Shore Excursions…so disappointed!

7 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

I agree that if a tour is fully booked… it was still offered. Please understand my issue. If there are no tours offered for limited mobility folks, it does not meet the criteria . If there are no tours offered, the advertising is false. 
sheila

And this is happening. On our TA leaving from Miami on April 5, there are no excursions for limited mobility folks on our Azores stop.

Edited by ysolde

I think people have to stop taking things so literally.  "Unlimited excursions" mean simply means that you can book as many or as few as you like.  We've booked 2 excursions in a few ports.  We weren't "limited" to "one excursion per port" like some other luxury cruise lines.   

As to mobility impaired, in many of the ports we've visited on our cruises an "accessible excursion" is offered.  It's specifically FOR the mobility impaired.   However places like St. Barts simply doesn't offer one.  I checked other cruise lines that go there (there aren't that many) and ALL excursions listed were the very same offered by Regent (we go in Dec.).  So apparently it's NOT Regent's fault that no mobility impaired excursion is offered, it's simply not available in the port.  And I will say, the DO offer a semi-submersible excursion that states "Those with mobility concerns should evaluate their stamina and ability before joining the tour," so there is an option depending.  

We have also been to ports where excursions simply weren't available.  Fakarava Atoll in French Polynesia for example.  Again, simply the nature of the port.  

If mandating a guarantee that an excursion is available "in every port" or for those with mobility issues "in every port," St. Barts, Fakarava Atoll, et.al. would no longer be offered.  That would be a shame. 

And as to the comment about alcohol, since I was one of those to make it, drinking alcohol is not always a "choice."  Many people have medical reasons why they can't drink.  So just like mobility issues, medical issues are the same.  

• Like 3

Could this be a rather slow and passive/ aggressive marketing approach to appeal to a younger and less sedentary demographic? I'm not quite understanding why there are so may problems. We do not use the excursions. Are the Regent premium pay situations any better?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

I think people have to stop taking things so literally.  "Unlimited excursions" mean simply means that you can book as many or as few as you like.  We've booked 2 excursions in a few ports.  We weren't "limited" to "one excursion per port" like some other luxury cruise lines.   

As to mobility impaired, in many of the ports we've visited on our cruises an "accessible excursion" is offered.  It's specifically FOR the mobility impaired.   However places like St. Barts simply doesn't offer one.  I checked other cruise lines that go there (there aren't that many) and ALL excursions listed were the very same offered by Regent (we go in Dec.).  So apparently it's NOT Regent's fault that no mobility impaired excursion is offered, it's simply not available in the port.  And I will say, the DO offer a semi-submersible excursion that states "Those with mobility concerns should evaluate their stamina and ability before joining the tour," so there is an option depending.  

We have also been to ports where excursions simply weren't available.  Fakarava Atoll in French Polynesia for example.  Again, simply the nature of the port.  

If mandating a guarantee that an excursion is available "in every port" or for those with mobility issues "in every port," St. Barts, Fakarava Atoll, et.al. would no longer be offered.  That would be a shame. 

And as to the comment about alcohol, since I was one of those to make it, drinking alcohol is not always a "choice."  Many people have medical reasons why they can't drink.  So just like mobility issues, medical issues are the same.  

Precisely my point about alcohol.  DH and I do not drink because it is contraindicated with medication each of us take.  No big deal, really.  Imagine, however, if Regent's approach to beverages were the same as it is to excursions: Regent is an all-inclusive cruise line.  As such, it will provide tap water and alcoholic beverages, thus meeting the needs of the vast majority of its guests.  For those guests who wish to drink coffee, tea, bottled water, juice, and soda, you are welcome to do so, of course, in every port.  At your own expense.  Regent is aware that guests get thirsty, so remember that guests who choose to go out and drink coffee and soda on their own need to be back on board in a timely manner!  Regent will not be responsible for guests who go out non-Regent supervised Diet Coke Breaks, so be warned.  And, of course, we would have lots of people here telling us that Regent regularly runs out of their favorite wine (so it is totally the same thing as not providing anything to drink for an entire category of passengers at all); that people who don't drink alcohol should know their limits and spend their cruise drinking tap water (because, presumably, that's all people who don't drink alcohol drink, don't cha know?); and implying that their presence is almost ruining it on the fancy ship with all the pretty people, so quit yer kvetching,

• Like 1

4 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Thanks for your support… hope one day you don’t have my issues! Then you will understand how I feel….

11 minutes ago, mrstanley said:

Regent offers NO shore excursions in Dutch Harbor, Alaska.

What a wasted day.

Disagree with your comment. Found the stop interesting and enjoyed going ashore after several sea days in a rough Bering Sea. No way was the day wasted. Do not need a shore excursion in every port to enjoy the stop.

• Like 4

On 3/24/2023 at 2:02 PM, rcandkc said:

I would like to get back on topic and know if Regent has acknowledged and apologized for the OP’s treatment and mishandling. 

I would too! What was Regent’s response? 

If Regent's included wines are deemed unacceptable, there are those who complain and those who are willing to pay extra for a better wine.

If Regent's included excursions are deemed unacceptable, there are those who complain and those who are willing to pay extra for an independent tour.

Neither is wrong.  It's just how different people react when their expectations aren't met. I've found myself on both sides.  I will admit, I'm often happier when I just bite the bullet and pay up for a solution rather than let the shortcoming impact my enjoyment.  Life is short.  Problems have solutions - sometimes you have to pay for them even if you feel you shouldn't. Your choice.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, mnocket said:

If Regent's included wines are deemed unacceptable, there are those who complain and those who are willing to pay extra for a better wine.

If Regent's included excursions are deemed unacceptable, there are those who complain and those who are willing to pay extra for an independent tour.

Neither is wrong.  It's just how different people react when their expectations aren't met. I've found myself on both sides.  I will admit, I'm often happier when I just bite the bullet and pay up for a solution rather than let the shortcoming impact my enjoyment.  Life is short.  Problems have solutions - sometimes you have to pay for them even if you feel you shouldn't. Your choice.

This is not about unacceptable excursions.  This is about excursions not being available at all to an entire category of passengers.  If, when you went to book excursions, in some ports no excursions could be booked by passengers of color, would that be just as acceptable, since (presumably) passengers of color would then be able to pay extra for an independent tour?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Nothing!

sheila

Not surprised. While there are 3 yes 3 sides to every story, yours mine and the actual appears from the comments the captain of the boat refused boarding and that is outside Regents control and responsibility. As to the attitude of the Regent destinations person if true has been historically typical of that department and Regent typically supports their employees and if not does not comment as is typical of most companies on internal issues. 

All that could be expected would be a refund if an extra cost tour. 

20 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Thanks for your support… hope one day you don’t have my issues! Then you will understand how I feel….

You have absolutely NO idea what issues I have or don't have.  When I book an excursion I read the "disclaimer."  There are lots of excursions I can't go on.  So I don't book them.  

I know EXACTLY which excursion you booked because it's the one I want to take when we go to St. Barts in Dec.  And the disclaimer  clearly says "The tour is not available to wheelchair guests or to those with mobility concerns."  You booked a tour that specifically said was "not available" to you due to your "mobility concerns" and are angry at Regent for not letting you board the boat.  I'm not advocating in any way the treatment you got from the Shore Excursion Rep, but I don't think you are being fair in thinking YOU should have some sort of "special exemption" from the published restrictions.  

By the way, The Semi-Submersible tour disclaimer states "Those with mobility concerns should evaluate their stamina and ability before joining the tour."  That might have been a better selection for you as it would have allowed you to make the evaluation as to your personal restrictions. 

• Like 6

Although the disclaimer mentions mobility issues I think it really isn't that cut and dry.  It was a boat ride with a swim which IMO could be interpreted as the swim isn't for people with mobility issues but the boat ride would be ok.  I think in this attached video from another thread (~8:40 on the video)  may be the actual excursion, seems to me if you could get on the tender you could get on the excursion boat, but that's me

https://youtu.be/KwUaKX9vcqw

Now I haven't made a mistake since the mid '70s but errors do happen.  So even if Shiela picked an excursion that was too physically demanding it would have been nice to inform her along the way.  Like when she met with destination services (if it came up), when they gave her the ticket to get on the bus or the minute she got off the bus.   There is no way I see that its acceptable to take her ticket at the boat, make her wait and then tell her she couldn't board.  It would also have been nice if someone from management reached out to her afterwards, especially considering that they are such loyal clients.

Edited by RetiredandTravel
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Yes..I spoke with him the same day as the incident. 

Hi Sheila,

What was his reaction? Did he offer to take up the issue with Destinations staff?

What was the outcome of your discussion?

We have always found that Regent GMs close out issues brought to their attention.

Edited by flossie009

1 hour ago, flossie009 said:

Hi Sheila,

What was his reaction? Did he offer to take up the issue with Destinations staff?

What was the outcome of your discussion?

We have always found that Regent GMs close out issues brought to their attention.

I brought the matter to his attention. He listened. Never got back to me…

I spoke with folks in the main office. Still waiting to hear from them also…

sheila

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers
  • Thanks 1

On 3/26/2023 at 1:37 PM, cwn said:

Disagree with your comment. Found the stop interesting and enjoyed going ashore after several sea days in a rough Bering Sea. No way was the day wasted. Do not need a shore excursion in every port to enjoy the stop.

I woukd hit the local bar and try to have a beer with one of the guys from Deadliest Catch....

1 hour ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Although the disclaimer mentions mobility issues I think it really isn't that cut and dry.  It was a boat ride with a swim which IMO could be interpreted as the swim isn't for people with mobility issues but the boat ride would be ok.  I think in this attached video from another thread (~8:40 on the video)  may be the actual excursion, seems to me if you could get on the tender you could get on the excursion boat, but that's me

https://youtu.be/KwUaKX9vcqw

Now I haven't made a mistake since the mid '70s but errors do happen.  So even if Shiela picked an excursion that was too physically demanding it would have been nice to inform her along the way.  Like when she met with destination services (if it came up), when they gave her the ticket to get on the bus or the minute she got off the bus.   There is no way I see that its acceptable to take her ticket at the boat, make her wait and then tell her she couldn't board.  It would also have been nice if someone from management reached out to her afterwards, especially considering that they are such loyal clients.

Further explanation is necessary. 
I checked with the Destinations Manager regarding this tour on St. Barts. It was a catamaran boat.  No problem getting on. I have done them many times. Five steps. I can do that. I do not swim or snorkel. Just relax in the boat until we get off. Then back to the tender. That’s why she thought it would be fine. The semi submarine has 10 steep steps. Not good for me to get off. 
I do check everything out carefully. Two reasons..to make sure I can handle it and to avoid interfering with other guests.  
any questions…just ask. 
sheila

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Further explanation is necessary. 
I checked with the Destinations Manager regarding this tour on St. Barts. It was a catamaran boat.  No problem getting on. I have done them many times. Five steps. I can do that. I do not swim or snorkel. Just relax in the boat until we get off. Then back to the tender. That’s why she thought it would be fine. The semi submarine has 10 steep steps. Not good for me to get off. 
I do check everything out carefully. Two reasons..to make sure I can handle it and to avoid interfering with other guests.  
any questions…just ask. 
sheila

If I recall in a past post you mentioned you are on O2 via nasal cannula  .Could that have been the reason the sailboat captain refused to let you board ? 

19 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Although the disclaimer mentions mobility issues I think it really isn't that cut and dry.  It was a boat ride with a swim which IMO could be interpreted as the swim isn't for people with mobility issues but the boat ride would be ok. 

"The tour is not available to wheelchair guests or to those with mobility concerns."  Pretty "cut and dry." 

Not seeing much room for interpretation. 

On 3/26/2023 at 6:21 PM, mrstanley said:

Regent offers NO shore excursions in Dutch Harbor, Alaska.

What a wasted day.

I am a bit slow to respond to this one, but oh my, if ever there was a day not wasted, it was the one in Dutch Harbor!  No need of excursions - there's a shuttle bus into town and the most delightful people awaiting the arrival.  There's a couple of interesting museums, a beautiful church and enough fresh air to fill your lungs for quite some time.  There's a coffee shop in the hotel should you need a break and glorious scenery all around.   (read about our day here)

Look forward to a stop in Unalaska - how fortunate we were to be able to visit!

Edited by Gilly
Forgot to mention the wildlife: eagles everywhere
  • Like 6