Japan 2024 canceled…

Tarwood3

I’m hearing cruise lines are having a hard time recruiting staff and are therefore having to reduce number of bookings and closing some restaurants. This is a familiar theme in retail in my part of the country.

Maybe an excuse for incompetence.  I did see that in 2018 Royal Caribbean and Celebrity had no overbookings and it’s doubtful their reservation system was changed during the pandemic.

Edited by Sstan

8 minutes ago, Tarwood3 said:

So are you calling me a liar?  

So please don’t imply I was a crazy Lady (I’m a guy, BTW).

We booked 14 mos ago and are Elite Plus….. hard to believe they have been taking reservations still for the last year and I’m one of the first to go?

Not at all. I do believe you that you’re male, and I do believe you heard what you heard.

I’m also not trying to apologize for Celebrity – you did not deserve to have this cruise canceled on you, nor do you deserve to have Celebrity give you the runaround about why.

But I don’t believe that’s actually what the rep said because no one else can corroborate that assertion. Quite the contrary – almost everyone else who has contacted Celebrity so far and posted its response was told all 2024 Japan cruises are still scheduled and happening.

As for the cruise taking reservations for the past year, it has barely been on the website because it was completely sold out (and apparently oversold – how that can even happen is beyond me), but it’s not like anyone has been able to book anything on that cruise for many many months.

I am surprised that the cruise did pop up recently on the website with a couple balcony cabins when Celebrity knew it was force cancelling people who were already booked.

I still disagree with everyone who thinks the cancellations were random. I’m not saying the criteria were fair, but it most definitely wasn’t random. It is an extremely popular cruise, and it’s likely there were many people who booked before those who were cancelled and who have higher status… assuming that was even Celebrity’s criteria. For all we know, it could have been alphabetical.

This article about the Oct 24 2023 Millennium sailing being oversold was published today: link

As an aside, I personally wish the compensation terms were better than what is currently being offered.

Edited by mahdnc

1 hour ago, Jeansplace said:

Ship changed for Solstice at 2,852 passengers to Millennium at 2,138 passengers. So there is the problem

Interesting, my dumb guess is that they decided to change the ship, but neglected to adjust the capacity in the booking system. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

At least one other person was told that all Around Japan cruises are cancelled

Or that one other person you are referring to has read, and is now spreading, the same claim, which was also posted on FB.

Edited by RichYak
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, nwcruiselover said:

Has anyone had any indication from either Celebrity or a TA when those of us who aren’t canceled can breathe a sigh of relief?  Have all the cancelation emails gone out?

Best question of the day award! 5*****🏆

Yep, can't book anything else for this cruise until the all clear is sounded.

Edited by Longhorn-ED

7 minutes ago, nwcruiselover said:

Has anyone had any indication from either Celebrity or a TA when those of us who aren’t canceled can breathe a sigh of relief?  Have all the cancelation emails gone out?

My daughter who booked directly on the site and had a guaranteed stateroom, inside cabin, just received a call 15 mins ago, and she got canceled. So it is still ongoing. She was booked on the 9/30 cruise, so are my husband and I, we haven't heard anything yet. Seems like there is no rhyme or reason. 

Hi Everyone, we were one of the unlucky people to have our Nov 5 2023 best of southern Japan cancelled due to overbooking. When I asked the costumer service rep how we got so unlucky she said they went in order of booking date. We were ocean view, guaranteed, with a $900 deposit. Good thing we hadn’t bought airline tickets. The offered $450 pp discount on next cruise to be used in 12-months which won’t work for us. Never again in Celebrity. If you sail to Japan hope it’s an awesome trip

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, seaworthyDC said:

Hi Everyone, we were one of the unlucky people to have our Nov 5 2023 best of southern Japan cancelled due to overbooking. When I asked the costumer service rep how we got so unlucky she said they went in order of booking date. We were ocean view, guaranteed, with a $900 deposit. Good thing we hadn’t bought airline tickets. The offered $450 pp discount on next cruise to be used in 12-months which won’t work for us. Never again in Celebrity. If you sail to Japan hope it’s an awesome trip

I have seen a number of people, fully paid and booked 14 months ago that have been cancelled, so booking date doesn't seem to make a difference. I wonder if Contact Centre reps are just grasping at the closest reason for who gets cancelled? There is also someone with 6 linked cabins, all booked at same time who has had 3 cancelled!

22 hours ago, EllaDuChien said:

The October 24, 2023 was supposed to be my son's HS graduation cruise, but since he graduated in 2020, its been cancelled twice and rebooked.  We have two cabins, my sons (25 &21) in one cabin and my mom and I in the other (ages redacted!).  We had originally booked a balcony cabin, but just this afternoon got a call from Celebrity to move to Concierge Class because of the overbooking issue. 

I came here to see if anyone else had gotten a call and I am so sorry to see some people got cancelled!  

We are hopeful that this one actually goes forward as a Japan cruise is the only thing my son wanted to visit for his graduation.  Each time we got cancelled, we would ask him if he wanted to switch to a different cruise instead and he always chose the lift & shift option, which is why we are celebrating High School graduation with my 21 year old!

Well they cancelled my sons cabin.  No email but they called, I am on the phone waiting for a supervisor now, but I do not have a lot of hope.  Now to just see how I can make this better for my son. 😥

3 hours ago, Parkland Hiker said:

We had just booked our flights 2 days before we got the cancellation notice from Celebrity!  We haven’t done anything about cancelling the flights yet.  Considering just flying to Japan anyway and doing our own land-only tour.  Cruising around Japan doesn’t appear to be a strong possibility anymore 

This is what we did in 2019.  We were originally going in the Fall to see the maples and we were going to take a cruise, but then decided that it may be our only trip to Japan and we'd prefer to see the cherry trees, so we switched to doing a self land tour.  We love cruising, but have no regrets in changing to a land tour.  The trees will be in various stages of bloom across the country and doing a self tour allowed us the flexibility to plan our own itinerary and get to some places a cruise just can't go.  Either way, I hope you get to go.  It was an amazing trip.

• Like 1

Here is something I do not understand. We have seen involuntary cancellations for itineraries in September October November and then March and April. No reports from December January or February.

Are we to conclude that the only

sold out (and thus possibly overbooked cruises) are the ones which are scheduled to visit Japan?  The others are not?  Seems odd.

The ship substitution would have affected all of those cruises, so why only the Japan cruises got double booked?

Edited by cruisestitch

I don’t know the answer for any cruise line other than Celebrity.  But during December January and February the ship goes south.  My point is, since the ship substitution affects all of the Cruises, why are only the Japan cruises having the overbooked situation?

18 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Here is something I do not understand. We have seen involuntary cancellations for itineraries in September October November and then March and April. No reports from December January or February.

Are we to conclude that the only

sold out (and thus possibly overbooked cruises) are the ones which are scheduled to visit Japan?  The others are not?  Seems odd.

The ship substitution would have affected all of those cruises, so why only the Japan cruises got double booked?

This is the chart of affected cruises posted originally by someone from their email.

img_1_1681783961816.thumb.jpg.cb5181904b5210a9ff6bd3fda7cdc9a0.jpg