Will Celebrity change carryon wine policy to match Royal Caribbean?

Jim_Iain

Starting on March 3rd, 2023, the new wine and champagne allowance for Royal Caribbean will be one (1) 750 mL bottle, per adult of drinking age, per sailing.

This change means staterooms with more than 2 adults in the cabin could now enjoy more wine than before, such as in a Royal Caribbean Suite.

The potential downside to this change is someone cruising solo  in a cabin, or booked with only kids in their room will now be limited to one bottle per sailing.

Actually it will change the new policy of 2 bottles per adult drastically for most cabins. That would be very disappointing as wine is the one complaint I have always had with celebrity. Their premium wines by the glass is a disgrace. But I’m fine since I can now bring my own onboard without a corkage fee since we always have a drink package. 

• Like 6

Actually, I think Celebrity went to the two wines per person (not cabin), because it might save them a small amount of $$ on guests that have drink packages.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

No one can answer the OP’s question unless they work for X.  What one company does may or may not be done by the other

Agree. RC has made some changes recently we and others aren't happy with. 

I don't think they will, but I have been wrong before!

I think Royal Caribbean have gone to one bottle per adult, rather than two bottles per cabin, because so many couples boast about bringing on two bottles per person. They stand in the security line, separately, and if asked say "one for me, one for my husband"

1 hour ago, RosieCanberra said:

I don't think they will, but I have been wrong before!

I think Royal Caribbean have gone to one bottle per adult, rather than two bottles per cabin, because so many couples boast about bringing on two bottles per person. They stand in the security line, separately, and if asked say "one for me, one for my husband"

I don't believe it has anything to do with that. Like Celebrity cruisers don't do the same. Maybe it's just me as I'm not paying attention to others or what they say.  IMO, it's all about the dollars. I can remember when Celebrity and RC (at the time not under the RCG umbrella) when you weren't allowed to bring wine or other beverages onboard. The times, they are a changin'. 

• Like 1

New to Celebrity here so I am going to attempt some clarification. Are you saying Celebrity now or has in the past allowed two bottles of wine PER PERSON to board with them or is it two bottles of wine PER CABIN? We're not taking the drink package as we could never consume even half of the money's worth per day but an extra bottle of wine, shared with friends on our deck, would be nice to have.

9 minutes ago, iceleven said:

New to Celebrity here so I am going to attempt some clarification. Are you saying Celebrity now or has in the past allowed two bottles of wine PER PERSON to board with them or is it two bottles of wine PER CABIN? We're not taking the drink package as we could never consume even half of the money's worth per day but an extra bottle of wine, shared with friends on our deck, would be nice to have.

Currently Celebrity is allowing two 750 ml bottles of wine per person, fleetwide. 

Edited by davekathy

24 minutes ago, davekathy said:

If you take the bottle of wine into a venue that requires a server to pour your wine, possibly. That's been a moving target.  

I thought I read that if you had a drink package, the corkage fee would not be charged. Am I mistaken..?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

I thought I read that if you had a drink package, the corkage fee would not be charged. Am I mistaken..?

You are not mistaken. Not sure if that includes Zero Proof package though.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

Currently Celebrity is allowing two 750 ml bottles of wine per person, fleetwide. 

my pre-cruise documents for our cruise departing on March 19th clearly state two bottles per cabin

worded thus:

"Guest are not permitted to bring alcoholic beverages onboard with the exception of embarkation day when guests are permitted to bring onboard with them up to two(2)bottles of wine (which are subject to a corkage fee)per stateroom."

I think the wording is a bit odd but ultimately it appears there is a 2 bottle limit per cabin

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, yogagal47 said:

my pre-cruise documents for our cruise departing on March 19th clearly state two bottles per cabin

Celebrity IT strikes again. The limit is currently 2 bottles per person.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Not if you have a drink package.

... it does have to be either the Classic or Premium package though, not the Zero-Proof...

"Guests are not permitted to bring alcoholic beverages onboard; with the exception of embarkation day when each guest (of legal drinking age) is permitted to bring onboard up to two (2) 750 ml bottles of wine (which are subject to a corkage fee) per guest. A corkage fee does not apply to guests with the Classic Beverage Package or Premium Beverage Package."

https://www.celebritycruises.com/company/customer-support/conduct-policy#alcohol-policy

• Thanks 1

Without an alcohol drink package you have to pay the corkage fee even if consumed the wine in the cabin? How much is the corkage fee and when do they charge you? Last cruise I had the drink package but not this one. So this is all new to me.

46 minutes ago, sunonfire said:

Without an alcohol drink package you have to pay the corkage fee even if consumed the wine in the cabin?

No, the corkage fee is only charged in bars and restaurants, not in your cabin.

My WAG is that RC implemented this in response to those bringing 2 bottles in two separate carry-ons for the same cabin. With limiting one per guest, they can now limit the number of bottles per bag that come through to 1, and if more than 1 comes through in a bag they can get a headcount of the guests before letting them proceed to the ship. Surely there will still be folks who try to put an extra bottle in checked bags while carrying on one, but at least they can somewhat limit the quantity with this new policy.

For solo RC travelers, this does suck.

All in the name of increasing onboard spending!

Will it cost Celebrity money to change the policy back?  If so they will change it back.  If not, it will stay.  To me it's simple as that.

What I am more concerned about is Royal going to one daily room service.  Not a huge deal, but it's nice to have both.  I can see Celebrity considering that one as it does indeed save them money.

• Like 1