Do you tip for drink delivery from ap?

Peckishpixie

I dont want to start another tip controversy and debate wether tipping is good or bad. This question is for the "yes" tippers.

've always tipped  extra for room service deliveries. I never  tip extra at the bar, although i somtimes bring a tip at the end of the cruise for special bartenders. Since the medallion started, I never know what to do when I order a drink brought to me in the library or on deck.   Should I tip like you do for room service? What about by the pool when you have no pockets? Is there a way to leave a tip for the delivery staff like I do for the resteraunt staff at the end of the cruise? 

Folks work so hard for so little and I'm in a position where I can afford the extra tips. I'm just not sure the protocol for this new experience. 

• Like 3

Fabulous question!  Pockets or no pockets, you should figure out a way to carry around a wad of $2 bills and sprinkle them around generously for services rendered.  Don't use the app, the recipient won't be able to keep the cash to him/herself.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Peckishpixie said:

I dont want to start another tip controversy and debate wether tipping is good or bad. This question is for the "yes" tippers.

've always tipped  extra for room service deliveries. I never  tip extra at the bar, although i somtimes bring a tip at the end of the cruise for special bartenders. Since the medallion started, I never know what to do when I order a drink brought to me in the library or on deck.   Should I tip like you do for room service? What about by the pool when you have no pockets? Is there a way to leave a tip for the delivery staff like I do for the resteraunt staff at the end of the cruise? 

Folks work so hard for so little and I'm in a position where I can afford the extra tips. I'm just not sure the protocol for this new experience. 

You’re already paying 18% gratuities, because it’s from the bar.  We don’t tip additional for drinks because 18% is included.  However, we do tip additional at the end of the cruise, to those special crew members.

No way would I worry about pockets or carrying around cash.  JMO

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I usually tip extra to my room steward and also waitstaff (if I have the same waitstaff) and service is great (it almost always is). I rarely order room service and have tipped when I do that.

I have not tipped for drink deliveries on the ship. I think if it turns out the same person is delivering all of my drinks, I may make a point to do so at the end of the week but if different people are, I probably wouldn't.

For room service, yes a small tip. For drinks ordered via the app, say around the pool,  typically not. At the bars, sometimes. If we have a regular bar we go to/bartender we get to know we usually tip them extra towards the end of the cruise

Edited by Buckeye10640
  • Like 2

We usually order 2 drinks at a time during the day by the pool, They're already getting around a $5 tip included (18%) which we feel is adequate. If you feel that they deserve more then by all means include additional. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peckishpixie said:

It's hard to swim with a fist full of dollars 

What about your phone or whatever device you're using to order up these beverages?  Surely a waterproof belt of some description is an option.

Delivered to the room? Yes. 

In person at the bar? No. 

Delivery to the pool area? No.

There are some exceptions especially towards the end of the week if we've had a particularly good, consistent server/bar tender where we'll give them something extra for the week.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Fabulous question!  Pockets or no pockets, you should figure out a way to carry around a wad of $2 bills and sprinkle them around generously for services rendered.  Don't use the app, the recipient won't be able to keep the cash to him/herself.

I have read multiple times that one should never tip staff with $2 bills as they can be difficult to get rid of as they aren't often recognized as legitimate currency in other countries. The small dollar coins are the same way.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I have read multiple times that one should never tip staff with $2 bills as they can be difficult to get rid of as they aren't often recognized as legitimate currency in other countries. The small dollar coins are the same way.

I hope you don't think my comment was in any way meant to be serious.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

I hope you don't think my comment was in any way meant to be serious.  

Sorry. Should have known better but... I wouldn't want someone else to think "Gee! That's a great idea!!" Not all who read here have been around the boards all that much.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Potstech said:

Anything provided in the cost of the cruise except the room steward service does not get a tip. Do not care what others think.  We refuse to double and occasionally triple pay for items.

There are instances where someone other than the room steward will get a tip. On a recent B2B cruise our dining room server found out we had the premium package on one of the segments. He noted that we had been ordering the wine that came with the plus package and mentioned that we should get a higher priced wine. He asked if we would like a bottle of premium wine. I said sure, why not two. He had a short conversation with the head waiter and came back with two bottles of Silverado Cabernet Sauvignon. On a previous segment we had had made friends with a server in the elite lounge. One night, she gave us a bottle of Canyon Oaks. We gave all three a pretty good tip at the end of the cruise.

18 hours ago, Thrak said:

Sorry. Should have known better but... I wouldn't want someone else to think "Gee! That's a great idea!!" Not all who read here have been around the boards all that much.

hopefully they've been around boards long enough to know you not to believe every thing you read on the internet. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, billco said:

There are instances where someone other than the room steward will get a tip. On a recent B2B cruise our dining room server found out we had the premium package on one of the segments. He noted that we had been ordering the wine that came with the plus package and mentioned that we should get a higher priced wine. He asked if we would like a bottle of premium wine. I said sure, why not two. He had a short conversation with the head waiter and came back with two bottles of Silverado Cabernet Sauvignon. On a previous segment we had had made friends with a server in the elite lounge. One night, she gave us a bottle of Canyon Oaks. We gave all three a pretty good tip at the end of the cruise.

Special situation.

On 4/20/2023 at 7:29 AM, Peckishpixie said:

I dont want to start another tip controversy and debate wether tipping is good or bad. .

How do you propose to post about tipping, and not start such a thread?

On there other hands, there are many, many correspondents here lying in wait add their comment on tipping,

and appreciate your wind up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/20/2023 at 11:35 AM, Potstech said:

Anything provided in the cost of the cruise except the room steward service does not get a tip. Do not care what others think.  We refuse to double and occasionally triple pay for items.

Thank you! We feel the same. 

8 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

How do you propose to post about tipping, and not start such a thread?

On there other hands, there are many, many correspondents here lying in wait add their comment on tipping,

and appreciate your wind up.

I just really hoped people who don't want to tip would just move on but some folks just can't help themselves

• Like 2

I've only ordered a drink via the app a few times, and I figured the 18% included was enough.  I do order a pot of hot tea every night around 10 or so via room service and I tip them.  I love getting the hot tea in my room every night.  It's a big smack in the face with reality when I come home and have to put the water in the kennel, turn it on and make my own!

• Haha 1