Iona Norwegian Fjords in May

Yes, we have done this cruise in May twice. On both occasions we were lucky with the weather, and in fact we swam in the pool it was so warm. At that time of year there is still plenty of snow around, and the waterfalls are at there best with the snowmelt. In my opinion, the best time to visit.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Kittyonions said:

Yes, we have done this cruise in May twice. On both occasions we were lucky with the weather, and in fact we swam in the pool it was so warm. At that time of year there is still plenty of snow around, and the waterfalls are at there best with the snowmelt. In my opinion, the best time to visit.

Thanks Kitty

That's great to  hear

We visited the Fjords in May, be prepared for any weather. 

On the same 7 night cruise we were sunbathing and dodging torrential rain... 

The scenery was absolutely stunning. 

Would have no hesitation in going in May again. 

Andy 

• Like 2

Also been early May.  Weather a bit variable - best take layers.  They'd had a late fall of snow and there was snow on the mountain tops - looked magical.  Like others, I'd have no worries going again in May. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Hoping this will be our next cruise?

My wife has seen a YouTube video and gave it the thumbs up!!

Anyone on here done the same or similar cruise that time of year?

Any tips or advice or warnings?

We went last July and had an amazing time.iona is perfect for this cruise because of the amount of windows she has in the atrium. We would definitely do this cruise again. One tip..get up early and watch coming through the fjords sitting on your balcony..magical 

• Like 1

We went to Norway on Iona 21st May last year and loved it. Weather was mixed, we had heavy rain in Olden and sunshine & blue sky in Haugesund. We couldn’t dock at Stavanger due to weather issues.

Haugesund was our least favourite port but it was a national holiday so most places were closed which didn’t help. 
We enjoyed it so much that we are going back to Norway on Britannia at the end of May ‘24

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Just 47 said:

We went last July and had an amazing time.iona is perfect for this cruise because of the amount of windows she has in the atrium. We would definitely do this cruise again. One tip..get up early and watch coming through the fjords sitting on your balcony..magical 

What time do you suggest?

I believe its light very early. I assume the ship is sailing through the fjords throughout the night?

And docks early each day?

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

12 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I believe its light very early. I assume the ship is sailing through the fjords throughout the night?

I was awake looking at the scenery from the balcony around 5:30am and out on deck with my camera around 6am. The rest of my family didn’t wake up until after 8 and missed the sail ins.

What’s your itinerary? 
Ours was Stavanger (coastal) , Olden (fjord) Hellesylt (fjord) & Haugesund (coastal)

• Like 1

We did Iceland & Norway with Princess early August some years ago & the weather was mixed,first sea day in the Irish Sea & most passengers were wearing coats,hats,gloves,scarves,etc.,they were not a hardy bunch!

we were lucky in Bergen,it was sunny until about 0900hrs,just time to take the funcular to get the mountain view before the rain set in.

is Iona really too big for Bergen,we berthe d at the container terminal & were bussed to the centre,surprised if she can't do the same.

Edited by snaefell

11 hours ago, Yorkypete said:

That’s ok….Iona cannot visit Bergman as it is too big.

That is such a shame as it can't get under the bridge. Why did they build it so big? Bergeb is one of the best ports? The I think thereare lots of things with the design, no draweres in the cabins being one of tthem/

• Host Sharon changed the title to Iona Norwegian Fjords in May

May is our favourite time for the Fjords, and our Fjords cruises also just have to be our favourites! The weather has indeed been mixed - we've had blazing sun and 28C in Olden and 6C with heavy rain in Geiranger, so just be prepared for anything! The waterfalls are magical at that time of the year as the snow is melting, do make sure to watch both the sail in and sail out of the fjord ports if viewing from your balcony, or get a good spot outside high up to be able to take in the full view.

If it's later in May, then you'll notice it doesn't get completely dark at any time as you go further north.

What's the itinerary? Whatever it is, I'm sure you would have an amazing time.

7 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

You cruise through the fjords in the day time too. They just fold around the ship as you sail through. Fabulous scenery. There should still be snow on the mountain tops and plenty of melting snow feeding the waterfalls. It’s one of my favourite times to visit.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, snaefell said:

We did Iceland & Norway with Princess early August some years ago & the weather was mixed,first sea day in the Irish Sea & most passengers were wearing coats,hats,gloves,scarves,etc.,they were not a hardy bunch!

we were lucky in Bergen,it was sunny until about 0900hrs,just time to take the funcular to get the mountain view before the rain set in.

is Iona really too big for Bergen,we berthe d at the container terminal & were bussed to the centre,surprised if she can't do the same.

Apparently she is too big to go under the bridge!

Just be aware that if you are a keen photographer the open decks on Iona do not lend themselves to get the best pictures ( due to the high protective screens, presumably to provide shelter from wind) . We ended up balanced on the top of one of the hot tubs, luckily no worry of swell or rolling in the fjords. If you have a balcony cabin, that is the best place to get pictures, but obviously only one side on way in, and repeat on the way out!

• Like 2