Crystal Press releases

Txcotn

https://www.crystalcruises.com/press/crystal-exceptional-at-sea

Those 9 restaurants would be Waterside, Bistro, Tastes, Market Place, Osteria, Vintage Room, Grill, Scoops, Room service. Anyone see a bit of misleading here?

If I were a first time Crystal guest, expecting such a variety of places for dinner, NINE restaurants, I would be sorely disappointed!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

The press release quotes "nine dining options" which is in line with the way other cruise lines promote their dining options in their marketing.  I read to the end of the release and notice the descriptor changes to state "nine restaurants" under the "Food & Beverage" header.  You are correct, that is rather misleading especially to new guests looking to book. I wonder whether this is another example of an inexperienced person doing the write-up and nobody is proof reading.  In any case, I am sure they will eventually correct that but good catch!

Edited by goldengatecruisers
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, goldengatecruisers said:

The press release quotes "nine dining options" which is in line with the way other cruise lines promote their dining options in their marketing.  I read to the end of the release and notice the descriptor changes to state "nine restaurants" under the "Food & Beverage" header.  You are correct, that is rather misleading especially to new guests looking to book. I wonder whether this is another example of an inexperienced person doing the write-up and nobody is proof reading.  In any case, I am sure they will eventually correct that but good catch!

It is also evidence that those writing the content have never been on the ships.  Same as the agents selling the cruises.  NC office staff (including those working from home and/or offshore) are inexperienced.  I think corporate offices thousands of miles apart also contribute - little opportunity to walk down the hall and run something by a colleague.  We are going to see this again and again - e.g. shorex.  Despite NC bringing back senior officials and (hopefully) ships' crews returning.  Staff without experience is now common throughout the tourism industry in post-Covid times.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, suzeluvscruz said:

True but calling Scoops and Room Service “restaurant” or even “dining venue” is quite a stretch. 

Shocking really and the way NC tells us all that the line is award winning and all that stuff.

Stretching the truth somewhat.

It'll catch a few that don't know I suppose

• Like 3

Is that really a restaurant or dining venue? The term implies there are multiple places for dinner when in fact there aren't so many as some are limited or come with a hefty price tag (Vintage Room).

If multiple dining opportunities are important to one’s vacation experience, there are many other opportunities other than the controlled dining environments of a cruise ship. Multiple dining choices are important to some and irrelevant to others. Over the years, we’ve had our most memorable dining experiences off ship and ashore than onboard any cruise ship. 

Maybe worth noting though, that Waterside's concept evolved to the point where there was more choice than a standard MDR, with a selection a several always available menu items, more always available things that were not listed, and two complete (classic and modern) menus that changed every night. That's certainly more choice than you get in a mass market MDR. I don't know how it compares to the other three luxury lines. And we don't know how that's going to be going forward though it seems they're rehiring a lot of the same hospitality leads so, you'd think it will be similar.

Edited by Embowaf

22 hours ago, Embowaf said:

Maybe worth noting though, that Waterside's concept evolved to the point where there was more choice than a standard MDR, with a selection a several always available menu items, more always available things that were not listed, and two complete (classic and modern) menus that changed every night. 

I agree. I loved the old Waterside and thought it was just as good as the specialty restaurants, in every way. I hope that carries forward.

• Like 3

Don’t know if this topic has come up already, but I’ve been following Riverside river cruises who bought Crystal Mozart and are launching in April.  They’ve mostly kept the names from Crystal (Waterside, The Vintage Room) and lightly renamed the Bistro (it’s named the Blue Bar Grill but they refer to it as the Bistro).  Did New Crystal and Riverside both get rights to the old Crystal dining venue names, or are they generic enough that anyone could use them?  They also have Symphony, Harmony, and Seahorse decks. 

Also, Mark Farris is on board Mozart right now (following a few months on Silversea) and there are a number of former Crystal crew that remained with the Mozart. Interesting. Wonder how the cruising experience is under the new Riverside ownership. I would love to cruise on the Mozart (or any of the other four former Crystal river cruises).

5 hours ago, claudiaYVR said:

Also, Mark Farris is on board Mozart right now (following a few months on Silversea) and there are a number of former Crystal crew that remained with the Mozart. Interesting. Wonder how the cruising experience is under the new Riverside ownership. I would love to cruise on the Mozart (or any of the other four former Crystal river cruises).

This includes the Captain and one of the Hotel Directors.  In addition to the wonderful crew and amenities for us it was a perfect size river vessel.  The only negative on its size is it limits its itinerary.  

Keith

• Like 1