Questions for More Experienced Cruisers

Coming off a Serenade cruise a few weeks ago. I saw some things and I wanted to ask questions about them.

1. I know when you are Pinnacle you get a pin with your name. Is it customary to wear these all of the time?

2. If you are doing a B2B, do you tip everyone at the end of each leg, or a larger tip at the end of everything? I guess this question assumes experienced cruisers mostly tip above the included.

Thanks!

CG

1 minute ago, crusnbee said:

Coming off a Serenade cruise a few weeks ago. I saw some things and I wanted to ask questions about them.

1. I know when you are Pinnacle you get a pin with your name. Is it customary to wear these all of the time?

2. If you are doing a B2B, do you tip everyone at the end of each leg, or a larger tip at the end of everything? I guess this question assumes experienced cruisers mostly tip above the included.

Thanks!

CG

A lot wear their pins all the time. One told me it was his most expensive piece of jewelry. Another guy on my last cruise said he might only wear it at certain times as it got him a higher level of service, like to board. No one rule. I doubt I'd wear a pin all the time, but might at certain times. 

I tip each leg. You will have different waiters and eat in a different place each leg. Even stewards change around it seems often so I might keep the same cabin but seem to often have a different steward. I tip a little each time i order a drink with a voucher, i dont wait for the end of the leg.

• Like 4

We’ve been suggested by crew members to wear the pin all of the time. So it’s not totally because attention. Or more correctly perceived attention.  If it bothers you, maybe pay attention to something else- like shorts in the dining room. 

We have tipped at the end of a b2b if people don’t change. But sometimes they do, so we tip at the end of the first for them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crusnbee said:

If you are doing a B2B, do you tip everyone at the end of each leg

We tip at the end of each cruise.  Basically we treat each cruise like a separate cruise and tip everyone at the end.  Sometimes they switch up positions so the person you liked on week one may be gone on week two.

• Like 2

If I had one, which I don't, I wouldn't make it a centerpiece.  I have a "Retired Army" hat that I have a bunch of pins on.  I may add it to the collection, or I may not.  But, the bottom line, I would not make it a centerpiece or a cry for attention.  

Yes, I do make my military status a centerpiece!  But, not a cry for attention.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alfaeric said:

We’ve been suggested by crew members to wear the pin all of the time. So it’s not totally because attention. Or more correctly perceived attention.  If it bothers you, maybe pay attention to something else- like shorts in the dining room. 

We have tipped at the end of a b2b if people don’t change. But sometimes they do, so we tip at the end of the first for them. 

The weird thing is that I’ve actually heard

staff bad mouthing pinnacles (as a group not just one).  Actually it was complaining to me about pinnacles. It was in a way I couldn’t believe, and frankly I didn’t like it because it is unprofessional to say such a thing in front of other guests.  

Regardless, I’m sure that view isn’t a one off because I’ve witnessed lesser types of reactions (but still similar in nature).  I’m sure any given staff member doesn’t speak for all staff, but I’m also sure wearing a pin with status isn’t somehow automatically a beneficial thing.  I would hope staff treat all guests with 100% effort.   And frankly, should someone with only 600 points be treated differently than someone with 750.  I would hope not.  

I used to see folks wearing diamond or diamond plus pins.  I haven’t seen that in a long time.  Maybe because there are so many diamonds that it just isn’t a big deal anymore.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, topnole said:

The weird thing is that I’ve actually heard

staff bad mouthing pinnacles (as a group not just one).  Actually it was complaining to me about pinnacles. It was in a way I couldn’t believe, and frankly I didn’t like it because it is unprofessional to say such a thing in front of other guests.  

Regardless, I’m sure that view isn’t a one off because I’ve witnessed lesser types of reactions (but still similar in nature).  I’m sure any given staff member doesn’t speak for all staff, but I’m also sure wearing a pin with status isn’t somehow automatically a beneficial thing.  I would hope staff treat all guests with 100% effort.   And frankly, should someone with only 600 points be treated differently than someone with 750.  I would hope not.  

I used to see folks wearing diamond or diamond plus pins.  I haven’t seen that in a long time.  Maybe because there are so many diamonds that it just isn’t a big deal anymore.  

Some Pinnacle deserve the ire of the crew.  Same with some D+ members.  I was recently talking with a loyalty ambassador about the difficult members of the program.  It's part of his job and he deals with them with grace but he admits that some do consume more of his time and not just Pinnacles.

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

Some Pinnacle deserve the ire of the crew.  Same with some D+ members.  I was recently talking with a loyalty ambassador about the difficult members of the program.  It's part of his job and he deals with them with grace but he admits that some do consume more of his time and not just Pinnacles.

Oh, there is clearly some sense of entitlement that starts early in the loyalty program.  No doubt many diamond members could join that club.   There are different types of folks at all levels.  

I tend to wear my Pinnacle name badge to events that are CAS based. 

There are ports, like Miami as an example, where the terminal contractors prefer it so they can let you into the Suites and Pinnacle line without having to look over a SetSail pass to find it.  When I haven't had it on they grumbled about not having it on.  That's one Intercruise employee's opinion.  So it takes 10 seconds longer to get in the line.  Maybe they have a lot of guests trying to use the line who shouldn't so it makes life easier for them. 

I'm sitting in a "Pinnacle lounge"  right now.  Looking around I'd estimate 20% have the Pin on.  To each their own. 

Once on a B2B they changed attendant assigments between cruises.  I had to find where my 1st cruise attendant was moved to so I could tip him.  Since then I tip each segment indepdently.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, twangster said:

It certainly does not take status to have a feeling of entitlement. Just look at some of the posts that are started. It’s the person not the status. 

1 hour ago, twangster said:

1 hour ago, topnole said:

Oh, there is clearly some sense of entitlement that starts early in the loyalty program.  No doubt many diamond members could join that club.   There are different types of folks at all levels.  

My favorite "throw your status around moment" was on my one and only NCL cruise.  I was behind them waiting in guest services and they were demanding some special unreasonable consideration that I can't even remember what  now stating that there were "SILVER!" status and that that somehow should make a difference.  

11 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

It certainly does not take status to have a feeling of entitlement. Just look at some of the posts that are started. It’s the person not the status. 

It’s definitely a mixture.  Status most definitely moderates the relationship.   

• Like 1