Tamarind suggestions?

3rdGenCunarder

I'm finally getting around to trying Tamarind (on Eurodam). It's going to be difficult to choose! So many things sound delicious. What are some favorite items from there? And does the Tamarind bar have a different drink menu with something different or special?

Here are the Tamarind special cocktails (courtesy Roger Jett https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/Tamarind-Bar.pdf). I can vouch for them all except the Far East Legacy (but only because I haven't tried it yet!) - 

COCKTAILS 11
SHISO SOUR
Bulleit bourbon, Bulleit rye, sauvignon
blanc, sour mix, fresh mango, sisho
leaves, dash Angostura Bitters
THE WASABI COCKTAIL
Momokawa Silver Sake, lychee liqueur,
sour mix, agave syrup, orange juice
CUCUMBER MOJITO
Zacapa 23 rum, agave syrup, fresh
lime, orange juice, cucumber
THE EMPERORS NECTAR
Mandarine Napoleon, apple juice,
cinnamon syrup, ginger beer, lemon juice
FAR EAST LEGACY
Absolut Mandarin, Moonstone Asian Pear
sake, St .Germaine, Cointreau, peach purée

They also have several different Sakes

Edited by Overhead Fred

Some one mentioned to us that the servers are no longer automatically bringing hot tea and prawn crackers (with dips) but you have to ask. Not sure if that is true but we asked for them when seated. Fav restaurant on HAL!

2 minutes ago, REOVA said:

Some one mentioned to us that the servers are no longer automatically bringing hot tea and prawn crackers (with dips) but you have to ask. Not sure if that is true but we asked for them when seated. Fav restaurant on HAL!

We got the crackers automatically, but tea was by request on Eurodam in December.  We didn't bother with the tea.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 2

The Shrimp Tempura was a hit at our table - we ordered a second one. The duck and steak main courses all got the thumbs up. The lobster was good, but not sure worth the upcharge since the portion wasn't that big. If you can handle spicy food, make sure you order the dishes at spice level above "medium". My "medium" to me was more like "mild".

3 hours ago, vicd1969 said:

The Shrimp Tempura was a hit at our table - we ordered a second one. The duck and steak main courses all got the thumbs up. The lobster was good, but not sure worth the upcharge since the portion wasn't that big. If you can handle spicy food, make sure you order the dishes at spice level above "medium". My "medium" to me was more like "mild".

Your "medium" to me would probably be "hot"!! The tempura and the duck are probably going to be my choices.

Thanks, everyone for the suggestions! 

I'm looking forward to our dinner at the Tamarind but my Wife is a very picky eater - no Asian or Seafood. Will they accommodate her by serving something from the everyday offerings that are served in the MDR?

9 minutes ago, Bick53 said:

I'm looking forward to our dinner at the Tamarind but my Wife is a very picky eater - no Asian or Seafood. Will they accommodate her by serving something from the everyday offerings that are served in the MDR?

I doubt it... it's a specialty Asian restaurant with it's own kitchen and doesn't have access to the MDR foods. Maybe you could ask for the Wasabi steak without the sauce or something like that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bick53 said:

If she likes filet mignon, she can get that without the wasabi in Tamarind. 
However, there isn't too much else for a 'picky' eater, including much in the way of side dishes, unless she also likes rice, for example. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Bick53 said:

my Wife is a very picky eater - no Asian or Seafood

Would she be willing to try the Sweet & Sour Vegetable Tempura? That's what I order since I don't care for Asian or Seafood. (DH loves the Tamarind and it's included in our 2-week cruises.)

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/Tamarind-2022.pdf

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

However, there isn't too much else for a 'picky' eater, including much in the way of side dishes, unless she also likes rice, for example. 

Unfortunately - I love the Food in the Tamarin and it is one of the Specialty Dinners in our HIA Package.  It may be a two dinner location meal night. 🤣

12 hours ago, Radbooks said:

I doubt it... it's a specialty Asian restaurant with it's own kitchen and doesn't have access to the MDR foods. Maybe you could ask for the Wasabi steak without the sauce or something like that.

Good suggestion!  Get the sauce on the side

12 hours ago, RuthC said:

The appetizers may pose a dilemma for his wife as well.

Question about reservations.  We hope to try Tamarind, and were hoping to use shipboard credit, but have learned that we must be onboard to use that.  Are there usually reservations still available if we wait?  We depart January 14th on the Nieuw Statendam.

Thanks!

Be sure to try the Wasabi cocktail.  We often go to their bar to have that even if we aren’t dining there.  I’m a picky eater but I love the Szechuan shrimp and the wasabi crusted tenderloin.  I have a little more trouble with the starters but I’m willing to try them each time.  It’s my husband’s favorite restaurant.  Service is always excellent. 

14 hours ago, Bick53 said:

I don’t eat seafood. They will substitute chicken for shrimp in the Szechuan shrimp entree.  It’s very good.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I don’t eat seafood. They will substitute chicken for shrimp in the Szechuan shrimp entree.  It’s very good.

Thank you for posting this!  I also don't eat seafood generally (don't like most of it).  Friends rave about the szechuan shrimp and I'd love to try it as a chicken dish instead of shrimp.  Bonefish Grill serves "bang bang shrimp" which I'm able to get as bang bang chicken (and it's wonderful) but I never thought to inquire about a chicken substitution at Tamarind.  

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Any reviews on the cucumber mojito? It sounds close to the honeysuckle daiquiri that I love on Cunard. Rum and lime is always a good start. 🍹

Omigod - this was our new favorite cocktail ever!  I never knew I'd like a mojito, but this one was delicious and refreshing.  Tamarind Bar will be our "hang out" spot on future cruises!

Sue/WDW1972