Is The Key going bye-bye?

schmeed

48 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

That is a lot of money per person per day.  

$1008.00, based on the price today in our cruise planner for Navigator at $35.99 pp pd ,  for a family of four on a 7 night cruise. But look at what you get. Priority access to terminal check in, although they no longer check on your checkin time. Drop off your carryon bag to be delivered to your cabin, even though you can go directly to your cabin after 1:30. A half ass Chop's lunch. Private time for flowrider and rock wall, a one hour session with all key members. You get to sit with D+ and Pinnacles in their private section, a section that is open to everyone ten minutes before show time.  Voom and Surf included would save $16.00 pp pd. Not worth it...

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

$1008.00, based on the price today in our cruise planner for Navigator at $35.99 pp pd ,  for a family of four on a 7 night cruise. But look at what you get. Priority access to terminal check in, although they no longer check on your checkin time. Drop off your carryon bag to be delivered to your cabin, even though you can go directly to your cabin after 1:30. A half ass Chop's lunch. Private time for flowrider and rock wall, a one hour session with all key members. You get to sit with D+ and Pinnacles in their private section, a section that is open to everyone ten minutes before show time.  Voom and Surf included would save $16.00 pp pd. Not worth it...

Agreed. Not worth it. 

• Like 4

While I've never though the Key was worth the price.  I don't think just renaming it will do anything to entice the informed RCCL consumer.  However, if they try to entice people by adding more and more perks, the Star Cruisers my start to think that the Star is not worth it anymore, might as well just go Key/VIP.  Maybe they'll throw in, instead of a Genie, a Gnome or Gremlin or Elf.  

This is my opinion and feelings.  You don't have to feel the same way.

7 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Because they are sold out or not available at all?  I know you may not have that Info.

Sorry - don’t know.  Had not thought of that.  I have been on the “planning” site for each trip in the last few months.  But the Key is never something I am looking for.  Don’t see the value in it.  Katherine 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, schmeed said:

Is The Key being discontinued?

It really comes down to how much value the program is bringing to RCL's bottom line. If it's not profitable, it's going away. As someone who used it while solo cruising, I found the Key to really help set a positive start and tone to my vacation (I was #2 on the ship, and was able to easily meet new people at lunch right away) and would strongly consider getting it again.

Two thoughts: 

- The term VIP Pass is more descriptive than the rather generic term The Key, and it might entice people to buy.   A whole lot of people have a desire for status and feel they "must" buy something upgraded to enjoy their cruise. 

- If the category is now VIP Passes, emphasis on that "es" at the end, perhaps they're about to add multiple types of "Key" experiences at multiple price points.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ret MP said:

While I've never though the Key was worth the price.  I don't think just renaming it will do anything to entice the informed RCCL consumer.  However, if they try to entice people by adding more and more perks, the Star Cruisers my start to think that the Star is not worth it anymore, might as well just go Key/VIP.  Maybe they'll throw in, instead of a Genie, a Gnome or Gremlin or Elf.  

This is my opinion and feelings.  You don't have to feel the same way.

I'd consider paying more to have a gnome or an elf.

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I'd consider paying more to have a gnome or an elf.

I could see doing an elf at or near Christmas.  I feel like a July elf would be awkward.

Then again an elf might not be available at or near Christmas.  Or Royal might charge 10 x the price for a Christmas elf, plus 18% gratuity.    

Gnome seems safer.  

• Haha 3