Sea Sickness in the Caribbean?

BostonBoy2

We are first-time cruisers, and will be going on Holland America's NIEUW STATENDAM Caribbean 7 day "Tropical" cruise in February. The itinerary is Nassau, Amber Cove, Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, with two days at sea. The cruise departs from and returns to Ft. Lauderdale.

I'm quite susceptible to sea sickness, and I'm wondering - might we encounter rough seas on this trip? If so, what is the best sea sickness preventative? A Scopolamine transdermal patch? Something else?

Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, BostonBoy2 said:

We are first-time cruisers, and will be going on Holland America's NIEUW STATENDAM Caribbean 7 day "Tropical" cruise in February. The itinerary is Nassau, Amber Cove, Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, with two days at sea. The cruise departs from and returns to Ft. Lauderdale.

I'm quite susceptible to sea sickness, and I'm wondering - might we encounter rough seas on this trip? If so, what is the best sea sickness preventative? A Scopolamine transdermal patch? Something else?

Thanks in advance.

Caribbean? Smooth as silk unless it’s not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It's possible to encounter seas rough enough to trigger motion sickness anywhere. No one but your doctor can advise what preventative is BEST for you. Many regard the Scopolomine patch as the method of last resort due to its potential for adverse reactions. There are previous threads ad nauseum you could look up using the search window on this forum. (Pardon the pun).

• Like 2

It really depends on how easily you get seasick. I personally get sick standing on a dock so have gotten plenty seasick in the Caribbean.

I've tried everything - but I personally would not use the Scopolamine patch as my first resort. It's strong medicine. I used it on probably 10 cruises but started to have some not great side-effects. Talk to your doctor, of course, but there are plenty of other options. Acupuncture is now my go-to because it's drug free and it works better than anything for me. Half a Bonine (meclizine) before bed is my second choice, but a lot of people do really well with Sea Bands/acupressure bands, ginger, even eating green applies. 

• Like 1

I take a generic Bonine every night going to bed starting the night before the cruise. I have no seasick issues unless it gets extremely rough.  It helps a bit with sleep and I have no side effects.  My DH won't take it as he is extremely sensitive to anything for sleep.  He would feel groggy half the day.  Try it at home to see how it affects you.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm susceptible to motion sickness.  So when I booked my first and only cruise (solo) to the Western Caribbean in November 2022 my physician prescribed a behind-the-ear patch which I used.  Until the last of the 7 night cruise, the ship seemed calm.  I don't know if I would have felt something had I not worn the patch, but I thought it was worth it.

I get motion sickness pretty easy.   In fact, we didn't start cruising until 18 years after we were married out of fear I'd be sick...so much wasted time!

My first cruise I had the wrist bands (which in the past did nothing for me), and Bonine.  I felt a little off once or twice (on a Carnival Fantasy class ship).  Looking back it may have been the bonine.  Also the bonine made me VERY drowsy.

My mom (where I get my motion sickness from) uses the scoplamine and still has some effects.

After that cruise, I kept it with me, but have been taking ginger pills.  I usually start the day before and take two a day.  I was able to take several tender rides (including Belize which is a ways from the port), and an excursion around Half-Moon Cay with a boat ride, snorkeling and back with no ill effects.  We had a forward cabin so in theory I should have felt all the waves etc... but didn't phase me at all.

Since starting with the ginger pills, the only time I recall not feeling well was on an RCI ship where the dining room was right above the engine area and there was a constant vibration that didn't sit well with me.

You've taken your cruise by now and hopefully had no ill effects, but went ahead and replied in case other see this.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2023 at 6:57 AM, BostonBoy2 said:

Thanks in advance.

Several years ago I was talking to the staff in the medical center onboard a cruise ship. 

The doctor had recently returned from a medical conference for cruise ship doctors. 

A discussion at the conference was:  what is better for sea sickness (medicated patches/prescription meds) or non prescription meds. 

Overall the doctors concurred that although the prescription route worked, the patients felt like crap due to the side effects of the medicine.  Hence: defeating the purpose (they were not enjoying their cruise) 

Seasickness can happen to anyone at any time while on water. 

Even those who have never gotten seasickness before can suddenly - get sick.  

So, yes - be prepared. 

Yes - take along a nice supply of non prescription meds. 

Test them at home and make sure you don't get any type of negative reaction. 

And then, don't worry! 

If you feel it coming on - take some meds.  And stop drinking at that point.  Alcohol makes the situation worse. 

🛳enJOY 

Edited by Boo's Mom
typo

• 4 weeks later...

First thing, you say you're a first-time cruiser but prone to sea sickness ... so I assume you've only experienced this on small boats?  You may find that a big ship is different; that's pretty common.  No one in my family has even the remotest problem with sea sickness on a cruise ship, but put us on a small boat (like a boat that'd take you snorkeling on a shore excursion), and my husband's chances of being sick are about 50-50 ... so he takes meds ahead of time /gets them solidly into his system.  Anyway, don't assume you'll be sick on the big ship. 

Second, bring plenty of meds with you.  They'll be expensive onboard.  Get the 24-hour pills so you don't have to bother with them quite as often /you'll have a smaller chance of making a mistake in taking them.  

If you do get sick, take meds, drink plenty of water and take a good nap.  That'll sort of "reset" your body.  

Finally, consider taking candied ginger with you.  I occasionally have trouble with car sickness, and that stuff gives you INSTANT relief.  Unfortunately, it's short-lived.  You can buy candied ginger in the produce section of Harris Teeter (name brand Sweet Melissa); alternately, you can make your own ... plenty of recipes online.  I cut it up into bitty bits and bring it in a small Tupperware.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My wife got seasick one night in the way back from Aruba in rough seas. I asked a bartender and what he said was to eat a little something and that would help with seasickness. Counterintuitive I know but it worked

On 5/24/2023 at 11:14 AM, CoW mAn said:

My friend tried everything and nothing worked until he found this, fixed him up in under 2 minutes without medication

I have actually used something like that, and the darn things work.  Was on the Oasis a few years ago in the Caribbean.  Got really rough one night mid cruise.  Was wearing that the whole time.  Felt the motion, but did not translate to nausea.