Jim_Iain Apex Key West, TansAtlantic and British Isle with a Week in Amsterdam

Jim_Iain

Gary and Jim, do either of you transfer or duplicate your reports in your cloud photo service or albums for the trip?   I realize menu, cruise planners, etc., and all the photos dont start here on CC, but I'm curious about your narratives (and how you keep your photos). 

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We will be in Amsterdam May 7-14.  We rented an AirBnB out near The museum park. 

We arrive on May 11th, and then take a train to Germany for a couple of nights.  Back on the 13th and sail out on the 14th.  Perhaps we will cross paths on the night of the 13th. 😁 

Your AirBnB sounds nice.  The last time we were there before a cruise, we rented one for 4 nights. Something we had not thought of was lot's of stairs with our luggage.  No elevator. 😯  This time, we will do nights at two different Hilton's before and after while in Amsterdam.  Also a Hilton for 2 nights in Belgium.  A privately owned hotel in Germany that we have stayed in before.  I do love the quaint places the best.

Have a great trip!!!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, kwokpot said:

This video of 9303 clearly shows it's a porthole Veranda. https://youtu.be/5fUmLWPmyIc

that,s EDGE..the rep said they made a few regular verandas by popular demand.. can only go by what she said .. we did not book it anyhow..

went with the SV.  

so sorry to have caused a detour to Jim's great thread!

2 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

I noticed that two of the hosts on Beyond last week rarely left the podium, and always seemed to be typing something. Other than them making an Eden reservation on Day 1, I don't believe we spoke to either of them. Hussein and Joao on Edge were all over the room and we talked to them almost every day.

There were two other servers that were very busy and I think when the lounge was very active they had trouble keeping up. 

We also noted several nights that the Lounge seemed much more crowded than on any of our other Retreat cruises. 

Our prime Retreat time was 5:15 - 6:15, give or take. 

mac_tlc

Agree Joao and Hussein are great.  Hussein even tracked us down at the Martini Bar one evening to resolve a dining reservation problem.  DH calls Joao “the all knowing one”, we have been fortunate to be on 4 sailing with Joao.  He was supposed to move to the Apex for this sailing but apparently plans changed.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have to retract what I said about the retreat hosts.  Tonight 100% attentive.   

Sounds like someone at corporate is reading this thread  and making needed changes .

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Cap_D said:

Gary and Jim, do either of you transfer or duplicate your reports in your cloud photo service or albums for the trip?   I realize menu, cruise planners, etc., and all the photos dont start here on CC, but I'm curious about your narratives (and how you keep your photos). 

There are several other members who have done many more and better live threads than me so my simplistic method may not be the normal for others. All I did was open the thread on my phone, dictate my post and then added photos in the same order of my comments. I usually needed to make a few adjustments and then I submitted the post. I didn't do anything with cloud services or other ways of organizing my thoughts or photos.

@Jim_Iain  I have a silly request.  If you happen to pass through the gym on your walks can you see if they have foam rollers?  (the kind to stretch legs)  We board on May 7th and I have been using one recently and really don't want to take up space for one if I don't need to.  Thanks

Loving your report so far and glad to hear the Retreat Hosts are back to hosting 🙂  We just can't wait for our cruise.

10 hours ago, hcat said:

that,s EDGE..the rep said they made a few regular verandas by popular demand.. can only go by what she said .. we did not book it anyhow..

went with the SV.  

so sorry to have caused a detour to Jim's great thread!

Did you look at the picture of the Apex?  There are definitely no regular verandas in that area but there are the Porthole verandas as indicated on the deck plan.  Stick with the SV if you want an open balcony.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jwlane said:

Unless you can tell us where, she was wrong.

I am not here to  debate or defend anyone..

she was reading from her APEX deck plans and info she had as an X rep..sometimes  it is wrong. 

. I spotted it on a posted APEX  deck plan near the SVs ..it did not show the symbol used for the IV so I asked about it..

we are booked and happy...others can investigate themselves...

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

Did you look at the picture of the Apex?  There are definitely no regular verandas in that area but there are the Porthole verandas as indicated on the deck plan.  Stick with the SV if you want an open balcony.  

yup..we are booked into an SV at a fair price...nice quiet area back there and great aft views of sea and sky..long walk to elevs but good to burn off calories..

I did not scrutinize  any photos.. we do not book that way.. but we def  would not enjoy a porthole anything.  I was passing along what I was told. by the rep.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

First - Retractions.   

I'm not sure if it was the fact that a complimentary dinner invitation was sent from a close contact in the executive office or just that broke the ice.   Last night 2 of the 3 hosts were very engaging and also strolling around the club and acting like the hosts we have become accustomed to. 

Or maybe they read my comment here --- Oops...   Iain does say I have no filter button at times.

Not much has changed on the bar service.   Luckily his contract ends at the end of this cruise and hopefully we will get a much better one.     The bad news is Patrick (server) will also be leaving

• Like 8

Just now, Jim_Iain said:

First - Retractions.   

I'm not sure if it was the fact that a complimentary dinner invitation was sent from a close contact in the executive office or just that broke the ice.   Last night 2 of the 3 hosts were very engaging and also strolling around the club and acting like the hosts we have become accustomed to. 

Or maybe they read my comment here --- Oops...   Iain does say I have no filter button at times.

Not much has changed on the bar service.   Luckily his contract ends at the end of this cruise and hopefully we will get a much better one.     The bad news is Patrick (server) will also be leaving

Wishing you both a safe journey.  Given your experience with Covid on a prior cruise are you taking Paxlovid with you?

13 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Jim,

Your comments on your Retreat Host reminds me of the ones we had on Edge in early 2020, right before the shut down.  We spent 7 days and both of them never left their podium.  If you wanted to talk to them you went to the podium.  The podium was tucked around the corner from the entrance so no friendly greeting upon arrival in the Lounge at all. 

Cranston is a hard act for any other bar tender to follow.  I had to stop him from making my drink when he saw my glass half empty in case I wanted a different second drink.  The second time, he started asking me if I wanted my 'usual' or would I like something else.  

The podium on Apex is in the same location.

Another Superstar Retreat was Arlene - also from Jamaica -    I could just watch her scanning the room at all times and never had to even tap you glass.  

Then there was the Famous Alex on Summit -   she would mix drinks so strong and refill so often guests almost left crawling out of the bar on hands and knees.  

• Haha 3

On 4/18/2023 at 9:36 AM, Jim_Iain said:

At dinner last night a couple came over to introduce themselves.   They don't participate on CC but @countess5 sent them screen shots of Iain pinching the sculpture's rear and me with the feather hat on.      After chatting they said they may just have to find out what CC is all about.   

Really fun couple.

Wow!

I am so glad you met Carol and Andy. A great couple we cruise with and will be in Japan with next May! Sorry for the pics I shared, all I had at the time but it does express your great personalities! 

The pic they sent us of you guys is a lot better! 😂

IMG_0578.thumb.jpeg.3d6c549411009b05409f7c10a2b26eaf.jpeg

Cheers! 

• Like 20

13 hours ago, Cruising Is Bliss said:

I've been thinking about doing a live blog for my next cruise. For such a long cruise (94 days) I'll be keeping a personal travel diary anyway. Could you estimate about how much time it takes you each day?

It is fun to do.    I originally started doing mine so our Kids could follow along and see what we were doing.  Much easier than an occasional picture on Facebook. 

I have to agree with others -   I often go to try to find something in an old blog and give up after searching 10 mages...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bunzini said:

This is the number one reason why I really don't like shore excursions booked through the cruise lines.  I mean I get it, a bathroom break, but when you have to stop and wait for 50 people to use the restroom, it is so annoying!  So as much as I can, I book independent tours.  Sometimes you have to find a way to spend that shipboard credit though!

Well said, we do not do cruise tours because I always say the only person I’ll wait for in a bathroom break is my DW! 

Cheers! 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, hcat said:

I am not here to  debate or defend anyone..

she was reading from her APEX deck plans and info she had as an X rep..sometimes  it is wrong. 

. I spotted it on a posted APEX  deck plan near the SVs ..it did not show the symbol used for the IV so I asked about it..

we are booked and happy...others can investigate themselves...

I'm not sure what you think you're seeing but on Celebrity's own website Cabin 9303 is classified as a P1 Deluxe Porthole View Stateroom with Veranda as are the others you're on Deck 8 you're claiming are traditional verandas.Please don't give out wrong information. You do a disservice to all who read these posts. The Apex is a ship that thousands of people, including myself have sailed on. You're not some special person that 'discovered' some kind of secret cabin category. That's utter nonsense. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 3

Late to the conversation on 43, but it is a fantastic drink. I found out that Celebrity carried it over our winter cruises. A double every night before turning in. Mmmmmmm!

Just a comment on service, we sailed Equinox Reflection and Beyond all B2B Side to side this winter. We found the bar service on Beyond was the worse. As was said they could stock the bar or as we called them “swoopers”. They would come by swoop up your empty glass and not ask can I get you something else. Reflection and Equinox was fantastic! 

Not sure the attitude or training on the E class ships. I will say however the Retreat on Edge, when she came out, wasn’t bad. 

Cheers! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Jim,

Your comments on your Retreat Host reminds me of the ones we had on Edge in early 2020, right before the shut down.  We spent 7 days and both of them never left their podium.  If you wanted to talk to them you went to the podium.  The podium was tucked around the corner from the entrance so no friendly greeting upon arrival in the Lounge at all. 

Cranston is a hard act for any other bar tender to follow.  I had to stop him from making my drink when he saw my glass half empty in case I wanted a different second drink.  The second time, he started asking me if I wanted my 'usual' or would I like something else.  

Cranston is the best but I think Celebrity are not being too nice to him. When we last sailed they have brought some other bartenders into the retreat who are not as good. Cranston has been moved for some shifts to the OVC. Why no-one knows and Cranston being Cranston is as professional as ever.

13 hours ago, MarKay525 said:

We had a similar experience on the Apex last December. Three guests standing in front of the podium and the Retreat Host on duty did not even look up to acknowledge our existence. I realize she was busy with something, but to not even acknowledge us....

I finally gave up and left.

I mentioned it the next day to another of the Hosts who had been really helpful on our first day - just suggested she mention to her co-worker that an "I'll be with you in a moment" would be nice. I did receive a phone call from the non-attentive Host who apologized several times.

I’m glad mentioned it to them.  Better than waiting and them make the comment in the survey. 

one problem with a multi segment cruise is you hold back a bit bit to keep good will.  I have however say have also complained about the poor service of a Sommelier once, to Iain horror.  I just mentioned to the Luminae that it would ne nice to get a bit more attentive server as I got up and filled his glass from the bottle he bought. 

That night the Hotel Director and Hesd Sommelier called and apologized.   Next night the Head Sommelier came by the table with a beautiful  bottle of wine and said he would be taking care of us for the remainder of the cruise.  The other one I felt like gave us the evil eye every time we past. 

• Like 4