Carnival passengers both cheer (mostly) and jeer as ship rescues migrants

ontheweb

7 minutes ago, evandbob said:

Pity those who jeered.

All I read in the article was someone asked if they'd still make their next port of call on time. Hardly a jeer. Clickbait headline in my opinion.

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, mz-s said:

All I read in the article was someone asked if they'd still make their next port of call on time. Hardly a jeer. Clickbait headline in my opinion.

Yep, that wasn't a very accurate headline (I took Journalism in High School).  

However, there was a minority of passengers who were more worried about themselves than saving the lives of the 24 people on that small boat.  I just don't get how some people can be so cold, self centered, and have such disregard for the safety of other people.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, skywalkr2 said:

I find it hard to believe anyone would actually jeer a rescue... 

I am sure one of them is typing a rant to John Heald as we speak. 🙄

ETA:  Apparently that has already happened. People stink. 

Edited by staceyglow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ninjacat123 said:

Thanks for posting!  I have never witnessed a rescue while on a cruise.  I'm glad everyone was medically sound.

You're welcome. I found it interesting and definitely worth sharing.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, groundloop said:

Yep, that wasn't a very accurate headline (I took Journalism in High School).  

However, there was a minority of passengers who were more worried about themselves than saving the lives of the 24 people on that small boat.  I just don't get how some people can be so cold, self centered, and have such disregard for the safety of other people.  

OP here, I tried in my header to show that the vast majority cheered. You are correct that the article's headline makes them sound about equal.

But our headlines really about accuracy, or are they meant to get the attention of potential readers?

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

But our headlines really about accuracy, or are they meant to get the attention of potential readers?

What I was taught, and still believe, is that a headline should be a short summation of the main point in the article.  The point about getting reader's attention has become a thing in recent years with certain news organizations that put profits over accuracy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, groundloop said:

What I was taught, and still believe, is that a headline should be a short summation of the main point in the article.  The point about getting reader's attention has become a thing in recent years with certain news organizations that put profits over accuracy.

Yes, I believe the term for what the present day headline writers do is clickbait.

• Like 1

We have been on a couple cruises now we had to turn around.  One was a capsized boat we had to go back and check, the other was last Fall.  Like 6 guys in a tiny boat.  We watched the whole thing.

They refused rescue and just asked for food and water which was given, and an emergency radio.

We were still on the balcony and had pulled away and my husband looked at me and said, "well they didn't want to come onboard, but don't think for a second the captain isn't alerting the coast guard or authorities - they'll be coming aboard someone's boat very shortly"

😁

2 hours ago, wemjam said:

They refused rescue and just asked for food and water which was given, and an emergency radio.

They must have read on Cruise Critic how horrible Carnival cruises are, and decided to wait for a better cruise line to rescue them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, staceyglow said:

They must have read on Cruise Critic how horrible Carnival cruises are, and decided to wait for a better cruise line to rescue them.

Odds are, they probably though it was an 'older' Costa slum ship and knew about their reputation after the Concordia sinking !! (I'm kidding !) 🙂

Mac

On 4/19/2023 at 2:07 PM, ontheweb said:

Yes, I believe the term for what the present day headline writers do is clickbait.

I can't and won't disagree with you on that point. However, with the loss of print journalism, the loss of reputable network journalism, and the increase in internet journalism came the need to get income to feed your family some other way than a W2 or 1099 from reputable newspapers or tabloids. About the only way to make money nowadays as a journalist is by the number of clicks you receive on an article that you have written. Unfortunately, that method has brought us where we are today. It's very hard to determine who or what is a reputable source for information. Even if you consider your source reputable, you're still not getting the whole story. They all slant to their internal biases. There are very few that I trust and even then, I question.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

I can't and won't disagree with you on that point. However, with the loss of print journalism, the loss of reputable network journalism, and the increase in internet journalism came the need to get income to feed your family some other way than a W2 or 1099 from reputable newspapers or tabloids. About the only way to make money nowadays as a journalist is by the number of clicks you receive on an article that you have written. Unfortunately, that method has brought us where we are today. It's very hard to determine who or what is a reputable source for information. Even if you consider your source reputable, you're still not getting the whole story. They all slant to their internal biases. There are very few that I trust and even then, I question.

Walter Cronkite, where are you now that we need you more than ever?

• Like 1

On 4/19/2023 at 10:17 AM, groundloop said:

I just don't get how some people can be so cold, self centered, and have such disregard for the safety of other people.  

They're card carrying members of the me society.  They are only concerned about themselves and have zero empathy for others.  They are the types that jump ahead of others who have been waiting for an elevator since their time is more important than others.

Yes people sometimes get upset when a ship delays to rescue people.  I have seen it once or twice.  Haven't seen anyone actually "jeer" from the balconies or decks, but have heard grumbling and complaints afterwards.  Yes- I agree with Blerk some people fail the "human test".  

Even more astonishing are the people that get all out of sorts because a medical emergency interrupted their enjoyment of a bar area, deck area, or some other entertainment.  I am not even talking about folks disgruntled because a ship altered itinerary for an evacuation or something major.  I mean people who grumble when medics need them to move and give someone space.  I don't usually confront people  about their behavior but that has brought a "are you $^#$^#( kidding me?"   our of my mouth once or twice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pjhootch said:

Yes people sometimes get upset when a ship delays to rescue people.  I have seen it once or twice.  Haven't seen anyone actually "jeer" from the balconies or decks, but have heard grumbling and complaints afterwards.  Yes- I agree with Blerk some people fail the "human test".  

Even more astonishing are the people that get all out of sorts because a medical emergency interrupted their enjoyment of a bar area, deck area, or some other entertainment.  I am not even talking about folks disgruntled because a ship altered itinerary for an evacuation or something major.  I mean people who grumble when medics need them to move and give someone space.  I don't usually confront people  about their behavior but that has brought a "are you $^#$^#( kidding me?"   our of my mouth once or twice.

Yes, I have been amazed at seeing cars that do not pull over for an ambulance or firetruck. Same principle of being me first and to hell with everyone else.

On 4/21/2023 at 1:17 PM, wemjam said:

We have been on a couple cruises now we had to turn around.  One was a capsized boat we had to go back and check,

Sounds familiar; we had the same situation.  I think we were returning from Cozumel to Florida, north of Cuba. 

On 4/21/2023 at 1:17 PM, wemjam said:

the other was last Fall.  Like 6 guys in a tiny boat.  We watched the whole thing.

We were still on the balcony and had pulled away and my husband looked at me and said, "well they didn't want to come onboard, but don't think for a second the captain isn't alerting the coast guard or authorities - they'll be coming aboard someone's boat very shortly"

😁

lol, we had a similar situation to that also, again north of Cuba, last October.  At first it appeared that the occupants of the overloaded boat were in distress and asking for assistance, but then -- according to our CD -- they declined and motored away.  

If they had been brought on board, they'd have been returned to their home country by U.S. authorities, but if they can make it to U.S. soil then they can stay, under the "wet foot; dry foot" protocol.  

There WAS some good-natured grumbling onboard, too, since we were delayed for what turned out to be no good reason.  

As for the "lies" and clickbait and deception from news outlets, all I'll say is that they are ALL guilty of that.  Some more than others, and for much longer periods of time.