$10 shirt sale

Chuckabobo

A few years ago we took cruises out of Miami and New Orlean's to the Caribbean - and towards the end of the cruise the ship held a $10 shirt sale featuring the different ports visited.

Is this still a thing NCL does - specifically curious regarding an upcoming Bliss Alaska cruise next month.

I seem to recall it was not well advertised or even included in the dailies in the past. 

NCL changed vendors and the Tshirts with various ports haven't been on my most recent cruises.  But those cruises were more along the lines of "extraordinary journeys" so more specialized as far as ports. They might still have them on the more regular cruises, I think I read somewhere that the Caribbean cruises still had them, so they might have them for Alaska as well.

I was able to snag a shirt for an upcoming Antarctica cruise at the closeout sale on the Star when it was in Europe...

• Like 1

We were on the Jade in Mar and they had a sale a couple of days prior to disembarkation day. The t-shirts featuring ports of call for the current cruise weren't on sale, however you could pick up t-shirts from previous cruise itineraries in a 2 for 1 deal. I can't remember the actual price but they were reasonable, although some of the ports were fairly obscure as were the designs.

They had the "sale" on the last couple of days of my Mexican Riviera cruise in February on the Joy.  I think they were $20 each or 2 for $30, if I recall.  Buy a size larger, because they shrink horribly in the first wash/dry.  And they weren't necessarily all from current cruise ports.  It was a mixture.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

7 minutes ago, KonkyWonky said:

We were on the Jade in Mar and they had a sale a couple of days prior to disembarkation day. The t-shirts featuring ports of call for the current cruise weren't on sale, however you could pick up t-shirts from previous cruise itineraries in a 2 for 1 deal. I can't remember the actual price but they were reasonable, although some of the ports were fairly obscure as were the designs.

Probably the shirts that they keep telling us weren't available when I sailed in December.  I was told they were late, others were told they were on the ship but couldn't sell them for some reason around skus.

We were on the Bliss last September and the T shirt sale was 4 for $15.

Just off the Spirit and they put the previous New Zealand cruise T shirts on sale for $10 if I recall correctly...no big announcement but if you went to the store they were on a table.

We were on B2B cruises aboard the Gem in Jan/Feb, a total of 23 days (NY to Panama and back).  There were numerous "port" T-shirts for sale in the gift shop throughout the cruise.  I think they were 2 for $25.  They were mostly of ports that were not on our itinerary.  They were also not very attractive (imho) -- huge graphics taking up the entire front of the shirt.   

What was really disappointing, though, is that the expected shipment of Panama Canal T-shirts was not delivered for either of our two transits of the Canal.  (This was confirmed by the staff in the gift shop.)  On our prior transits of the Canal, there were tons of Canal shirts available the day of the transit and after.   

In our experience, they don't discount merch in the regular store, because people will simply wait until the last-day-sale to make all their non-urgent purchases.

However, the $10 sale, usually on a sea day in a dining room, has gotten much bigger.  Tables piled high with cheap watches, hats, scarves, clutch purses, beach bags, very (very) junky jewelry, and mountains of t-shirts (some location specific, sometimes a jumble). 

At the end of the season, like September in Alaska, they will dump in the port-specific items to clear them from inventory.

It can be a madhouse as guests rummage through the piles, and towards the end there can be as much on the floor as on the tables.  But that doesn't stop me from stopping by for a quick scan.  YMMV

Currently on the Epic eastbound TA, en route to Ponta Delgada  - gift shop and duty-free has been running sales since day 1 but not busy, lots of foot traffic walking thru as being on Deck 7, it's least crowded & congested.  

$10 t-shirt sales are long gone, wasn't on the Getaway this January either on the Caribbean run.  Those flea market bargain special are now $15 each and 2 for $25, hugh markup - IMHO and not worth it, unless you got plenty of non-refundable OBC to burn up, re-pack & gift them for the holidays and/or as grab bag items, etc. 

DW and another CC joked that they're going on a bargain hunt last time on the GA and came out empty handed.  Unless we see something exceptional and truly a nice find on clearance (i.e. 3 for $20 end-of-season NCL t-shirts) ... not going to be bothered with.

Happy shopping & cruising ! 

14 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Currently on the Epic eastbound TA, en route to Ponta Delgada  - gift shop and duty-free has been running sales since day 1 but not busy, lots of foot traffic walking thru as being on Deck 7, it's least crowded & congested.  

$10 t-shirt sales are long gone, wasn't on the Getaway this January either on the Caribbean run.  Those flea market bargain special are now $15 each and 2 for $25, hugh markup - IMHO and not worth it, unless you got plenty of non-refundable OBC to burn up, re-pack & gift them for the holidays and/or as grab bag items, etc. 

DW and another CC joked that they're going on a bargain hunt last time on the GA and came out empty handed.  Unless we see something exceptional and truly a nice find on clearance (i.e. 3 for $20 end-of-season NCL t-shirts) ... not going to be bothered with.

Happy shopping & cruising ! 

I think I know that CCer!!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

I like tee shirts that have Norwegian Cruise lines and the name of the ship printed on them.  They used to carry those.

The Joy has the two for $25 tees with Norwegian printed on the back.  We saw Aruba, Curacao and some Panama Canal.    Just  got off the Joy yesterday.

Price increases are all over the clothing industry for cotton products, the cheaper items having higher rises than the premium due to the difference in margins. 
I do the orders for my family shop and there have been numerous price increases that started in 2021. In 2021 it was shortage of shipping containers and capacity issues at factories due to social distancing, in 2022 shipping costs started to come back down but then Ukraine started and fuel prices pushed costs back up again. Those fuel costs hit everywhere along the supply chain from raw materials onwards for every step of production and distribution. 
Our own brand t-shirts are printed directly across the road by another local business and they’ve had a hard time just getting the blank t-shirts so we had a fairly eclectic collection of colours for the past 18 months. They’re just starting to be able to get our normal colours back in stock for printing. 

• Thanks 1

We did Mediterranean cruises both on the Gem and the Escape last summer, and on both ships towards the end of the cruise they were actually selling "port t-shirts" for $10. And with Norwegian Cruise Line printed on them as well.

Edited by TrumpyNor
  • Like 1