Ocean Cay yacht club cabana’s value for the $$

OP-cruisers

Good morning;

We are scheduled for a cruise on the MSC Seaside in October, 2023.  One of the things we are considering renting, is the yacht club cabana for the day.  I we were looking at the rental that includes the meal and drinks and it’s over $400.

Our question is; is this price really worth it for two people.  While I realize, you could have up to six people in there, my wife and I are traditionally quiet type travelers and don’t mingle with lots of people on cruise ships.

Has anyone ever rented the cabana before at the higher price and felt like it was worth it?  When you read the brochure, it says include scuba equipment, and flotation mats for up to four people, however neither of us snorkel.  From what I have reviewed on this subject I find very little of people saying anything, one way or the other on this would appreciate some feedback if anybody has rented this before and what should we expect? Thanks.

I've had the same Ocean Cay Yacht Club cabana 3 times. One time, the ceiling fan was broken but when we went back 3 months later, it was already fixed. We're a family of 4 so our situation is a little different. We book a cabana early then once on the ship, we let the concierge know which one that we want.

I (we) never rented a cabana on Ocean Cay.

We usually pick sun loungers and umbrella at the far end to have some privacy. Beverages and towels are provided by butlers and we have lunch in Ocean House restaurant (included in YC).

We don’t stay on Ocean House Beach the whole day, just for 2-3 hours.. the $400 are not worth for such a short stay in my opinion.

$400 can buy sports activities on Ocean Cay and/or full-day excursions in other ports.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, SirWolf said:

I (we) never rented a cabana on Ocean Cay.

We usually pick sun loungers and umbrella at the far end to have some privacy. Beverages and towels are provided by butlers and we have lunch in Ocean House restaurant (included in YC).

We don’t stay on Ocean House Beach the whole day, just for 2-3 hours.. the $400 are not worth for such a short stay in my opinion.

$400 can buy sports activities on Ocean Cay and/or full-day excursions in other ports.

Same. Usually have a couple of drinks on the beach under an umbrella, then move to the Ocean House for lunch, a walk around the island and then back to the YC pool deck. 

• Like 2

For $400 I can add another $400 and book a Seascape 7 day cruise, inside cabin, with beverage packet, WiFi and $50 OBC.

So, what are you really getting for your $400 for x number of hours? Food and drinks are already included in my fare.

Only you can answer you question. Your money, your choice. Happy Cruising!

7 hours ago, OP-cruisers said:

Good morning;

We are scheduled for a cruise on the MSC Seaside in October, 2023.  One of the things we are considering renting, is the yacht club cabana for the day.  I we were looking at the rental that includes the meal and drinks and it’s over $400.

Our question is; is this price really worth it for two people.  While I realize, you could have up to six people in there, my wife and I are traditionally quiet type travelers and don’t mingle with lots of people on cruise ships.

Has anyone ever rented the cabana before at the higher price and felt like it was worth it?  When you read the brochure, it says include scuba equipment, and flotation mats for up to four people, however neither of us snorkel.  From what I have reviewed on this subject I find very little of people saying anything, one way or the other on this would appreciate some feedback if anybody has rented this before and what should we expect? Thanks.

Remember ,if you meet some new besties on the cruise, you can invite them to share your cabana with you! 
We did this precovid, and still keep in touch!

• Like 2

I rented a Yacht Club Cabana the first time I sailed in Yacht Club. The Yacht Club beach is very rocky and not very enjoyable. I prefer renting a regular Cabana over by the lagoon and just head over to Ocean House for lunch. Or just grab a bite to eat at the food truck. 

10 hours ago, cherylnj said:

I rented a Yacht Club Cabana the first time I sailed in Yacht Club. The Yacht Club beach is very rocky and not very enjoyable. I prefer renting a regular Cabana over by the lagoon and just head over to Ocean House for lunch. Or just grab a bite to eat at the food truck. 

I’m traveling YC for the first time next week. Watching YouTube videos it looks like they designated the worst part of the island to YC and just “labeled it” premium! It appears to be the worst beach!  I like your plan.  We will have our DD and friend in an Aurea suite so think g we’ll just find a nice beach spot with them outside the “enclave” and go to Ocean House for lunch…

appreciate the advice!!  Cabanas outside YC we’re sold out when I booked…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, L1211 said:

I’m traveling YC for the first time next week. Watching YouTube videos it looks like they designated the worst part of the island to YC and just “labeled it” premium! It appears to be the worst beach!  I like your plan.  We will have our DD and friend in an Aurea suite so think g we’ll just find a nice beach spot with them outside the “enclave” and go to Ocean House for lunch…

appreciate the advice!!  Cabanas outside YC we’re sold out when I booked…

Keep checking the website to see if any cabanas open up (people may cancel). Also see if the Yacht Club concierge can work his/her magic once you're on board. Have a wonderful time 😊

7 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

I might be missing something, but I don't see why you would pay $400 for that cabana.  Seems like you get the same service under the umbrellas.

It was a one and done for me. Not worth it, in my opinion. The cabanas on the rest of the island are half the price and the beaches are way nicer 

• Like 1

Just left the Mera yesterday. I was in the YC and was on the first group off the ship at Ocean Cay. When we took the little shuttle to the YC area the maitre d came out of the restaurant and told us the restaurant will open at 12:30, bar at 11:30. Then he pointed at the beach chairs and said help yourself. 

It was incredibly windy and I just wandered over to the leeward side close by and saw all the cabanas were empty. I found a nice one and spread out on the sofa and woke up 2 hours later to a family w/attendant. "These cabanas are reserved sir."

No problem, the bar was now open. Went in and had some nice cktls and a great lobster roll. 

Incidentally, the next day in the YC grill level buffet they had more lobster rolls. Very yummy!

7 minutes ago, Wedgie Wedgie said:

It was incredibly windy and I just wandered over to the leeward side close by and saw all the cabanas were empty. I found a nice one and spread out on the sofa and woke up 2 hours later to a family w/attendant. "These cabanas are reserved sir."

Um, you went and took a nap in a cabana that you did not rent?  Not ok.  And you put a butler in an awkward situation, but, hey, you do you.

In answer to the OP, you get all the drinks & food you want on the beach.  No need for a Cabana for 2 at YC in my opinion.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

Um, you went and took a nap in a cabana that you did not rent?  Not ok. 

Scold away mom. No reserved signs anywhere and nobody around. They are not very nice cabanas, the furniture is beat up and there is no bathroom. Price was right though!

41 minutes ago, Wedgie Wedgie said:

Just left the Mera yesterday. I was in the YC and was on the first group off the ship at Ocean Cay. When we took the little shuttle to the YC area the maitre d came out of the restaurant and told us the restaurant will open at 12:30, bar at 11:30. Then he pointed at the beach chairs and said help yourself. 

No problem, the bar was now open. Went in and had some nice cktls and a great lobster roll. 

Incidentally, the next day in the YC grill level buffet they had more lobster rolls. Very yummy!

Hey!  We sail the Mera in YC Sunday.  How was the bar stocked?  Able to get nicer wine and spirits??  Any “must not miss” from menus??  Thanks!

45 minutes ago, Wedgie Wedgie said:

No reserved signs anywhere and nobody around.

OceanCayCabana-scaled.jpg?width=1920

IMG_1802.thumb.jpg.5291dd6bdc5fff14ee645

Usually, there are reserved signs hanging somewhere.

You might have missed it. An honest mistake isn't the same as intentionally using something that is reserved for someone else. If you missed the sign, a sign wasn't there, or if you didn't know that those cabanas are only for the people who booked them, I'd say that you made a mistake. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only

3 hours ago, L1211 said:

I’m traveling YC for the first time next week. Watching YouTube videos it looks like they designated the worst part of the island to YC and just “labeled it” premium! It appears to be the worst beach!  I like your plan.

I find myself wondering why MSC chose the worst beach to designate for YC guests.

4 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I find myself wondering why MSC chose the worst beach to designate for YC guests.

I read, I think on this board, that when they were re-furbishing the island this beach was dredged and the entrance was smooth.  But a large storm caused erosion and either moved the rocks in or exposed them.  If you look at the island on a map, the YC beach faces NE towards the open ocean.

Edited by KennyFla
  • Like 1

Once again for the nonbelievers......

The YC beach is indeed VERY rocky...

BUT if you go to the YC restaurant & then to the left for a very short distance & then down,

You are on a beautiful sandy beach. Indeed it is YC because there is a butler there to take care of you & free mats & umbrellas.

We have been there ! But, there are people that still dispute this....fine with me because it is not crowded !

I think this area was created a few years ago by dredging up tons of sand.  I guess it was possible there but not in the main YC beach areas because they had already put the cabanas there & it might be a bit too rocky to smooth out.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Shippy said:

Once again for the nonbelievers......

BUT if you go to the YC restaurant & then to the left for a very short distance & then down,

You are on a beautiful sandy beach. Indeed it is YC because there is a butler there to take care of you & free mats & umbrellas.

We have been there ! But, there are people that still dispute this....fine with me because it is not crowded !

Hum.... when was this?  I thought only the service kitchen was to the "left" 

2 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

Hum.... when was this?  I thought only the service kitchen was to the "left" 

We were there last year. It is not a service kitchen but a small restaurant.

It has plenty of outdoor seating. Not many tables inside but we were able to get one.

It was very hot  outside.

The YC shuttle back to the ship stops right there.

30 minutes ago, Shippy said:

We were there last year. It is not a service kitchen but a small restaurant.

It has plenty of outdoor seating. Not many tables inside but we were able to get one.

It was very hot  outside.

The YC shuttle back to the ship stops right there.

Sorry, not correct, but the building to the left is actually the service kitchen where the food is prepared for the YC. It’s a separate building. 

7 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

Sorry, not correct, but the building to the left is actually the service kitchen where the food is prepared for the YC. It’s a separate building. 

I stand CORRECTED.

The beach area I am talking about is to the RIGHT of the restaurant, not the left !

I am unaware of a service kitchen.

Just now, Shippy said:

I stand CORRECTED.

The beach area I am talking about is to the RIGHT of the restaurant, not the left !

I am unaware of a service kitchen.

Now I really have confused myself    :O)

Just go PASSED the rocky beach but you have to go up by the restaurant & then over.a slight hill.

You cannot see this area from the rocky beach area where the cabanas are but it is only a few minutes walk.