How does MSC compare to Celebrity?

I would imagine you would enjoy the yacht club. There is a huge difference between MSC and Celebrity. I have been on both as recently as this year. Just got off a transatlantic on Celebrity.   It depends on the region you wish to travel. You might not enjoy the atmosphere in the main area of MSC.

• Like 1

Msc has the suite experience beat hands down compared to Celebrity. The YC is one of my most favorite experiences in suite class. On the flip side, Celebrity comes in first in mainstream cruising experience for nonsuite class. So much so that we have a standard veranda stateroom booked on Celebrity coming up and I have no doubt about the experience we will receive. I cannot say the same for MSC as I would not sail with them outside of YC. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Georgia peaches I would only travel YC and try not to leave that area if I can help it. The only thing is you don't have  the choice of bars in Y C like you would on x mainstream cruise. But I loved YC .

• Like 2

I am a gluten-free cruiser and sailed on MSC in February. The ONLY place I could safely get GF food was the main dining room, and that length of a meal wouldn’t work for my 3-year-old grandson… since I was traveling with my daughter and grandson, I either ate alone or took my chances at the buffet. While the ship was beautiful, I won’t sail MSC again, unless there are extenuating circumstances. Just got off the Celebrity Millennium this morning and had the best week cruising the west coast of the US where everyone was knowledgeable about my dietary needs and GF food was available everywhere! Little things matter to me…

• Like 3

I would love to try the Edge class Retreat on Celebrity, but the prices are too rich for my blood.

We're sailing in a grand deluxe suite In MSC's Yacht club for about the same price as I paid in January to sail in a concierge IV on Beyond.

It was my first cruise on Celebrity and I loved it (would definitely sail in that cabin class again), but if I want to sail suite level, X is just too pricey.

• Like 1

I did MSC a few weeks ago out of the UK and it was yacht club. 
i enjoyed it but I wouldn’t do anything but YC but then the cost of YC was cheaper than my solo room on Beyond. I found the main area can be really packed and loud so just for me personally I need to have that when I want it not all the time so the yacht club is perfect because can go into the main areas when I want or just stay in the YC where it was quieter, you have your own restaurant, lounge, resort deck etc so if you want you never need to leave that area. 

I will say though the food is not the same quality. I went in knowing that and I was ok for what I was paying. I found that the best meals were Italian dishes (obviously). I had escargot once and they were over done and tried tarte tatin and it wasn’t like it should have been. So after learnt what types of foods to stick with. I never tried the buffet so can’t comment on that but food is very subjective. 

As it’s a European line you’ll find more Europeans there so sometimes there are cultural differences. And also all the announcements are in multiple languages.

I did book another YC on board out of Miami for World America. 

i hope that helps a little 

• Like 2

I've sailed MSC Yacht Club and Celebrity in suites and regular cabins.  You could not pay me to sail in a regular cabin on MSC.  WAY too many loud people and kids having meltdowns.  Just way too many people period.

I like the cabins in MSC YC and the YC area.  They have lovely live music in the lounge.  The only negative would be the food and the service in the YC restaurant.  The food is mediocre and the service is nowhere near as polished and professional as Celebrity.  Lately Celebrity's suite prices are in the stratosphere.  MSC's YC prices have risen quite a bit as well.

• Like 6

We have sailed with MSC 5 times but we are not wild about driving down to Miami, we drive to Ft. Lauderdale all the time for cruises but those extra 35 miles on I 95 is like being in a NASCAR event. 
As far as the differences, Celebrity has better food and service but some of the Italians dishes on MSC are outstanding as is the pizza. Not a lot of variety in the buffet, just about the same everyday, you can’t beat the variety in the buffet on a Celebrity ship. Entertainment is better on MSC but Celebrity is pretty good. Both lines have beautiful ships but we didn’t care for the Seaside, we liked the Divina a lot more. There will be announcements on MSC in 5 languages, once on board you have to go to Charge Card station to register your credit card which I always found strange. Dealing with guest services is much better on Celebrity. MSC will give you a status match with the cruise line that you have the highest status with, our first cruise with MSC we were automatically given Black Card status because we were Elite with Princess. Some nice on board perks but I’ve heard some have been discontinued.

• Like 1

The #1 reason for me not to cruise with MSC is what I read on crew websites and forums. Many many complaints how they treat their staff. I was told the same on Celebrity by a former MSC waiter. So no thanks!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MISTER 67 said:

We have sailed with MSC 5 times but we are not wild about driving down to Miami, we drive to Ft. Lauderdale all the time for cruises but those extra 35 miles on I 95 is like being in a NASCAR event. 
As far as the differences, Celebrity has better food and service but some of the Italians dishes on MSC are outstanding as is the pizza. Not a lot of variety in the buffet, just about the same everyday, you can’t beat the variety in the buffet on a Celebrity ship. Entertainment is better on MSC but Celebrity is pretty good. Both lines have beautiful ships but we didn’t care for the Seaside, we liked the Divina a lot more. There will be announcements on MSC in 5 languages, 

Yea hearing announcements in 5 languages would make me feel like I was at Walmart with all the announcements.  No thanks.  I have heard MSC ships are pretty inside but overall very European and kids not behaving as well as they should.  European parents idea of fun and letting kids be kids differs from other countries.  I do not think kids under 6 should be in bars and lounges after 10pm.  oh well

• Like 2

We had MSC YC booked five or six times but all during Covid and all sailings were canceled due to the pandemic. We were anxious to try them but after having to deal with their customer service reps in FLL trying to obtain refunds we changed our mind. Incompetent and downright rude. I have read that one should stick to the YC. We found the same situation on the Norwegian Bliss just before Covid hit. We loved the Haven but outside of the Haven, the ship was a zoo. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We sail celebrity suites at least once a year, have sailed MSc yacht club just once but loved it, I prefer yacht club over celebrity older ships , on edge class it is similar to yacht club , because of outdoor area with pool, restaurant, bar etc . But celebrity suite lounge doesn’t have music like yacht club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Yea hearing announcements in 5 languages would make me feel like I was at Walmart with all the announcements.  No thanks. 

Conversely, I felt like it was a much more cosmopolitan experience, with not just folks from the U.S. I met friends from the UK, Canada, and had folks at the table next to me using the Italian menu and conversing with the wait staff in Italian. Felt a lot more worldly to me. On Meraviglia from New York, though, they only made announcements in English that I remember. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

once on board you have to go to Charge Card station to register your credit card which I always found strange. Dealing with guest services is much better on Celebrity.

I was able to pre-register my card online with no issue but there are lots of self-service terminals around to register. There's even a terminal at the YC Concierge which is a lot more full-functioning as guest services than any Retreat lounge or Michael's Club concierge can be, which I saw as a major advantage. Given YC fares are about the same as a regular balcony on Celebrity (maybe CC), you're getting a lot more. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sbcs5390 said:

Conversely, I felt like it was a much more cosmopolitan experience, with not just folks from the U.S. I met friends from the UK, Canada, and had folks at the table next to me using the Italian menu and conversing with the wait staff in Italian. Felt a lot more worldly to me. On Meraviglia from New York, though, they only made announcements in English that I remember. 

Yes,this is the most adorable thing in MSC - personnel can cope with different languages. As  they couldn't serve us in our own language we all six in the dinner table took different language menus and ordered our meal in German, Italian and Engish- and we get perfect service from one waiter from Philippines.Try that next time😆.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Yea hearing announcements in 5 languages would make me feel like I was at Walmart with all the announcements.  No thanks.  I have heard MSC ships are pretty inside but overall very European and kids not behaving as well as they should.  European parents idea of fun and letting kids be kids differs from other countries.  I do not think kids under 6 should be in bars and lounges after 10pm.  oh well

2 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Just don’t sail in the summer with MSC when the ships are loaded with kids but to tell the truth, I found the behavior of some European adults on MSC ship to be quite boorish.

35 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Just don’t sail in the summer with MSC when the ships are loaded with kids but to tell the truth, I found the behavior of some European adults on MSC ship to be quite boorish.

I will be sailing next month. I’m a teacher so that’s when I can travel. 

19 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I've never heard a walmart announcement...what are they announcing?

As for the multi language announcements in the morning, it went pretty quickly and didn't disrupt our enjoyment at all.  In fact, I hardly noticed after awhile.  I must say, I am always awestruck by those who are multi lingual and feel ashamed that I am only fluent on English.  I try to speak as much Spanish as I can when we travel to Mexico out of respect for the culture and people of the country.  Same when we traveled to Italy and I can say that the locals really appreciate the effort.  I can't comment on European parenting styles but as a retired educator I can tell you the American parenting styles on average, leave much to be desired and have certainly eroded over the last several decades...try telling a parent these days that their kid misbehaved and the vast majority of the time, the response blames the teacher or the other kids in the class...not my kid...mentality seven ways to Sunday.

• Like 8

On 5/12/2023 at 10:05 PM, Markanddonna said:

I would imagine you would enjoy the yacht club. There is a huge difference between MSC and Celebrity. I have been on both as recently as this year. Just got off a transatlantic on Celebrity.   It depends on the region you wish to travel. You might not enjoy the atmosphere in the main area of MSC.

From what I’ve read, I doubt we will spend much time outside of the YC.  We will venture out for shows or other entertainment.  

On 5/13/2023 at 2:55 AM, tfg said:

I agree with Georgia peaches I would only travel YC and try not to leave that area if I can help it. The only thing is you don't have  the choice of bars in Y C like you would on x mainstream cruise. But I loved YC .

That’s what we booked. 

22 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I've sailed MSC Yacht Club and Celebrity in suites and regular cabins.  You could not pay me to sail in a regular cabin on MSC.  WAY too many loud people and kids having meltdowns.  Just way too many people period.

I like the cabins in MSC YC and the YC area.  They have lovely live music in the lounge.  The only negative would be the food and the service in the YC restaurant.  The food is mediocre and the service is nowhere near as polished and professional as Celebrity.  Lately Celebrity's suite prices are in the stratosphere.  MSC's YC prices have risen quite a bit as well.

Yes, we only paid about 60% for a deluxe suite in YC (7 night) compared to what we paid for June 2024 sky suite for 9 nights. And the Celebrity cruise is on the Equinox so no retreat pool.  These will be our first suite experiences and will see if we find Celebrity worth the extra $. We had no complaints with Celebrity in Concierge or Aqua class. 

21 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

As far as the differences, Celebrity has better food and service but some of the Italians dishes on MSC are outstanding as is the pizza. Not a lot of variety in the buffet, just about the same everyday, you can’t beat the variety in the buffet on a Celebrity ship. Entertainment is better on MSC but Celebrity is pretty good. Both lines have beautiful ships but we didn’t care for the Seaside, we liked the Divina a lot more. There will be announcements on MSC in 5 languages, once on board you have to go to Charge Card station to register your credit card which I always found strange. Dealing with guest services is much better on Celebrity. MSC will give you a status match with the cruise line that you have the highest status with, our first cruise with MSC we were automatically given Black Card status because we were Elite with Princess. Some nice on board perks but I’ve heard some have been discontinued.

I would say the entertainment on X is their weakness so I’m happy to hear it’s better with MSC. What didn’t you like about Seaside?

How do you go about getting the status match?  Not that we have anything special because we started with Carnival and aren’t brand loyal. 

18 hours ago, George C said:

We sail celebrity suites at least once a year, have sailed MSc yacht club just once but loved it, I prefer yacht club over celebrity older ships , on edge class it is similar to yacht club , because of outdoor area with pool, restaurant, bar etc . But celebrity suite lounge doesn’t have music like yacht club.

The live music in their lounge be a nice plus!  Any other bars we should try?  For instance, we like the Martini bar and World class bar on Celebrity. 

• Like 1