Cruising-along still with a faint red line on her test

Broward County flooding

Nashville school shooting victims/KY bank shooting victims

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

Tupper10 recovering from back surgery

NextOne needing valve surgery

Luvteaching’s DH in rehab

Status of St. Louis Sal (6/29/22), JAM37 (6/20/22), IrishJim (10/31/22)

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage GTVCRUISER!

Welcome to the Daily Denise T!

Luvteaching’s DH showing improvement

Many Dailyites cruising or with upcoming cruises

5 Days for Oceansaway17 (Vision of the Seas 4/21 to 5/1)

6 Days for JazzyV (Celebrity Apex 4/22 to 5/7)

7 Days for Lady Hudson * Anthem of the Seas 4/23 to 5/1)

Cruzn Single (Rotterdam to 4/19), Vict0riann (Rotterdam to 4/19), GTVCRUISER (NCL Jewel to 4/23), aliaschief & DWAliaschief (Eurodam to 4/28) Kplady (Grand Princess to 4/28), Sailingdutchy (Rotterdam to 4/29), St Pete Cruiser (Noordam to 5/2), TiogaCruiser (Volendam to 5/2), Overhead Fred’s Anniversary cruise (Rotterdam to 5/6), AV8rix (Volendam to 5/6), Dismomx5 (Volendam to 5/6), USN59-79 (Westerdam to 5/7), Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, Richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/12), and Sharon in AZ (Volendam to 5/17) at sea

• Like 21
  • Thanks 12

Thank you for today's fleet reports and Daily Sandi @StLouisCruisers.

Today's sermon was slightly longer so 2 videos.

It Is cloudy and 42°F here.

3 interesting days but not sure about the quote or food today.

We have never been to today's port so I'm looking forward to seeing photos.

Church service starts in 5 minutes and I have offered prayers 🙏 for all who are unwell on our care list.

I hope everyone has a lovely day.

Graham 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Good morning friends!  Here where I live it is 63 degrees, cloudy with a high of 75 expected.  We have a chance of a thunderstorm here and there during the day.  In the news at my house, the eldest DGS in Michigan turns 18 today so Happy Birthday Kai!  The family is all together in "A squared" as we call their hometown, because there was only one soccer game for Ren this weekend.  And what a game!  Congrats to Ren and the Michigan Jaguars who won 10 to 0 yesterday!  Ren scored 2 goals and had 2 assists and sat out the last 30 minutes of the game with that kind of lead.  No need to tempt fate and get injured!  

Thank you Rich @richwmn for our Fleet Report and Daily.  This Sunday morning we have Save the Elephant Day, Mushroom Day, and National Bean Counter Day.  A salute to the elephant population and let's hope they are being well protected wherever they live.🐘  I like most mushrooms, and have nothing against a bean counter as long as they are realistic and not ruthless.  No offense to any bean counters out there!  The dish of the day is roasted vegetable baked falafel sandwiches.  That's a mouthful!  😁  The drink is It's Bitter to Be Hoppy 🍹 and the wine is a pinot noir from New Zealand I believe. 🍷   Quite a variety so thank you Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for all the explanations today.  See if you can win me over because I will take a pass on them all right about now.  😉

Prayers for all on the Care list this morning 🙏 and cheers to the very happy Celebration list people.🥂  Hoping everyone on a cruise is enjoying their day and slept well.  🚢  Many thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for stepping in for Roy.

The port today is Whittier, Alaska.  This is a port you see in many Alaska cruises at one end or the other.  This was our port on September 9, 2021 and July 16, 2022 and I will post the links for you.  Please post your photos if you have some.  Mine are below also.

We went to Whittier twice.  In 2009 we did B2B 7 day Alaska cruises roundtrip Vancouver so had turnaround day there.  Then in 2010 we ended up there after an Asian cruise that began in Bangkok (Laem Chabang).  So we just got on a bus and headed to the Anchorage airport to fly home.

There isn't much to see in Whittier as you can see.  I checked and the population of Whittier is about 205 people (2020).  The entire town lives in one high rise building.  They have a grocery store and other services in the building itself so they don't even need to step outside most of the time.  I would assume the majority of the people work at the harbor with ships coming in or boat charters or fishing.  

This is what the town looks like in May with the snow still on the mountains.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLq1jzKwglVfC8qdCSnrzVS4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616011392

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIYO6y_QvHyVBu4xSIJAXZwV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616011387

Like I said before on the 2010 trip we were heading to the airport so this is about all we saw.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKJY_LCb4xovP0hX--QNyzY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616011386

I'm not sure what this building is but it looks like it would work great as a restaurant and hotel.  I wonder how many people actually come here to spend the night though?00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIq2I0V3_k3qtoS0T7LXoyo4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616011397

This photo was taken Sept. 12, 2009 on our B2B.  Notice the lack of snow.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIu16TT94kF6i0Bol3eKrGL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188336

The high rise residential building00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJCPoNg8ZBdAjATm-0RyemY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188339

Rainy weather is common here.  In this photo you see the road from Anchorage and even buses coming toward the ship with new passengers ready to embark.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLJ1jIpuZwa8O-_Ni835HWx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188345

The mists which are probably common here.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ3HUI9vRCzuIu5-XSWqDd8?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188349

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLrrzDOxlFw_KR1qbKQzmcT?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188356

A truckful of luggage coming probably from the cruise line hotel in Anchorage.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI1HIxnoTpdi-nP6HZ6gccS?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188362

If anyone has actually gotten off the ship and walked around the "town" please enlighten us as to what you have seen.  I would love to know, and if I ever get back to Whittier I'll get off the ship even if it is raining.  I promise!

Wishing everyone a very nice Sunday.  Stay safe and be kind.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 7

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

I'm happy to report we've got another nice day in the forecast, with a high of 25°C (77°F).  However, rain moves in overnight and tomorrow will be a lot cooler.  Oh well, it was nice while it lasted, and we do need the rain.

An interesting collection of days.  Elephants need protection.  Bean counters do an important job but I hope they do not become too carried away and forget about other things.  I'm not a big fan of mushrooms, but they're okay.

I like the quote, life can be so many things at many different times.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing recipes.  I hope I'll like the drink and wine too.

I've never been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.

• Like 22

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  Here where I live it is 63 degrees, cloudy with a high of 75 expected.  We have a chance of a thunderstorm here and there during the day.  In the news at my house, the eldest DGS in Michigan turns 18 today so Happy Birthday Kai!  The family is all together in "A squared" as we call their hometown, because there was only one soccer game for Ren this weekend.  And what a game!  Congrats to Ren and the Michigan Jaguars who won 10 to 0 yesterday!  Ren scored 2 goals and had 2 assists and sat out the last 30 minutes of the game with that kind of lead.  No need to tempt fate and get injured!  

Thank you Rich @richwmn for our Fleet Report and Daily.  This Sunday morning we have Save the Elephant Day, Mushroom Day, and National Bean Counter Day.  A salute to the elephant population and let's hope they are being well protected wherever they live.🐘  I like most mushrooms, and have nothing against a bean counter as long as they are realistic and not ruthless.  No offense to any bean counters out there!  The dish of the day is roasted vegetable baked falafel sandwiches.  That's a mouthful!  😁  The drink is It's Bitter to Be Hoppy 🍹 and the wine is a pinot noir from New Zealand I believe. 🍷   Quite a variety so thank you Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for all the explanations today.  See if you can win me over because I will take a pass on them all right about now.  😉

Prayers for all on the Care list this morning 🙏 and cheers to the very happy Celebration list people.🥂  Hoping everyone on a cruise is enjoying their day and slept well.  🚢  Many thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for stepping in for Roy.

The port today is Whittier, Alaska.  This is a port you see in many Alaska cruises at one end or the other.  This was our port on September 9, 2021 and July 16, 2022 and I will post the links for you.  Please post your photos if you have some.  Mine are below also.

We went to Whittier twice.  In 2009 we did B2B 7 day Alaska cruises roundtrip Vancouver so had turnaround day there.  Then in 2010 we ended up there after an Asian cruise that began in Bangkok (Laem Chabang).  So we just got on a bus and headed to the Anchorage airport to fly home.

There isn't much to see in Whittier as you can see.  I checked and the population of Whittier is about 205 people (2020).  The entire town lives in one high rise building.  They have a grocery store and other services in the building itself so they don't even need to step outside most of the time.  I would assume the majority of the people work at the harbor with ships coming in or boat charters or fishing.  

This is what the town looks like in May with the snow still on the mountains.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLq1jzKwglVfC8qdCSnrzVS4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616011392

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIYO6y_QvHyVBu4xSIJAXZwV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616011387

Like I said before on the 2010 trip we were heading to the airport so this is about all we saw.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKJY_LCb4xovP0hX--QNyzY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616011386

I'm not sure what this building is but it looks like it would work great as a restaurant and hotel.  I wonder how many people actually come here to spend the night though?00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIq2I0V3_k3qtoS0T7LXoyo4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616011397

This photo was taken Sept. 12, 2009 on our B2B.  Notice the lack of snow.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIu16TT94kF6i0Bol3eKrGL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188336

The high rise residential building00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJCPoNg8ZBdAjATm-0RyemY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188339

Rainy weather is common here.  In this photo you see the road from Anchorage and even buses coming toward the ship with new passengers ready to embark.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLJ1jIpuZwa8O-_Ni835HWx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188345

The mists which are probably common here.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ3HUI9vRCzuIu5-XSWqDd8?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188349

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLrrzDOxlFw_KR1qbKQzmcT?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188356

A truckful of luggage coming probably from the cruise line hotel in Anchorage.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI1HIxnoTpdi-nP6HZ6gccS?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188362

If anyone has actually gotten off the ship and walked around the "town" please enlighten us as to what you have seen.  I would love to know, and if I ever get back to Whittier I'll get off the ship even if it is raining.  I promise!

Wishing everyone a very nice Sunday.  Stay safe and be kind.

Fantastic photos Sandi.

Happy 18th birthday to Kai your grandson.

18th-birthday-49.gif

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good early morning,

Sleep has been evading me the past few nights. I snuck out of the bedroom but DGS found me. I have him sleeping on the sofa next to me. He has been with me since Friday which helps. My friend does not have much money and lives on social security and money she gets with part time work. I feel blessed to have money from DS sons estate and I have been using it to help others. I paid 3 months of her rent and gave her a food card. I know my son would approve. I hope it takes one burden off her shoulders. 

It is so windy here I had a hard time opening the door to let Molly out. Spring in Kansas!

I am so happy everyone made it to FLL. I wonder how many others didn’t make it. With all the help everyone gave the Dailylites they were definitely at an advantage. Prayers for all on the care list and have a wonderful day. 

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

It's Bitter to be Hoppy Cocktail:

Ingredients
1 1/2 parts Auchentoshan® American Oak Single Malt Scotch Whisky
1/2 part Aperol® Aperitif
1/4 part Grapefruit Juice
6 dashes Lemon Bitters
2 1/2 parts IPA Beer
Lemon Wheel

Instructions
Stir all ingredients and strain into a coupe glass. Garnish with a lemon wheel.

Screenshot 2023-04-16 at 6.46.12 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 10

Thank you Sandi & Rich for today’s R & D! A bit cloudy this morning and we could have some more rain today. 

Vanessa thank you for keeping track of all of us! Hope your bandage adjustment helps.  Just gym, Aldi, Bindi walks and plant checking for me. 

282BF450-0028-4266-86EF-995EC2D57608.jpeg.0834060032111058564a23e87da1b8ce.jpeg

BB9FE941-67CC-454E-B92E-0BD0CFD0A403.jpeg.1fce22cc65121f02f3e6d3b80fff3db8.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Valli Pinot Noir Central Otago Waitaki Vineyard 2020

Very elusive, but I did find at least one New Zealand distributor that would ship worldwide. It sounds lovely, though I would pass on the “roasted pigeon” pairing. Though it is just within my budget, I know the shipping costs would be quite hefty. Online distributor prices start at $47.27.

Raymond Chan’s review

Deep ruby-red, good clarity, lighter on the rim. The nose is perfumed, soft and enticing, with lifted aromas of dense cherries, raspberries, a suggestion of plums interweaving hibiscus and rose, fine black pepper powder and cinnamon. Medium-bodied, the palate is filled with concentrated aromas of cherries, raspberries and plums entwined with hibiscus and dark rose petals, unveiling cinnamon, fine pepper dusting and crunchy minerals. Vivacious flavour immersed, supported by lacy, lively acidity, persists a lasting, fragranced closing. Delicate and silky tannin extraction alongside a soft grip sustains vitality. This captivating Waitaki Pinot Noir possesses a concentrated red fruit spectrum with delicate floral and mineral details on a silky mouthfeel. Match with roasted pigeon and pork rillette over the next 10+ years. Clone 115, 777, Abel, UCD 5, 114, fermented with 20% whole bunch to 13% alc, aged 11 months in French oak barrels, 32% new oak. Unfined, unfiltered. 19+/20 pts (96 pts)

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 5

Good morning, everyone. Thanks for the daily. 

Up early this Sunday morning to get some exercise in. Working to get my diabetes back on track ever since I had Covid last year. Trying a new med (was on it several years ago which helped). So, working on a new exercise and nutrition program. 

Yeah, for Whittier! I will be sailing from Whittier on my Alaska trip on 5/28/2023. I will be flying to Anchorage on May 27th and taking the train to Whittier on the 28th. Thank you for the pictures. 

Going to the garden center later today to get supplies. It is supposed to be a nice warm and hopefully sunny day today. 

• Like 28

Good morning everyone from a cool, gray Ogunquit, Maine.  Elephants deserve all of our efforts to save them.  I like most mushrooms, morels will be popping up near my mom’s in northern Michigan soon.  This bean counter thinks that today’s quote is a bit too tutty for his liking.  The sandwiches sound nice but I’m not sure about the drink.  I haven’t been to today’s port yet.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and for those who need them.  Cheers to those of you celebrating happy events today!

• Like 23

Happy Sunday.  Thank you Rich, Sandi, Vanessa, Ann, Debbie, and Dixie.  I think for my career I would have been considered a bean counter.  Elephants are threatened despite their majesty.  I like the Channing quote but will pass on the mushrooms.  I visited Whitter just once, arriving on the ferry Kennicott in 2016.  It was the trip where I went through the Northwest Passage on Crystal Serenity, and I could have combined it with a Serenity cruise from Vancouver.  The ferry left Bellingham the same day Serenity left Vancouver but took 5 days rather than Serenity's 10.  With the extra 5 days I plugged in a Princess Denali land tour.  It's my only time with Princess and they do not consider me a past passenger.  Here's the ferry terminal in Whitter which is not the same as the cruise terminal:

whittier.jpg

I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Pinnacle Caesar Salad, Petit Filet, and Baked Alaska as served on MS Amsterdam's Pinnacle Grill April 16, 2014.

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. The weather is nice and cool, going up to sixty or so later. The sun has gone away for today. I love mushrooms but DD really does not so I often make things without and add them later after I have fixed her portion. Falafel is delicious but my attempts at making our own have failed. Maybe  Debbie @dfish can help with the recipes. The salmon packets were outstanding and I just got them properly cooked when the rain started yesterday.

I salute the Bean Counters and the elephants. We got as far as the tunnel for Whittier when we were exploring the Anchorage area . The quote requires more coffee.

Thanks to all for the great photos of Venice. I will be able to continue to visit in my dreams until I manage to actually get there!

@StLouisCruisers, Sandi, a very Happy Birthday to your DGS! Thank you for starting us up every day and  bringing us along on your travels.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning, @StLouisCruisers thank you for today’s report.  I’m curious about today’s meal suggestion and look forward to pictures and recipes from @dfish.  I’m planning on making a beef roast for tonight’s dinner.  During the running of errands yesterday I picked up six azaleas and got them planted yesterday.  The plants got some nice rain overnight.  I think I’m going to make a quick trip to Home Depot to pick up some ant traps as a preventative measure. 

I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.png.81a457c8013fa1f77116a0c95b170556.png

• Like 24

Good morning.  Thanks for starting us off Sandi with the Daily and Fleet Reports and Happy birthday to your GS.   I will pass on all the comestibles, bitters and IPA, a wine we can't get and vegetables as a main course.  Thanks for securing these for us nonetheless.     @JazzyV thanks for keeping our care and celebrations lists for us each day.   Prayers for all on our list, the shooting victims and the people of Ukraine.   

We have a complete turnaround in our weather from 80s to the 40s tomorrow with light snow.   I can run errands like groceries, Salvation Army drop off, manicure and buying more lettuce.  Our diets cause us to go through a lot of lettuce.    

@GTVCRUISER Bon Voyage!   

image.png.11487becac5a1c5de0d1a498ed70e759.png

Have a wonderful Sunday!   Nancy 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2