For those who got Diamond Status Match

sidari

Did you receive the benefits from the get go? ie on your first cruise as a Diamond member? the response below is from the UK office claiming that it does not happen from the start!

Does anyone who status matched have a different answer to this response from MSC ? When you did your first cruise did you receive all the benefits of Diamond ?

Hi Dave, thank you for your message. We can see that there is a misunderstanding in the information above. We can guarantee that the process of Status Match does not grant new clients straight access to the Diamond Membership. Thank you.

We status matched to Black(Diamond) and got the benefits, first being the booking discount, then all the on board benefits.

On board they will probably sort it out, 

The main benefit now is the meal.

Given there are a couple UK TA that are offering 15% discounts go through them and they should sort out any applicable voyager discount for the booking.

8 minutes ago, sidari said:

Did you receive the benefits from the get go? ie on your first cruise as a Diamond member? the response below is from the UK office claiming that it does not happen from the start!

Does anyone who status matched have a different answer to this response from MSC ? When you did your first cruise did you receive all the benefits of Diamond ?

Hi Dave, thank you for your message. We can see that there is a misunderstanding in the information above. We can guarantee that the process of Status Match does not grant new clients straight access to the Diamond Membership. Thank you.

Absolutely, yes we did.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

We status matched to Black(Diamond) and got the benefits, first being the booking discount, then all the on board benefits.

On board they will probably sort it out, 

The main benefit now is the meal.

Given there are a couple UK TA that are offering 15% discounts go through them and they should sort out any applicable voyager discount for the booking.

We have been Diamond for some time now, the MSC response was in reply to a question about status match. Seems someone is making it up as they go along at the UK office.

• Like 1

We did the match in 2016 for our first MSC cruise on Musica, we got black at the time. It was in the very early days of the match, we got all the benefits and I remember when we went to the black party (don't know the official name) there were only about 30 people there. The captain and CD came around and when we mentioned it was our first time on MSC and we'd done the match they both pulled up a chair and started asking how they compared to other cruises we'd done. Think we were the first people they'd had with the match.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sidari said:

We have been Diamond for some time now, the MSC response was in reply to a question about status match. Seems someone is making it up as they go along at the UK office.

Was your reply from the general email address or from someone specifically at Antonio Paradiso's office? I think that general email just goes to the call centre staff who don't really seem to know anything and just recite parrot fashion. To be fair the same thing seems to happen with RCL too. Not really good customer service though.

• Like 2

We status matched to Diamond and received all the perks on our very first cruise. Bad in the day it was great.

We now have going on 30,000 points and just off the Meraviglia and the Diamond perks almost did not exist.  We did receive Prosecco and macarons and went to dinner at Butchers Cut with our Diamond perk. If we had not made been Diamond for so long we would not have known just to make a reservation and go and tell the waiter it is your Diamond meal.  There was no note in the cabin about it like there use to be.

No more chocolate ships, one chocolate bar per cabin. We received no information about a Diamond party but were told by another couple later in the cruise there was one, it was on a port day at 11am (what a bad time).  No gift was given.  I had to ask for robes and slippers (I love the slippers because I don't have to take mine in my luggage). 

I thought there used to be a concierge for Diamond members on ships but was told I was wrong and not one on the Mera. I am pretty sure there use to be one, correct me if wrong.

The benefits have been so watered down and each ship just does what they want anymore seems to me.  Sorry for the rant and answering more than your original question. 😬

• Like 1

We got our status matched before Covid (nearly expired).    

On the first cruise on Divina with MSC just after restarted they applied VC + military discount (10% totally) the diamond status was very nice with chocolate ships and commimentary dinner at Butchers Cut.

Our second on Mera there was a sheet in the cabin listing benefits for all levels.  We did receive Prosecco and macarons plus 6 Venchi chocolate pieces NO cholate gift and got to go to dinner at Butchers Cut with our Diamond status.  We also received invitations to Welcome Back Party and Diamond Members Party on sea days at 5 PM. Both of them were OK with a lot of wine/champagne it was nice for MSC to have them but not warm welcome as other lines such Princess or Royal Caribbean.  We also received 2 cheap bags with MSC logo on the day before departure.

With MSC price and status match we already 2 cruises booked for later this year.

Happy cruising.

Yes we received status match and the benefits (discount) before our first MSC cruise April 2019 

We were upgraded for free to the YC from Fantastica Aft balcony so didn’t use the specialty dining perk that cruise. Used it our second one. 

Maybe they don’t status match to Diamond now but they were doing it 4 yrs ago. 

Has anyone received it in the last year?

Edited by styles27

10 minutes ago, styles27 said:

Maybe they don’t status match to Diamond now but they were doing it 4 yr ago.

This might (really just might) indeed be a reason for the answer the OP got.

From various posts it appears that MSC does not want to match that freely to diamond as they used to, but than it appears that this not handled consequently as some still report such a match.

Yet, so far I have not read from anybody who got the match but did not receive the benefits.

• Like 1

We were matched to Black/Diamond about five years ago, and they stopped that generous match the month after. It was my understanding that loyal MSC passengers were upset that people like us could board their first MSC cruise with that high status. I sort of agree.

We did a B2B last month, and our room steward was pretty much on top of the benefits. We received everything the first day. You are not given a notice about the meal perk- the restaurant knows when you make your reservation and confirm that you intend to use your Diamond perk.

The chocolate ship is no longer- just a small dark chocolate bar. Our robes and slippers were given on day two.

The Diamond party is just one step above the Voyagers party, which was pathetic. The Voyagers' party offered watered-down cocktails, no wine, and a small bowl of potato chips. The Diamond party was the same but offered wine and basic appetizers. Our CD was one of the worst, and the entire party was tedious for the officers and passengers. I chose not to attend either party on the second sailing.

3 hours ago, sidari said:

Hello,

To be fair, I don't think MSC are unique in that respect.

Regards,

Cublet

49 minutes ago, styles27 said:

Maybe they don’t status match to Diamond now but they were doing it 4 yrs ago. 

Has anyone received it in the last year?

We booked a last minute MSC cruise for December last year. First time on MSC cruise. We got the Diamond status match after our booking. The ticket and MSC card did not show Diamond status. We had to log in to MSC/Voyage Club account to show our Diamond status to get into the priority boarding line. Didn't receive any Diamond gifts initially. I talked to the guest service on the second day, and they sent the prosecco and macarons to our cabin that night. Also got one specialty dinning and thermal spa day pass. When we paid for the photo package, we also received 40% off for diamond member. So all the diamond benefits do apply to first time cruise after status match.

From the UK MSC letter in OP, I do interpret it as that there is not guarantee that you will get a status match to Diamond membership. However, once you have the status matched, you will receive all the Diamond membership benefits.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

We were matched to Black/Diamond about five years ago, and they stopped that generous match the month after. It was my understanding that loyal MSC passengers were upset that people like us could board their first MSC cruise with that high status. I sort of agree.

We did a B2B last month, and our room steward was pretty much on top of the benefits. We received everything the first day. You are not given a notice about the meal perk- the restaurant knows when you make your reservation and confirm that you intend to use your Diamond perk.

The chocolate ship is no longer- just a small dark chocolate bar. Our robes and slippers were given on day two.

The Diamond party is just one step above the Voyagers party, which was pathetic. The Voyagers' party offered watered-down cocktails, no wine, and a small bowl of potato chips. The Diamond party was the same but offered wine and basic appetizers. Our CD was one of the worst, and the entire party was tedious for the officers and passengers. I chose not to attend either party on the second sailing.

Your timeline makes sense. We applied for it in 2018 while planning our Med cruise. 

I think that was MSC’s marketing attempt to attract veteran travelers to their ships…now they’re shifting to the “lower than competition” pricing to do it. 

I think the status match attracted a more favorable clientele the low pricing deal is not.  

I wonder how the longtime loyal MSC population feels about it now. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MaverickF said:

We booked a last minute MSC cruise for December last year. First time on MSC cruise. We got the Diamond status match after our booking. The ticket and MSC card did not show Diamond status. We had to log in to MSC/Voyage Club account to show our Diamond status to get into the priority boarding line. Didn't receive any Diamond gifts initially. I talked to the guest service on the second day, and they sent the prosecco and macarons to our cabin that night. Also got one specialty dinning and thermal spa day pass. When we paid for the photo package, we also received 40% off for diamond member. So all the diamond benefits do apply to first time cruise after status match.

From the UK MSC letter in OP, I do interpret it as that there is not guarantee that you will get a status match to Diamond membership. However, once you have the status matched, you will receive all the Diamond membership benefits.

Ok so there goes my theory lol

Thanks for confirming that it’s still happening!

2 hours ago, yvet said:

Of i read it then it looks like that he’s telling you that not every status match end up being diamond….

I answered OP who posted this question in a different thread before noticing this one. I read it the same way you did.

1 hour ago, styles27 said:

Your timeline makes sense. We applied for it in 2018 while planning our Med cruise. 

I think that was MSC’s marketing attempt to attract veteran travelers to their ships…now they’re shifting to the “lower than competition” pricing to do it. 

I think the status match attracted a more favorable clientele the low pricing deal is not.  

I wonder how the longtime loyal MSC population feels about it now. 

The best benefits were reduced the month before status match was introduced, which did leave a bad taste in the mouths of those of us who had built up points from MSC sailings.  We received 20% discount (not 5+15) on ALL sailings - not just selective ones - and a bottle of Moët was awaiting you in your cabin on embarkation day.

Us “regulars” had been hoping that MSC would introduce a new, higher tier, as an incentive to those who’d status-matched to Black to continue sailing MSC for even greater benefits and for us, who had felt hard-done by, especially those who had a lot more than the 10000 points.  Couldn’t care less, now (I’ll have over 50000 after my upcoming cruise - 40000 of which have zero value!). 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

The best benefits were reduced the month before status match was introduced, which did leave a bad taste in the mouths of those of us who had built up points from MSC sailings.  We received 20% discount (not 5+15) on ALL sailings - not just selective ones - and a bottle of Moët was awaiting you in your cabin on embarkation day.

Us “regulars” had been hoping that MSC would introduce a new, higher tier, as an incentive to those who’d status-matched to Black to continue sailing MSC for even greater benefits and for us, who had felt hard-done by, especially those who had a lot more than the 10000 points.  Couldn’t care less, now (I’ll have over 50000 after my upcoming cruise - 40000 of which have zero value!). 

A lot of lines the serious upper levels need some serious loyalty over quite long periods or high level cabins.

MSC time you out if you don't keep cruising a lot of one time diamond will drop out.

Agree there is room for some more perks for those with those earned points.

Maybe trade points for discount if no newer lever.

6 hours ago, sidari said:

Seems someone is making it up as they go along at the UK office.

Oh, no, David! That can't be so!  😉 Sorry for the apparent troubles you are experiencing in the UK.  Here stateside, we can sleep at night knowing that USA MSC's theme is, "Promises made, promises kept." 

7 hours ago, sidari said:

Alternatively it's perhaps only applied immediately to those who get a status match, rather than those (you) who gradually and patiently make their way to the required points total....🤣

24 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Alternatively it's perhaps only applied immediately to those who get a status match, rather than those (you) who gradually and patiently make their way to the required points total....🤣

G ... How wrong you are just like the response from MSC UK.

7 hours ago, hamrag said:

That seems to me to be a contradicting statement!

The MSC chocolate gift is a dark choloate bar about the size of US paper dollar or a little larger or so with MSC logo with the ship name on it and Venchi chocolate is a size of our US quarter coin that is the different.