New breakfast Menu in Luminae

miched

2 hours ago, SusieAV8R said:

Must confess, I agree with your description 😞 

1 hour ago, dcbiker97 said:

That's way more sausage than I ever got. I always made it a point to get the dish once per cruise to see if they had finally made it as they should. The biscuits were always these sweet hockey pucks with some sort of white liquid and chopped up sausage links. It always was amusing for me at least.

Our server told that  they we English style and not the southern style that we are use to in the USA.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

2 minutes ago, miched said:

Our server told that  they we English style and not the southern style that we are use to in the USA.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I grew up more or less in the South. Never really cared for biscuits and gravy. I have NEVER had or seen any form of biscuits and gravy in the UK. Don’t know what your server was smoking…

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

Just looked at our sailing on Millennium for April and it's still the standard menu with the normal items, including the Huevos Ranchero's.

I was born and raised in Alabama and what I was served when I ordered biscuits and gravy in Luminae was an offense to the meals name. 

The Biscuits and Gravy look terrible.  My Grandmother in Tennessee use to make the best home made biscuits and gravy and definitely never looked anything like that.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, miched said:

We did the Chefs Market Tour.    During dinner the chef asked if there were any question.  I asked why are the same dishes prepared different from cruise to cruise and ship to ship and presented different.  He said it is impossible as they have to follow the recipe and instructions.    There was no sense arguing with him but I have experienced it as not true.  I don’t know why but the other guests agreed with him 🤷‍♂️.  

It is the same at the bars.  The BTs may use the same ingredients but the drinks will be different.  

Years  ago I bought an electronic dictionary and thesaurus that also had a calculator built in all on one side with one screen plus some word games.  My wife like it and wanted one.   I bought her the same model but it was different.     There was the dictionary and thesaurus on one side and on the back side was a calculator with another screen and key pads.  It was as described but probably made by a different company and made according to their  interpretation.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

It's really weird how this happens.  I am the cook in the family, but when injured I have tried walking my non cooking wife through the process verbally while watching her prep.  I can order the same ingredients, talk her through step by step monitor the amounts she uses and for some odd reason it still doesn't taste exactly like mine.  

2 hours ago, miched said:

We did the Chefs Market Tour.    During dinner the chef asked if there were any question.  I asked why are the same dishes prepared different from cruise to cruise and ship to ship and presented different.  He said it is impossible as they have to follow the recipe and instructions.    There was no sense arguing with him but I have experienced it as not true.  I don’t know why but the other guests agreed with him 🤷‍♂️.  

I just love the chef's response!!.  One of the other recipes which really varied dramatically was the coconut cake which was served in the Cafe al Bacio.  This three layer cake was so different from ship to ship it was stunning.  The cake was always tasty but on some ships it was simply incredible.  Absolutely spectacular on some ships with a strong coconut flavor and coconut flakes in the cake batter.  On other ships the flavor was rather mild and no coconut flakes in the batter.

I also would not have argued the point but my experience is that the recipes certainly can have an "interpretation" which the food and beverage folks in Miami might find surprising.

5 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

I also would not have argued the point but my experience is that the recipes certainly can have an "interpretation" which the food and beverage folks in Miami might find surprising.

Might it also be that Royal/Celebrity use different suppliers for mixes, commissary items, etc. depending on the home port?  For example, we've seen the use of Gordon Food Service products on a sailing from FLL.  On the same sailing, we observed crates of bags of frozen french fries (the ones that fry up with a yellow shade, coated to crisp up) that are not able to be purchased in the U.S., which can be stored for a long time in a commercial freezer.

• Thanks 1

Another 👎 on the Huevos Rancheros. And biscuits and gravy. 

Don’t expect a global international staff cooking in Luminae to know the ins n outs of Mexican/Hispanic or American Deep South southern cooking.

Period. 

• Like 2

Here is an example of interpretation. 

My wife watches those daytime talk shows.   Rachel Ray was on and her husband was making a drink that had some dried blood orange slices in it.  He said they are easy to make.  Slice some oranges and put them in a low oven.  That was all he said.    I was walking thru the room when he said that.  I said to my wife “ I wonder why the height of the oven makes a difference?”   She said you know what they mean.  

I then laughed and told her about all of the comedy skits in movies and on TV  that showed people making something by following the instructions,  Our Gang Comedy, Lucy, Laural and Hardy, Marx Brothers, and etc.   Whip or beat the  milk or butter,  throw  or toss in,  separate the eggs,  set aside, and etc.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

This was the Luminae breakfast menu on the Beyond in October/November '22.

It seemed the Beyond Luminae menu was slightly different from other ships.  The dinner menu had slight changes for sure.  

I remember reading months ago that Celebrity wanted some different dining options across ships...certain ships had certain dishes. 

🍹

Screenshot_20230204_023000_Gallery.jpg.7755fb517f5d9f659e52176635091efc.jpg

Screenshot_20230204_023003_Gallery.jpg.d4ae5066e6b5e9243b7e5daf2d5d6b52.jpg

• Thanks 1

I will miss the eggs florentine. That was a favorite of mine, but I suppose I was one of the few. My pants may enjoy the break, though. 

On 1/27/2023 at 10:12 PM, miched said:

If they were English style biscuits, wouldn't they be cookies & gravy? 

5 hours ago, DCPIV said:

I will miss the eggs florentine. That was a favorite of mine, but I suppose I was one of the few. My pants may enjoy the break, though. 

The same server told us that many passengers from England would ask why they put gravy on he biscuits (cookies)?   The biscuits they served were almost like a cookie.   

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

On 1/27/2023 at 2:48 PM, miched said:

I was looking on Xs app for our Beyond Cruise.  There is a new menu for breakfast.    There isn’t the  egg rancheros,  parfaits with muesli, or granola.   It looks rather interesting and refreshing with some new stuff.    The eggs Benedict is limited to one choice, no hash brown potatoes, and there is no ham on the meat sides as there use to be.   I think they know better to eliminate the  bacon 😱.   I may have missed some stuff but if I did I guess what I don’t know about I won’t miss, not that I am disappointed with the stuff that was changed or eliminated.  Just don’t mess with the bacon. 

Don’t know how accurate the app is but it will be nice to have something different than what the menu was for years.   If I don’t have enough variety there I can always go to the buffet,  spa cafe, eden cafe, elite breakfast, or Cafe al Bacio.    I doubt that there won’t be something that doesn’t help to  start off another fantastic day on a cruise.  If all else fails the old stand by liquid diet  of orange juice, or tomato juice with vodka, or tequila or other variations will work along with some liquid bread as the monks would refer to beer.  🍺🤗

Life is great.   

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

C4751FA2-91CD-4D33-AF09-D6DF284CB958.png

7BAC4F6C-326A-432C-9CA2-3CFDCFFC1DE1.png

8B6421B9-C571-4BD6-B2F2-9381B9E20024.png

A23AEEF8-A78B-4D06-8575-0CDE06462310.png

Had muesli, a parfait and granola this serky

On 1/28/2023 at 8:58 PM, BEAV said:

Another 👎 on the Huevos Rancheros. And biscuits and gravy. 

Don’t expect a global international staff cooking in Luminae to know the ins n outs of Mexican/Hispanic or American Deep South southern cooking.

Period. 

Huevos Rancheros on eclipse this week 

On 2/4/2023 at 6:16 PM, DCPIV said:

It is a complete oxymoron, there is no such thing as biscuits & gravy 'English style' ...

To translate properly that would be scones and gravy, and yes, we do use them in savoury cooking such as beef cobbler for example, but never just with the gravy.

Full marks to the staff for coming up with an excuse, but no basis in reality.

I've spent too much time in Texas over the last 15 years to even think about ordering something like that on a cruise ship, doomed from the outset...

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Mark_T said:

I've spent too much time in Texas over the last 15 years to even think about ordering something like that on a cruise ship, doomed from the outset...

Great post.  And true.  😁

• Like 1

On 1/27/2023 at 10:12 PM, miched said:

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I ordered them once and said never again. The “rocks” were covered in a wine reduction brownish dinner gravy. Not what I had in mind for breakfast 🤮