oh well we are in a suite so we will be in Luminae.

Suite Suite Suite Luminae Luminae Luminae   I'm beginning to see a pattern in  posts.

Edited by weregoingcruising
correction
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Something beneficial for OV diners may come out of this with actual study

Trying to decide what to do with the OV based on attendance after making it a shadow of what it was is like the television networks moving shows into horrible slots week after week and then cancelling them for poor ratings.

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Trying to decide what to do with the OV based on attendance after making it a shadow of what it was is like the television networks moving shows into horrible slots week after week and then cancelling them for poor ratings.

You got all your thoughts out in a run on sentence...good for you!  Now we're into TV shows for an explanation for the OV's lack of dining options.  I can see where this will lead.  Maybe it's time for this thread to wind down?  How much more can be said?  😉

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, weregoingcruising said:

Suite Suite Suite Luminae Luminae Luminae   I'm beginning to see a pattern in  posts.

Do I hear some Jealousy? We sail only in suites on Celebrity and have been for years. The Retreat product is the ONLY thing that keeps us with Celebrity for now. However, some of the same complaints from non-suites spills over to the suites. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

From what's posted here, some want all their dinners in the OV, some want a 'place to dine' after a late  excursion, some don't go at all.  With a hit and miss like this, how can X provide a full menu for an undetermined number of diners?  IMO it's good the diners are being counted and the use is monitored.  Something beneficial for OV diners may come out of this with actual study.

From what's posted here some love the MDR and want to go as much as possible, some only go to specialty dining, some only go to OVC, some like to mix it up all cruise long with MDR/OVC/Specialty Dining. 

With a hit and miss like this, how can X provide a full menu for an undetermined number of diners in the MDR? 

This has me looking at lines I had thought I had gotten away from, like NCL, with their new food hall concept, and VV with similar. Maybe Celebrity is really catering to the traditionalists and I am misreading the room and I should take my money some other place.  Strange that they are going after the 3/4 day market now though on one ends of the spectrum if their format is for traditional cruising experience; they will fail horribly in that regard. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

However, some of the same complaints from non-suites spills over to the suites. 

That's because a cheaper cut of beef can never totally be masked with more expensive sauce. I understand your points

11 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

From what's posted here some love the MDR and want to go as much as possible, some only go to specialty dining, some only go to OVC, some like to mix it up all cruise long with MDR/OVC/Specialty Dining. 

With a hit and miss like this, how can X provide a full menu for an undetermined number of diners in the MDR? 

This has me looking at lines I had thought I had gotten away from, like NCL, with their new food hall concept, and VV with similar. Maybe Celebrity is really catering to the traditionalists and I am misreading the room and I should take my money some other place.  Strange that they are going after the 3/4 day market now though on one ends of the spectrum if their format is for traditional cruising experience; they will fail horribly in that regard. 

This is how I see it as well.  If you want to attract the next generation(s) of loyal cruisers, you have to adapt to a certain extent.  Based on what other lines are doing, there is plenty of room for a hybrid approach to keep traditionalist and non-traditionalists happy.  And this can be done with considering waste into the equation.  The industry has to continue to attract new cruisers to fill all these new, larger ships.  Going backwards isn't going to help Celebrity achieve this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weregoingcruising said:

I do wonder how many of the people entitled to dine in Luminae, ever go into the Ocean View Cafe of an evening...

• Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 9:18 AM, chamima said:

So Jim, with hints of charging for a second entree, do you think you might lose that option in the future?

We are not big eaters and usually have to insist that our waiter would only give us a single Entree and often order 1/2 entree instead.    For us It will have no effect whatsoever, but can understand whether others that enjoy large portion may be concerned.

I think the only time I ever ordered a second entree was in Blu and they had a Beyond Burger on the anytime menu.      I had never had one and told the waiter I probably wouldn't eat it but wanted to try it.     All I can say... It definitely was nothing like a hamburger and so happy I didn't order it as my main entree. 

When we dine in Tuscan we always order 1/2 of an entree and usually find it almost too much to eat.  While you can order multiple sides we usually jut have one of their fantastic soups an Entree and desert.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/12/2023 at 5:16 AM, WonderMan3 said:

Just scanned the Luminae menus for next week's Reflection cruise and while I did see your sirloin listed I also saw a New York Strip one night and yes the Filet Mignon but just not on the first night of the cruise as it has traditionally been in prior years. I also saw lobster on the menu one night. Maybe you missed some of these while dining in other venues? Or maybe they had supply chain issues and had to make some substitutions during your cruise? Either way it seems like they may be back on track.

My experience recently on Solstice was they do have the Filet, New York and Sirloin as well as Lobster.    The Filet and New York were good bu for Sirloin they served something round that looked like a roast beef but flavorless.  Maybe just my particular order.     I think it may be the same they are listing as Manhattan Steak in MDR.

Also noticed that one of the favorites in MDR (first night Prime Rib) was still on menu but later in the cruise.   Possibly the New York night in Lumina.