Japan 2024 canceled…

Tarwood3

Just now, clojacks said:

Why would you do this? People who have paid in full have also been cancelled. It's not just those who only have a deposit down? I'm kind of confused by this strategy. As has been mentioned, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to those bookings that are getting cancelled.

I saw on another thread that someone spoke with X and they heard that fully paid fares were being given preference over deposits only. It's always worth a shot.

1 hour ago, hawkesbaynz said:

Just got an email from Celebrity. Thought 'here we go'. However it was an itinerary change for a Solstice SE Asia cruise in the Fall.

We are doing SE Asia in December.  What was the itinerary change?

2 hours ago, mahdnc said:

We are doing SE Asia in December.  What was the itinerary change?

we received some port time changes yesterday for the Feb 2024 Solstice - leaving Hue 2 hours later and arriving Halong Bay the next day 90 min later

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

An option they did not do, and perhaps never even considered, would be something like the airlines do when a flight is oversold. They ask for volunteers to travel at a later time for some compensation.

Celebrity could have written to everyone on the cruise asking if anyone was interested in being voluntarily bumped from their cruise to another time and date.

instead they resorted to involuntary bumps which has done nothing but cause stress to all who are booked on Japan cruises for 2023 and 2024.

I wholeheartedly agree that this would’ve been the fairest way to do it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jojo1966 said:

just done a mock booking for ours departing 27th May 2024 and still plenty of cabins to choose from so hoping all is well with that one.

8 hours ago, pukekolive said:

Was that for a balcony- it seems the overbookings were for balcony cabins.

I have read elsewhere (having waded through some rude and 'shouty' comments) on other threads that sailings on the schedule after a certain date are new additions and therefore those that were cancelled in previous years due to Covid wouldn't have had the opportunity to book onto the new(er) released sailings so they are less likely to be oversold etc.

I don't know what stock to place in that given the tone with which the information was relayed.

I too am booked on 27/04/24 sailing in a V2 and there is plenty of available still showing. I am concerned as to the whole 'season' and their intentions for Millienium as others are and I don't think this is unreasonable.

7 hours ago, hawkesbaynz said:

Am on the 9th April 2024 sailing too! As anyone who uses British Airways Avios will know you need to book Tokyo flights 355 days out. I have been up the last two nights to 1am attempting to book the outbound flight in Business Class. Have been knackered at work Monday & Tuesday so will be well peeved if I do not use the flights.

We did not lift and shift. We were twice on earlier sailings but cancelled prior when things did not look rosy with Covid. Hope that does not count against us. I think I booked the first week it was out as have a SV cabin which go pretty quick.

I have actually paid for the cruise as needed to hit an Amex target (thus the avios) and am retiring this year and want all my holidays paid for. Bit daft as saving accounts are available. I have later X cruises I could move a FCC to.

Oddly I can still book Shore Excursions on the website. I have actually already organised small group tours through Tours by Locals (thanks @MiamiNice for the tips).

I was on an Oceania cruise in November which was oversold. They were offering generous inducements for people to shift. I think if I had purely booked the cruise, without the numerous moves and now financial outlay, I would be relatively happy to shift if i was given decent inducement. However I am not for shifting.

Just want to pick your brains on this if I may and apologies to others for the off-topic question. I am booked on the 27/05/24 sailing and intend to redeem a BA 2-4-1 companion voucher to hopefully fly to HND in J. We plan on heading out to Tokyo at least 4 nights before so I have the T-355 date marked in my calendar.

Did you phone the US office to book? I note you had to stay up two nights, do I infer it wasn't an easy process? Finally I take it they keep the trip 'open' for you to add in the homeward leg when it is released and it is all held under the same redemption?

I have redeemed companion vouchers before but always through the UK office and never in two seperate calls so not sure what to expect.

On the ShoreEx topic, I am delighted that Celebrity let you use OBC to book tours in advance and I've used up all $750 of my credit already plus some cash on top  - scary!

12 minutes ago, Captain-John said:

I have read elsewhere (having waded through some rude and 'shouty' comments) on other threads that sailings on the schedule after a certain date are new additions and therefore those that were cancelled in previous years due to Covid wouldn't have had the opportunity to book onto the new(er) released sailings so they are less likely to be oversold etc.

I don't know what stock to place in that given the tone with which the information was relayed.

I too am booked on 27/04/24 sailing in a V2 and there is plenty of available still showing. I am concerned as to the whole 'season' and their intentions for Millienium as others are and I don't think this is unreasonable.

Just want to pick your brains on this if I may and apologies to others for the off-topic question. I am booked on the 27/05/24 sailing and intend to redeem a BA 2-4-1 companion voucher to hopefully fly to HND in J. We plan on heading out to Tokyo at least 4 nights before so I have the T-355 date marked in my calendar.

Did you phone the US office to book? I note you had to stay up two nights, do I infer it wasn't an easy process? Finally I take it they keep the trip 'open' for you to add in the homeward leg when it is released and it is all held under the same redemption?

I have redeemed companion vouchers before but always through the UK office and never in two seperate calls so not sure what to expect.

On the ShoreEx topic, I am delighted that Celebrity let you use OBC to book tours in advance and I've used up all $750 of my credit already plus some cash on top  - scary!

You are better off asking your flight question either in the air forum or Japan forum.

21 hours ago, omeinv said:

No.  I have no idea how they are making that decision.  I can conceive of any number of methods, and none of them are going to avoid upsetting the affected passengers. I was really hopeful the fifth time was going to be the charm, so my fingers are crossed. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Hopefully they use the first in are safe method.  I booked Alaska for May of 2024 back in Nove 2022, the first day they went on sale.  Hopefully they account for that if it happens to me.

Just now, ScottC4746 said:

Hopefully they use the first in are safe method.  I booked Alaska for May of 2024 back in Nove 2022, the first day they went on sale.  Hopefully they account for that if it happens to me.

I hope so too.  My booking was December of 2019, and the newest in our group was April of 2020.  🙂

Harris

Denver, CO

@mahdnc the itinerary change was for a ?3rd November Singapore to Hong Kong. Just a change with an increased time in the stop at Chan May/Hue and a later arrival at Halong Bay. Actually a bonus as we will now have time to arrange a tour for Hue.

@Captain-John I usually manage to book the flights 355 days prior by booking immediately at midnight when GMT & 1am if BST. Always online and have even done when on a cruise mid-Caribbean. Managed Santiago/Buenos Aires/Singapore/Hong Kong within the last year and all booked by 00.05 or 01.05. However on Sunday although I provisionally snagged seats on the website they went by the time I paid. Last night I called USA at 00.45 and spoke to a chap in the Manchester office by 00.50. Gave him all the details and he booked two seats with our 2-4-1. 90,000 & £800. I will need to do the same for the return and ask the rep. to link to this flight.  Have a look at the Head for Points forum. It is a pain but worth it when you turn left for an economy price! Unfortunately DW refuses to fly economy now so If I did not do this I would only sail ex-Southampton. 

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Miaminice said:

Cruises are not cancelled, just individual bookings.
This is the email received.

877ACA5B-4D03-44CF-B5E6-6FC9E66B1B18.jpeg.220bfdfe2d19eaaf560271b33025c2f6.jpeg

C7247810-1AA5-4DEE-986F-FC3DA80494BE.jpeg.ea404377b8b7d9be1666a3bc70ab8fd3.jpeg

One of the alternatives X has offered in this letter is wrong - 18th October 2024 is the departure date of the 11 night NE Asia cruise from Tokyo (Yokohama) to Singapore, which I am booked on.  Not the 12 night 'Best of Japan' cruise.  Unless my cruise on 18th Oct 2024 has been changed too?  Geez.  What a balls up.

The October 24, 2023 was supposed to be my son's HS graduation cruise, but since he graduated in 2020, its been cancelled twice and rebooked.  We have two cabins, my sons (25 &21) in one cabin and my mom and I in the other (ages redacted!).  We had originally booked a balcony cabin, but just this afternoon got a call from Celebrity to move to Concierge Class because of the overbooking issue. 

I came here to see if anyone else had gotten a call and I am so sorry to see some people got cancelled!  

We are hopeful that this one actually goes forward as a Japan cruise is the only thing my son wanted to visit for his graduation.  Each time we got cancelled, we would ask him if he wanted to switch to a different cruise instead and he always chose the lift & shift option, which is why we are celebrating High School graduation with my 21 year old!

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, EllaDuChien said:

The October 24, 2023 was supposed to be my son's HS graduation cruise, but since he graduated in 2020, its been cancelled twice and rebooked.  We have two cabins, my sons (25 &21) in one cabin and my mom and I in the other (ages redacted!).  We had originally booked a balcony cabin, but just this afternoon got a call from Celebrity to move to Concierge Class because of the overbooking issue. 

I came here to see if anyone else had gotten a call and I am so sorry to see some people got cancelled!  

We are hopeful that this one actually goes forward as a Japan cruise is the only thing my son wanted to visit for his graduation.  Each time we got cancelled, we would ask him if he wanted to switch to a different cruise instead and he always chose the lift & shift option, which is why we are celebrating High School graduation with my 21 year old!

Congratulations on the upgrade to Concierge class.

4 hours ago, Judy Arthur said:

I wholeheartedly agree that this would’ve been the fairest way to do it.

Me too.  If they had asked for volunteers, they probably would have gotten a good number of folks.  And no one would have been slighted.

The way they just picked some folks and not others is totally unreasonable.  And some got upgrades!  And some are getting downgrades!  Doesn't make much sense.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Here is an article about Wonder of the Seas being oversold for the Mar 12 2023 seven night sailing:

https://www.cruisehive.com/worlds-largest-cruise-ship-oversold-for-spring-break/95664

The article details the different options that Royal Caribbean offered.

Royal is offering better compensation for their goof ups than Celebrity?  Why? 

30 minutes ago, Arubamoose said:

Me too.  If they had asked for volunteers, they probably would have gotten a good number of folks.  And no one would have been slighted.

The way they just picked some folks and not others is totally unreasonable.  And some got upgrades!  And some are getting downgrades!  Doesn't make much sense.

And some with multiple cabins had half only canceled!

5 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Here is an article about Wonder of the Seas being oversold for the Mar 12 2023 seven night sailing:

https://www.cruisehive.com/worlds-largest-cruise-ship-oversold-for-spring-break/95664

The article details the different options that Royal Caribbean offered.

How do you oversell a ship that holds 8000 passengers? WOW!

17 hours ago, Miaminice said:

Cruises are not cancelled, just individual bookings.
This is the email received.

877ACA5B-4D03-44CF-B5E6-6FC9E66B1B18.jpeg.220bfdfe2d19eaaf560271b33025c2f6.jpeg

C7247810-1AA5-4DEE-986F-FC3DA80494BE.jpeg.ea404377b8b7d9be1666a3bc70ab8fd3.jpeg

This is strange because the Millennium sailing on Oct 18, 2024 out of Tokyo is 11 night (not 12 as listed above) and ends in Singapore.