Is High Tea Served?

23 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

RC never had "high tea".  Princess does, and HAL does, as you experienced.  

Years ago Royal offered scones, cream and jam at 3pm in the Windjammer as a do it yourself afternoon tea. 

Princess serves afternoon tea, not high tea.

Don't know about Holland but doubt they serve high tea.  Probably afternoon tea as well.

Very nice relaxing afternoon break.  Makes me feel  upper crust.  😆 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, joeyancho said:

Years ago Royal offered scones, cream and jam at 3pm in the Windjammer as a do it yourself afternoon tea. 

Princess serves afternoon tea, not high tea.

Don't know about Holland but doubt they serve high tea.  Probably afternoon tea as well.

Very nice relaxing afternoon break.  Makes me feel  upper crust.  😆 

I don't consider that "high tea".  I call that "snacks in the WJ".  🙂 

• Haha 5

Interesting discussion that caused me to look up "afternoon tea" and "high tea"

I recalled that Princess served "afternoon tea" daily in the MDR, complimentary.

When they rolled out their Royal class ships with the taller, larger atriums at first their was the complimentary afternoon tea AND an upgraded -- what I thought was "high tea" in the atrium with white glove service.  But since they weren't serving a more wholesome meal of meat, potatoes and vegetables,-- according to the definition I found-- it was NOT "high tea"

• Like 1

@LVinTennesseeI know that you are referring to afternoon tea that includes small sandwiches, scones with clotted cream and jam and small pastries. Princess has done a good job with their afternoon tea presentations. Cunard has/ had a lovely presentation that is most enjoyable as I recall.

As others have posted here - High tea was traditionally eaten by workers when they returned home after their jobs. It consisted of hot,savory dishes such as cheese toast to satisfy hearty appetites after a hard day’s work.

If RCCL doesn’t offer an afternoon tea, you could keep the tradition by enjoying some sweets with tea in the buffet or ordering cookies and tea from room service. Not quite the same presentation, but it could be a tasty break before dinner time.

MJ🙋🏻

4 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Carnival used to do this too.   Tea steeped in tea pots. small sammies, petit fours, etc.  Then they went to tea bags and pastries.   Not sure they even do that anymore.

Sailed on Celebration in November. Afternoon tea was served a few times on sea days….it certainly wasn’t like Harrod’s Afternoon tea..🤣…but it was an enjoyable gathering with friends to eat scones, desserts and drink tea. Tea was a pot of hot water and tea bags….we brought our own.  Tea bags were offered but not a great selection..maybe one or two varieties.

Try Viking...which does a very nice tea every afternoon between 3 and 5 in their lovely Wintergarden on their ocean ships. Three-tiered trays with crustless finger sandwiches, macaroons and other miniature pastries, and warm scones with clotted cream and jam. Passengers can select from a huge tea menu, or order Champagne, wine and other spirits for an extra fee. Usually a solo entertainer plays during tea. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, gkbiiii said:

Didn't Celebrity used to have High Tea & a Formal Brunch at Sea? 

I remember the tea but not sure if it was afternoon tea or High team.  

Do not remember a formal brunch but that may have been before our time. 

On Beyond last week we had tea and scones in the Retreat at 3:30 in the afternoon everyday 

(Also small sandwiches and other nibbles)

So yes Celebrity do High T at 3:30 on Beyond

Not a very good photo but at least proof scones at sea are alive and kicking

And they were yummy 

00336945-98D3-4E61-B48E-4316C7F3898D.jpeg

Edited by PompeySailor

On 1/10/2023 at 9:13 PM, LVinTennessee said:

My daughter and I enjoyed high tea being served daily in the MDR on our Alaskan cruise on Holland. I can’t remember if it’s offered on RC. We’ll be on MOS in May 2023. 

Royal use to have Tea Time on all Ships but that was 25+ yrs ago

Edited by ONECRUISER