Beetlejuice Musical Coming to Viva

phillygwm

19 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

It's kind of ironic to put that show on a ship since in the movie.....

Adam and Barbara died by drowning.  💀

In the musical they die a different way.

The musical stays true to the story of a girl losing her mom and moving into a new house that has 2 ghosts, but there are some changes to the story in the musical.  I won't spoil it.  

• Like 1

This will be a 90 minute “tab” version of the show. The show in its original form on Broadway ran two hours and thirty minutes, with a fifteen minute intermission. So they’re cutting about 45 minutes out of the show. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

I thought this was announced previously, but I could be mistaken about that.

Personally, I'm hoping that NCL can snag Spamalot one of these days...

Only a cast audition for the show was announced.  Not a official statement of ncl for the show for Viva. 

3 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

At least it isn't Titanic the Musical 🙂

2 hours ago, UKstages said:

This will be a 90 minute “tab” version of the show. The show in its original form on Broadway ran two hours and thirty minutes, with a fifteen minute intermission. So they’re cutting about 45 minutes out of the show. 

Yes, that applies to most of the productions (except Six, which was about 90 minutes on Broadway)

17 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

Yes, that applies to most of the productions (except Six, which was about 90 minutes on Broadway)

"six" is even a bit shorter. it runs about 80 minutes... and that's with the extensive reprises in the finale/curtain call. it would be just over an hour without all that. "six" and "choir of man" are the only shows that are performed on NCL pretty much exactly as they are on broadway or in the west end.

i saw "jersey boys" onboard NCL and, while i never saw it on broadway, my sense was that they didn't cut much - or anything - out of it, except, perhaps, an intermission. theatre purists don't like when they mess with shows and cut out what they view as essential content. i tend to agree.

"beetlejuice" is not a great show, but it is a fun show and perfect for a cruise ship. my opinion is that there is actually plenty to cut here without affecting the overall look and feel of the show.

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

For those who saw it on Broadway, we've never seen the movie.  Should we see the movie before we go on Viva in December?

not necessary. i had never seen the movie and quite enjoyed the musical.

8 hours ago, Steff79 said:

Only a cast audition for the show was announced.  Not a official statement of ncl for the show for Viva. 

From what I'm seeing on callback boards, it looks like folks have been getting the final callbacks (or "thanks but no thanks") emails this week.

10 hours ago, PATRLR said:

For those who saw it on Broadway, we've never seen the movie.  Should we see the movie before we go on Viva in December?

The movie is one of my favorites.....I just love it. I wish this was going to be on Prima. We sail on her next month

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SeaShark said:

I thought this was announced previously, but I could be mistaken about that.

Personally, I'm hoping that NCL can snag Spamalot one of these days...

yes please… they already have a 90 min version they made for Vegas.   🙂

9 hours ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

The casting call said "End of contract TBD up to six months."

https://www.pearsoncasting.com/beetlejuice

Yeah, but ship contracts are fairly short term.  People I've spoken to (bartenders, dealers) are ~9-10 months but I'm sure it varies based on the job.  Entertainers may be shorter term.  That isn't to say that the show closes in 6 months, just that a different cast takes over.

Edited by phillygwm

if you're in a broadway show - on broadway - unless you're a star or principal player who may have a "run of show" contract, you typically only have a six month contract. you're not guaranteed six months of work, you're obligated to stay with the show for six months. if the show gets bad reviews and closes after two weeks, you're out of work.

• 1 month later...
On 3/23/2023 at 11:05 AM, Two Wheels Only said:

Adam and Barbara died by drowning.  💀

And because it's a show about DEATH! Nothing to worry about people, you all went to muster on time, safety first.

It was fabulous on Broadway and we saw it the night before boarding a cruise in Bayonne / Port Liberty so the connection totally works for me. It is very funny and should appeal to a wide audience. Much better than, oh, say, CATS.