We're Done With The L/A Office

Heidi13

I’m sorry for your lousy experiences with the LA office. I hope in future you reconsider and do what you can to help change the culture of Viking’s shoreside customer service.You’ve been a strong advocate for Viking on these boards and it’s pretty ridiculous that they have treated you so poorly.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Heidi13-We also, are more than sad to hear this news.  Every post you’ve made, has been to help all of us navigate Viking Cruises in a positive way.

I am going to hope and  pray for a resolution and a come-back….

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Well I am going to miss you too.  So sorry you have Viking problems that could not be resolved.  I first "met" you when following your World Cruise reporting at the beginning of Covid which i very much enjoyed.   I always respected your input as a maritime professional when a ship's functioning, sea condition/handling or maritime rules/law came up.  Going to miss the balance you often brought to the discussion.

Couldn't agree more.  "Balance" is the minimum @Heidi13 offers....most of the time, he gives us the definitive information on whatever topic to which he's responding.  

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

We still have great memories of our 2020 World Cruise, which ended prematurely with us being 2 of the final 8 pax, I never thought I would be drafting this type of post. The shipboard leadership team and crew were exceptional and Viking provided exceptional management oversight managing the pandemic, to keep us safe. Sadly, we find the customer service provided by L/A is nowhere close to the exceptional shipboard standards.

Having just had a 2nd very negative experience dealing with the L/A office, we will not be dealing with them again, so at this time, Viking is no longer our preferred cruise line. I don't see any point in getting into details of both incidents, other than noting that their treatment of customers fell well below our expectations, not once, but twice.

I believe Viking's main markets are USA, Canada, UK and Australia/New Zealand, and they have sales/booking offices in USA, UK and Australia. Therefore, us poor Canadians are the only major market without a sales office, so although Viking has a Canadian website and pricing in Canadian dollars, all our bookings currently go through L/A.

If Viking opens a Canadian office or shifts our bookings to the UK office, then we will again consider booking another Viking cruise. However, if the status quo remains, we are sadly done with Viking.

I will continue to monitor the Viking Board, as over these past 5-years, I have met some great fellow pax. However, visits may not be as frequent as before.

Given how measured and thoughtful you and Judi are in all of your decision-making, the fact that you've come to this conclusion is a big deal, in my view.  I know that you have contacts at the highest levels of the Viking corporate structure, so I'm assuming you've escalated this to their attention, and even with that, you've come to this decision.  Very sorry you've had to deal with this, sorrier still that you won't be posting here as frequently, and concerned about the seemingly continued decline in Viking's pre-departure experience.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SJD117 said:

I’m sorry to hear about your negative experiences and your decision not to cruise with Viking.

You say you might reconsider your decision if Viking opens a Canada-based sales/booking office. I’m curious about your thinking here. If the two LA incidents were as bad as you state, then that suggests a systemic problem within Viking rather than something that’s unique to a particular office. It’s difficult to imagine that a Canadian office would serve your needs any better than the LA office.

A good point, which we did consider. The root cause being a systemic problem is definitely possible, however when you factor in the quality of the onboard leadership teams, I'm inclined to believe it is more an issue with local leadership.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HUNKY said:

Unfortunately, all cruise lines seem to have a huge disconnect between the landside office and the ships themselves.

Heidi13 - I'm assuming your travel agent was unable to get you any help either.

Correct, in fact I had to get personally involved in both issues, to assist our TA. 

Sorry to hear this, but I have a major problem with Viking's demand for full payment so much further in advance than any other cruise line [unless, apparently, you could book through a UK source because they don't have the same rules].

But the other reason I have never booked a second cruise with Viking Ocean [after a quite wonderful British Isles cruise] is that their itineraries are so 'same old, same old.'  With your personal sailing history, I'm surprised that this isn't even more of an issue for you.

Have you ever looked at Noble Caledonia?  A UK cruise line sailing two of the original (~100 pax) Renaissance ships.  Really interesting itineraries; not cheap but fully inclusive of all food, wine at meals, shore excursions, gratuities both onboard and for the land guides (and airfare from London to the ship and back if you want it).  We have enjoyed three (including a B2B) cruises with them in the last two years – and as the only US citizens on board each time we were welcomed and appreciated, so I would think that Canadians would be even more so as closer 'cousins.'

The 'downside' is that they only have the London main office –  but that answers your LA issue!  We found a US internet travel agency that gave us a 5% rebate on the first cruise.  After that Noble gives everyone a 5% discount as a past cruiser, so we have used their website to book (and Skype to phone in our payments).

For further details, here are the blog/reviews of our Noble cruises:

Noble Caledonia Mediterranean B2B 9-2021

https://jazzbeauxmediterraneanblog2021.wordpress.com/

Noble Caledonia Andalucian Odyssey 11-2021

https://jazzbeauxandalucianodysseyblog2021.wordpress.com/

Noble Caledonia Baltic Odyssey 7-2022

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2876257-review-of-noble-caledonia-baltic-odyssey-cruise-on-hebridean-sky-july–august-2022

PS – you can't believe the welcome you receive on returning to such a small ship [actually I have a feeling that you can believe it!]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Andy, your announcement is crushing. For you, to have been brought to this point. For those of us here, who have depended on your understanding of the industry for clear, reasonable explanations of the inner-workings and who have so enjoyed your blog.

Your voice will be missed.

• Like 15

You are probably one of the last persons on this board that I thought I would read such a post. It’s honestly taken me by surprise. 
I also have appreciated and learned much from your experiences and insights over the years. I can only imagine what it must have taken to come to this decision, and then to post about it. You do not mince words, and you do not speak negatively. You are often the reasoning voice. 
We are venturing out to a different line this year, and are watching several lines for the future.  Viking is not off our list, but there are concerns (same itineraries over the years, pre payment, hefty price increases) that have caused us to open up to others. We’ve  had some front office issues, but yours must have been completely off the charts for you to make this decision. That is extremely sad in my opinion. And it’s just pretty unbelievable to me that they let this occur  
Wishing you the best. Hoping to hear from your voice of reason, expertise, and experience in the future….somewhere. 

• Like 10

I am not surprised to to hear this. I think Viking delivers an excellent product but think they can be extremely difficult to deal with. Their demand for full payment in full so much further in advance then others really bothers me.

I have an Great Lakes expedition cruise coming up with them in June with my mother, but just to get it booked was such a bad experience I’m not sure I’ll sail them again. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

We still have great memories of our 2020 World Cruise, which ended prematurely with us being 2 of the final 8 pax, I never thought I would be drafting this type of post. The shipboard leadership team and crew were exceptional and Viking provided exceptional management oversight managing the pandemic, to keep us safe. Sadly, we find the customer service provided by L/A is nowhere close to the exceptional shipboard standards.

Having just had a 2nd very negative experience dealing with the L/A office, we will not be dealing with them again, so at this time, Viking is no longer our preferred cruise line. I don't see any point in getting into details of both incidents, other than noting that their treatment of customers fell well below our expectations, not once, but twice.

I believe Viking's main markets are USA, Canada, UK and Australia/New Zealand, and they have sales/booking offices in USA, UK and Australia. Therefore, us poor Canadians are the only major market without a sales office, so although Viking has a Canadian website and pricing in Canadian dollars, all our bookings currently go through L/A.

If Viking opens a Canadian office or shifts our bookings to the UK office, then we will again consider booking another Viking cruise. However, if the status quo remains, we are sadly done with Viking.

I will continue to monitor the Viking Board, as over these past 5-years, I have met some great fellow pax. However, visits may not be as frequent as before.

I have followed your blogs of the WC relentlessly as we cruise on a Passage to India. Viking is a curious mix of superb customer service, then shows significant service failure and lack of communication.  This was experienced last night and was ship wide. Even some comments by some who would not usually comment. We have a couple of cruise lines we enjoy and ensure we look for itinerary within those two. We have two Viking cruises in the future as they are unique to Viking but likely they will be the last. 

Thankyou for your contribution since my time. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 4

This is devastating news Andy. 

I'm sorry on two counts. Firstly this board will not be the same without your regular, carefully considered and well informed input. More importantly though, I am sad on a personal level to hear that the two of you have suffered a customer service experience so bad as to warrant your decision.

In fairness I have to state that, in our own case, the UK office has dealt impeccably with any issues that have occurred. Nonetheless, all that I have read over the years suggests that pre and post cruise customer service (particularly in the USA) has been by far the weakest element in Viking's offering right from the start.

It is undoubtedly true that people will allow a great deal of leeway to a company who, for the most part, does what they do well. However, as your decision shows, any company can only exploit goodwill from their customers to a limited extent. This is especially true in an area like cruising where our expenditure is completely discretionary.

In addition to yourself, others on this board have expressed dissatisfaction with the customer service operation and this provides only a very small cross-section of Viking's customer base. It is virtually guaranteed that the negative experiences reported here can be multiplied out hundreds, if not thousands, of times across Viking's customer interactions as a whole.

It seems clear to me that those involved in the on shore side of the business are doing a very great disservice to the personable and professional crew members who provide customers with such an excellent experience on the ships. This is not something that is sustainable for Viking in the longer term. I can only hope that your actions and those of others who decide to spend their leisure dollar elsewhere will bring this to the attention of senior management before it's too late. 

• Like 14

Andy my thoughts echo those of the many appreciative posts above. Your positive, factual, informative posts are much valued here; always measured considered responses, no amateur dramatics!

As photopro mentioned, we have had nothing but excellent service from the London Viking team. If someone is unable to answer a question they make sure someone else can and always respond quickly and professionally. You have family in Scotland still, would it be possible to book through them using the UK office? If you love the Viking ship experience how appalling that you can't spend your money and enjoy it.

I feel sure you must have exhausted all avenues having reached the decision that you have. If ever I receive truly awful service I absolutely refuse to give up and walk away. I recently took a complaint up with the Worldwide manager at Apple regarding shocking service at our local store. The problem was solved immediately. Could you contact Torsten directly? If a complaint/problem goes into his team I feel sure that that problem will be elevated. His team will need to react on his behalf. I did this after the Viking Sky incident when I wanted to ensure that the young firefighters, who helped considerably in the Theatre muster station, were recognised and rewarded in some way. A member of Torsten's team responded to me promptly.

I do hope you find a solution to this and I send every good wish to you and your wife.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Andy - I’m shocked to hear that your experiences were so negative you are giving up on Viking. I’ve been working with the same Viking agent for over 5 years and forgo OBC from travel agents as I consider it sort of extra insurance. We’ve had several issues but always got satisfaction with him or referrals he made above him in LA. For example, when we were quarantined last year, he communicated with us every day. 

I realize it could be a long time - if ever - you return to Viking, but I am writing this for others reading this thread.

• Like 5

Andy, count me among the long list of fellow cruisers who will miss your calm, reasoned, and informed posts on all things Viking. I'm not sure if Viking realizes it but when these situations occur there is a ripple effect, causing others to consider looking elsewhere for a go-to cruise line. We have one Viking cruise coming up in August and will have to think carefully about future cruise plans. We would be proud to sail with you anytime.

Take care and comment here when you can. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DGHOC said:

Andy my thoughts echo those of the many appreciative posts above. Your positive, factual, informative posts are much valued here; always measured considered responses, no amateur dramatics!

As photopro mentioned, we have had nothing but excellent service from the London Viking team. If someone is unable to answer a question they make sure someone else can and always respond quickly and professionally. You have family in Scotland still, would it be possible to book through them using the UK office? If you love the Viking ship experience how appalling that you can't spend your money and enjoy it.

I feel sure you must have exhausted all avenues having reached the decision that you have. If ever I receive truly awful service I absolutely refuse to give up and walk away. I recently took a complaint up with the Worldwide manager at Apple regarding shocking service at our local store. The problem was solved immediately. Could you contact Torsten directly? If a complaint/problem goes into his team I feel sure that that problem will be elevated. His team will need to react on his behalf. I did this after the Viking Sky incident when I wanted to ensure that the young firefighters, who helped considerably in the Theatre muster station, were recognised and rewarded in some way. A member of Torsten's team responded to me promptly.

I do hope you find a solution to this and I send every good wish to you and your wife.

Although we no longer own property in UK, yes, I still have family over there, so could use their address to book directly with the UK office. This is something we have considered, as we have previously used UK travel agents to book cruises in UK.

The risk is currency fluctuation and the UK/Canadian exchange rate has fluctuated extensively these past few years. Since we tend to book up to 2-years in advance, ensuring we get a midship lower deck cabin for DW, this is a risk I must consider. If Viking don't address the issue for Canadians, we may consider the option of booking directly with UK.

Affirmative, I am drafting a communication detailing our issues, which will be sent to the Corporate Office.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Affirmative, I am drafting a communication detailing our issues, which will be sent to the Corporate Office.

I appreciate the time you will take to send a thoughtful report to Corporate, as perhaps they will learn something from your letter that could benefit us all.

This thread is an interesting place, as you feel over time that you come to "know" some people, and yet I could pass you on the street without recognition. Everything that I have read from you over the years leads to my conviction that you are an honorable person. You seem to recognize the rules of a situation and abide by them, accepting the responsibility to learn what you should know, and not expecting exceptions to be made just for you. Your specific knowledge about maritime issues is shared willingly, and when you don't have information, you admit that. You have been a classy presence on this board.

Many of us have been tolerant of issues with Viking over the last several years accepting that Covid related issues are still pervasive. However, some lines must not be crossed, and treating your clients fairly and with respect is one of those lines. I have strong suspicions that did not hold true for you, and that worries me for all of us going forward. 

Edited by lackcreativity
  • Like 15

Our recent on board experience makes me think you may have dodged a bullet, Viking are no longer the classy destination focused line that they were, we found ourselves in Butlins at sea. 

We sent a letter explaining why we thought the on board product had declined, the reply did not address any of the points we mentioned, instead we got a cut and paste of paragraphs on the same subject, but not relevent to our comments. 

Viking seemed to think that being on a ship was a privilege, not a discretionary spend that could go elsewhere. A shame, as the crew onboard were as good as usual, the failings were corporate/managerial 

• Like 2

On 5/13/2023 at 10:35 AM, Heidi13 said:

Sadly, we find the customer service provided by L/A is nowhere close to the exceptional shipboard standards...if the status quo remains, we are sadly done with Viking.

I will continue to monitor the Viking Board, as over these past 5-years, I have met some great fellow pax. However, visits may not be as frequent as before.

You've been an exemplar of clear, credible, civil communication of expert insight and informed opinion on this board.*  Those of us who've followed your posts for any amount of time know beyond a doubt that the issues must be serious indeed and that those same qualities are coming into play as you pursue resolution. Please keep us posted. We'll be looking for you on other corners of Cruise Critic as well.

*fascinating anecdotes, too!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

1 hour ago, lackcreativity said:

I appreciate the time you will take to send a thoughtful report to Corporate, as perhaps they will learn something from your letter that could benefit us all.

Andy, it’s encouraging that you are raising your issues with the Corporate Office. I hope a resolution can be achieved that addresses your concerns and keeps you in the Viking fold.

Here’s something to consider. As lackcreativity notes, Viking may learn from your letter in a way that benefits us all. At some point, therefore, you might want to recount your issues, on this board, and how Viking chooses to address them (or not). This information could prove helpful to others who have booked with Viking or who are weighing whether to book.

• Like 5

As a Canadian who has a number of upcoming Viking cruises booked, this frightens me.  We haven’t had any problems, but we’ve only done one cruise with them so far.  I dislike some of their booking policies, but they’re not a big enough issue to have driven us away from the line.  I worry about what experience might be awaiting us if we do run into a problem.  Any chance of a bit more detail or advice to help the other Canadians here avoid experiencing the same problems?

18 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Andy, your announcement is crushing. For you, to have been brought to this point. For those of us here, who have depended on your understanding of the industry for clear, reasonable explanations of the inner-workings and who have so enjoyed your blog.

Your voice will be missed.

Ditto to that. So sad.

• Like 2

Heidi13, thanks for all the information and guidance you've provided.

For what it's worth, I suspect Viking corporate went thru a near death experience with the Covid, and with the vouchers taking up otherwise saleable space on later cruises. It wouldn't surprise me if they lost many of their better front line staff, and severely restricted the latitude offered to supervisors and managers to make things right for the customer.

Viking's philosophy has long been "our way or the highway (seaway?)" and that worked as long as their superior product was backed by superior customer service.

• Like 8

Andy, your advice and explanations have helped us navigate to Viking from Princess. We have done one cruise and have four cruises booked. But I am very concerned by how you and others have been treated.  Yes, the onboard experience is outstanding, but unless the Customer Service on land improves, we too will migrate elsewhere. Given the premium price we pay, we expect, excellent customer support. It seems Viking has lost touch with its roots. 

What cruise line are you considering?