Oceanview Cafe dinner service being eliminated?

LMaxwell

5 minutes ago, harz99 said:

I do wonder how many of the people entitled to dine in Luminae, ever go into the Ocean View Cafe of an evening...

We’ve heard it a few times on here but it’s generally rare.  A bit less rare is folks who have dinner in Luminae but later on hit the buffet for a snack

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

think the only time I ever ordered a second entree

The only time I ever order a second entry is one the first one I ordered was not good. I neve had much of the first entry. Unfortunately that happened too often on Celebrity. I have had too desserts. I would order a dessert item plus ice cream.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jagoffee said:

I cannot figure out how to change to a cruise that I do not have booked.  
do you notice the same menu for the next upcoming cruise.

I find the AP menus are not accurate until close to the cruise date.  I know last November woukd not be relevant to your observations.  Let’s hope it is not true.

Under your cruise in teal -  Select a Different Cruise - Go to bottom after all your upcoming cruises and select Browse our Ships -    Select Ship then Cruise.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Good because at least in Luminae I believe they take that big chunk of fat out when they open the can of beans 🤪

Maybe they are British Baked Beans -- They don't have pork with their beans.   It is often a mainstay of may young and teens -   Beans on Toast or Pizza.  

Iain being British much prefers Heinz British Baked Beans.   

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Maybe they are British Baked Beans -- They don't have pork with their beans.   It is often a mainstay of may young and teens -   Beans on Toast or Pizza.  

Oh yes Heinz sells Pork Sausages with Beans in the UK.  Heinz is not the

Often amused me that in TV Soaps, set in England, the children/teens sit down to Beans on Toast for their evening meal.  In Scotland, JME, that is a rare evening meal.

However Beans on Wholemeal toast a far healthier breakfast than bacon and eggs.

27 minutes ago, harz99 said:

I do wonder how many of the people entitled to dine in Luminae, ever go into the Ocean View Cafe of an evening...

Just from my perspective.    In 23 years of cruising on Celebrity we only went to OV for dinner once.   That was because Iain wasn't feeling well and suggested I grab a bite there instead of going to a sit down dinner.  

I'm not saying this is Luminae, Luminae -   I believe it was when we all ate in the MDR before Blu and Luminae.   

On top of there the only time we ever had room service for Dinner was when we were in isolation for Covid and took us 3 hours to get dinner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Soo much better to make your own baked beans !

27 minutes ago, harz99 said:

We have done the OVC for dinner on occasions where we came back late or after long hot shore tours and not wanting to get dressed up in more than shorts for Luminae. I always enjoyed the Asian or the India food stations for a nice change of pace.

• Like 3

Presently on the Sky Princess.  Buffet food, all three meals, has been excellent. Plenty of options.

Was on Apex last January and Equinox in October and buffet was very good.

On Enchanted Princess and the buffet was not very good and service was terrible.

We move tomorrow to the Apex for a B2B and anxious about the buffet changes and will try to report. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

21 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Well if they are anything like the beans they serve with a full Irish breakfast in Ireland, they far surpass what we have here.  Perhaps it's just the coziness of eating by a fire in a B&B looking out at Dingle Bay but dang those beans taste so much better!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We have done the OVC for dinner on occasions where we came back late or after long hot shore tours and not wanting to get dressed up in more than shorts for Luminae. I always enjoyed the Asian or the India food stations for a nice change of pace.

The Asian stations always seem like a good idea but it always seems to bother me.  Perhaps too much sodium or MSG

9 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Well if they are anything like the beans they serve with a full Irish breakfast in Ireland, they far surpass what we have here.  Perhaps it's just the coziness of eating by a fire in a B&B looking out at Dingle Bay but dang those beans taste so much better!

Maybe a different brand but generally of a similar standard.  I prefer Branston myself.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

The Asian stations always seem like a good idea but it always seems to bother me.  Perhaps too much sodium or MSG

On my last Celebrity cruise pre-covid, they couldn't cook even a simple dal well and that is not hard.  On a Millie cruise, they served 'pakora' in OVC - awful.

37 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Oh well, on current reports you won't be enjoying those food options at Ocean View in the evening again...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I have asked and was told that they do not use any MSG, which also bothers me too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bonagrad said:

These comments make no sense!  What homework did I do?  I'm an extremely busy professional who took about 10 minutes to provide feedback and suggestions to Celebrity, because I and many others are not happy with this change.  If you're happy with the change, great, but no need to be critical.

As for the refrigerator comment, part of the cruise fare is various dining options, yes with variety.  That's the point of a buffet, not essentially a casual MDR.  We like the option of having a variety of healthy options in the OVC as opposed to two carrots or a stalk of broccoli on my plate in the MDR.  Some people actually like to create their own meal.  I'm not asking for a full return of the OVC, just something in the middle of full and what it is now.  The now literally have the worst buffet in the industry and that happened overnight.

🙄

37 minutes ago, anniegb said:

On my last Celebrity cruise pre-covid, they couldn't cook even a simple dal well and that is not hard.  On a Millie cruise, they served 'pakora' in OVC - awful.

I find the Dal is too watery for me, not helped by the staff adding random splashes of water when the pan starts to dry out on the warm plate...

16 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I don’t think anyone still uses MSG anymore 

Our son-in-law is so allergic to MSG that for him it can be life threatening. When they visit I have to read every label of anything I serve him as MSG is still in way to many things.

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

I think the reason why I hate pork and beans is as a kid my parents had very little money and too often we had canned baked beans with those canned Vienna sausages and I thought the whole dish was horrible. For the same reasons I will never eat SPAM.

Edited by terrydtx

23 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I don’t think anyone still uses MSG anymore 

I think MSG got a bad rap years ago.  The FDA considers it as Generally Regarded As Safe.  I understand that many people still avoid it and that's certainly fine with me.  Personally, I use it in savory dishes and find it enhances the flavor. ymmv

• Like 1