Does the MDR still have a dress code?

NMTraveller

1 hour ago, CruisinShips said:

I am not sure what I am missing here.

I think what you are missing is that for some (most?) people, one's surroundings play a major part in setting the ambiance of  an experience.  Being surrounded by well-dressed people in an elegant surrounding feels different than being surrounded by people wearing jeans and shorts in an elegant surrounding..... at least to some people.  To others... ambiance may not be very important or perhaps ambiance is more dependent of comfort than appearance?  There's no right or wrong here - it's subjective.

Take for example attending live theater.  Years ago people dressed up when attending the theater, today not so much (if at all).  The quality of the production may remain unchanged, but for some of us the experience just doesn't feel as special.  On the other hand, there are many who would hate having to dress up to attend and for them it would actually worsen the experience.

In short, perhaps what you are missing is an appreciation that different people value different things?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sun bum said:

When entering a Celebrity's MDR, the atmosphere is classic, elegant, and upscale. The staff is dressed to impress. As well as the food and service. Save your shorts for McDonalds. Better yet, READ the dress code for a cruise line before booking. Maybe Celebrity does not fit into your wardrobe.

People have called to complain about reduced dinner service in the Oceanview Cafe where shorts are allowed and were told they can wear shorts in the MDR. That is what this thread is about. Do you think Celebrity reps would give out BS ? Would not surprise me but maybe they were telling what will be a new policy. So will you be booking with another cruise line if shorts are allowed in the MDR? I think your reply was condescending. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Keys Kathy said:

We were on the Millie on Jan 3rd. There was still a dress code in the MDR. The sign was still there. Men need to put on their big boy pants and get over it. What woud your Grandmother say?

Since you asked...

My catholic grandmother from Jersey would say that you need to chill! 

Patty 

Edited by cw2go
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Keys Kathy said:

We were on the Millie on Jan 3rd. There was still a dress code in the MDR. The sign was still there. Men need to put on their big boy pants and get over it. What woud your Grandmother say?

Excuse me, but why are men the only ones responsible for upholding some anachronistic dress code? I see lots of women wearing mini skirts or less showing up for dinner looking like streetwalkers and that’s somehow acceptable? But yes, by all means, let’s enforce the men wearing long pants because their bare calves might offend some people. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TheHawk1 said:

Excuse me, but why are men the only ones responsible for upholding some anachronistic dress code? I see lots of women wearing mini skirts or less showing up for dinner looking like streetwalkers and that’s somehow acceptable? But yes, by all means, let’s enforce the men wearing long pants because their bare calves might offend some people. 

I agree! We were on a Princess Ship in Brazil and these "ladies" showed up showing their Huchi Kuchi's.... on Formal night. The Matre D said "There are Brazilian." Yes, I was uncomfortable with DH looking at all that skin. It certainly put a pall on my dinner which the waiter really tried to make up. 

FYI, I have not booked Princess again

This is exactly to the point. Follow the rules.

• Haha 3

Hallelujah- The short wearers finally found a loophole to get into the dining room. They cut the buffet offerings down so now we must enter the dining room . 

“We Had No Say In This, Blame It On The Cruise Line” talk about BS

Edited by Wakepatrol
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Keys Kathy said:

I agree! We were on a Princess Ship in Brazil and these "ladies" showed up showing their Huchi Kuchi's.... on Formal night. The Matre D said "There are Brazilian." Yes, I was uncomfortable with DH looking at all that skin. It certainly put a pall on my dinner which the waiter really tried to make up. 

Why is your culture superior?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Keys Kathy said:

Looking forward to our Princess cruise. 😁

• Haha 6

Isn't it a little much to expect other passengers to be supporting cast in a Fantasy Island remake? Fantasies are highly subjective, anyway.

The taste of my food doesn't depend on what others are wearing. My eyes should be focused on my plate, anyway. But no worries - I don't generally wear shorts in the MDR or anywhere else, unless swimming, and those are trunks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

"We dine first with our eyes"?  Isn't a beautifully plated and presented meal served on fine china more appealing than a sloppy pile of food on a paper plate? 

Forget about type of clothes, that doesn't have that much effect.

There should be a dining room for all the hot young skinny people, the ones that look like the brochures,

and then a dining room for all the rest of us ogres.

Edited by UnorigionalName
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm trying to understand why it's somehow the fault of women who were from the description fully compliant with the dress requirements that someone's husband was distracted? It's 2023, not 1845, isn't it? I don't believe we're living in Victorian England! 

I don't know what rule was being broken in the example...

• Like 6

7 hours ago, sun bum said:

When entering a Celebrity's MDR, the atmosphere is classic, elegant, and upscale. The staff is dressed to impress. As well as the food and service. Save your shorts for McDonalds. Better yet, READ the dress code for a cruise line before booking. Maybe Celebrity does not fit into your wardrobe.

"As well as the food and service"...That remains to be seen!!

2 hours ago, Keys Kathy said:

Sound's like a Great Dinner for me, ..."Waiter I am a solo... Can i be seated with the group from Brazil!!"

• Like 1

I love dressing up for a fancy meal, but if I pack a gown, and get to choose between Tilapia and Pork&Beans I'm going to feel a little silly wearing it. Fingers crossed the Veuve dinner is on my ship so there's still a reason to dress up.

Edited by PineappleTraveler
Spelling
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, PineappleTraveler said:

I love dressing up for a fancy meal, but if I pack a gown, and get to choose between Tilapia and Pork&Beans I'm going to feel a little silly wearing it

You win Cruise Critic today. It’s not even close. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Keys Kathy said:

I was uncomfortable with DH looking at all that skin.  Does your DH have to wear a blindfold when you take him to the beach?

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, markeb said:

I'm trying to understand why it's somehow the fault of women who were from the description fully compliant with the dress requirements that someone's husband was distracted? It's 2023, not 1845, isn't it? I don't believe we're living in Victorian England! 

I don't know what rule was being broken in the example...

Her husband broke her rule and looked so it is Princess's fault. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Wakepatrol said:

Hallelujah- The short wearers finally found a loophole to get into the dining room. They cut the buffet offerings down so now we must enter the dining room . 

“We Had No Say In This, Blame It On The Cruise Line” talk about BS

I mean, I wore shorts each night I went to the MDR on equinox last summer; half the nights mdr and half buffet. Didn't even bring pants with me that trip. I didn't need any loophole. People only care on forums... This is like fantasy debate club. It's not a thing in real life.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mnocket said:

I think what you are missing is that for some (most?) people, one's surroundings play a major part in setting the ambiance of  an experience.  Being surrounded by well-dressed people in an elegant surrounding feels different than being surrounded by people wearing jeans and shorts in an elegant surrounding..... at least to some people.  To others... ambiance may not be very important or perhaps ambiance is more dependent of comfort than appearance?  There's no right or wrong here - it's subjective.

Take for example attending live theater.  Years ago people dressed up when attending the theater, today not so much (if at all).  The quality of the production may remain unchanged, but for some of us the experience just doesn't feel as special.  On the other hand, there are many who would hate having to dress up to attend and for them it would actually worsen the experience.

In short, perhaps what you are missing is an appreciation that different people value different things?

IMO the "surroundings" and ambiance are more about the decor of the restaurant and the server, not the wardrobe choices of fellow diners.  Some may not like it, but the world has gotten more casual.  For good or for bad....some like it, some don't.  But regardless, there is no putting the toothpaste back in that tube.

I get your dislike of it, and I understand it.  I am old enough to remember when people got dressed up to fly on an airplane.  Times have changed, and cruising on most cruise lines has changed along with it.

Edited by CruisinShips
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, Keys Kathy said:

Do you have any pictures of those women so we can see for ourselves just how inappropriate they were? 😉 

On 1/11/2023 at 3:12 PM, Keys Kathy said:

There were guidelines last week on the Millie. Seriously, do shorts belong in a dining room at dinner? You are not at home. What would you wear to a nice restaurant?

In good weather, nice smart shorts 👍

• Like 3