Azamara Onward condition

crusinbanjo

Hi All:  Mrs Banjo and I are considering a first time cruise on Azamara Onward.  WE are experienced cruisers and have cruised on this ship when she was the Pacific Princess, some years ago.

Can somebody comment on the ship's overall condition? WE are hoping it is in good shape and are looking forward to a B to B on her in January 2024.  Thanks in advance

We sailed on Onward in January in a Club Continent Suite. Everything worked as advertised. In a Q & A with Captain it was apparent they had many challenges to overcome in order to launch last May. All the pipes were replaced. There were areas that flooring had to be replaced.

A passenger on the maiden voyage showed me pictures that showed the ship was not ready to be launched.

Well, the ship looked pretty good on our cruise and they are constantly working on keeping it that way.

Crew was great, food warm and good and this cruise confirmed to us that we will be fine cruising in that same suite for 155 days on next years World Voyage.

• Like 6

We were on Onward last week, Feb 12 - Feb 28, Lima to Miami.

I thought Onward was in great condition. The interior looks mostly brand-new.

The assistant cruise director said that Princess basically trashed the interior when they laid up Pacific Princess for Covid. Princess stored all kinds of junk inside the ship. As a result, Azamara had to replace or refinish almost everything you see in the interior.

IMHO, the result looks very good.

A couple of niggles that had absolutely no impact on our enjoyment of the cruise:

1) They painted over the Pacific Princess white hull with Azamara blue. Some of the blue paint is coming off, especially at the waterline,  showing the white paint underneath. Looks like a bad paint job.

AzamaraOnwardWhitePaint.thumb.jpg.b60ccabc9b3decac1f82b1b20414fbbb.jpg

2) They replaced the fans on the pool deck, underneath the jogging track. They look like some cheap POS that you might buy from a liquidation store for $20 each - not something I would want on my home, let alone a moving ship. The fans are already broken and inoperative. This fan is supposed to have four blades. It only has three. If you turned it on, it would vibrate so bad as to be a hazard to passengers below.

AzamaraOnward3bladefan.thumb.jpg.a57a71c991bcedc99fb5770f7c42a801.jpg

Edited by Mercruiser
  • Haha 1

We were on Onward in October-November..  The ship was still being worked on in a few places then and we had to dodge some workers in the halls, near elevators on upper deck (don't remember exactly where). but I would hope that work has been completed by now.  

We were in a standard verandah and I was somewhat dismayed to see that the desk and mirror and cabinets were not changed out.  Our desk had a broken hinge on one door, but a call got it fixed right away.

FYI - quite by accident, last week I found this article on our cruise with lots of photos done by an online cruise magazine:  

https://www.cruiseturtle.com/cruise-ships/azamara-onwa

Edited by the mice
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, the mice said:

We were on Onward in October-November..  The ship was still being worked on in a few places then and we had to dodge some workers in the halls, near elevators on upper deck (don't remember exactly where). but I would hope that work has been completed by now.  

We were in a standard verandah and I was somewhat dismayed to see that the desk and mirror and cabinets were not changed out.  Our desk had a broken hinge on one door, but a call got it fixed right away.

FYI - quite by accident, last week I found this article on our cruise with lots of photos done by an online cruise magazine:  

https://www.cruiseturtle.com/cruise-ships/azamara-onwa

Thank you for posting the article. I really enjoyed it.  Makes me feel better about our booked Onward cruise 12/24. I hope it wasn't just a whitewash article but accurate.

7 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Thank you for posting the article. I really enjoyed it.  Makes me feel better about our booked Onward cruise 12/24. I hope it wasn't just a whitewash article but accurate.

One of the better articles I have seen, lots of information with any embellishment, only misinformation was that Onward was Pacific Princess not Ocean Princess. Also didn’t continually use the word luxury as others have done, description was instead boutique which is much more accurate.

• Like 3

I agree that she is in great shape (or was back in December), but there were a handful of minor, relatively inconsequential things like what @Mercruiser mentioned.  Along those lines, some of the speakers out at the pool weren't working.  Given recent history, we certainly could understand that they would need to take care of such things while at sea and with passengers on board.  That can take a while to run down all the punch list items or little things that pop up.

We had a fantastic cruise and would go back on board Onward without hesitating.

• Like 3

On Onward just now.  Ship is in excellent condition.

Our cabin, CC suite 8020 is in great condition, obviously refitted.

Steward and butler, faultless.

Cruise Director is not De Gray chap as we expected but a Scots guy, Martin ( I think, not exactly sure) . He is ok, not memorable.

Enjoying cruise very much.

• Thanks 2

I heard that Eric will be back on the 18th. 
We are also currently on Onward. At the end of this current cruise, we will have spent 40 nights in same CC cabin since June. And we are booked again, same cabin for Nov. trans Atlantic. Obviously, we are very satisfied with Onward. Our Butler and cabin steward are also faultless. After 18 glorious days this trip, we are sad to leave on Sat.

We like Martin, the CD very much.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, scottie99 said:

On Onward just now.  Ship is in excellent condition.

Our cabin, CC suite 8020 is in great condition, obviously refitted.

Steward and butler, faultless.

Cruise Director is not De Gray chap as we expected but a Scots guy, Martin ( I think, not exactly sure) . He is ok, not memorable.

Enjoying cruise very much.

How was embarkation in Gran Canaria? 

What time did it start and did you have a separate group for suite guests?

Thank you for any information you can provide.

2 hours ago, Laganlady02 said:

How was embarkation in Gran Canaria? 

What time did it start and did you have a separate group for suite guests?

Thank you for any information you can provide.

We were allocated 2.30 pm embarkation. We arrived 1.45 and were aboard in less than 30 mins.  Lines were fairly long but moved quickly and were well organised.

once dropping luggage, there was a separate line for suites.

Cabins were available immediately and luggage arrived very quickly. 

Azamara handled whole process very well

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, luvkoko said:

I will sail first time on Azamara 3/25/2023 from Gran Canaria. Is there a daily planner for ship activities? Curious when the times are for entertainment. Thank you.

The daily planner is called "The Insider" and is left in your room each evening for the following day.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, luvkoko said:

I will sail first time on Azamara 3/25/2023 from Gran Canaria. Is there a daily planner for ship activities? Curious when the times are for entertainment. Thank you.

Do pop over and join us on the roll call, we are a friendly bunch.
Rosalyn

21 hours ago, Melissaghoti said:

I take a picture of ‘The Insider’ schedule to avoid carrying it around all day.

Wouldn't it be easier to fold it up and carry it around in your pocket rather than having to carry your phone around?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, macmax said:

Wouldn't it be easier to fold it up and carry it around in your pocket rather than having to carry your phone around?

Speaking for my DW, she rarely has pockets, but she always has her phone.

Edited by Mercruiser
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Its also a great idea to have a photo of the front page with you when you are ashore so you have access to the port agents details, location name of the dock etc. Bits of paper can get lost!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, macmax said:

If you have T-Mobile, you always carry your phone because you always have free text and data coverage.  So then the camera (and camera roll) is also available 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1