New Crystal - the Good, the Bad and the Indifferent

claudiaYVR

Some of us have cruised Oceania and most recently Regent. 

On Oceania, you need to show you card constantly even to dine.

On Regent, they had many substandard interactions with crew. We even had to report our cabin number to be seating in Compass Rose.

One both lines above, there was either nothing to do (literally).  No music, enrichment - NOTHING.

Crystal always had multiple choices of music, dance, lectures, art....at any time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, History&Wine said:

How difficult is it to update an itinerary?  The Crystal website has had this description for many months in regard to the May 14 to May 25 Serenity cruise:

"A true Mediterranean immersion, this voyage starts in Athens and travels to an incredible array of islands and cities alike. Heading south, the first stop is the ancient walled town of Monemvasia. Next is the Island nation of Malta, followed by a tour of Italy's boot, visiting Palermo, Naples, and Civitavecchia, close to Rome. Glitzy Saint Tropez follows Ajaccio before disembarking in the heart of pretty Provence, La Seyne-sur-Mer."

Note the promise of "the island nation of Malta"...indeed the photo in the "photo view" for this cruise is the iconic photo from Malta.  Yet Malta is no where to be found on the day by day itinerary....

Our Serenity TA description mentioned transiting Prinz Christian Sund but this wasn’t in our itinerary. I think the people who wrote the description and those who compiled the itinerary were different. I was sad not to see the sound again but it wasn’t a deal breaker for me. It could have been for someone else. I think they need better proof readers. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

Some of us have cruised Oceania and most recently Regent. 

On Oceania, you need to show you card constantly even to dine.

On Regent, they had many substandard interactions with crew. We even had to report our cabin number to be seating in Compass Rose.

One both lines above, there was either nothing to do (literally).  No music, enrichment - NOTHING.

Crystal always had multiple choices of music, dance, lectures, art....at any time.

We have not had to pull our cards out as often as I had feared we might. We have the Premium Package, and after our first pass through the various lounges, the barkeeps know we have it, so we only pull it out when we leave. Have not had to use it for any of the evening dining venues, though the MDR and specialties do ask for your room number. You don't even need the card to get on and off the ship. They are using a facial recognition system that apparently compares your face to the photo on file. It is faster as you don't have to stand there waiting for the person at the head of the line who apparently forgot to take out their card in advance and is now rummaging through all their worldly posessions to find it!!😁

Edited by Roland4
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, History&Wine said:

Unless I am missing something shore excursions are unavailable for booking for the entire world cruise...even the dates in January.  They were previously available all the way through May, but when the itinerary changes were made due to the war in the Middle East the excursions were greyed out and have remained so for the entire 141 days. 

Dwight...I have raised this to my contact for these types of issues and is following up with IT to figure out what is causing this issue.

Keith

4 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

.On Regent, they had many substandard interactions with crew. We even had to report our cabin number to be seating in Compass Rose.

That is certainly not our experience on RSSC Explorer for the last 2 weeks - there are excellent lecturers (and next week one of the Crystal regular lecturers is onboard covering his topics) and a very full programme of activities and things like Culinary Arts classes - we’ve found that there simply isn’t enough time to fit everything

Sone of the guest entertainers are the same as on Crystal including one who was on Symphony last week. There’s music in three lounges each night and multiple productions shows across the voyage 

The included wines and spirits onboard are better than we’ve experienced on any of the lines we’ve sailed - including Crystal. Foods subjective but we have 10 friends cruising with us and all are very happy with the quality and variety of foods - having specialty restaurants open for lunch is an excellent initiative. There were some service leases but after a bit of counselling and a very open to suggestions executive team (I have never seen an Exec Chef so visible and accessible as on here) these were quickly corrected 

I’m really struggling to understand how our Regent experience could be so different than yours? 

Edited by Stickman1990
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

I’m really struggling to understand how our Regent experience could be so different than yours? 

New Ship for you on a high end itinerary would make a difference in the experience.

We were on the SS Mariner in Mexico with a new crew and post covid,

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

New Ship for you on a high end itinerary would make a difference in the experience.

I am a very difficult guy concerning F&B operations and I really had 2 great sailings on the Regent Splendor - and yes the complimentary wines are better as average , for sure better as on SS and SB

I do not mind to mention my cabin number for Compass Rose 

Only the complimentary Champagne  Heidsieck  Monopole is somewhat "too cheap" in view of the rather high fares on Regent IMHO  something better should be offered - like on SS  Pommery 

however Champagne is very personal  -  

during my disaster cruise on Explora , a lot of people were overwhelmed by the free Moët , a brand I simply do not like at all. same for the "yellow widow"😁

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

I’ve often told people, “you do not book Oceania for the entertainment.”  I have no idea when you were looking for music but there is live music before and after dinner each night. Generally piano music in Martini’s, the strings in the upper hall (R class ships) or the promenade between the dining room and Martini’s (O class ships), and often the show band in Horizons during happy hour, and also sometimes after the main show as well.  

You also mentioned giving your cabin number to dine, in the Grand Dining Room they ask simply to ensure you don’t have allergies noted, or even a special request on file.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bradpole said:

I’ve often told people, “you do not book Oceania for the entertainment.”  I have no idea when you were looking for music but there is live music before and after dinner each night. Generally piano music in Martini’s, the strings in the upper hall (R class ships) or the promenade between the dining room and Martini’s (O class ships), and often the show band in Horizons during happy hour, and also sometimes after the main show as well.  

You also mentioned giving your cabin number to dine, in the Grand Dining Room they ask simply to ensure you don’t have allergies noted, or even a special request on file.  

3 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Why are we talking about Oceania and Regent on this thread?

Is it just because one person won't book Crystal until the entertainment/enrichment guide is on the web site?

Amazing.

Why does it matter?? The original topic of this thread was exhausted months ago, so it's not like we are anymore off-topic than normal! 🙂

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Roland4 said:

Why does it matter?? The original topic of this thread was exhausted months ago, so it's not like we are anymore off-topic than normal! 🙂

I don’t know of any cruise line that shows this information on their website.  Crystal did in the past and I think they are planning on doing this in the future.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TRIPACIAN said:

I don’t know of any cruise line that shows this information on their website.  Crystal did in the past and I think they are planning on doing this in the future.

One of the reasons I first chose Crystal, many years ago (besides the itinerary and cuisine), is precisely because they DID show the lecturers and entertainment on their website. As I recall, there were several lectures I wanted to hear. It pushed me from one line (with a similar itinerary) to theirs. I can't emphasize enough how important this is to decision-making when people are deciding between brands, especially with new clients.

I want a full and exciting itinerary, but I also want good enrichment on sea days.* Crystal needs to get this old amenity back on their new website ASAP.

* Not the same guys over and over

Edited by Cruise-y
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Cruise-y said:

One of the reasons I first chose Crystal, many years ago (besides the itinerary and cuisine), is precisely because they DID show the lecturers and entertainment on their website. As I recall, there were several lectures I wanted to hear. It pushed me from one line (with a similar itinerary) to theirs. I can't emphasize enough how important this is to decision-making when people are deciding between brands, especially with new clients.

I want a full and exciting itinerary, but I also want good enrichment on sea days.* Crystal needs to get this old amenity back on their new website ASAP.

Well  your wish will come true as they will show this sooner rather than later.

At the same time, while it's great to know who has been signed up to be on board when it comes to entertainers and enrichment this can change even up to the last minute.

In my case, we book way before this information is available. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Cruise-y said:

Agree 100%, not the same guys or at least not the same lecture over and over!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2023 at 5:29 PM, ChatKat in Ca. said:

My wife and I did our second Regent cruise in November on the Mariner. We had a great time and thought the staff really slaved to make people as happy as possible. 

Ours was from NYC to Miami, and very affordable in relative terms. There were complaints about the heads not flushing well on many floors, and we had the problem here and were, but it was resolved quickly.

The activités on-board were enough. We participated in everything we could and enjoyed the cruise director's sense of humor and really all of the workers.

The food and beverage was great. Yes, we found some differences between the last trip (pre-Covid) and this one. The ref in Prime was so tough we just didn't finish our meals. We dined there 3x and struck out each time. Others were happy as larks, so everyone's mileage may vary.

On Silversea, if I recall correctly, and our pre-Covid Regent trip: I think the wines might have been better, there was Caviar liberally served. This trip they had Caviar on Sunday morning in the buffet, and each serving was one spoonful given to us by a server at a station, so we would've had to make spectacles of ourselves if we wanted more 'helpings'. I noticed that detail.

There was a huge outdoor dinner by the pool one night. An ambitious effort with so many lobster tails running off a BBQ even the most diehard seafood fanatic would have needed their stomach pumped if they went bonkers! The drawn butter was missing bowls in which to ladle the stuff. I asked a man, and it turns out he was the executive chef! Super nice, went crazy himself trying to find a solution. That's how hard they tried on our 'cheapo' cruise!

The F&B director, Nico, was always around. Very friendly, made a call to get us a table at another specialty restaurant personally. Having lived on Maui for decades, we are spoiled when it comes to things like sashimi. They tried, but the tuna was soggy and nothing close to what we've had before on Regent or Silver Seas, but whining about this is a cheap shot really. When you think of three meals a day, plus snacks in between meals, bars and other things happening, for so many people it is massive. They did an exceptional job. 

Just go to a Marriott and compare!

But seriously, if we were to really focus on every single little F&B aspect, we could spend hours doing so. Food is very subjective. The alcohol options were aplenty. Premium brands of every imaginable liquor was there for unlimited consumption. There was always a sommelier hovering to provide wines, even if some were not our favorites so what? They were included, abundant, and we could have anything else if we wanted too. The wines were fine. 

The shows were great, there were changes in who did what, and even a movie (Barbie) with popcorn!

Regent includes free laundry, and you do not have to have sailed on their ships 20 times to get this treat. If we go Silver Seas we can possibly get this comped depending on who sells us the ticket, or the mood of someone behind the scenes, but I do not think this is 'included' for everyone. Not having to sit by a washer/dryer on my vacation was nice as that is the point, for us. To do as little domestic work as possible.

We went on many free excursions. Lots of snorkeling to see turtles and sea life. We know the Caribbean well, having been to the BVI and other West Indies since we were teenagers in the early 1970s. The loss of sea life, coral reefs looking bleached, etc., were so sad to see. 

We booked our cruise about two months ahead of the travel date. Most of the excursions were booked solid by then. While on board the man in charge of these was Axel, and he managed to always find a way to fit us onto a snorkel boat as stand-bys.

We followed their online site for the cruise pretty closely. I do not recall ever seeing any mention of dancing specifics, or who would be performing what.

I'd give Regent high marks for our two experiences on that line, with our most-recent just a month ago. 

No, we have only done 10 cruises, but we have traveled the world in our lives, and stayed at some pretty nice places, enjoyed many fine restaurants and hospitality experiences. These are ships! Amazing what they do on them. 

I had been eyeing Crystal during the pandemic, and when they went under I was bummed for them and their loyal following. We were literally reaching into our pockets around the time this all went down.

I'm back here reading this thread now because I'm still curious. This line, and Seabourn are next for us. I really do not want to do loads of laundry so have been hesitant to book Seabourn as I am not paying $50 per load/bag, which is what I think they charge. I'll see what Crystal's deal is regarding same.

I hope Crystal does very well. Having four competitors in the 'six star' arena is good for us, methinks. We have cruised on Oceania four times. That line nickel and dimed us to death, but these were all pre-pandemic. Perhaps they have stopped those practices, but we will avoid that line in the future as a result of our own experiences. Just not worth the hassle of combing though hundreds of posts to see if they've improved their game. The 'blew it' with us... for now,

• Like 2

On 12/9/2023 at 6:01 AM, olindacat said:

My wife and I did our second Regent cruise in November on the Mariner. We had a great time and thought the staff really slaved to make people as happy as possible. 

I think this hits on a key differentiator for Crystal that is so hard to describe, and can't really be captured in marketing materials, video reviews, menus, the amount of free caviar, laundry services, the specific brand of Champaign, etc.

The key thing to understand about Crystal is the overall vibe on board - which is because of the amazing crew and other guests. But honestly, it all starts with the crew. Of course, they bend over backwards to make people happy as we'd expect - it's so much more than a subservient relationship between passengers and crew. The Crystal crew is engaging. They are funny. Interesting and intelligent. And overwhelmingly kind, hospitable and generous. Oh, and so very welcoming. 

The loyalty program is called Crystal Society *Family* - because the ship feels like a welcoming, generous, familiar extended family who welcomes those of us who sail with open hearts and arms. And most of the passengers who sail Crystal are equally interesting, kind and hospitable - which makes for an incredibly warm environment onboard. That's the real magic of Crystal. 

And of course, Crystal has all of those elegant and over-the-top touches and experiences. But I think it's hard to describe the differences between the lines in terms of just amenities, perks and even the service. Because the real magic on Crystal start and ends with the crew. So if that's your thing, Crystal might be a good fit.  

• Like 10

On 11/24/2023 at 11:22 PM, Stickman1990 said:

That is certainly not our experience on RSSC Explorer for the last 2 weeks - there are excellent lecturers (and next week one of the Crystal regular lecturers is onboard covering his topics) and a very full programme of activities and things like Culinary Arts classes - we’ve found that there simply isn’t enough time to fit everything

Sone of the guest entertainers are the same as on Crystal including one who was on Symphony last week. There’s music in three lounges each night and multiple productions shows across the voyage 

The included wines and spirits onboard are better than we’ve experienced on any of the lines we’ve sailed - including Crystal. Foods subjective but we have 10 friends cruising with us and all are very happy with the quality and variety of foods - having specialty restaurants open for lunch is an excellent initiative. There were some service leases but after a bit of counselling and a very open to suggestions executive team (I have never seen an Exec Chef so visible and accessible as on here) these were quickly corrected 

we are on the new grandeur b2b2b. fabulous lecturers and entertainment. great music everywhere. fabulous cruise director. outstanding food and service best ship i’ve ever been on. could not ask for more

i agree with stickman 1000%

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/10/2023 at 9:36 PM, fisherboe said:

I think this hits on a key differentiator for Crystal that is so hard to describe, and can't really be captured in marketing materials, video reviews, menus, the amount of free caviar, laundry services, the specific brand of Champaign, etc.

The key thing to understand about Crystal is the overall vibe on board - which is because of the amazing crew and other guests. But honestly, it all starts with the crew. Of course, they bend over backwards to make people happy as we'd expect - it's so much more than a subservient relationship between passengers and crew. The Crystal crew is engaging. They are funny. Interesting and intelligent. And overwhelmingly kind, hospitable and generous. Oh, and so very welcoming. 

The loyalty program is called Crystal Society *Family* - because the ship feels like a welcoming, generous, familiar extended family who welcomes those of us who sail with open hearts and arms. And most of the passengers who sail Crystal are equally interesting, kind and hospitable - which makes for an incredibly warm environment onboard. That's the real magic of Crystal. 

And of course, Crystal has all of those elegant and over-the-top touches and experiences. But I think it's hard to describe the differences between the lines in terms of just amenities, perks and even the service. Because the real magic on Crystal start and ends with the crew. So if that's your thing, Crystal might be a good fit.  

the crew on regent and silversea are family too. there is no discernible difference 

same with passengers

identical demographic

• Like 1

The other thing to remember with Crystal is to ask if you want something and don't see it .  The goal of the crew is never to say NO.   Not that there maybe things they can't do but they will do whatever they can to meet your needs and requests.  Saying YES is what they always want to do.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ctjon said:

The other thing to remember with Crystal is to ask if you want something and don't see it .  The goal of the crew is never to say NO.   Not that there maybe things they can't do but they will do whatever they can to meet your needs and requests.  Saying YES is what they always want to do.

Same on regent ss and seabourn. No difference

5 hours ago, bitob said:

the crew on regent and silversea are family too. there is no discernible difference 

same with passengers

identical demographic

I disagree about demographic. Regent is very North American Crystal is very international. 
We are long time Regent cruisers and are comfortable with the crew style. 
I have only been on three SSea cruises and IMO it is hit and miss. I prefer the expedition experiences here to the classic. 
I am totally amazed with the care the staff on Serenity have been taking of me post knee surgery. They really watch over me like family. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Emdee said:

I disagree about demographic. Regent is very North American Crystal is very international. 

Talking about passenger demographics depends on the region where the cruise is taking place and the cruise itinerary and your comment is a sweeping generalisation - which I don’t think is accurate 

On a very recent Regent cruise in Asia we had 200 US guests and 200 Australian guests plus an assortment of other nationalities including a good number from the UK - so how does that equate to Regent being North American? 

I don’t think Crystal is anymore (or less) international in terms of guest makeup than Regent and Silversea 

• Like 1

In terms of taking care of passengers, my husband has mobility issues. In the recent grandeur crossing the crew virtually held onto him when the ship was rocking so he would not fall

we have had so many acts of extreme kindness from crew on regent ss and seabourn 

it is not unique to crystal 

• Like 1