Global Entry Renewal

klfrodo

Curious if anyone out there has recently applied for and received their renewal.

Curious about the time frame you experienced? Were you notified? Or did you just continue to monitor by visiting the website?

I'm coming up on 4 months and according to the website, I'm still in a "Pending" phase.

Yes, I am aware that since the renewal process has been started, that my expiration has been extended and should still be good for my travel plans.

4 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Curious if anyone out there has recently applied for and received their renewal.

Curious about the time frame you experienced? Were you notified? Or did you just continue to monitor by visiting the website?

I'm coming up on 4 months and according to the website, I'm still in a "Pending" phase.

Yes, I am aware that since the renewal process has been started, that my expiration has been extended and should still be good for my travel plans.

Did you do your interview or are still waiting on that even?

3 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

If an interview will be required for a renewal, I’m waiting for that also.

ah sorry I thought you were applying for the first time. When I did my initial interview it was pretty quick that I heard back. About 1-2 weeks. 

• 2 months later...

I just received my newGlobal Entry Card in the mail last week. I don’t remember the time frame but I know it was not that long ago perhaps 7 weeks. I received an email stating there were updates to my application. It went from conditional to approved in a little over a month. I got my new card after another 2 weeks. I just did my husband’s. Almost immediately he got a conditional approval for his renewal. I did mark that we would be traveling overseas and could do the interview upon arrival back into the US. I don’t know if that makes a difference. We will see how long my husband’s takes.

• Thanks 1

On 3/16/2023 at 11:37 AM, klfrodo said:

CBP says waits are now up to 11 months for GE.  But don't feel bad - SENTRI for Mexico times are around 16 months and NEXUS is 18-24 months.

One thing to note.  Even though the CBP says that you have an additional 12 months of grace time after your scheduled expiration, the real time frame is that your GE benefits extend for as long as the renewal takes to process, even if that extends beyond the 12 months.  That is, if you got your renewal application in before the original expiration date.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2023 at 12:38 PM, FlyerTalker said:

But don't feel bad - SENTRI for Mexico times are around 16 months and NEXUS is 18-24 months.

I can understand NEXUS taking longer as it is a joint program with Canada.  My gut suggest the processing times for anything USCIS-related is being blown out longer and longer due to the craziness on the southern border and the workload that is creating.

BTW - SENTRI became a less worthwhile program as it does not automatically include Global Entry benefits and Global Entry users can now register cars for crossing into Mexico.  The only time SENTRI works out is if you are applying as a family with kids and then it can be cheaper.  Once you get SENTRI, you need to get another appointment to get Global Entry benefits added to your SENTRI card for air travel.  Next time I will simply reapply under Global Entry and save money (SENTRI is more expensive) and hassle.

Global Entry renewal seems to be hit or miss.  My son submitted his renewal last September 2022 and he is still in pending status.  My wife filed for her renewal in January 2023 and is still in pending status whereas I filed for my renewal 3 days after she filed and I was approved within 1 week.  No interview required and I already received my new card.  Go figure!!

I submitted mine the first week in June -- have 6 months left on my current renewal.

Received a conditional approval within 24 hours.  Scheduled the interview locally for November. A week later received approval (without the interview).

Some caveats and suggestions.

If you are traveling overseas -- you can do the interview on arrival to the US in the immigration hall.

Process has been hit miss.  My wife needed a renewal interview.  Me -- I have about 40 countries in my application I have visited in last 3 years.  I regularly travel. This is my 4th time I have gone through the process and was a beta tester on the program when they rolled it out at Dulles.  I was a tester on the pre 9/11 program.

My interview was scheduled at our small local county airport with a customs office and could have been the officer had some free time and was trying to clear the calendar.

It is certainly well worth the effort.  Also many FF plans and credit cards will pay the fee.

Edited by PaulMCO

If any one has any doubts about renewing GE...today's experience at SFO...arrived from CDG at a little after 11am. Easily 500 people in line for standard Immigration procedures. 12 GE Kiosks, about 5 available when we walked up...breezed through in less than 10 minutes total for the two of us. The only thing that hung us up was a family of two adults, and two kids in their early teens. The parents had GE, the kids didn't and tried to slide by with their parents. The agent sent the kids to regular Immigration...which, again, was over 500 people long, at least.

We hadn't flown into SFO since before Covid, so the procedure was a little different. We walked up to the kiosk, and were directed to center on the camera for a picture. That took about a minute per person, then processing took another 30 seconds, maybe, and we were told to "go forward in the process", which meant getting in line to meet an agent. After clearing the family with two teenagers, the agent addressed us by name as we approached...our pictures and info were on his screen. He asked if we had anything to declare. We said no, and he said "welcome home, have a good day". He never looked at our passport. We walked out to ground transport.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 6 months later...

I turned in my renewal a couple of months ago.  Still waiting.  Not worrying, because as long as a renewal is turned in before your membership expires, there is a grace period when you may still use GE until your renewal is approved.

5 hours ago, 6rugrats said:

I turned in my renewal a couple of months ago.  Still waiting.  Not worrying, because as long as a renewal is turned in before your membership expires, there is a grace period when you may still use GE until your renewal is approved.

You're absolutely correct. My last international trip was 6 months after the official expiration, but I did start the renewal process prior to the actual expiration date, and I had no issue when returning to the States.

My concern or anxiety was that there is no way to get any information about your renewal application once it's submitted. The web site just stayed at Pending. I drove up to the airport where they do the interviews to see if they could give me any update such as it's still in the queue, it's been flagged for further investigation, or whatever. Nope, no info but here call this number in DC and they can help. The number turns into the phone tree from hell that at the end gives you a recording that they can't provide further information.