Which Alaska itinerary and ship would you pick?

I am deciding between these 2:

HAL volendam June 28 to July 5th going to Tracy Arm, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay and Ketchikan.

Or

RCCL Brilliance of the seas Aug 27 to Sep 3 going to Sitka, Skagway, Haines, Juneau, Tracy Arm.

I've read negative reviews about Volendam but also read that Glacier Bay is a must see.  I've been on many RCCL ships so I am familiar with that cruise line but am happy to try HAL as well.

Thanks for any input.

Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay in one cruise is a good deal if you want serious glacier viewing.

We liked personally Tracy Arm better than Glacier Bay. So both would be fine choices. Go for the ship you like best. Nothing wrong with the Volendam, hard to really evaluate "negative reviews" - some seem so petty and even mean-spirited over some trivial matter.

The smaller ship the better for us, since it is easier to get from one side of the ship to the other incase of any wildlife spotting.

Also depends on where you are leaving from: Vancouver or Seattle?  And are you avoiding the Sunday to Sunday 7 day crowds when multiple ships can be in port at the same time, or does one ship leave mid-week.

I also like the enclosed glass dome Lido pool area on the Volendam for a warm viewing retreat. Plus the numbers of windows in the public passages and  other public viewing spaces on HAL ships keeps you in close contact with Alaska itself. (MDR, CrowsNest.)  Don't know about your other ship's open spaces and public viewing opportunities.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, kj_connections said:

Thank you for the replies, you've all confirmed the Pros of Volendam I forgot to consider! (Wed to wed, covered pool and smaller ship making it easier to go from one side to the other for wildlife spotting)

Add a midship elevator also.  Cuts down on the walking for me.  The larger HAL ships also have this, but it can be a decent walk as both have three banks of elevators.

• Like 1

One benefit I always mention is when you pick another cruise line, you get to take photos of the beautiful HAL ships in the background of your Glacier Bay shots.

Otherwise if you are on the HAL ship,  you get stuck with some other brand's ugly duckling ships in your money shots.  🤢

• Haha 7

Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm are two entirely different experiences. Glacier Bay is a lot of glaciers, with some pretty scenery as a frame. Tracy Arm is pretty scenery, which happens to have two glaciers at the end (North Sawyer Glacier, and South Sawyer Glacier). You may or may not get near enough to see much of either glacier, depending on how much ice there is. One time we were so far back, around a bed, that I had to strain my neck to get a glimpse of white. 

The opportunity to do Tracy Arm on a catamaran shore excursion is a much better experience, as far as seeing the glacier(s) goes. Glacier Bay is the better glacier experience of the two. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Glacier Bay for us was the absolute highlight of our Alaska cruise so I’d look for an itinerary that includes it. 

We sailed on the Westerdam and, while the quality, service, and cuisine were much better than anything we’ve ever experienced on Royal Caribbean, we found the ship to be a bit on the gloomy and depressing side. We then sailed on the Nieuw Statendam (part of HAL’s Pinnacle class along with Koningsdam and Rotterdam) and we loved it. More modern, brighter, and tasteful while still maintaining the traditional touches that HAL is known for.

If I could do Glacier Bay on a Pinnacle class ship, that would be my choice.

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 2

I vote for Volendam, but it took me longer to think about it than I expected.

+ for Volendam:

Glacier Bay - the best Alaska scenery experience that lasts almost a full day

Full promenade

Deck 6 viewing area in the front above the bow viewing area and just below the bridge

Heated spa chairs

+ for Brilliance of the Seas

Haines and Sitka - More authentic towns, and more chance to do boat excursions for whales and other marine mammals

Bigger spa

More shipboard activities

Less likely to feel the boat motion, though both go through the inside passage so may not matter much

At the best weather, the Volendam wins out. If your cruise is mostly under bad weather, the Brilliance of Seas would offer less buyers remorse. Alaska weather is a crapshoot, so can't help you there. But bad weather or good, you'll want to return to Alaska after your cruise, for different reasons!

I correct myself - my own preference was for Hubbard Glacier over Glacier Bay, which is not even offered in this choice. Lost track of the various Alaska offerings,  after too many trips up this way.

In fact, I have never been to Tracy Arm, so please disregard my prior preference of this option. Though that small boat excursion at Tracy Arm sounds like a really good thing to do. Hope to get there someday myself.

4 hours ago, aliaschief said:
19 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

One benefit I always mention is when you pick another cruise line, you get to take photos of the beautiful HAL ships in the background of your Glacier Bay shots.

Otherwise if you are on the HAL ship,  you get stuck with some other brand's ugly duckling ships in your money shots.  🤢

Love it!

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I haven’t been on a RCCL ship in a long time but just sailed the Volendam.   DH says it has noted wear but I found it clean and never crowded even though the ship was near capacity.  The rooms are generously sized.  Even by HAL standards the crew is exceptional and make up for any shortcomings of the ship.

I do like both Tracy Arm and Glacier bay.  Glacier bay is a National Park and one of my rules is if near a national park - go.   The government does seem to have the best real estate. 

• Like 2

The full promenade on HAL ships is wonderful inAlaska - loved it for viewing on the two week Maasdam some years ago, Also I love the HAL staterooms on the Lower Promenade Deck which are becoming extinct. 

And everyone should go into Glacier Bay at least once.

• Like 2

The Volendam is a smaller older ship that was refurbished in 2022. We are sailing on her next year for a Boston to Montreal cruise, and because she is smaller, we will visit a couple of ports bigger ships don't. If you want to have a balcony you will need to book at least a Vista Suite category cabin, we did for our cruise next year. The Volendam does not have any standard verandah cabins. Our first HAL cruise was a Panama Canal cruise on the Volendam in 2007.

• Like 1

I took my elderly parents to Alaska back in Aug 2018. We did a land tour first then boarded the Radiance of the Seas at Skagway. When in Ketchikan, we were able to chat with the native artist that carved the totem pole on the Radiance, so that was super cool! We had fabulous weather for the entire trip, even saw the peak of Denali from the train plus we were so close to Hubbard that it felt like I could touch the glacier.

But, I booked the Nieuw Amsterdam for this August for hubby's birthday and then we're doing 5 days of land touring afterwards, mostly via train. I wanted hubby to have a chance to see Glacier Bay and this north bound trip embarks on his birthday (a milestone).

I haven't been on the Volendam, but I did just book it for an 11-night Boston to Montreal in August 2024. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either. Just make sure you are allowed enough time in each port.

• Like 1

We were on the Volendam for an inside passage cruise before covid ... we had a lanai cabin - I would book a lanai on every ship if I could.  We loved the convenience of the lanai, and really enjoyed the small feel of the Volendam.  Haven't cruised on RCCL ... 

• Like 1