The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday March 26th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Whether you saw the aurora last week or not--it was overcast here--you might want to watch this week for an alignment of five planets in the night sky. The article says that the best night will be Tuesday, and that it's best to look asap after sunset, because some of them will disappear a bit later.

https://apnews.com/article/five-planets-align-night-sky-jupiter-mars-d0170eea9fee67680cf2f1bca68a4fcf

• Like 13
  • Thanks 6

48 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Believe it or not I found it.  Last post May 21

Roy

That is such a great thread!  What do you think about possibly posting something on it to keep it around longer?  Just something like "this is one of the most legendary threads ever posted on Cruise Critic!"  I'd hate for it to disappear forever.

• Like 15

3 hours ago, bennybear said:

Nice to celebrate this lovely place of sharing, and all those who help make it what it is.   I seem to recall it early in 2020.   

I love the idea of a road trip,  or maybe for now we have another virtual picnic, I think we’ve had a few of those.   But somewhere a little warmer?  Or on a BHB? 

I too am saddened by the terrible tornadoes.  We unfortunately share the frozen tundra but also have had devastating tornadoes.  So my heart goes out to all those affected.  

Just wanting to share another aurora photo where we also caught the moon and Venus.  

88B3A548-CA93-4DA8-AC81-8E2A3C0BF126.jpeg

Wow, wow, wow on the picture!  Incredible!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for thinking about us @Quartzsite Cruiser.  It is about 7 AM here in Yokohama.  Just finishing repacking after 4 days here.  Didn’t go out a lot as it rained every day.  Saturday we took our covid tests, laid the negative results on our passports and took a picture with both an  iPhone and iPad.  We are about half a mile from the Westerdam and our boarding time is 11:30.  Two sea days then Naha and our 60th.  The fun begins
Ray and Sara

• Like 23

5 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

I must explain how it all started…..One night we were here at dinner and I mentioned what the temperature was on the frozen tundra. This was several months ago. We were all sympathetic but honestly have never been colder than minus ten here. The teenager started looking things up about the area. We all watched DH of  @ger_77’S video and Ioved  it. 
I mentioned what you were planning for dinner and the wine. I don’t serve wine at my house but you are always welcome to bring it. Family members looked up how long it would take to drive there and Tana got into the act saying she could go if we equip a van for her. We would laugh and smile and just enjoy the idea of meeting and eating with fun people. 
As long as you told Annie  @marshhawk,that she could come, how about six folks who would love a road trip right around now!

Don’t worry, just day dreaming on our national holiday here……

Oh my goodness, I didn't think I'd end up the topic of conversation at someone's dinner table!  It's interesting the teenager actually looked up our area - I'm so glad you enjoyed the DH's video.  You know I fondly refer to it as the "frozen tundra", but we really do have beautiful weather in spring, summer and fall.

You must know if any of the people and their people from our Daily family ever make their way northward and end up here, you are most welcome at our dinner table at any time of the day or night.  It would be my honour to host you and share whatever we happen to have on our menu.  And BTW, I have tea, coffee (decaf and regular), and pop for those who don't care for alcoholic beverages.  Often DH just has water with his meal, but I enjoy wine, so there you go.  

We just got back from our hot cross buns run; made stops at 6 houses, enjoying quick visits at each stop.  Now it's time for a couple of rows of stitching on the blanket and will get to heating up our leftovers from last night.  

Take care everyone, see you tomorrow!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Well, @dfish was a lot closer than me on her first meal review.  I had a spreadsheet and the date was listed as 12721 which I parsed as December 7 but it was actually January 27.  I have added a few things, and here's my new list:

April 27, 2019-- Rich puts out feeler on Fleet Locations
April 28,2019– Rich’s first Fleet Report
March 16, 2020– First appearance of “The Daily” with addition of notable days
April 5, 2020:-- First Meal Suggestion AND quote
June 23, 2020:-- First wine suggestion
July 9, 2020: My first sunrise
July 10, 2020:-- First care list
July 27, 2020:-- First wine review by @cat shepard
August 5, 2020:-- First alternative meal
August 8: 2020 --First shoutout list
September 1, 2020-- First Drink AND Drink Review
December 26, 2020: Dailyite Meet and Greet on Zoom
January 27, 2021:-- Debbie’s first meal review
January 31. 2021– First Destination of the Day
January 18, 2022– Father David’s first sermon on the Daily
and
June 19, 2022:–First Fleet Report and Daily

A note about how I search, originally done with a specific date.  I check the calendar to see what the corresponding day of the week it is and then from the Holland America list of threads search for that day of week.  From the list the search pulls up there's an option to search "in content titles only".  That produces a list of all the threads with that day of the week in the title,  For most days that's almost exclusively Daily/Fleet threads (Friday is about 50/50 Daily and Future Cruise List) but in any case it's a very easy thing to look at all the threads for that day of the week from newest to oldest.

That's if the desired date is within about the last 3 1/2 years where the search function works.  For older threads it's more difficult but still possible.  The threads are mostly all there, newest to oldest, all the way back to 2004,  The sort order is by last post for the thread but most daily threads lose activity so that tends not to be a big deal.  For pre-search threads what I do is start with the full list of threads and then click on the last page in the list of pages, I think it's page 6 and get something like this:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/103-holland-america-line/page/6

I then edit the number  6 to something much larger like 406 and then by a bit of trial and error get to the date I want.  A bit cumbersome but it works.

The current position of the first fleet report is around page 500.

Roy

I can’t get farther back than October 2020, so kudos! 

• Like 14

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

That is such a great thread!  What do you think about possibly posting something on it to keep it around longer?  Just something like "this is one of the most legendary threads ever posted on Cruise Critic!"  I'd hate for it to disappear forever.

I'm ambivalent about that.  I was able to locate it since I had a vague idea of the time of the last post.  It's hard to find as is but if we updated it today I think it would be very difficult to locate a year from now.

Roy

• Like 8

So much happened today that Praia almost fell by the wayside.  My time now is limited but I'll try to find a couple of quotes from my blog and a couple of photos,

"

There are 10 Cape Verde islands but the capitol is on Santiago Island at Praia. It was discovered by the Portugese in the closing years of the 15th century and was a colony of Portugal until the 1960’s. Today it is run by a Prime Minister and President elected every 5 years. Praia is a port call that was only settled after our plans for West Africa were cancelled and the staff was scrambling to gather information about the island. We had been told that tourist infrastructure in Praia was very limited and our guide told us that the chief economic activity here was tourism. That is not a healthy combination, although the facilities are not as limited as we expected. With the volcanic soil, an extremely dry climate, agriculture is also very limited, and the unemployment rate is high. China is investing very heavily in Cape Verde, and being rewarded with access to fishing grounds (and perhaps some other ways the guide didn’t mention).

I had a morning tour that visited the city center and got out to some of the earliest settlements. The city center was less than a mile away but across the water and a 20-minute bus ride along the shore. We stepped inside the Cathedral (this is a predominantly Roman Catholic country), and looked at the supreme court, the market, and the Governor’s Palace (home of the Governor when Portugal ruled the island), and the statue of discoverer Diego Gomez. The Governor’s Palace is undergoing major work, financed by China and with plans on display in Portugese and Chinese.

It was another 20-minute drive to Cidade Velha (Old Town) where the island was first settled in the 1490’s. The community was a thriving center of commerce in the days of slave trading but became a center of attacks by pirates and the town was largely abandoned and activity moved to Praia. It is now a UNESCO world Heritage site and slowly undergoing restoration. We started at the Fortress of San Felipe which had commanding views down onto the town and the harbor. Once at the town proper (at sea level) we toured Rue Banana with old houses in various stages of restoration and went inside the Our Lady of the Rosary Church, said to be the oldest church in the colonial world. Returning to the waterfront we saw the pillory, where man’s brutality to man took place in the slave trading days, and had a bit of free time at the waterfront where there were a number of cafes. We returned to the ship about 1PM."

The Cathedral:

praiacathedral.jpg

praiacathedral2.jpg

Main street Praia

mainstpraia.jpg

Praia square:

praiasquare.jpg

Diego Gomez

gomez.jpg

San Felipe:

sanfilipe2.jpg

The Rosary Church:

rosarychurch.jpg

Roy

• Like 14
  • Thanks 8

11 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

It's hard to find as is but if we updated it today I think it would be very difficult to locate a year from now.

To be sure of locating it again, select "Follow" at the top of any page of the thread.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

24 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I'm ambivalent about that.  I was able to locate it since I had a vague idea of the time of the last post.  It's hard to find as is but if we updated it today I think it would be very difficult to locate a year from now.

Roy

Another classic from the HAL forum is the Blender Thread.  That one was just plain funny.  

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Good Afternoon Everyone!

Happy Anniversary to the "Daily"  I love how this thread has evolved over the past three years but remains full of caring, supportive, friendly folks who have shared of their lives both the ups, downs and laughs we have experienced. I may not post often but I check it daily it offs laughs and encouragement when I need it!

This past week was a whirlwind I picked up some shifts for a colleague who went to care for a friend receiving chemo and my Dad ended up in the hospital!  Fortunately another colleague was able to fill in for me one day and the on other days, I would see Dad before work and after work!  Our current boss loves having the 3 of us (as we had worked several years in an ER together) we are use to status changes on the fly!

Dad came home yesterday and is doing better.  Unfortunately the dementia is taking its toll, but we are able to keep him comfortable at home.

Keep posting the ports, I can dream of the next cruise to go on!  I also love the recipes and shake things up and surprise hubby with new things on the table every so often!  Must keep him on his toes!

Take care and thank you again to all who contribute and make this thread what it is!

Denise

• Like 17

Happy Anniversary, Dailyites all!  I'm late, it's been busy, but we are packed and ready to leave tomorrow morning at 3:30 a.m.  We should get to Fort Lauderdale at 8:15, after three flights.  Pat did our check ins and I did the Health questionnaire for HAL.  I had been waiting for it to appear, and today it did.  I had a feeling it usually showed up sooner.

• Like 19

3 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Happy Anniversary, Dailyites all!  I'm late, it's been busy, but we are packed and ready to leave tomorrow morning at 3:30 a.m.  We should get to Fort Lauderdale at 8:15, after three flights.  Pat did our check ins and I did the Health questionnaire for HAL.  I had been waiting for it to appear, and today it did.  I had a feeling it usually showed up sooner.

That's an early departure from home!  Safe travels to you both.  We will be watching for you when you sail.🚢

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, CrabbyPatti said:

Good Afternoon Everyone!

Happy Anniversary to the "Daily"  I love how this thread has evolved over the past three years but remains full of caring, supportive, friendly folks who have shared of their lives both the ups, downs and laughs we have experienced. I may not post often but I check it daily it offs laughs and encouragement when I need it!

This past week was a whirlwind I picked up some shifts for a colleague who went to care for a friend receiving chemo and my Dad ended up in the hospital!  Fortunately another colleague was able to fill in for me one day and the on other days, I would see Dad before work and after work!  Our current boss loves having the 3 of us (as we had worked several years in an ER together) we are use to status changes on the fly!

Dad came home yesterday and is doing better.  Unfortunately the dementia is taking its toll, but we are able to keep him comfortable at home.

Keep posting the ports, I can dream of the next cruise to go on!  I also love the recipes and shake things up and surprise hubby with new things on the table every so often!  Must keep him on his toes!

Take care and thank you again to all who contribute and make this thread what it is!

Denise

Hope your Dad is feeling all right.  What a busy week for you!

• Like 9

58 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Safe travels!

• Like 11

1 hour ago, CrabbyPatti said:

Good Afternoon Everyone!

Denise

Hugs to you, Denise.  

• Like 12

@dfishI must admit that we have had water back up in all areas of our one level ranch house, we live on a hill, and we have lots of trees, and the house was built in 1963 with terra cotta pipes for the sewage and water removal, and it turned out that the terra cotta pipes in the hill, were totally crushed by roots from the trees.  They were replaced with PVC,  and we were told that roots dont like to kill PVC...?  The front yard being the sunny part of the yard, and since it was all dug up, I planted jalapeno and green peppers in the ground.  This goof ball neighborhood has a ban of front yard veggie growing, but no one turned me in.  Good luck with the plumber, and i hope it's an easy fix.

This group of Daily people are such wonderful people.  All of you are helping me be a better person, you give hope when things look down, you provide humor, for a good laugh every day,  I cry when things go badly for any of you,  and I smile when things look good.  DH reminded me that I have been with you for a year now, and you have all made every day a better day in my life.  Thank you Dailyites!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Good evening, 

DH update: Not a lot of news but he's still with us so that's good. I got there today and the heating blanket was gone as he's maintaining his body temperature. Also no meds needed to keep his blood pressure where it should be. The Foley catheter was removed this afternoon as well. He doesn't have MRSA, the flu, Covid, RSV or Legions. The test results that were high are starting to trend down and the ones that were low are starting to trend up. The doctor today said that they'll move him out of the ICU when he starts coughing a bit more productively, says I am being realistic and is very cautiously saying that there is some optimism. It's going to be a long haul regardless. 

I slept last night and spent today in his room doing my needlework, playing my iPad games, checking Cruise Critic, and texting a few people to keep them in the loop. The next few days are going to be critical as we see if he rallies from this infection (which we don't know what it is yet) and the pneumonia. 

Thank you so much to all of you! I loved the Charlie Brown meme from @aliaschief today. It was perfect! 

Now I'm going to indulge in a glass of wine, maybe a small dish of ice cream, and call it a night. If I don't get any calls during the night I'll go to the pool tomorrow and do water aerobics before heading to the hospital. They are in opposite directions but that's fine. 

Karen

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

A very late good evening.  It was a busy afternoon spent working outside on a lovely, warm spring day.  The yard is mowed and trimmed, and the cars and golf cart are washed.  The cars were all covered in dust and pollen, and looked horrible.  It was getting so that I was embarrassed to be seen driving them, and it was getting difficult to see out the windows.  We also got the covers back on two of the cars, so maybe they won't need washing for a while.

Naturally, it all took longer than expected, so we had a late dinner.  DH cooked a ribeye which we shared along with baked potatoes and salad.  He is our expert steak griller.  Tomorrow, I'll have to break down and clean the house.  I've put it off as long as possible.

10 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

I must explain how it all started…..One night we were here at dinner and I mentioned what the temperature was on the frozen tundra. This was several months ago. We were all sympathetic but honestly have never been colder than minus ten here. The teenager started looking things up about the area. We all watched DH of  @ger_77’S video and Ioved  it. 
I mentioned what you were planning for dinner and the wine. I don’t serve wine at my house but you are always welcome to bring it. Family members looked up how long it would take to drive there and Tana got into the act saying she could go if we equip a van for her. We would laugh and smile and just enjoy the idea of meeting and eating with fun people. 
As long as you told Annie  @marshhawk,that she could come, how about six folks who would love a road trip right around now!

Don’t worry, just day dreaming on our national holiday here……

Terry, day dreams are nice, and we could all use some good day dreams.

10 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good Sunday morning.  i guess it is already afternoon.

Happy Anniversary to all the Dailyites.  It has been wonderful being a part of this group. 

I have not read all the posts, but will go back later and do so.

Thank you for continuing to include me in the cares list.

As for an update.  

As if we have not spent enough money on this house, our washer has decided that it needs replacement.  It sounds like a jet plane ready to take off when spinning and everything I read says it is ready to die.

It is 21 years old and we are not going to spend money on repairs at this point.

So we will have to replace both the washer and dryer.  Just what we need right now.  i need a tree that grows money—A money tree.  

Measurement for the glass do for the Shower is Tuesday.

That and the grab bar is the end.  Or at least I hope so.  

Starting to put Humpty Dumpty back together again.  

Hope everyone has a good Sunday

God Bless,

Terri

4C258C59-C567-491C-8302-29910AD09F86.jpeg

Terri, DH and I know just what that noise your washer is making.  It's the bearing that spins the drum.  Our old washer was making that noise for a couple or three months.  DH found he could replace the bearing and assembly for about $50 of he was in better shape.  We discussed getting the washer fixed, getting someone to help us fix it, but finally decided to replace the 23 year old washer.  Neither of us could stand listening to the jet take off from our laundry room any longer.  The new washer arrived last week, and it works very well.  We decided to keep the old dryer until it gives out.  DH reminded me that most appliances fail when they are new.  

10 hours ago, richwmn said:

Just an acknowledgement of the fact that I can't predict the future. I hope I am able to continue to do this for a while, and if I can't someone will take over.

Rich, I think there are enough of us who would keep the Daily going.  We've managed with your work setting everything up before hand to keep it going while you are enjoying your cruise.  I hope you will be able to continue with the Daily for quite some time.

8 hours ago, bennybear said:

Nice to celebrate this lovely place of sharing, and all those who help make it what it is.   I seem to recall it early in 2020.   

I love the idea of a road trip,  or maybe for now we have another virtual picnic, I think we’ve had a few of those.   But somewhere a little warmer?  Or on a BHB? 

I too am saddened by the terrible tornadoes.  We unfortunately share the frozen tundra but also have had devastating tornadoes.  So my heart goes out to all those affected.  

Just wanting to share another aurora photo where we also caught the moon and Venus.  

88B3A548-CA93-4DA8-AC81-8E2A3C0BF126.jpeg

Brenda, thanks for the picture of the aurora with the moon and Venus.  That's incredible.

7 hours ago, kochleffel said:

From our badger and dog conversation the other day:

GermanyIditarod.jpg.b80f24387449c2c9479ee685ed09616f.jpg

Paul, the Germans might not win the Iditarod, but in my opinion, they have the cutest dog sled team.

6 hours ago, kochleffel said:

Whether you saw the aurora last week or not--it was overcast here--you might want to watch this week for an alignment of five planets in the night sky. The article says that the best night will be Tuesday, and that it's best to look asap after sunset, because some of them will disappear a bit later.

https://apnews.com/article/five-planets-align-night-sky-jupiter-mars-d0170eea9fee67680cf2f1bca68a4fcf

Paul, thanks for the article about the five planets aligning this next week.  Unfortunately, our weather prediction is for cloudy and windy most of the week, along with thunderstorms.

5 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Oh my goodness, I didn't think I'd end up the topic of conversation at someone's dinner table!  It's interesting the teenager actually looked up our area - I'm so glad you enjoyed the DH's video.  You know I fondly refer to it as the "frozen tundra", but we really do have beautiful weather in spring, summer and fall.

You must know if any of the people and their people from our Daily family ever make their way northward and end up here, you are most welcome at our dinner table at any time of the day or night.  It would be my honour to host you and share whatever we happen to have on our menu.  And BTW, I have tea, coffee (decaf and regular), and pop for those who don't care for alcoholic beverages.  Often DH just has water with his meal, but I enjoy wine, so there you go.  

We just got back from our hot cross buns run; made stops at 6 houses, enjoying quick visits at each stop.  Now it's time for a couple of rows of stitching on the blanket and will get to heating up our leftovers from last night.  

Take care everyone, see you tomorrow!

Gerry, I wish we'd known each other in 2017.  We drove through Saskatoon from Moose Jaw on the way to Edmonton, with the ultimate destination being Alaska.  We could have had a nice visit.  Maybe next time.

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Roy, I feel the same way.  Frankly, I was a little unhappy after the daughter went back to Canada.  She mentioned she keep us posted about how her mother and step-father were doing, but never posted again as far as I could tell.  I've thought of the couple several times since then, and wondered how they were getting along.

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

So much happened today that Praia almost fell by the wayside.  My time now is limited but I'll try to find a couple of quotes from my blog and a couple of photos,

"

There are 10 Cape Verde islands but the capitol is on Santiago Island at Praia. It was discovered by the Portugese in the closing years of the 15th century and was a colony of Portugal until the 1960’s. Today it is run by a Prime Minister and President elected every 5 years. Praia is a port call that was only settled after our plans for West Africa were cancelled and the staff was scrambling to gather information about the island. We had been told that tourist infrastructure in Praia was very limited and our guide told us that the chief economic activity here was tourism. That is not a healthy combination, although the facilities are not as limited as we expected. With the volcanic soil, an extremely dry climate, agriculture is also very limited, and the unemployment rate is high. China is investing very heavily in Cape Verde, and being rewarded with access to fishing grounds (and perhaps some other ways the guide didn’t mention).

I had a morning tour that visited the city center and got out to some of the earliest settlements. The city center was less than a mile away but across the water and a 20-minute bus ride along the shore. We stepped inside the Cathedral (this is a predominantly Roman Catholic country), and looked at the supreme court, the market, and the Governor’s Palace (home of the Governor when Portugal ruled the island), and the statue of discoverer Diego Gomez. The Governor’s Palace is undergoing major work, financed by China and with plans on display in Portugese and Chinese.

It was another 20-minute drive to Cidade Velha (Old Town) where the island was first settled in the 1490’s. The community was a thriving center of commerce in the days of slave trading but became a center of attacks by pirates and the town was largely abandoned and activity moved to Praia. It is now a UNESCO world Heritage site and slowly undergoing restoration. We started at the Fortress of San Felipe which had commanding views down onto the town and the harbor. Once at the town proper (at sea level) we toured Rue Banana with old houses in various stages of restoration and went inside the Our Lady of the Rosary Church, said to be the oldest church in the colonial world. Returning to the waterfront we saw the pillory, where man’s brutality to man took place in the slave trading days, and had a bit of free time at the waterfront where there were a number of cafes. We returned to the ship about 1PM."

The Cathedral:

praiacathedral.jpg

praiacathedral2.jpg

Main street Praia

mainstpraia.jpg

Praia square:

praiasquare.jpg

Diego Gomez

gomez.jpg

San Felipe:

sanfilipe2.jpg

The Rosary Church:

rosarychurch.jpg

Roy

Roy, thanks for sharing your pictures and day in Praia.

3 hours ago, CrabbyPatti said:

Good Afternoon Everyone!

Denise

Denise, I'm glad your father is back home and is comfortable.

3 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Ann, safe travels to you and Pat tomorrow.  I don't envy you leaving so early in the morning.

1 hour ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

💔 Press conference just ended. 7 deaths now confirmed. They believe all have been located and now await identification by the coroner. 💔🙏

Thank you for the update.  It is sad news that more did not survive, but I'm glad all are accounted for now.  Our condolences to their families, coworkers, friends, and the entire community.  Such a terrible tragedy.

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

@dfishI must admit that we have had water back up in all areas of our one level ranch house, we live on a hill, and we have lots of trees, and the house was built in 1963 with terra cotta pipes for the sewage and water removal, and it turned out that the terra cotta pipes in the hill, were totally crushed by roots from the trees.  They were replaced with PVC,  and we were told that roots dont like to kill PVC...?  The front yard being the sunny part of the yard, and since it was all dug up, I planted jalapeno and green peppers in the ground.  This goof ball neighborhood has a ban of front yard veggie growing, but no one turned me in.  Good luck with the plumber, and i hope it's an easy fix.

This group of Daily people are such wonderful people.  All of you are helping me be a better person, you give hope when things look down, you provide humor, for a good laugh every day,  I cry when things go badly for any of you,  and I smile when things look good.  DH reminded me that I have been with you for a year now, and you have all made every day a better day in my life.  Thank you Dailyites!

Annie, I can sorta relate to your terra cotta pipes being ruined.  Our tale is a little different though.  We moved in to our first house on a Friday only to discover on Saturday that the builder had failed to connect the sewer line to the main sewer line at the street.  That made for an interesting weekend.

23 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

Good evening, 

DH update: Not a lot of news but he's still with us so that's good. I got there today and the heating blanket was gone as he's maintaining his body temperature. Also no meds needed to keep his blood pressure where it should be. The Foley catheter was removed this afternoon as well. He doesn't have MRSA, the flu, Covid, RSV or Legions. The test results that were high are starting to trend down and the ones that were low are starting to trend up. The doctor today said that they'll move him out of the ICU when he starts coughing a bit more productively, says I am being realistic and is very cautiously saying that there is some optimism. It's going to be a long haul regardless. 

I slept last night and spent today in his room doing my needlework, playing my iPad games, checking Cruise Critic, and texting a few people to keep them in the loop. The next few days are going to be critical as we see if he rallies from this infection (which we don't know what it is yet) and the pneumonia. 

Thank you so much to all of you! I loved the Charlie Brown meme from @aliaschief today. It was perfect! 

Now I'm going to indulge in a glass of wine, maybe a small dish of ice cream, and call it a night. If I don't get any calls during the night I'll go to the pool tomorrow and do water aerobics before heading to the hospital. They are in opposite directions but that's fine. 

Karen

Karen, thanks for the update after a busy and trying day.  I hope the numbers continue to head in the right direction and they identify the source of the infection.  Sending positive thoughts that your DH rallies after this latest illness.  Please, take care of yourself, too.  ((((((HUGS))))))

Lenda

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Pat has been having a really bad nosebleed all evening.  I thought we’d have to go to the hospital, but DD went out and got a spray decongestant and that seems to have done the trick.  It really seems like Someone doesn’t want us to go! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 8

43 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

Good evening, 

Karen

I think of you so often with our D H worries.  I think we will come back to a radical cystectomy for mine , if we can get the date moved up.  He is still taking antibiotics, but no more Foley…

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Terri, DH and I know just what that noise your washer is making.  It's the bearing that spins the drum.  Our old washer was making that noise for a couple or three months.  DH found he could replace the bearing and assembly for about $50 of he was in better shape.  We discussed getting the washer fixed, getting someone to help us fix it, but finally decided to replace the 23 year old washer.  Neither of us could stand listening to the jet take off from our laundry room any longer.  The new washer arrived last week, and it works very well.  We decided to keep the old dryer until it gives out.  DH reminded me that most appliances fail when they are new.  

Thanks Lenda, 

We just think it is better to replace both washer and dryer now and get it over with. We have no idea how to do it ourselves and to call someone in would cost plenty.  it is 21 years old and so is the dryer. So tomorrow I will go to the appliance store and order new ones.

Plain on getting Samsung.  i am finished with anything that has a GE label on it.  We replaced all our kitchen appliances with the stimulus money with really nice Bosch appliances and glad we did so.  We had already had to replace the Fridge and Microwave and the dishwasher was leaking.  They all came with the house.  So now the washer and dryer will get the heave-ho also.

Just got to find that Money Tree and plant it in the back yard.

Terri

• Like 9