Unknown Credit card charge authorized but not posted

Hi: 

I just got back from cruising on Allure and notice an authorized but not posted charge on credit card I provided to RCL, described as RCL ALLURE NON DCC WEYBRIDGE, authorized on day of embarkation of $138.51, that I don’t recognize. I paid in cash all on board expenses on last day of cruise at guest services. I had prepaid entire cruise total including gratuity in Canadian dollars before sailing. When I called RCL, they said they never posted this amount and don’t recognize it either and to dispute it. My credit card company said it’s authorized not posted and should disappear soon as could be some kind of deposit RCL holds on cards similar to what hotels do, except the deposits hotels hold disappear within few days. Can anyone tell me if they saw similar charges and when these disappear from card statements? It’s been over 2 weeks since I sailed and charge still showing . I have sailed RCL before and never saw these types of charges so confused.

4 minutes ago, chukli said:

Hi: 

I just got back from cruising on Allure and notice an authorized but not posted charge on credit card I provided to RCL, described as RCL ALLURE NON DCC WEYBRIDGE, authorized on day of embarkation of $138.51, that I don’t recognize. I paid in cash all on board expenses on last day of cruise at guest services. I had prepaid entire cruise total including gratuity in Canadian dollars before sailing. When I called RCL, they said they never posted this amount and don’t recognize it either and to dispute it. My credit card company said it’s authorized not posted and should disappear soon as could be some kind of deposit RCL holds on cards similar to what hotels do, except the deposits hotels hold disappear within few days. Can anyone tell me if they saw similar charges and when these disappear from card statements? It’s been over 2 weeks since I sailed and charge still showing . I have sailed RCL before and never saw these types of charges so confused.

We were on Oasis two weeks ago.  We had an authorization processed the first day for $99.75 and then three other authorizations over the week for the actual charges we incurred above the $99.75.  On the last night they charged the full balance to our card and the authorizations started clearing off my AMEX two days later with the last one clearing four days after we got off the ship.  It depends on the actual financial institution your card comes from but mine always clear quickly with AMEX.

DCC is Dynamic Currency Conversion which is where the currency conversion is done at point of sale. Non-DCC would therefore be where the credit card company handles the currency conversion, resulting in (usually) a better exchange rate.
    OR, 
Non-DCC Transactions means Domestic Transactions, Non-Approved Currency Transactions and Opt-Out Transactions.
 It does come from your cc company not from RCL. 
Edited by taglovestocruise

7 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

DCC is Dynamic Currency Conversion which is where the currency conversion is done at point of sale. Non-DCC would therefore be where the credit card company handles the currency conversion, resulting in (usually) a better exchange rate.

The $138.51 would be the $99.75 that is typically authorized the first night converted to CAD.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

The $138.51 would be the $99.75 that is typically authorized the first night converted to CAD.

So, that sounds like the very first charge that Royal, or Carnival, or even Marriott might hit the card with just to ensure that it is a valid charge card. No charge will be charged to the card (the available credit "may" be reduced), it will just show pending for a short timeframe then go away.

47 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

So, that sounds like the very first charge that Royal, or Carnival, or even Marriott might hit the card with just to ensure that it is a valid charge card. No charge will be charged to the card (the available credit "may" be reduced), it will just show pending for a short timeframe then go away.

Two weeks is a long time for it to be there though. They should call again. 

8 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

It's the financial institutions (that issues the card) policies and procedures that determine when the "pending" goes away. Not the merchant.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

We were on Oasis two weeks ago.  We had an authorization processed the first day for $99.75 and then three other authorizations over the week for the actual charges we incurred above the $99.75.  On the last night they charged the full balance to our card and the authorizations started clearing off my AMEX two days later with the last one clearing four days after we got off the ship.  It depends on the actual financial institution your card comes from but mine always clear quickly with AMEX.

16 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

It's the financial institutions (that issues the card) policies and procedures that determine when the "pending" goes away. Not the merchant.

I am aware of that.

4 hours ago, Joseph2018Baltic said:

Wait until it is posted.  For now, it is pending, so you are not charged.  Than come back if you don't know what to do. 

Rented a car from Enterprise due to my car being serviced by a body shop and they placed $300 on my CC as pending.  Same with the Caesar's properties in Atlantic City.

Edited by nelblu

8 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

It's just pending.  Nothing to do until it posts.

This is why you NEVER use a non credit card.  These holds hit a debit card and tie up your cash.  Not an issue with a true credit card, as they don't impact things while in pending status.

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

Elephant in the room here is why on earth are we even wasting our time in discussing this. If these extranneous charges are common why isnt it clearly stated somewhere before buying a ticket. Anacronyms like DCC and cryptic words like 'Weybridge' only serve to frustrate and annoy passengers and leaves me with an impression that the Cruise Company are unqualified to even manage their accounts in a professional manner.
They must receive this enquiry a hundred times a day. 

8 minutes ago, Frejnogg said:

Elephant in the room here is why on earth are we even wasting our time in discussing this. If these extranneous charges are common why isnt it clearly stated somewhere before buying a ticket. Anacronyms like DCC and cryptic words like 'Weybridge' only serve to frustrate and annoy passengers and leaves me with an impression that the Cruise Company are unqualified to even manage their accounts in a professional manner.
They must receive this enquiry a hundred times a day. 

The pending charges are very well communicated during a cruise.

17 hours ago, Frejnogg said:

and cryptic words like 'Weybridge' …

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weybridge

It’s one of the most affluent areas of England. RCI used to have their call centre near there before they outsourced it to Guatemala.  I guess they kept the “cryptic word” instead of changing it to Guatemala as that really would spook some people !! 🤷‍♀️