All your P&O dress code comments and queries.

jomf

Not wanting to start a trend but if the clientele on the new ships is that different shorts may be the least of your worries,the pyjama brigade surely can't be far behind!😆

we have a 19 night cruise coming up on Arcadia,that is showing a Celebration night & four formal nights,way too many for my liking!😮

• Like 1

1 minute ago, snaefell said:

Not wanting to start a trend but if the clientele on the new ships is that different shorts may be the least of your worries,the pyjama brigade surely can't be far behind!😆

we have a 19 night cruise coming up on Arcadia,that is showing a Celebration night & four formal nights,way too many for my liking!😮

I'm surprised some folk haven't already been seen popping to the buffet breakfast in their jamas and fluffy mule slippers.🙄

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, TigerB said:

I'm surprised some folk haven't already been seen popping to the buffet breakfast in their jamas and fluffy mule slippers.🙄

yes saw them on last cruise albeit on smoking deck early morning plus coat on top of jimjams. YesI do smoke but as I dont wear them I get dressed first lol

Edited by solentsam
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, snaefell said:

There was a woman in what appeared to me to be a pink towelling nightie on Iona last week

On 2/18/2023 at 11:12 PM, devonuk said:

Sorry to disappoint but you can now… Maitre d’s aren’t stopping it and that includes the club house, theatre etc. Didn’t think I’d ever see the like but even though it’s not widespread it is being allowed. 

It might occur, but you really have to look hard to find it.

On 2/21/2023 at 1:10 PM, TigerB said:

It happened on Azura a couple of weeks ago. Two male passengers, came into the buffet in robes and slippers and the Manager promptly told them they should be dressed appropriately, the man was going to argue the point but the Manager did the right thing and told them to leave and they did. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Reg Prescott said:

We are on the Britannia very soon and our itinerary shows 1 Celebration night and 3 Formal nights. What's the difference between Celebration nights and Formal nights ?

You get a free drink on celebration night. Just one!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reg Prescott said:

We are on the Britannia very soon and our itinerary shows 1 Celebration night and 3 Formal nights. What's the difference between Celebration nights and Formal nights ?

In terms of dress code, not much difference.

I am not sure if this is the best thread, but I can't see a better one, and it is about dress codes!

What is the current position on theme nights on P+O?  My last trip was during covid-19 restrictions so I was not surprised there were none, but as far as my itinerary is showing for a trip in about three months, only celebration and formal are listed.  When do they show other theme nights, or will there be none?

47 minutes ago, WestonOne said:

I am not sure if this is the best thread, but I can't see a better one, and it is about dress codes!

What is the current position on theme nights on P+O?  My last trip was during covid-19 restrictions so I was not surprised there were none, but as far as my itinerary is showing for a trip in about three months, only celebration and formal are listed.  When do they show other theme nights, or will there be none?

Theme nights seem to have disappeared, at least on european cruises, maybe they still have them on Caribean cruises, where outdoor evening entertainment is more likely.

1 hour ago, WestonOne said:

Didn't have any on a 19 night med cruise last August/September...

Just came off Azura and while the majority of men were in tuxedos there were people in chinos and shirts in various venues including the theatre. As P and O attract an older crowd the outfits of a large number have possibly been in their wardrobes for many a year ! but still created a sense of occasion. We are going on Britannia this year with our Grandkids and they will be nicely dressed but not in tuxedo’s (my Grandson is 10 and either buying or renting is an utter waste of money in a cost of living crisis) He will have trousers a shirt and a waistcoat but no tie. Guys will wear the suits they already own and the ladies will wear nice dresses we have bought previously for weddings (though not evening gowns) We wont be “oh la la” but equally we won’t  totally disrespect the majority who clearly enjoy the OTT opportunity that such an occasion offers.

Edited by scotlanders
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, scotlanders said:

Just came off Azura and while the majority of men were in tuxedos there were people in chinos and shirts in various venues including the theatre. As P and O attract an older crowd the outfits of a large number have possibly been in their wardrobes for many a year ! but still created a sense of occasion. We are going on Britannia this year with our Grandkids and they will be nicely dressed but not in tuxedo’s (my Grandson is 10 and either buying or renting is an utter waste of money in a cost of living crisis) He will have trousers a shirt and a waistcoat but no tie. Guys will wear the suits they already own and the ladies will wear nice dresses we have bought previously for weddings (though not evening gowns) We wont be “oh la la” but equally we won’t  totally disrespect the majority who clearly enjoy the OTT opportunity that such an occasion offers.

We go over the top as we enjoy the dressing up, but your choice of outfits sound very smart and more than acceptable. 

Have a great time, 

Andy 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, scotlanders said:

Always good to hear opinions...but - am boarding Iona in 5 days...& neither from P&O or, definitively, from ANY forum online, can I tell if with a decent shirt/tie I will get into the MDR/Chef's Table on 6th/16th of March. No fault of anyone here...but actually makes a complete nonsense of expectations.

Absolutely NO point in being told 'Well, it depends on the attitudes on the night'. I have no wish to disrespect anyone, or any traditions, but as a solo cruiser, to pack a formal outfit to dine, on my own as likely as not, for a couple of hours on 2 evenings, makes NO sense whatsoever. On my preferred line, MSC, there would be NO debate.

I shall turn up to the MDR on Mar. 6th and, very simply, if turned away, will NEVER cruise with P&O again.

Personal opinion - not interested in being told what a pillock I am - but, I'm afraid, a valid comment on the prevailing 'indecision'  as to whether 'celebration' MUST exclude those who'd prefer to stay 'smart casual' on THEIR holiday.

• Like 2

If you check P&O's website It states on Celebration Night and Black Tie night the following dress code applies.  Celebration Nights give you the option to put your most fashionable foot forward. Elegance is the order of the evening… a chance to wow everyone with a favourite cocktail dress, tuxedo, ball gown, DJ, or a suit, jacket and tie. You may also wear formal national dress or military uniform. Again, whatever style preference, simply join in the mood and chic of the evening. Iona

Main Dining Restaurant, The Crow's Nest, Opal, Pearl, Coral, Aqua, The Epicurian, The Chef's table and Sindhu restaurant

• Like 4

On 2/20/2023 at 11:44 AM, Harry Peterson said:

Agreed. It’s inevitable, given the changing clientele base.

That may be so, but I think that it is inaccurate to equate dress code with market position. Whilst some lines like Cunard in P&Os (mid market) sector have formal evenings, others like Celebrity do not. And most of the lines in the sector above - Azamara, Oceania, Viking etc - do not, or make them optional like Regent. Saga is a notable exception.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Denarius said:

That may be so, but I think that it is inaccurate to equate dress code with market position. Whilst some lines like Cunard in P&Os (mid market) sector have formal evenings, others like Celebrity do not. And most of the lines in the sector above - Azamara, Oceania, Viking etc - do not, or make them optional like Regent. Saga is a notable exception.

And that’s the beauty of all the different cruise lines - you can check dress codes before booking and chose accordingly as to what best suits your pocket and your sense of style….😜 

• Like 6

We have recently returned from a  Azamara cruise around the Caribbean, 

there was no formal evening, I hadn’t even looked up the cruise lines expectations.

The standard of dress was fine, no one looked out of place, there was no tutting or frowning. We all just enjoyed ourselves in the clothes we felt most comfortable in.

For us it was just right.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, jomf said:

We have recently returned from a  Azamara cruise around the Caribbean, 

there was no formal evening, I hadn’t even looked up the cruise lines expectations.

The standard of dress was fine, no one looked out of place, there was no tutting or frowning. We all just enjoyed ourselves in the clothes we felt most comfortable in.

For us it was just right.

Exactly as it should be...no-one's 'right' and, within fairly obvious limits, no-one's 'wrong' either. But sadly this is a P&O dress thread, so...?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

And that’s the beauty of all the different cruise lines - you can check dress codes before booking and chose accordingly as to what best suits your pocket and your sense of style….😜 

Yup - get the 'suits your pocket' in these difficult times; .but...having to choose your cruise based on whether you have to 'dress up' on formal nights ? No...that's not remotely user friendly in an era where cruise lines SURELY have to be, with SO many alternatives.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruising Nomads said:

If you check P&O's website It states on Celebration Night and Black Tie night the following dress code applies.  Celebration Nights give you the option to put your most fashionable foot forward. Elegance is the order of the evening… a chance to wow everyone with a favourite cocktail dress, tuxedo, ball gown, DJ, or a suit, jacket and tie. You may also wear formal national dress or military uniform. Again, whatever style preference, simply join in the mood and chic of the evening. Iona

Main Dining Restaurant, The Crow's Nest, Opal, Pearl, Coral, Aqua, The Epicurian, The Chef's table and Sindhu restaurant

Sorry - is this a reply to my post ?

In which case...yes, I know what it says on the P&O site, and I know what a fair number of recent cruisers have said actually happened in their experience...but I have NO clue what I'm actually going to find arriving at the MDR on Iona at 6p.m. on Mar. 6th.

2 hours ago, CliveJ said:

Always good to hear opinions...but - am boarding Iona in 5 days...& neither from P&O or, definitively, from ANY forum online, can I tell if with a decent shirt/tie I will get into the MDR/Chef's Table on 6th/16th of March. No fault of anyone here...but actually makes a complete nonsense of expectations.

Absolutely NO point in being told 'Well, it depends on the attitudes on the night'. I have no wish to disrespect anyone, or any traditions, but as a solo cruiser, to pack a formal outfit to dine, on my own as likely as not, for a couple of hours on 2 evenings, makes NO sense whatsoever. On my preferred line, MSC, there would be NO debate.

I shall turn up to the MDR on Mar. 6th and, very simply, if turned away, will NEVER cruise with P&O again.

Personal opinion - not interested in being told what a pillock I am - but, I'm afraid, a valid comment on the prevailing 'indecision'  as to whether 'celebration' MUST exclude those who'd prefer to stay 'smart casual' on THEIR holiday.

Well we are on the same cruise and I will definitely be wearing my dinner suit and black tie on both 6th/16th and think many

others will do the same. Perhaps if you don't like adhering P&Os dress code then perhaps you should have not booked to cruise with them and stayed with MSC.

• Like 1