Standard or plus

Lorenky1

Hello. I’ve never been on a cruise before but my husband and I are considering taking the Enchanted Princess 10 day Carribean cruise next February. What is the difference between standard package and plus? It looks like it would be $1200 more for 2 people for the plus plan. Is that really worth it? We would want wi-fi for both of our phones, and might average 2 drinks each day for each of us. And I guess tips are included in the plus plan. How do we figure how much extra that would cost us if we don’t take the plus plan? Thanks.

Drinking only 2 alcoholic drinks a day alone won't be worth it. Remember, water, soda, fruit juices, coffee drinks, tea and smoothies are all covered in the "Plus" program. Internet will be $15 pp/pd for 1 device each and the grats will be will be based on your cabin category.

• Thanks 1

Figure $16 pp/ for tips. That is $320. Then $10 per day for Wi-Fi so that’s another $200 Only 2 drinks/day per person averages $720. ( $15 plus20%=$ 18 per drink) So you're $40 ahead.  

1 minute ago, Lorenky1 said:

Thank you. Are you saying juice, coffee, soda etc is not covered by the standard plan?

Regular coffee, tea and I think lemonade (or something like that) are all that is included with standard. No sodas, water (aside from tap) or specialty coffee is included. 

31 minutes ago, Lorenky1 said:

Thank you. Are you saying juice, coffee, soda etc is not covered by the standard plan?

Juice is available in the morning but it isn't that great. The OJ is awful. With the Plus, you can get fresh squeezed OJ. Soda is not covered but there are cheaper soda packages. I don't drink coffee but people complain about the free coffee.

When you say "and might average 2 drinks each day for each of us ", remember that what YOU think is a Drink and Princes Thinks is a drink  may not be the same! 

I hardly drink at all, usually.  However, I do have a taste for Bailey's Irish Cream.  Ask for Baileys on the rocks and they fill a short glass with ice and measure One Ounce of Baileys, dump it over the ice (which is less than about 1/4 of the glass height. )  Ask for a double, and they measure 2 one ounce shots and it the glass is about 1/2 full, but THAT is 2 drinks! 

As there is a 15 drink a day limit (a fact, not a challenge!), if you want to try something new or different, then go ahead!

You may find an activity on board that explains different kinds of martini drinks that are available (from chocolate, to lemon drop, to the full gamut).  IF you would like to sample one, better to have the package.

My Bride discovered a drink on the dinner menu that is available everyday. It is a Chocolate Almond. It is essentially hot chocolate with a shot of amaretto.  You owe it to yourself to try a Dirty Banana! 

SO if it is a matter of being close in price, I think that I would go the extra mile and get it.

On the other hand!  I am leaving on a 16 day cruise in 2 weeks.  We opted Not to do the Plus package.  IT is $60 a day for the plus package, so that is quite a bit for 16 days!  Also, while I really LIKE Baileys, I dont need the calories for 2 (or more) Double Baileys for SIXTEEN DAYS! 

I have sufficient cabin credit to pay the tips for the trip, dont need the wifi package for both of us, so the break even was more than 3 drinks a day, and as I said, my Bulk Tonnage will definitely increase if I drink enough to make it worth while!  Anyway, for THIS trip we dont have it.  For the one week trip we recently took, we did have it and enjoyed the options to explore  new Adult Beverages!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, negn said:

Figure $16 pp/ for tips. That is $320. Then $10 per day for Wi-Fi…

Wi-Fi is now $15 per person per day. So the fixed cost per day is:

Gratuity=$16

Wi-Fi=$15
So you are at $31. The cost of Plus is $60. So all you have to do is figure out if you are going to consume $29 per day in beverages per day per person to break even or do better on the plan. If you consume 2 glasses of wine and one or two cups of fresh brewed coffee (as opposed to syrup concentrate coffee in pump urns) or maybe one or two specialty coffees such as espresso, cappuccino, or lattes, you break even. Any consumption beyond that and you come out ahead on the Plus plan. Unlike many other cruise lines where one must strain, or drink like a sailor on leave to break even, the Princess package is actually fairly priced. 

I was on the Sky in January, did not have the  plus package...Mojitos and martinis and many other cocktails were  $9 to $12 plus 20% tip each. Specialty coffee's were $3.75 each plus tip.  For us, it was better to pay individually as we are not big drinkers and we are fine with tap water and tea from the buffet.  I think that there were 6 drinks on my folio for the week and a few specialty coffees. 

The plus package does cover bottled water, specialty coffees, tips and internet for one device as well as a so for many it is a good choice for many. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lorenky1 said:

Thanks. If we have to pay for good coffee, bottled water, etc, might be better to do the plus plan. 

Smart move.  It's your first cruise.  You don't want to be stingy and deprive yourself if you opt to not get the plus package.  It was an absolute bargain when they charged 40, was still a bargain at 50 and is still a better bargain at 60 than the same offerings on Celebrity, Royal, Carnival & NCL when you add up what tips, wifi and drink packages cost on those lines.

6 hours ago, sirclean said:

As there is a 15 drink a day limit (a fact, not a challenge!), if you want to try something new or different, then go ahead!

The 15 drink limit is for alcohol drinks.

No limit for juice, soda, coffees, etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lorenky1 said:

Thanks. If we have to pay for good coffee, bottled water, etc, might be better to do the plus plan. 

Exactly... We visit the International Cafe each morning for our fancy espresso and cocoa drinks. We typically grab some bottles of water each morning to take for our shore excursions and to keep in our cabin fridge.

I do not worry about bordering nice wine in then evenings.

8 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I find it to be a sad commentary that there are 13 posts and not a one…mention of the gym classes and/or premium desserts.  

Does this really surprise you? I don't plan on using either of those features if I get the Plus package in the future. I don't remember people saying "I wish they would create these outrageous desserts" or "I wish they would now charge for fitness classes". They probably did charge for a few previously. Just not something people seemed thrilled about - I think most would have preferred the $50 Plus package with out these 2 features.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Lorenky1 said:

Hello. I’ve never been on a cruise before but my husband and I are considering taking the Enchanted Princess 10 day Carribean cruise next February. What is the difference between standard package and plus? It looks like it would be $1200 more for 2 people for the plus plan. Is that really worth it? We would want wi-fi for both of our phones, and might average 2 drinks each day for each of us. And I guess tips are included in the plus plan. How do we figure how much extra that would cost us if we don’t take the plus plan? Thanks.

Princess Gratuities are $15.50/day pp

Princess Medallion WiFi is $15/day pp

You're going to pay the gratuities and you said you both want WiFi.

So with Princess Plus at $60/day pp including those two items above, your drinks package will be $29.50/day pp. That's about as low of a cost for a drinks package as you can get in cruising today.

Keep in mind that includes your specialty coffees, mocktails, wine, and cocktails, up to $15 each. For many folks, $29.50 per day in coffee and cocktails works out. If you don't think you'll drink $29.50 in coffee and cocktails per day, on average, over the course of the cruise, then go ala carte for the drinks and just order the WiFi package. 

We are currently on Sky. 

By lunch time today, we are already 'ahead' by having the Plus package. Two bottles of water, two Americano coffees, and four glasses of wine, between us. 

The bill for drinks soon mounts up, even if you just have coffee and soft drinks, and just a very occasional alcoholic drink.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sirclean said:

When you say "and might average 2 drinks each day for each of us ", remember that what YOU think is a Drink and Princes Thinks is a drink  may not be the same! 

I hardly drink at all, usually.  However, I do have a taste for Bailey's Irish Cream.  Ask for Baileys on the rocks and they fill a short glass with ice and measure One Ounce of Baileys, dump it over the ice (which is less than about 1/4 of the glass height. )  Ask for a double, and they measure 2 one ounce shots and it the glass is about 1/2 full, but THAT is 2 drinks! 

You may find an activity on board that explains different kinds of martini drinks that are available (from chocolate, to lemon drop, to the full gamut).  IF you would like to sample one, better to have the package.

My Bride discovered a drink on the dinner menu that is available everyday. It is a Chocolate Almond. It is essentially hot chocolate with a shot of amaretto.  You owe it to yourself to try a Dirty Banana! 

SO if it is a matter of being close in price, I think that I would go the extra mile and get it.

On the other hand!  I am leaving on a 16 day cruise in 2 weeks.  We opted Not to do the Plus package.  IT is $60 a day for the plus package, so that is quite a bit for 16 days!  Also, while I really LIKE Baileys, I dont need the calories for 2 (or more) Double Baileys for SIXTEEN DAYS! 

I have sufficient cabin credit to pay the tips for the trip, dont need the wifi package for both of us, so the break even was more than 3 drinks a day, and as I said, my Bulk Tonnage will definitely increase if I drink enough to make it worth while!  Anyway, for THIS trip we dont have it.  For the one week trip we recently took, we did have it and enjoyed the options to explore  new Adult Beverages!

It's amassing how they can entice people to spring for the the plus packages.

We're still covered with the $50 package & might cancel it as we're always trying to get ahead by drinking much more than we should. We can certainly  live with the 2 free bottles of wine per trip plus the other free drinks they provide during our cruise.

The internet isn't important to us at all, nor are the specialty coffees so it makes for a tough decision. 

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Not really enticing at all. You obviously don't get any benefit from the package,  but that is a personal decision.  We spend around $90 per day each on drinks, so we buy the plus package. Again, a personal decision. 

How are we being enticed ?

It is purely a mathematical equation that suits some people and not others.

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

We're still covered with the $50 package & might cancel it as we're always trying to get ahead by drinking much more than we should. We can certainly  live with the 2 free bottles of wine per trip plus the other free drinks they provide during our cruise.

The internet isn't important to us at all, nor are the specialty coffees so it makes for a tough decision. 

After factoring out gratuities, it's 34.50 a day for drinks and wifi.  Unless you don't use wifi and are a borderline teetotaler, it's a no brainer as far as we're concerned.  

We paid 40 for plus on our 14 days on the Discovery last year and our 14 on Majestic this year. Paid 60 for our 14 on Enchanted for 2024 and will again for our future Sun sailings.  Even at 60, it's a great bargain for us even factoring out the wifi.  44.50 for the drinks package is a better deal than what is charged on Celebrity, Royal and Carnival. 

• Like 2

There is another element to this discussion that is worth mentioning. At least before COVID, cruise lines expected to get 2/3 of their revenue from cabin prices, 1/3 from onboard purchases, and make a net profit on those revenues of between 14 and 18%.

By taking the plus package, you are making it a lot easier on yourself to meet the minimums that cruise lines expect you to pay in total for your cruise. In other words, if you don't take plus, they are going to find other ways to extract that 1/3 from you, on average.

Edited by roadster08

There’s also the potential added benefit of a more relaxing cruise.

while some people feel compelled to drink more, in order to feel they got their money’s worth, others may feel more relaxed on the cruise knowing they don’t have to think about paying for a fresh juice, or a coffee, or bottle of water, or adult beverage - they get to order what they want, when they want it.  So while you may not break even in the financial sense, you may come out well ahead in the “I had a great time”  category.

my wife says one of the best things about winning the lottery would be she could go to a restaurant and order whatever she wanted, anytime she wanted.  That’s why I’m willing to pay for the Bachannal buffet at Caesar’s.  And that’s what makes the Plus fare great for us.  (My wife definitely gets her value from cocktails- I’m sure I just break even, since I don’t drink alcohol often, but I sure get value in other ways)

• Like 1

A lot depends on the itinerary as well. A sailing with a lot of sea days might make the Plus option more advantageous as more time on the ship = more drinks, more time with wifi etc. However, some cruises, especially European cruises can be very port intensive where you might be in port every day. If you are not on the ship often then this neutralizes the benefits of the plus package for drinks. Also - if you already have an international phone plane, this also reduces the need to pay for wifi from the ship as well because you can just use your phone every day in port. There will never be a universal answer on this for everyone because people drink different amounts and different types of drinks and some do not care for wifi. So its best to do your own math on how much you forecast spending per day out of pocket vs plus  for everything (drinks, wifi, tips, etc)

Edited by XuGator
  • Like 1

I've appreciated this thread.  I understand better the different plans.  I like to have Wifi, DH can live with out it.  We don't drink any coffee or alcohol.  DH likes Pepsi, but in the past we've always brought it onboard with us.  Bottled water would be nice, as well as gratuities paid ahead.  Desserts don't interest me, but DH might have one a day and the premium ones are not important (he just wants chocolate).  I'd rather walk around the promenade deck than to go to the gym.  Juice bar, eh... maybe.  So, doing the math, Not sure Plus is a good choice for us.  Thoughts? We are both Platinum, if that matters.  

2 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

After factoring out gratuities, it's 34.50 a day for drinks and wifi.

I don't understand all the errors with Crew Appreciation (not just you).  The new minimum cost of CA is $16/pp/day.  Add $1 for Mini's and $2 for Suites, IIRC.

So, the gap is $44/pp/day for drinks and MedallionNet (wifi is free).

If you are using Internet, then the gap reduces to $29/pp/day if have to pay full prices for MedallionNet, or reduces to $36.50/pp/day if you are eligible for 50% discount on MedallionNet.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1