Photographers onboard

14 minutes ago, NevadaCruiser2023 said:

Just read in a post on a site that should not be named, that photographers have been removed from the ships, apparently Royal Caribbean did it some time ago. Anybody seen any truth to this? 

When is some time ago? The so called photographers were roaming around the ship and off the ship on our March 2022 B2B cruise on the Explorer. Same with our September 2022 Summit cruise. 

Edited by davekathy

I'm also curious also.  Normally we could buy a photo package for about $129.    On our upcoming cruises in April this is listed.     Even this option disappears on the April 22 Apex TA

image.thumb.png.8348d9f37704b3a501694f2b43453604.png

40 minutes ago, davekathy said:

When is some time ago? The so called photographers were roaming around the ship and off the ship on our March 2022 B2B cruise on the Explorer. Same with our September 2022 Summit cruise. 

Beats me. All it said was "some time ago". 

12 minutes ago, spammie said:

I miss the "welcome aboard" photo which had the ship, the date and the ports.  This was the only picture we ever bought.  Now we buy none.  😞 

Bummer.  We only usually buy those (dependent on how long we traveled to that point of course. Long trip = photo not worth buying).  One time we had a photograph taken for chic night and the photographer was a photoshop genius.  We ended up looking better than we do in real life.  Love that photo. 😁

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

Same here.  Photographers were around during our November RCI cruise.   Judging from the crowds in the photo shop, there seemed to be a lot of demand for photos.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NevadaCruiser2023 said:

Just read in a post on a site that should not be named, that photographers have been removed from the ships, apparently Royal Caribbean did it some time ago. Anybody seen any truth to this? 

Just found the post again. It was posted by a passenger on the Eclipse and it was posted about 8 hours ago (around midnight PST). The ship is currently off the coast of Australia, so about 2000 hrs. local time yesterday.

We sailed on the Apex a couple of weeks ago.  There was a photographer set up some evenings with the "green screen" backgrounds, and one went around in Blue on formal night.  Otherwise no embarkation photo, no multi photo stations.

We sailed on the Silhouette back in November/Dec 2022.

There were plenty of photographers, a crew of about 5.

Times they were available around Happy Hour, dinner before, during and after dinner and around show time.

This was a fantastic group of photographers, I made friends with them !

Shout out to Felipe from Uruguay !!!

I don’t know but I could believe it. I worked professionally with the outside concessionaire group a while ago. The guarantee minimum that they had to pay X was high and they also had to give X 70% of the gross per week. Hard to make a profit 

we were on Apex a few week ago and there no no embarking photos and limited while on board. Green screen and photo studio was just about it. 

x would just use the space for something else by the photo kiosks that actually makes money. 

Nothing against professional photographers, but let’s face it , these days most people are taking pictures with their phones. The cameras in the phones are quite good , so not much

left in the way of demand for the photographers. 

4 hours ago, NevadaCruiser2023 said:

Beats me. All it said was "some time ago". 

Maybe it's not fleetwide. Maybe the photographers are being phased out thru attrition (not renewing their contract). We will be on the Apex in March. I'll keep an eye out for them. Personally I (we) could care less if the photographers were no longer but understand those that like that tradition. We rarely take advantage of the two free photos from our RC CAS perks/benefits. 

Edited by davekathy

There were at least 3 photographers on the Constellation in February.

They had the back drops (green & white screens) in a couple of places, with another photographer sometimes walking about the ship.

There were no photos at any ports, and I didn't see the photographer in the dining venues (at least at the times I visited).  No photographs were printed and put out on display, but they can be viewed on their terminals, and prints ordered if desired.

I purchased the print package in advance, but they had issues, so I had to repurchase and get it refunded, just so they had my email on their system.

Can't fault the photographers, they did a good job, and went out of their way to take some excellent photos when we wore our formal wear.

Just got off the Reflection; no more photography like it was before.

No more welcome aboard photo, no more pictures when you get off at a port, no more pictures at dinner, (which some people objected to), no setups throughout the ship.  They did have ONE setup with a green screen, during a particular time slot.  Even if you bought a photo package, THERE ARE NO MORE PRINTS;  they are not printing photos anymore. When we went to the photography unit, all the walls were bare except for those who went to the photography studio, (those up there may have been from prior cruises).  So, you want photos, take your phone and have fun ! 

22 hours ago, horseymike said:

...The cameras in the phones are quite good , so not much

left in the way of demand for the photographers. 

46 minutes ago, Pickels said:

...you want photos, take your phone and have fun ! 

Yep. If the iPhone (or any flavor) existed in the early 1980s, there is no way I would have agreed to the whole senior-photo studio session for big bucks.

Times change.

cjr