Why No Premium Coffee With Drink Packages?

IsanTom

I have sailed only twice on NCL since they lost my records of 20-25 cruises from the 80's & 90's, so we only choose NCL when they have a good destination cruise.

I enjoy good premium coffee in the morning, but it appears Starbucks will be our only choice. Is that true on NCL Sun and other NCL ships and coffees are not included in our drink packages? Is this a cost cutting scheme that NCL has instituted lately? Also I heard their Entertainment Budget was reduced substantially

and some great shows have been cancelled. Our Panama Cruise on the Sun is not cheap, so what's going on with all the cost cutting? I understand the Covid 

shutdowns caused losses, but we cruised three times in 2021, Royal, Celebrity and MSC Yacht Club, and we didn't notice any extreme cost cutting. We also cruised

four times in 2022, three transatlantics and a Med Cruise. We enjoyed all four without seeing drastic cost cutting, but all were not on NCL. What is happening with NCL Management? And why isn't premium coffee available at other locations on NCL ships other than the Starbucks Cafe?

I cruised NCL last year and didn't notice any particular difference from previous cruises, so I think some of that is hype and naysayers. NCL has NEVER included Starbucks/ Lavazza in their drink packages. I do think the NCL default coffee is above average, but if you are a dark roast/ Starbucks addict, there is a difference.  

I do seem to remember getting a few alcoholic coffee drinks in the main dining room (ex. Irish Coffee) and were included in the drink package, but can't remember how long ago.

If you purchase the premium drink package, then SB is included, but that is pricey.  Unless you want top shelf whiskies as well.

On Princess last year, SB was not in their regular drink pkg either, so NCL is comparable to other cruise lines. 

We have now sailed 5 times with NCL post Covid, and haven't noticed any large cutbacks the way some here keep claiming.  Maybe there is 1 less group (duet, single singer, etc) per ship that perform in the smaller areas. But that is on the large ships that we have been on.  Only once on the Dawn (Jan 2022) but that was during restart, so probably different now.

1 hour ago, IsanTom said:

Is this a cost cutting scheme that NCL has instituted lately?

Specialty coffee, i.e. espresso drinks, have been excluded from NCL's unlimited beverage package since the very beginning (late 2013). Long before they started putting Starbuckses on board. Same with energy drinks, fresh squeezed juices, bottled water. These are all things that cost a lot less than the alcoholic drinks that they will give you unlimited quantities of, so people have been asking/wondering/complaining about these exclusions on a regular basis for the past 10 years.

As for "why" these categories are excluded, it's because NCL gets to make up the rules. I guess they figured that people who really want these drinks will suck it up and pay a couple dollars more, on top of their package. And people who don't really care can settle for regular coffee, regular juice, tap water/club soda. And maybe because they were already thinking ahead to when they would offer an upgraded package that would include them (although this didn't happen until many years later).

Edited by hawkeyetlse

1 hour ago, Panhandle Couple said:

If you purchase the premium drink package, then SB is included, but that is pricey.  Unless you want top shelf whiskies as well.

To clarify, if you want the Starbucks and waters and higher-end spirits included, you need to upgrade to the Premium PLUS package.

• Like 3

Not including specialty coffees was not a cost cutting scheme lately.  You are not paying for the package besides gratuities so NCL limits the "extras" like specialty coffee and bottled water.   On Royal you are getting specialty coffee but also paying around $70/day before gratuities.  You would need to drink a lot of coffee and water to even it out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hawkeyetlse said:

Specialty coffee, i.e. espresso drinks, have been excluded from NCL's unlimited beverage package since the very beginning (late 2013). Long before they started putting Starbuckses on board. Same with energy drinks, fresh squeezed juices, bottled water. These are all things that cost a lot less than the alcoholic drinks that they will give you unlimited quantities of, so people have been asking/wondering/complaining about these exclusions on a regular basis for the past 10 years.

As for "why" these categories are excluded, it's because NCL gets to make up the rules. I guess they figured that people who really want these drinks will suck it up and pay a couple dollars more, on top of their package. And people who don't really care can settle for regular coffee, regular juice, tap water/club soda. And maybe because they were already thinking ahead to when they would offer an upgraded package that would include them (although this didn't happen until many years later).

You have to look at the full picture.

We sailed on Princess last year, and they did include water in their drink pkg.  Just ask at any bar, you get it. (std big box store plastic water bottle)  And there were numerous 1/2 empty bottles of water sitting around the ship.  It seemed to get worse as the week went on.   And this was not during school vacation times, so very few kids on board.  Collecting, emptying and then Processing the empties for recycling takes time.  Same with energy drinks.  Handing out cans of them means many will be left in many places.  (and energy drinks are not cheap) Then recycling the cans.  Waste disposal is already a big task and cost.  These rules help limit it.

Also, now 6 liters of free water for Latitudes members in each cabin vs paying, so maybe someone is paying attention to the little things that bug people.

7 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

On Princess last year, SB was not in their regular drink pkg either, so NCL is comparable to other cruise lines. 

We have now sailed 5 times with NCL post Covid, and haven't noticed any large cutbacks the way some here keep claiming.  Maybe there is 1 less group (duet, single singer, etc) per ship that perform in the smaller areas. But that is on the large ships that we have been on.  Only once on the Dawn (Jan 2022) but that was during restart, so probably different now.

On Royal's Transatlantics (14 days) they have  Coffee cards for $36.00 for the cruise, which incudes 15 coffees. I believe NCL's coffee package is in the $230 plus for  my future cruise. Very expensive.

8 hours ago, IsanTom said:

I enjoy good premium coffee in the morning, but it appears Starbucks will be our only choice. Is that true on NCL Sun and other NCL ships and coffees are not included in our drink packages?

Like Royal Caribbean, there are Starbucks stores on some NCL ships. Where a Starbucks store is not onboard, there is a specialty coffee store onboard. Starbucks is not included in the basic beverage package. You would have to (1) upgrade to the PLUS package or (2) purchase a Starbucks specialty coffee package (similar to Royal's coffee card for non-Starbucks stores). 

Is this a cost cutting scheme that NCL has instituted lately?

No Cost Cutting "scheme". NCL has never included Specialty Coffees in their beverage package. 

Also I heard their Entertainment Budget was reduced substantially and some great shows have been cancelled.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. It is Fake News.  Yes, there are several shows that have completed their contract and are being swapped out. Some of this has been bunched together because of the pandemic shutdown. In one case, one of the initial shows that did not rate well is being significantly upgraded to a full Broadway production. 

Our Panama Cruise on the Sun is not cheap, so what's going on with all the cost cutting? I understand the Covid shutdowns caused losses, but we cruised three times in 2021, Royal, Celebrity and MSC Yacht Club, and we didn't notice any extreme cost cutting. We also cruised four times in 2022, three transatlantics and a Med Cruise. We enjoyed all four without seeing drastic cost cutting, but all were not on NCL. 

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. It is Fake News. Most cruise lines are going to once a day room cleaning in steerage to reduce staffing requirements which have been impossible to fill. 

What is happening with NCL Management?

Nothing. 

And why isn't premium coffee available at other locations on NCL ships other than the Starbucks Cafe?

Premium coffee is available in every restaurant. Self serve premium coffee is available in the buffet on most ships. 

39 minutes ago, IsanTom said:

On Royal's Transatlantics (14 days) they have  Coffee cards for $36.00 for the cruise, which incudes 15 coffees. I believe NCL's coffee package is in the $230 plus for  my future cruise. Very expensive.

$12.95 per day with unlimited coffee with a Starbucks package on NCL.

Or, just use your Starbucks app from home to pay cash for each of your drinks. On Royal, the 15 coffees is only 1 a day at Café Promenade (not real Starbucks).

If you really only want 1 premium coffee a day, then just pay retail and stop all of the fuss. $4.25 for a Café Americano the 16 days of your cruise. 

image.thumb.png.c88afa2b95a7c60354021b0f3ce07773.png

Edited by BirdTravels

I think there was another post about using the Starbucks app, but I can't seem to locate it.  So, we are able to use the app?  That would be GREAT!  I will load it up and that will take care of that!  I do find the premium beverage package a little pricey and I think we will be able to manage with the package that we have, and pay as we go if necessary. We just got off a Celebrity cruise where we did have the premium package and it was a nice treat as their coffee shop includes the pastries as well.  DH loves those--I can take them or leave them.

6 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

You have to look at the full picture.

We sailed on Princess last year, and they did include water in their drink pkg.  Just ask at any bar, you get it. (std big box store plastic water bottle)  And there were numerous 1/2 empty bottles of water sitting around the ship.  It seemed to get worse as the week went on.   And this was not during school vacation times, so very few kids on board.  Collecting, emptying and then Processing the empties for recycling takes time.  Same with energy drinks.  Handing out cans of them means many will be left in many places.  (and energy drinks are not cheap) Then recycling the cans.  Waste disposal is already a big task and cost.  These rules help limit it.

Also, now 6 liters of free water for Latitudes members in each cabin vs paying, so maybe someone is paying attention to the little things that bug people.

The 6 free liters for latitudes members was a very limited promotion for a couple of months.  It's over.

• Like 2

I’d recommend to simply upgrade to the Premium Plus package and enjoy your trip without having to think about any of this. It includes all the Starbucks you want, plus fancy Italian water, energy drinks and of course top shelf booze including, by far our favourite, unlimited proper French champagne.

I’ve heard of people who aren’t big boozers but Starbucks fanatics rather and even for them, it ended up being worthwhile to get the upgrade. And if you like a tipple or two, even better!

• Like 4

On 3/20/2023 at 6:14 PM, BirdTravels said:

$12.95 per day with unlimited coffee with a Starbucks package on NCL.

Or, just use your Starbucks app from home to pay cash for each of your drinks. On Royal, the 15 coffees is only 1 a day at Café Promenade (not real Starbucks).

If you really only want 1 premium coffee a day, then just pay retail and stop all of the fuss. $4.25 for a Café Americano the 16 days of your cruise. 

image.thumb.png.c88afa2b95a7c60354021b0f3ce07773.png

Can you use a Starbucks Gift Card on board?

1 hour ago, IsanTom said:

Can you use a Starbucks Gift Card on board?

On ships with a 'real' Starbucks (not an Atrium Cafe that sells Starbuck products) you can use a gift card and their app. It's been awhile since I was on a ship with an Atrium Cafe so if this has changed, please correct me. But I have used my app on Sky, Getaway, Bliss, Encore, Prima and Joy without a problem.

• Like 4

On 3/20/2023 at 11:40 AM, KurtMo said:

To clarify, if you want the Starbucks and waters and higher-end spirits included, you need to upgrade to the Premium PLUS package.

Ironically, I hardly ever visit Starbucks on land.  But since I get P+/FAS+ and it's included, I tend to go the the onboard store.  Same reason why many people get hammered onboard:  Hey, it's free, so I'll get my money's worth.  Admittedly, I drink more onboard than on land, but that's because I'm not driving anywhere.  Plus Champagne is abundant onboard 🙂

• Like 2

On Royal Caribbean in August we were able to get a non-alcoholic drink package on sale for about $18/day plus gratuities. It was amazing - specialty coffees, fresh squeezed juices, sodas, shakes, and mock tails ("virgin") drinks were all included. I loved that and would pick a latte in the morning over a cocktail in the evening anytime. I do wish NCL had a choice like that.

That said, I am very impressed with the drinks package at just a tad over $20/day. So no specialty coffee or fresh juice, but basically everything else, and I get my Mudslide every day plus a chance to try some new things. (I.e. we are hitting the mojito and martini bars to do some sampling.) So both are great values and I'm thrilled with the drink package, even if I only do one drink a day and some soda. If I want the specialty coffee I can pay the $5/day for a latte, not enough to ruin my trip over. I'll even spring for $6.25 once for the salted caramel cream nitro cold brew which sounds amazing. Cruising is a great deal and they need to make some money. I can't do food, transportation, sightseeing, solo room, etc. on my own for anything close to my cruise price, and I get to pick and choose what is of value to me. Inside room and more excursions this trip. If coffee is huge for you, and you drink at least 2 a day, get the card. Otherwise, just enjoy one when you want it. And don't forget to budget for coffee in port - you can't take it off and it supports the local economy. Heck, finding the best coffee in each port can be a great excursion! Have a blast!

• Like 2

On 3/20/2023 at 9:12 AM, IsanTom said:

I have sailed only twice on NCL since they lost my records of 20-25 cruises from the 80's & 90's, so we only choose NCL when they have a good destination cruise.

I enjoy good premium coffee in the morning, but it appears Starbucks will be our only choice. Is that true on NCL Sun and other NCL ships and coffees are not included in our drink packages? Is this a cost cutting scheme that NCL has instituted lately? Also I heard their Entertainment Budget was reduced substantially

and some great shows have been cancelled. Our Panama Cruise on the Sun is not cheap, so what's going on with all the cost cutting? I understand the Covid 

shutdowns caused losses, but we cruised three times in 2021, Royal, Celebrity and MSC Yacht Club, and we didn't notice any extreme cost cutting. We also cruised

four times in 2022, three transatlantics and a Med Cruise. We enjoyed all four without seeing drastic cost cutting, but all were not on NCL. What is happening with NCL Management? And why isn't premium coffee available at other locations on NCL ships other than the Starbucks Cafe?

It is am alcohol package that you have, coffee is not alcohol.  It is not included becaseu that is what NCL decdied.  Starbucke is only available at starbucks because it is (wait for it) starbucks!  1st world problem.

35 minutes ago, Missymssy said:

I understand that Starbuck's is not included in the basic drink package. Is Starbuck's the only place on the ship to get a specialty coffee? On many other lines, you could order a latte at other areas (and use OBC).

In most restaurants (MDR and Specialty) you can order specialty coffees that would be billed to your onboard account.

If you have OBC, that's great, it should be applied toward your expenses onboard!

On 3/25/2023 at 9:04 PM, MoCruiseFan said:

It is am alcohol package that you have, coffee is not alcohol.  It is not included becaseu that is what NCL decdied.  Starbucke is only available at starbucks because it is (wait for it) starbucks!  1st world problem.

But what about your "third world problems?"

22 hours ago, ggTexasGal said:

In most restaurants (MDR and Specialty) you can order specialty coffees that would be billed to your onboard account.

Thanks!! I mistakenly thought all of you meant I'd have to trek to Starbucks whenever I wanted a specialty coffee! In reality, I do like a latte here and there, but usually NOT from Starbucks. lol

On 3/28/2023 at 4:02 PM, ashkay16 said:

Starbucks gift cards are accepted on 

NCL . 

Not on all ships. I was unable to use gift cards or the app on the Jewel. As was mentioned, if Starbucks is part of the Atrium Cafe, it doesn't work. However, I was able to use them on Getaway and Bliss.