Have boarding times become later .

Windsurfboy

15 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I was puzzled about 12.45 arrival time, as everyone on this board in QG seems to have been given 12. 30 as an arrival time. I don't know what we've done to annoy Cunard , however shall take everyone's advice and turn up at 12.00.

One thing always worth doing is to check what time the ship actually arrives. If she comes in late, then there is not going to be much point getting there at 12. 

We have also been given 3.30 arrival time for 6 June. Very disappointing - no arrival/departure time for QV available at the moment. Cunard need to up their game with regard to embarkation organisation.  Would be interesting to see how many passengers have been given 3.30 - this does not bode well for a relaxing start to our holiday.

5 minutes ago, Pear Carr said:

We have also been given 3.30 arrival time for 6 June. Very disappointing - no arrival/departure time for QV available at the moment. Cunard need to up their game with regard to embarkation organisation.  Would be interesting to see how many passengers have been given 3.30 - this does not bode well for a relaxing start to our holiday.

According to Soton VTS, she is expected at 6.15, leaving 4.30, though I don’t think Cunard ships ever leave on time.

Our first cruise in 1991 was on QE2, it was a compettion prize and we were bussed to it from a hotel, its a long time ago now, and have no idea what rtime be boarded!  After that we cruised on P&O, if my memory serves me right, you turned up at Mayflower at 1pm when check-in opened, then waited till around 3pm, when you boarded by coloured and number cards, given to you at check-in.  Sp its a lot better these days!

9 hours ago, exlondoner said:

According to Soton VTS, she is expected at 6.15, leaving 4.30, though I don’t think Cunard ships ever leave on time

Thank you - I have obviously been looking in the wrong place! In which case no excuse for such a late boarding time. We have usually embarked before 1, except for last September when embarkation did not start till 1 and consequently it was a bit chaotic in the waiting area. 

2 hours ago, Pear Carr said:

Thank you - I have obviously been looking in the wrong place! In which case no excuse for such a late boarding time. We have usually embarked before 1, except for last September when embarkation did not start till 1 and consequently it was a bit chaotic in the waiting area. 

It struck me after I went to bed that I may be talking gibberish, because I was assuming you are travelling on Thursday. If not I apologise. If so, I’ll see you in the queue. 🙂🙂

https://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

This thread started earlier this month about boarding times, appears to give accurate and up to date info on what seems to be new boarding procedure in Southampton. It would be good if this updated and confirmed, by those joining cruises in the near future.

It really is about time Cunard addressed this issue, as what in effect is staggered boarding time for ease and safety, has clearly not been working, and often abused.  Once inside the terminal it is not a problem for some to slip into the the the lines of premium paying pax. Perhaps for this season they are trying to rectify the bun fight in the building, and I hope it is successful.

My thought is that much if the the trouble is from an outdated World Cub plan where the perks of early boarding just cannot be serviced as there are far too many people in these tiers to have a sensible and practical meaning.

Celebrity seem to have a good system for their loyal customers in awarding points/grades. I wish Cunard had something more imaginative and practical so it does not cause passenger angst, as has been seen in this thread. What was set up many years ago, is clearly not working too well now!

After all, happy passengers are likely to return!

16 hours ago, Pear Carr said:

We have a 3-15pm arrival 6 June QV North Cape cruise. Latest ever, used to enjoy early embarkation and lunch in the Lido etc. We have changed our travel arrangements (coming from NE UK) overnight in Hemel then slow drive to Soton visiting a National Trust property. We are Platinum on deck 6. Very disappointed!

Currently on QM2 and on check in our time on boarding pass for Britannia balcony stateroom was 1pm we arrived at check in at about 1230 and was checked in and was given a card saying cabins would not be available until 1pm but you could drop your hand luggage off before that time and explore the ship. Boarding for everyone did not start until 1230 and until then had to wait in Mayflower Terminal. We were called as Platinum with priority boarding at 1250 and by the time we had got through security and boarded it was after 1pm.

Going to be controversial here and say I don't give a stuff if you're diamond platinum gold tin or paper status. Stick to the check in time allocated to you. Last Aug we had a time of 2.15 and dropped the car with cps at 2pm and literally sailed thro the formalities but one of the ladies directing passengers said it had been hell earlier as so many had turned up before their time which had meant big queues and too many people in small space. Go figure 🤔 

1 hour ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Going to be controversial here and say I don't give a stuff if you're diamond platinum gold tin or paper status. Stick to the check in time allocated to you. Last Aug we had a time of 2.15 and dropped the car with cps at 2pm and literally sailed thro the formalities but one of the ladies directing passengers said it had been hell earlier as so many had turned up before their time which had meant big queues and too many people in small space. Go figure 🤔 

Diamond and Platinum have priority boarding as a benefit of CWC and boarding pass embarkation time should reflect this.

If Cunard want to make sure people comply then they need to allow for people being late and push final boarding back several hours after their last allotted check in time. It's not acceptable to most people to be given a 3pm check in time when final boarding is 3.30pm and if you miss it because of traffic tough luck. Last time I cruised it took me about 20 mins just to get from the dock gate to the terminal because the traffic was so bad. Even if we were to stay in Southampton instead of doing the hour or so drive in the morning I could end up being late and missing the ship. I'm platinum with Cunard so it doesn't matter for me but I understand why others turn up early.

On 5/24/2023 at 4:12 PM, majortom10 said:

Diamond and Platinum have priority boarding as a benefit of CWC and boarding pass embarkation time should reflect this.

You have priority boarding at you alloted  boarding time, the CWC benefit does not say you have an early boarding time.  Boarding times are staggered for a reason, to reduce the scrum at the terminal when every one turns up at the same time

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Poole Boy said:

You have priority boarding at you alloted  boarding time, the CWC benefit does not say you have an early boarding time.  Boarding times are staggered for a reason, to reduce the scrum at the terminal when every one turns up at the same time

Priority is the same as early if you are Diamond you can check in after grills and Platinum after that.

I always come early to the pier- better safe then sorry. My boarding time for June 9th is 2.45- I am there at noon- or a bit later, depending on the traffic from London to Southampton. Car will pick me up at 10.30am. So that should work- if I have to wait a little - so be it- I don´t care.

2 hours ago, NE John said:

I just got my June 23 info to arrive at Mayflower Berth106:

Terminal arrival time

13:00

Once we board, will Princess Grill be open for lunch that late on Embarkation Day? 

Both Grills should be 13:00 to 14:30 hrs, so you should be OK.  King's Court would be 12:00 to 16:00 and Golden Lion 12:00 to 14:30 hrs.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, NE John said:

I just got my June 23 info to arrive at Mayflower Berth106:

Terminal arrival time

13:00

Once we board, will Princess Grill be open for lunch that late on Embarkation Day? 

On our recent cruise on QM2 from Mayflower Terminal the earliest embarkation started was 1230. We had an embarkation time of 1300 and was given a card at check in saying cabins would not be available until 1300 but you could drop your hand baggage off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Check in/Boarding times are slightly later due to Disembarkation now being done by Staterooms and not groupings in Theatre/Lounges etc. Hence it does take slightly longer for the Stateroom cleaners to prepare for the next guests.

At Southampton the Check in Staff now have an area outside the Terminals were they will direct early passengers to queue and will only allow those passengers to embark when the queues for the passengers arriving on time has diminished. (Then only in 15/30 min segments depending on how early you have arrived and your original boarding time )  Those arriving near to the time  on their boarding pass  and those with Priority Boarding are shown directly into the Terminal Building.

This is what I have found for the past few months both with Cunard and P&O 

The system for Boarding and Debarking works very well when following the requested directions.

Edited by LifeonMars
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, LifeonMars said:

Check in/Boarding times are slightly later due to Disembarkation now being done by Staterooms and not groupings in Theatre/Lounges etc. Hence it does take slightly longer for the Stateroom cleaners to prepare for the next guests.

At Southampton the Check in Staff now have an area outside the Terminals were they will direct early passengers to queue and will only allow those passengers to embark when the queues for the passengers arriving on time has diminished. (Then only in 15/30 min segments depending on how early you have arrived and your original boarding time )  Those arriving near to the time  on their boarding pass  and those with Priority Boarding are shown directly into the Terminal Building.

This is what I have found for the past few months both with Cunard and P&O 

The system for Boarding and Debarking works very well when following the requested directions.

That didn't happen on our cruise we returned from yesterday on QM2 at Mayflower Terminal. We checked in at 1240 for a 1300 boarding pass time and the terminal was full when we arrived with people waiting and the person in front of us when embarking said 1430  on her boarding pass.

Edited by majortom10

They must have been the lucky ones, you will always get some, who are lucky or who ignor the rules, perhaps the person marshalling the queue messed up. Not everyone will obey directions, you do not know how empty the queue may have been before your arrival, hence they were allowed into the terminal building. 

Edited by LifeonMars

We have just checked in and received a check in time at the terminal of 1530 for departure Queen Victoria 25th June.We are Diamond but I am not sure that makes a difference anymore. Latest boarding time 1600. Having booked a hotel the night before we probably now find we could have travelled on the day. We will stick to the time to ensure others arent inconvenienced!