Everyone loves the Indian food. Why not have an Indian food speciality restaurant?

11 hours ago, joeyancho said:

Love Indian cuisine. Would definitely be in favor of a true tandoori (oven) restaurant on board,  that also made fresh Naan. A variety of samosas would be great. Mango Lassi,  yummy.  Indian food is not just curry. Americans need to get out of their comfort zone just a little.  Steak and lobster is great, but so is a lot of other things. 

Carnival had or may still have this on a couple of their ships.  Also Indian vegetarian is a standard item on their everyday MDR menu. But Indian is such a diverse country there are many different styles.  Some are more friendly to American tastes than others.

17 hours ago, Longford said:

I sailed 7 nights on Serenade from Tampa in November 2022.  I ate all meals in Windjammer ... and daily at lunch and dinner there was an Indian food buffet - at which I participated frequently.  I enjoyed it.

But everything there is mild, suitable for a general audience.  Some people would love a spicy-hot dish.

• Like 1

I eat an Indian dish, in WJ, at most breakfasts and lunches (along with other items), and sometimes at MDR dinner.  However, the reason DH and I never eat in a specialty restaurant is because the menu is specialized.  He eats red meat, I do not.  Same with some seafood, etc.  MDR always has things that both of us can enjoy.  We both like Indian food, but it's very unlikely we would do a specialty restaurant to have a meal of it.  Variety is the spice of cruising.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, zebra36 said:

Space may be an issue on ships in service unless they change out an existing restaurant.

I’m personally not a fan of Johnny Rockets. I think it gives the ship a cheap vibe. They just don’t have great food. It is like the sit down version of Sonic.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Denversail said:

Indian food is constantly given an A+ in reviews. Why not add it as an up charge restaurant?

I hear what you're saying, but they already offer a good bit of Indian food in both the MDR and Windjammer ... so why would people go to a specialty restaurant for it?  

19 hours ago, topnole said:

Everyone loves flying first class too.  But most won’t pay for it.  Point is, the important question is how many would pay 40-50 extra for it ...

Well, it wouldn't have to be that expensive; for example, Independence of the Seas has Fish & Ships, which sells a fish meal for about $7-8.  And several ships have the Mexican fast food restaurant without cost.  

19 hours ago, topnole said:

Everyone loves flying first class too.  But most won’t pay for it.  Point is, the important question is how many would pay 40-50 extra for it.   I have no idea, but I’m guessing they’ve done some research on it.  

I imagined that for many it is a love it or leave it type of feeling.  So in a group of 4-6 you’d have a mixed bag of opinions and thus you’d skip it.  Or you’d have to have many none Indian offerings.  Steakhouses, Italian, and Seafood have much greater appeal.  

We wouldn't. We've tried it at AI's and we don't like it. I know this isn't gourmet at an AI but my husband is not picky and he just doesn't like it. I want to like it as I like spicy, but something about it has a creepy taste to me.

17 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

25 yrs ago would see this on almost every Cruise was on. My then 8-10yr Daughter loved it, had Curry on Royal at least 2-3 nites a Sailing. She even had Caviar a couple nites. Even today 75% what she eats I wont touch. She makes Dinner every nite and have to decide if I'm on my own that nite, as was last 2 nites... Now my 13yr old Grand Daughter she'll eat what Mom Cooks but she Loves her Steak. Funny thing she does not care for things with ground beef or Hamburgers, calls it Fake Steak

Oh how I long for the days of caviar in the Champagne bar and hot hors d'oeuvres.

• Thanks 2

My last venture to the Indian food place, i watched one of my mates eat some sort of green pepper. His head turned a shiny bright red color and i swear i could see steam emanating from his face. Sweat pouring off his chin.

As i was casually eating my flatbread i asked him how he was enjoying his meal.

He said it was good. ( I think he was not telling the truth , lol )🤣

8 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Fried chicken fingers in the USA you eat it with BBQ sauce.  Fried chicken fingers in a Chinese restaurant in the USA is General Tso's chicken with a Chinese spice sauce on it. 

What people think of Indian food is not always full Indian food.  Just like General Tso Chicken is not Chinese food, and is not found in China.  

If a true specialty restaurant is made for a specific group, it must be done right with the right variety to give the experience.  Plus, anyone that does not like a type of food, most likely did not really eat it correctly, and had one dislike.  

Agreed and to add one more to your list…Olive Garden is by no stretch of the imagination to be considered Italian food.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Fried chicken fingers in the USA you eat it with BBQ sauce.  Fried chicken fingers in a Chinese restaurant in the USA is General Tso's chicken with a Chinese spice sauce on it. 

What people think of Indian food is not always full Indian food.  Just like General Tso Chicken is not Chinese food, and is not found in China.  

If a true specialty restaurant is made for a specific group, it must be done right with the right variety to give the experience.  Plus, anyone that does not like a type of food, most likely did not really eat it correctly, and had one dislike.  

Have you ever had Springfield Style Cashew Chicken. A very Americanized take on a staple. So tasty

I for one would not like to stay in a cabin the week after someone who had had curry every day on their cruise. That smell lingers especially on furniture and curtains. Can't get past the smell of curry of sauerkraut, both of them make me feel ill.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cruise1957 said:

I for one would not like to stay in a cabin the week after someone who had had curry every day on their cruise. That smell lingers especially on furniture and curtains. Can't get past the smell of curry of sauerkraut, both of them make me feel ill.

Our neighbors are pot heads. Try the smell of skunk cabbage coming through the A/C vents every day!  😮 I would not want to have that cabin next week!  

And before anyone asks...yes the officers have been in to talk to them several times...pretty hard to hide that smell.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, island lady said:

Our neighbors are pot heads. Try the smell of skunk cabbage coming through the A/C vents every day!  😮 I would not want to have that cabin next week!  

And before anyone asks...yes the officers have been in to talk to them several times...pretty hard to hide that smell.  

Much better than Indian food odor. Sit by the vents and breath deep. 

There's an Indian restaurant on the pool deck of a Carnival ship I'm going on later this year, and I hear it's very popular, long queues at lunchtime.  It has a tandoori oven so serves things other than curry. I love Indian food and the menu looks quite delicious so I'll be making good use of that offering, but I don't think I'd pay extra for it - for us it's just everyday food that we prepare at home, like Italian.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Have you ever had Springfield Style Cashew Chicken. A very Americanized take on a staple. So tasty

Getting hard to find here in the birthplace that is really good.  Gee’s East Wind was the best.  Nothing in our local Indian restaurants can compare. 😉  although they don’t try.

jc

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Sunset Glow said:

I am the same - the smell of curry makes me want to puke. I don't know why, but it just does.

I work for a home builder and we build lots of houses with 2 kitchens - a regular kitchen and a separate small one called a "spice kitchen". It is closed off and has a sink, stove, etc and its own exhaust system and window. The clients specifically request these to contain the smell so it does not permeate throughout their house.

It's called a "dirty kitchen" and preferred by the wealthy ... WASPs.

• Haha 1