Japan 2024 canceled…

Tarwood3

4 hours ago, Novastar said:

Which cruise were you on? We are booked for the May 15, 2024 cruise of Japan. I haven't been called and all the Japan cruises are still showing as available to book.

On April 9th sailing….email we got said that we were being canceled because of oversold reason, but when we talked to the rep in charge of these sailings, she told us MIllenium won’t be in Japan at all??? So I don’t know what to believe. 

4 hours ago, omeinv said:

I just got off the phone with Celebrity.  The cruises are NOT cancelled, they are OVERSOLD, so they are having to cancel and re-book certain people. 

Harris

Denver, CO

It’s been very contradictory.  Email we got said overbooked, so canceling us..we booked over a year ago. But when we talked to the rep in charge of this mess, she told us that MIllenium wasn’t going to be in Japan at all …??? So who knows?

1 minute ago, Tarwood3 said:

It’s been very contradictory.  Email we got said overbooked, so canceling us..we booked over a year ago. But when we talked to the rep in charge of this mess, she told us that MIllenium wasn’t going to be in Japan at all …??? So who knows?

Well, they have the ML in Japan for the full year, and those later sailings (beginning April 21, 2024) are still on the schedule and offered, so the stated reason of being oversold seems the likely actual reason. 

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, omeinv said:

I just got off the phone with Celebrity.  The cruises are NOT cancelled, they are OVERSOLD, so they are having to cancel and re-book certain people. 

Harris

Denver, CO

1 hour ago, omeinv said:

Demonstrating my selfish nature, I only asked about April 9, 2024; which is the one I'm booked on. 

Harris

Denver, CO

I was on the April 9th sailing as well…….

49 minutes ago, omeinv said:

Well, they have the ML in Japan for the full year, and those later sailings (beginning April 21, 2024) are still on the schedule and offered, so the stated reason of being oversold seems the likely actual reason. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Yew we’re on the Oct 24, 2023 sailing and we were CANCELLED. We could move to the 2024/25 season but as we are 5 months out, we have air fare etc. already booked.

Our original booking date for this cruise was January 2022. We are not happy!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Ocdublin said:

I have wrote for 6 months that I believed these scheduled cruises to Japan were going to be cancelled.  Several things were not adding up!  But everyone basically

disagreed.  Thanks for the update!

Not “everyone basically disagreed.”  We are on the March 28 and April 9 sailings and have been concerned for some time.   We just overlapped with cruisestitch while on the Eclipse and we discussed the situation several times.  Both of us also reached out to the future cruise sales staff.  

We are still on the Eclipse and no e-mails.  So far …..

11 hours ago, Ocdublin said:

I have wrote for 6 months that I believed these scheduled cruises to Japan were going to be cancelled.  Several things were not adding up!  But everyone basically

disagreed.  Thanks for the update!

The cruises are NOT cancelled - just certain oversold bookings are booted out. 
How they determine which ones remains a secret...

22 minutes ago, jojo1966 said:

just done a mock booking for ours departing 27th May 2024 and still plenty of cabins to choose from so hoping all is well with that one.

Was that for a balcony- it seems the overbookings were for balcony cabins.

It is interesting in the email the statement "we have exhausted every possible option to avoid having to take this action"??  I am on the 10/24/23 sailing and never heard anything.  Why didn't they first contact all guest and see if anyone would like to take them up on the Lift & Shift option?  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

It is interesting in the email the statement "we have exhausted every possible option to avoid having to take this action"??  I am on the 10/24/23 sailing and never heard anything.  Why didn't they first contact all guest and see if anyone would like to take them up on the Lift & Shift option?  

Exactly, now all they have apart from a few people who have been contacted are a larger number of very concerned and frustrated passengers who are feeling very uncertain about their own bookings!  And what 'other options' have they considered?

• Like 1

Am on the 9th April 2024 sailing too! As anyone who uses British Airways Avios will know you need to book Tokyo flights 355 days out. I have been up the last two nights to 1am attempting to book the outbound flight in Business Class. Have been knackered at work Monday & Tuesday so will be well peeved if I do not use the flights.

We did not lift and shift. We were twice on earlier sailings but cancelled prior when things did not look rosy with Covid. Hope that does not count against us. I think I booked the first week it was out as have a SV cabin which go pretty quick.

I have actually paid for the cruise as needed to hit an Amex target (thus the avios) and am retiring this year and want all my holidays paid for. Bit daft as saving accounts are available. I have later X cruises I could move a FCC to.

Oddly I can still book Shore Excursions on the website. I have actually already organised small group tours through Tours by Locals (thanks @MiamiNice for the tips).

I was on an Oceania cruise in November which was oversold. They were offering generous inducements for people to shift. I think if I had purely booked the cruise, without the numerous moves and now financial outlay, I would be relatively happy to shift if i was given decent inducement. However I am not for shifting.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tarwood3 said:

just got a phone call from Celebrity….  Japan next spring has been canceled on Millenium.  Rep told us Millenium won’t be in Japan at all??  So I guess that means a lot of cruises will be canceled.  Offered us 2025, but we already have an Oceania 20 day Asia cruise booked…so doesn’t work for us.  We were offered a pathetic $450 future cruise credit which has to be used within one year…again, terrible.  

Were you given any indication where the ship will be? Will it stay in Southeast Asia? Or will it be chartered and go somewhere else?

11 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Were you given any indication where the ship will be? Will it stay in Southeast Asia? Or will it be chartered and go somewhere else?

You might want to read the whole thread, this impacts different sailings and so far only certain bookings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

To those have been cancelled, can you please give your Cabin Category and when you booked the cruise?

I think this information is also interesting from those that haven’t been cancelled on the overbooked sailings. 

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I wonder who gets put in the oversold category and how do they determine that?

Our question exactly….we booked 14mos ago and being canceled..  when we pressed the concierge rep, thats when she told us everyone was being canceled??