Round trip Los Angeles to Hawaii

Just2guys

We have been on several cruises but never on Viking --- nor a cruise itinerary with so many sea days all in a row.  We think Viking might be a good fit for us and would like to see Hawaii and feel a cruise of this nature is the best way, for us at least, to do so.

Can anyone tell us what to expect on all these sea days in the way of activities, enrichment lectures, etc?  A copy of a daily activity sheet would also be appreciated if anyone has one handy. 

Also, is Viking's policy always to require final payment  so far ahead of the cruise --- in this case a full 18 months before the sail date.

Thanks for any information that could be provided.

32 minutes ago, Just2guys said:

We have been on several cruises but never on Viking --- nor a cruise itinerary with so many sea days all in a row.  We think Viking might be a good fit for us and would like to see Hawaii and feel a cruise of this nature is the best way, for us at least, to do so.

Can anyone tell us what to expect on all these sea days in the way of activities, enrichment lectures, etc?  A copy of a daily activity sheet would also be appreciated if anyone has one handy. 

Also, is Viking's policy always to require final payment  so far ahead of the cruise --- in this case a full 18 months before the sail date.

Thanks for any information that could be provided.

We are doing this cruise in Feb. 2024.  Having done a world cruise with Viking, five days at sea doesn’t bother us at all, in fact one of the reasons I booked this was because of all the sea days.  Viking is great at enrichment lectures, and always has lots of activities to keep you busy.  I took art classes, bridge lessons, my husband did photography classes.  And then there is the food—always some nice buffets on sea days.  And the spa!   And no shopping, cooking, cleaning.  Just pampering.  
As for payment, 18 months seems a lot, I thought the usual was a year.  Have you asked them about reducing it.  But once you have a cruise booked, you can book another with six months final payment.  So, I’d say go for it!  I bet you will enjoy it.  

• Like 1

Welcome to Viking!

This isn’t exactly your cruise but here is a link to a “Live From” thread that was French Polynesia roundtrip from Los Angeles. I believe it was originally scheduled to include Hawaii but didn’t due to Covid restrictions. But may give you an idea about shipboard activities.

We did a Vancouver-Hawaii roundtrip cruise in October 2022 on HAL and enjoyed it but missed the enrichment, better food, and smaller passenger capacity that we have come to love about Viking. 

This was my first visit to Hawaii and frankly wasn’t that excited about it, but really enjoyed it.  However, it (like most cruises) gave me just a taste and I hope we go back someday for a longer stay on just one or two islands. 

If you want to see what we did while in Hawaii, we posted pretty intensively on Instagram where we are @ClaynMike. 

12 months final payment  is what I would ask for since that seems to be the Viking minimum (unless you have a cruise booked). To get the biggest bang for your Buck, you should find someone who has cruised with them before to refer you (that is worth $100pp off your fare.). Additionally, I always suggest finding a travel agent who provides the maximum allowable kickback of their commisson. This is $150pp for a cruise up to 7 nights, $300pp for cruises of 8-14 nights, and $500pp for cruises of 15 nights or more. This is enough to cover the daily service charge and leave a little bit for the bar bill. 

As new Viking cruisers, if you haven’t already discovered it, this thread provides lots of tips and advice to make the most of your time onboard:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2416372-tips-for-new-viking-ocean-cruisers/page/62/#comment-62141739

• Like 1

Re the final payment, we are on a transatlantic Cruise from Buenos Aires in March and our final payment was done in December. Our next Viking Cruise is in June and our payment date is 20th March so no need to pay until three monthe prior to departure date.

Edited by ARDXXX
mis spelling

1 hour ago, ARDXXX said:

Re the final payment, we are on a transatlantic Cruise from Buenos Aires in March and our final payment was done in December. Our next Viking Cruise is in June and our payment date is 20th March so no need to pay until three monthe prior to departure date.

I assume you’re booked through Viking UK or Australia - not USA or Canada.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

Took a TA on Sea Dec. 3, 2021.  6 sea days.

Look for my "Live From", that date on this CC Viking Ocean board.

I posted the dailies.  We thoroughly enjoyed the sea days, as well as the entire voyage.

Hmm...  we were also on the Viking Sea Transatlantic Nov 29-Dec 13, 2021.   Barcelona-San Juan.   Dec 3, 2021 the Sea was in Gibraltar (as Casablanca had been cancelled).  We also had 6 sea days that we thoroughly enjoyed!   There have been many posts on the trips from LA to Hawaii as well.  

We are doing that cruise in the future too.

edited:  I realize you probably meant "2022" 🙂

Edited by CCWineLover

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Hmm...  we were also on the Viking Sea Transatlantic Nov 29-Dec 13, 2021.   Barcelona-San Juan.   Dec 3, 2021 the Sea was in Gibraltar (as Casablanca had been cancelled).  We also had 6 sea days that we thoroughly enjoyed!   There have been many posts on the trips from LA to Hawaii as well.  

We are doing that cruise in the future too.

edited:  I realize you probably meant "2022" 🙂

Yes, 2022.  Thanks for correction.

We did Hawaii from San Pedro in 2018.  The sea days were very relaxing and enjoyable even the day we had 35 foot seas which we hit head on.  The water wasn’t that rough given the long fetch.  The worst part of the trip is the required stop in Ensenada 

• 4 weeks later...

I have booked Hawaiian Sojourn for December 12, 2023.  My question concerns driving to the LA Cruise Port, and parking.  It appears Viking uses Pier 93 (?).  I know parking is available for $$.  First question; do I need a reservation for parking?  Second question; are there multiple parking lots for the various pier areas?  I’d rather be confused now and not as I arrive.  Any help appreciated.

Mike 

1 hour ago, wildcat68 said:

I have booked Hawaiian Sojourn for December 12, 2023.  My question concerns driving to the LA Cruise Port, and parking.  It appears Viking uses Pier 93 (?).  I know parking is available for $$.  First question; do I need a reservation for parking?  Second question; are there multiple parking lots for the various pier areas?  I’d rather be confused now and not as I arrive.  Any help appreciated.

Mike 

We are thinking of booking this cruise. Have done Hawaiian cruise 3 times but not on Viking.

we have parked at the pier each time.  No reservations are required. Cost is approx $16-$18 per day. There are no other parking lots.  If you stay at one of the hotels, they do have stay and park packages but they cost more then the pkg at the pier.

Thanks Ebtrip.  It’s kind of a funny situation.  We will commence travel from Apache Junction, AZ.  To fly is approximately the same cost as driving with parking and overnight the night before.  I’m a little gun shy after the airport issues this December.  Even if Viking is arranging flights, the complete meltdown was almost a perfect storm.

Since you have done several of these itineraries do you have any information about seas and temperatures crossing?  We’ve done several transatlantic trips but not transpacific and not sure what to expect.  I realize the Pacific will do what it wants to do, but generally speaking, is this a turbulent time period?  

17 hours ago, wildcat68 said:

Mike 

Check out the Doubletree by Hilton in San Pedro.  They sometimes have available Breakfast, Park and Cruise specials for pre-cruise stays.   If you Google map “Los Angeles Cruise Terminal Berth 93“ you can see the large parking lot for two cruise ship berths.

21 minutes ago, wildcat68 said:

Thanks Ebtrip.  It’s kind of a funny situation.  We will commence travel from Apache Junction, AZ.  To fly is approximately the same cost as driving with parking and overnight the night before.  I’m a little gun shy after the airport issues this December.  Even if Viking is arranging flights, the complete meltdown was almost a perfect storm.

Since you have done several of these itineraries do you have any information about seas and temperatures crossing?  We’ve done several transatlantic trips but not transpacific and not sure what to expect.  I realize the Pacific will do what it wants to do, but generally speaking, is this a turbulent time period?  

Hi Wildcat68,

we leave on the Viking Sea on March 15, our 2nd Transatlantic. we have been lucky in our crossings.  Usually whatever Los Angeles weather is that’s what you will have for the first day at sea.  We’ve had calm sailings, but it can be rough the first couple of days.  By day 4 it starts to warm up.  We have done the sailings in Oct, December, and January, each time we had calm seas.  I would take the chance to fly. I don’t think you would have a problem out of Phx.

1 hour ago, wildcat68 said:

You might want to research parking at a monthly rate in a structure elsewhere in San Pedro or Long Beach and take a cab or Uber to the ship.  It might be cheaper.

We did roundtrip to Hawaii in November 2018 and one day had 35 foot seas  but we hit them head on and thus it was gentle up and down.  Remember that the Pacific is big and deep allowing for a long fetch.  The seas might be big but not steep like in the North Sea or Med where smaller seas are much more uncomfortable

We live in the PHX area and if the cruise from LA or San Diego is a week we drive our car and do one of the hotels parking included promos.  Over a week we book a rental car one way each way.  Last one way from LA port to our house was $143.00.  Cheaper by far than two or three weeks parking.  Also we got our go home rental the night before as we docked the day before disembarkation.  We were first off the ship and were home at about the time our included flight was due to leave LAX.  Just one more option.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, wildcat68 said:

Mike 

Viking can be assigned either one of the World Cruise Centre berths (92 or 93), or berth 46 in the outer harbour. You can check the port's website a few months ahead to determine if a berth has been assigned.

Thanks to all for the great advice.  I did make a reservation at the Double Tree by Hilton.  If we leave reasonably early we should have decent traffic going to the port and then the hotel and parking about the same as just parking at the terminal.  I did check and the Ship is scheduled for berth 93. I’ll continue to check on n Jim’s suggestion with rental cars.

A lot of good information available here.  Thanks again 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2023 at 2:16 PM, wildcat68 said:

Mike 

The pier parking is $20/day. Very convenient. 
There is also a park and stay hotel (Doubletree San Pedro) there that lets you leave your car as long as the trip without any restrictions as far as time. We stayed there the night before our 33 day Los Angeles to French Polynesia and back cruise last year. No problem leaving the car for the length of time.